George H.W. Bush, the 41st U.S. president and father of the 43rd, has died at age 94

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    George HW Bush's service dog Sully pays touching last tribute

I kind of hate to burst the bubble, but apparently Sully was with Bush for less than six months. He was a trained service dog who assisted with tasks like opening the door and fetching objects. This is a great photo into which people read far more than is there. 
    How does this burst a bubble? I'm sure this dog understood that his charge was dead and is sad about it (no, I'm not anthropomorphizing. Dogs do indeed become attached to their owners and miss them - we all know that). 6 months is long enough for a dog and person to become attached IMO. I'm not reading any more into it than what it is: sad.
    maybe not you, but tonnes of people are looking at this picture and seeing it as the dog in mourning over his master's casket, which, honestly, is ludicrous. obviously the dog CAN mourn if they see their master dead, but not a chance this dog understands who/what is behind him. 
    I disagree. I think the dog probably does know who is in that box and that he's dead. Dogs totally know when someone or something is dead, and he would definitely be able to smell who it is in the casket. I'm not saying that the dog is lying there crying inside over it of course. Mostly the photo is symbolic and that is what I think stirs some people's emotions ... I don't understand why anyone felt the need to kind of shit on that, but okay, lol.
    So you acknowledge the pic is largely symbolic, which is basically what often and I are saying, but your next statement is claiming that stating that is "shitting on it". 

was it "shitting on that" when you stated people who like pointless platitude pictures in their house as lacking something in their lives? I don't see this as any different. it's not shitting on anything. it's just having an opinion. 

if the dog knew his master was in that casket, and was dead, I'd imagine his training would require him to get help. he's lying there sleeping. unless dogs are trained to give up getting help if they know their master is dead. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I kind of hate to burst the bubble, but apparently Sully was with Bush for less than six months. He was a trained service dog who assisted with tasks like opening the door and fetching objects. This is a great photo into which people read far more than is there. 
    How does this burst a bubble? I'm sure this dog understood that his charge was dead and is sad about it (no, I'm not anthropomorphizing. Dogs do indeed become attached to their owners and miss them - we all know that). 6 months is long enough for a dog and person to become attached IMO. I'm not reading any more into it than what it is: sad.
    maybe not you, but tonnes of people are looking at this picture and seeing it as the dog in mourning over his master's casket, which, honestly, is ludicrous. obviously the dog CAN mourn if they see their master dead, but not a chance this dog understands who/what is behind him. 
    I disagree. I think the dog probably does know who is in that box and that he's dead. Dogs totally know when someone or something is dead, and he would definitely be able to smell who it is in the casket. I'm not saying that the dog is lying there crying inside over it of course. Mostly the photo is symbolic and that is what I think stirs some people's emotions ... I don't understand why anyone felt the need to kind of shit on that, but okay, lol.
    So you acknowledge the pic is largely symbolic, which is basically what often and I are saying, but your next statement is claiming that stating that is "shitting on it". 

was it "shitting on that" when you stated people who like pointless platitude pictures in their house as lacking something in their lives? I don't see this as any different. it's not shitting on anything. it's just having an opinion. 

if the dog knew his master was in that casket, and was dead, I'd imagine his training would require him to get help. he's lying there sleeping. unless dogs are trained to give up getting help if they know their master is dead. LOL
    Oh okay, HFD is looking to pick a fight, lol! That's always the case with you attempt to invent inconsistencies in my views. :lol:
    I'm questioning why Often (not you - I wasn't talking about you at all) even felt compelled to bring it up in the first place, given the purpose of the thread, which is supposed to be about a man who DIED. I.e. inappropriate negative comment right here, in this thread, over a photo meant to convey loss, IMO. I'm not criticizing shitting on things in general. I'm perfectly happy to shit on all kinds of things, as you know, lol. And shitting on something always involves an opinion. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
    And are you serious? You think that my acknowledgement of symbolism through photography in a memorial thread for a dead president somehow is contradicted by my distaste for lame platitudes in self-affirmation home decor? Obviously you were offended by the insult to your wife's taste or something, or you wouldn't have brought it up, especially not in this bizarre context that makes no sense.

I have no clue what you mean by your last paragraph. His training would dictate that he understand when help is needed, which it obviously is not in that case. A dog, especially a smart, trained service dog, would be able to understand the difference between an emergency situation and this one.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It's obvious we can not agree on the dog, at least we all agree Trump is a great POTUS./s
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    That reporter should go get a lab and see for herself, my lab became quite attached quite quickly as do most dogs...
    I'm much more a cat person than a dog person.  Dogs don't cover their shit and they bark too much.  However, when my wife and I first got together, she had a bench lab (an English variety of yellow lab) named Ariana (Ari, for short) and I fell in love with that dog and when she got old and we had to put her down, I cried a flood of tears.
    Cats are nice animals, some can be affectionate...

That's the drawback od dog ownership, scoop the poop.  I certainly can understand your emotions, the pet becomes a big part of your life.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'd rather pick up poop on a walk from a dog than have my house constantly smell like litter and shit all the time from a cat.
    It's obvious we can not agree on the dog, at least we all agree Trump is a great POTUS./s
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    All living Presidents will at the funeral Wednesday, when Trump drops, none will be there.  His funeral might be held jail.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh okay, HFD is looking to pick a fight, lol! That's always the case with you attempt to invent inconsistencies in my views. :lol:
    I'm questioning why Often (not you - I wasn't talking about you at all) even felt compelled to bring it up in the first place, given the purpose of the thread, which is supposed to be about a man who DIED. I.e. inappropriate negative comment right here, in this thread, over a photo meant to convey loss, IMO. I'm not criticizing shitting on things in general. I'm perfectly happy to shit on all kinds of things, as you know, lol. And shitting on something always involves an opinion. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
    And are you serious? You think that my acknowledgement of symbolism through photography in a memorial thread for a dead president somehow is contradicted by my distaste for lame platitudes in self-affirmation home decor? Obviously you were offended by the insult to your wife's taste or something, or you wouldn't have brought it up, especially not in this bizarre context that makes no sense.

I have no clue what you mean by your last paragraph. His training would dictate that he understand when help is needed, which it obviously is not in that case. A dog, especially a smart, trained service dog, would be able to understand the difference between an emergency situation and this one.
    I am not trying to pick a fight. I'm not inventing anything. And I didn't get offended in the slightest by your comment about the live love laugh shit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I am not trying to pick a fight. I'm not inventing anything. And I didn't get offended in the slightest by your comment about the live love laugh shit. 
    Okay great - moving on...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited December 2018
    I'd rather pick up poop on a walk from a dog than have my house constantly smell like litter and shit all the time from a cat.
    A)  The litter goes in a box, not on your living room floor.  :lol:

b)  You have scoop it out now and then.

C) If you have an outdoor cat you would be hard pressed to find cat shit and probably will never step in it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

When it snows, my dogs waste is buried...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    When it snows, my dogs waste is buried...lol
    and then spring reveals the big brown swamp. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

We better get this thread back on track before it ends up going to shit...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Bob Dole standing up at the casket was a tear jerker....I don't care if you like him or not
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    My god if you clean out the litter pans every other day or so you wouldn't even know they were there.

Cats are the greatest pets.  I love dogs but cats can be left alone for a weekend without needing anyone to stop by and feed them or take them out to shit.

Plus, they are really fluffy and soft.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    My god if you clean out the litter pans every other day or so you wouldn't even know they were there.

Cats are the greatest pets.  I love dogs but cats can be left alone for a weekend without needing anyone to stop by and feed them or take them out to shit.

Plus, they are really fluffy and soft.
    yeah, before I was married to a walking allergic reaction, I'd get teased by "guys" for being a cat guy vs being a dog guy. cause apparently your penis is bigger the bigger the dog you own. 

cats are so low maintenance and don't give one flying fuck about anything. how is that not to be admired as opposed to a drooling moron that will do anything for you and eats the shit of other animals?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Sully has found gainful employment working at Walter Reed with injured soldiers.  It should be clear, just like his owner, Sully to wants to spend his life serving others.  You rock Sully.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

C) If you have an outdoor cat you would be hard pressed to find cat shit and probably will never step in it.
    D) You keep the litter box on your balcony, not inside (I know some don't have an option, but I find a litter box indoor fairly gross. I won't do it. I keep my balcony door open a bit 24/7 instead, even in winter).
    But yeah, you clean the litter. No home should ever smell like shit if you're a decent cat owner. Only disgusting people who don't clean the litter enough have stinky homes.
    He likely will not take up his new post until after the funeral.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:

Outdoor cats are the worst! I hate them.
    They leave pee stains on my lawn, footprints on my car, drive my dog crazy for going into our backyard!  I don't know why anyone thinks its okay to have an outdoor cat who thinks every yard is their yard.
    I've hard to save my neighbor's cat twice from my dog, in my own yard. And another time it found a way inside our house and got cornered by my dog, had to call my neighbor to come get it. Then he later told me he'd be pissed and ask for me to pay for another cat if our dog and killed it, our dog who never left our yard.
    I hate outdoor cats.
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

They leave pee stains on my lawn, footprints on my car, drive my dog crazy for going into our backyard!  I don't know why anyone thinks its okay to have an outdoor cat who thinks every yard is their yard.
    I've hard to save my neighbor's cat twice from my dog, in my own yard. And another time it found a way inside our house and got cornered by my dog, had to call my neighbor to come get it. Then he later told me he'd be pissed and ask for me to pay for another cat if our dog and killed it, our dog who never left our yard.
    I hate outdoor cats.
    LOL.  If that happens just hide the dead cat in his yard...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I hate outdoor cats.
    Yeah, they shit in people's veggie gardens, that it true. I had a couple outdoor cats when I was younger who did just that. It's disgusting. I once caught one literally having diarrhea right into my roommate's bean rows.... At least I hated the roommate. He was a total fucking prick, lol. He got scabies from being a man-whore and didn't tell any of us, even though they're completely contagious via furniture and stuff. So I wasn't upset that my cat had violent diarrhea on his vegetables, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I hate outdoor cats.
    A dog owner complaining about a cat is priceless.

1) I’ve never heard a neighbors cat meowing through the night or in the morning...I’ve heard plenty of neighbors dogs...and I want them to go away.
    2) I’ve literally never had cat poop in my yard or driveway or stepped in cat poop anywhere....I’ve had dogs poop in my yard, on the sidewalk.
    3) I’ve never had a cat owner bring their cat into a brewery l, etc I was at and had them walking around sniffing me and even jumping on people while saying “don’t worry he is a nice cat”...

Seriously though cats and dogs are awesome. But I hate many dog owners. Why does your dog have to go everywhere with you for fukes sake?
    hippiemom = goodness
    outdoor cats (unteathered) are outlawed in Manitoba. have been for many years. it's fucking creepy seeing my neighbours white cat teathered and walking in a circle with its belly on the ground

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I hate outdoor cats.

1) I’ve never heard a neighbors cat meowing through the night or in the morning...I’ve heard plenty of neighbors dogs...and I want them to go away.
    2) I’ve literally never had cat poop in my yard or driveway or stepped in cat poop anywhere....I’ve had dogs poop in my yard, on the sidewalk.
    3) I’ve never had a cat owner bring their cat into a brewery l, etc I was at and had them walking around sniffing me and even jumping on people while saying “don’t worry he is a nice cat”...

Seriously though cats and dogs are awesome. But I hate many dog owners. Why does your dog have to go everywhere with you for fukes sake?
    Why is that priceless?
    I'm only complaining about outdoor cats.
    I am 100% confident in saying my dog has never pooped in anyone else's yard or driveway. He's kept in my yard and house and doesn't roam the neighborhood pooping. I do find cat poop in my yard and pee spots that kill the grass. 
    When my dog barks, I take him inside, he sleeps inside and rarely barks during the night. The rare occasions he does, there's usually some animal (usually my neighbor's cat) in our yard, or in 1 occasion some stranger who I found out the next day the police were on a manhunt for.
    I've heard plenty of cats at night. Although not as loud as a dog, they are not uncommon to hear. Especially outside alley cats that want to get into a territorial fight.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I hate outdoor cats.

Why is that priceless?
    I'm only complaining about outdoor cats.
    I am 100% confident in saying my dog has never pooped in anyone else's yard or driveway. He's kept in my yard and house and doesn't roam the neighborhood pooping. I do find cat poop in my yard and pee spots that kill the grass. 
    When my dog barks, I take him inside, he sleeps inside and rarely barks during the night. The rare occasions he does, there's usually some animal (usually my neighbor's cat) in our yard, or in 1 occasion some stranger who I found out the next day the police were on a manhunt for.
    I've heard plenty of cats at night. Although not as loud as a dog, they are not uncommon to hear. Especially outside alley cats that want to get into a territorial fight.
    Same here.  My dog only poops in my yard.  Rarely barks.  Even the mailperson barely gets a rise out of her.  Getting up in the morning to her beautiful face, priceless.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Bob Dole standing up at the casket was a tear jerker....I don't care if you like him or not
    Respect!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I’ve heard dogs bark and cats meow and squeal. I’ve seen dog shit and cat shit out and about in yards and gardens and elsewhere. I’ve cleaned up dog barf and car barf.

There’s no rational way to choose one over the other; it just comes down to which you prefer. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • I’ve heard dogs bark and cats meow and squeal. I’ve seen dog shit and cat shit out and about in yards and gardens and elsewhere. I’ve cleaned up dog barf and car barf.

There’s no rational way to choose one over the other; it just comes down to which you prefer. 
    Car barf? Next time try the super unleaded.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

Dogs miss their owners, sure, or at least some dogs, for some periods of time. It’s how people impute other thoughts and feelings to animals that annoys me. They are their own thing; they have completely their own behaviours and reactions. It does not alll revolve around us and it is not the same as ours, so it’s ridiculous and disrespectful to insist that their motives are the same as ours. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf