Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Does anyone here have a Fitbit? My buddy highly recommends them and the Charge2 is on sale, thinking about getting it.

Call me paranoid, but I'm not eager to give my personal data away, particularly as it relates to my health and my location. Given data leaks and hacking, I am avoiding this. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Does anyone here have a Fitbit? My buddy highly recommends them and the Charge2 is on sale, thinking about getting it.

Call me paranoid, but I'm not eager to give my personal data away, particularly as it relates to my health and my location. Given data leaks and hacking, I am avoiding this. 
    I probably wouldn't be using the GPS. More for calories burned. It's $144, cheaper than the non gps Alta. Hot deal.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

I probably wouldn't be using the GPS. More for calories burned. It's $144, cheaper than the non gps Alta. Hot deal.
    Odds are someone is going to be able to get that information at some point. And why do you need to know how many calories you burned? It’s all just an estimate anyway, with a Fitbit; it’s not accurate. Measuring heart rate does have value, especially if you do end up doing a HIIT workout. 

Find an activity you enjoy and will stick with, work out hard, and cut out the junk food. The rest will take care of itself. 
    Eh I just purchased one.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226

Odds are someone is going to be able to get that information at some point. And why do you need to know how many calories you burned? It’s all just an estimate anyway, with a Fitbit; it’s not accurate. Measuring heart rate does have value, especially if you do end up doing a HIIT workout. 

Find an activity you enjoy and will stick with, work out hard, and cut out the junk food. The rest will take care of itself. 

Yeah, I got a FitBit, found it was wildly inaccurate. I'm a pretty serious runner, so I invested in nice Garmin -- great tool for me, probably useless for a non-runner (or at least a waste of money).
    And, yes, with feeling: the best kind of exercise is the kind you will keep doing. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Thanks dude.
    How can I do legs and core without a machine?
    I only have the dumbells and 28kgs worth of weights.
    Legs: (google these for images, etc.)
    -- walking lunges (hold dumbbell in each hand)
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- sumo squats with dumbbells
    -- side lunges holding weight (start standing feet together, step out to side and bend at hip and knee, kind of like stretching)
    -- step-ups
    No machines needed for any of those. I just did all of these, actually -- I'm in a hotel with the usual crap exercise facilities. It's not the same as squatting 500 pounds, but it doesn't sound like you're at that point,anyway. :-) (neither am I)

Core -- get a stability ball (also called a Swiss ball). Use it for crunches. You also can do sort of reverse crunches -- get in plank position with shins on the ball, pull feet toward you like a reverse crunch. You also can do pike-ups with the ball, but I'd wait on those, LOL.

Core with dumbbells -- you can do oblique exercises, I do tons of these. Stand, feet together, dumbbell in one hand at your side. Bend sideways as far as you can go, keeping core tight, lift back to upright position. Do 12-20 on one side, then switch sides.

Core with a weight/ plate: hold the weight in your hands as you do crunches, but lift your shoulders straight up off the floor instead of up and forward, holding the weight up in the air over your head when you are in starting position (lying down). Once these no longer feel like you are dying, LOL, have your arms with the weight extended out on the floor above your head when you are lying down (so you are increasing the length of your lever, as it were, making this MUCH harder).

If you are new to core exercises, yes, you WILL be sore for a few days. DOMS is "delayed onset muscle soreness," usually the second day after the activity will be when you are most sore. This will lessen as your body gets used to the new activities.

Please, please, start easy. Lots and lots of "weekend warriors" and formerly sedentary people who forget that they aren't as young as they used to be tear into intense exercise and hurt themselves straight away. Slow and steady will work much better, I promise.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    @Thoughts_Arrive there are tons of core exercises that you can do without machines. Some basic equipment, like the stability ball and the Bosu ball, can help, but you can do all kind of core exercises with just a bit of floor space. Google "best core exercises" for more ideas.

Until you are ready to lift heavy, I think you are better off doing bodyweight exercises and work with dumbbells, etc., instead of using machines. You will work stabilizing muscles more, be forced to work on things like balance (important as we get older!). Once you are ready to squat and deadlift heavier weight, you can decide if you want to join a gym or buy yourself a rack and more weights, depending on your situation.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Thanks dude.
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- side lunges holding weight (start standing feet together, step out to side and bend at hip and knee, kind of like stretching)
    -- step-ups
    No machines needed for any of those. I just did all of these, actually -- I'm in a hotel with the usual crap exercise facilities. It's not the same as squatting 500 pounds, but it doesn't sound like you're at that point,anyway. :-) (neither am I)

Core -- get a stability ball (also called a Swiss ball). Use it for crunches. You also can do sort of reverse crunches -- get in plank position with shins on the ball, pull feet toward you like a reverse crunch. You also can do pike-ups with the ball, but I'd wait on those, LOL.

Core with dumbbells -- you can do oblique exercises, I do tons of these. Stand, feet together, dumbbell in one hand at your side. Bend sideways as far as you can go, keeping core tight, lift back to upright position. Do 12-20 on one side, then switch sides.

Core with a weight/ plate: hold the weight in your hands as you do crunches, but lift your shoulders straight up off the floor instead of up and forward, holding the weight up in the air over your head when you are in starting position (lying down). Once these no longer feel like you are dying, LOL, have your arms with the weight extended out on the floor above your head when you are lying down (so you are increasing the length of your lever, as it were, making this MUCH harder).

If you are new to core exercises, yes, you WILL be sore for a few days. DOMS is "delayed onset muscle soreness," usually the second day after the activity will be when you are most sore. This will lessen as your body gets used to the new activities.

Please, please, start easy. Lots and lots of "weekend warriors" and formerly sedentary people who forget that they aren't as young as they used to be tear into intense exercise and hurt themselves straight away. Slow and steady will work much better, I promise.
    Thank you for all this information. I have always been active but I have been sedentary for the last couple years and I have had birthdays every year, so I need to recognize that I won't 'bounce' back as well as I did when I was younger. 

I am starting with stretching. I was in gymnastics and competitive cheerleading from the 4th grade on through college and the one thing that I can always rely on is stretching exercises. It's a start. 

Core is gonna be a bitch.
    Ha. Yes, my husband hates core work. As a result, that's the one area where I'm stronger than he is. But a strong core helps you everywhere else.

And just a reminder for anyone dreaming of six-pack abs: That's also affected by the amount of body fat you have. But whether you have a six-pack, a one-pack, or a throw pillow, putting in the work will make you stronger and help you feel better. :-)
    Ha. Yes, my husband hates core work. As a result, that's the one area where I'm stronger than he is. But a strong core helps you everywhere else.

And just a reminder for anyone dreaming of six-pack abs: That's also affected by the amount of body fat you have. But whether you have a six-pack, a one-pack, or a throw pillow, putting in the work will make you stronger and help you feel better. :-)
    I had my back broken when I was in high school so as I've gone through life it has become more of a problem. A lot of the core exercises are difficult because of my lack of muscle in my core, but also because they hurt my back. But I know the stronger my core is, the more support it will give to my back. I've always hated the stomach/abdominal exercises though, that's my albatross. 
    njnancy said:
    Thanks dude.
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- step-ups

Thank you for all this information. I have always been active but I have been sedentary for the last couple years and I have had birthdays every year, so I need to recognize that I won't 'bounce' back as well as I did when I was younger. 

I am starting with stretching. I was in gymnastics and competitive cheerleading from the 4th grade on through college and the one thing that I can always rely on is stretching exercises. It's a start. 

You’ve had birthdays every year too? Crap, that’s our problem, then! 

:lol:
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    A throw pillow :lol::rofl:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,215
    rgambs said:
    Gym life.

I'm still trucking along, excelling at mediocrity lol
    I was going to back off on overall volume, but I never did.  Maybe Nov. 1st.
    Sometime in the next week or so I will hit a new all-time low in weight, muscle growth is very slow but steady, same with strength increases...very slow, but I am losing weight so even staying flat in strength through that is a victory.

Wouldn't it be impossible to reach an all-time low in weight? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm starting to get back at it. Took up golf a few years and, since then, all the free time I used to spend going to the gym was primarily used on golfing or practicing on the range and stuff. 

Need to shed some pounds and put some muscle back on...seems like there's a lot of good info in this here thread. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    njnancy said:
    Thanks dude.
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- step-ups

You’ve had birthdays every year too? Crap, that’s our problem, then! 

:lol:
    Birthdays should be suspended during times of non-fitness, illness and tragedy. That would be quite helpful (and I'd be a bunch younger right now). :wink:
    Well, I had toast and coffee so far today and no exercise. This is probably not a good start. 
    rgambs said:
    Gym life.

I'm still trucking along, excelling at mediocrity lol
    I was going to back off on overall volume, but I never did.  Maybe Nov. 1st.
    Sometime in the next week or so I will hit a new all-time low in weight, muscle growth is very slow but steady, same with strength increases...very slow, but I am losing weight so even staying flat in strength through that is a victory.

Wouldn't it be impossible to reach an all-time low in weight? 
    Depends. Are we talking birth weight, or weight at conception? 
    Thanks dude.
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- step-ups

Thank you for taking the time out to type that out haha.
    I am struggling to visualise the first core exercise.
    I have a stability ball, had to deflate it and box it as I have no room for it. Bought it years ago.
    Yes, I will definitely start light as I am 34 and my body seems to be slower these days to recover and I'm picking up more injuries.
    @Thoughts_Arrive there are tons of core exercises that you can do without machines. Some basic equipment, like the stability ball and the Bosu ball, can help, but you can do all kind of core exercises with just a bit of floor space. Google "best core exercises" for more ideas.

Until you are ready to lift heavy, I think you are better off doing bodyweight exercises and work with dumbbells, etc., instead of using machines. You will work stabilizing muscles more, be forced to work on things like balance (important as we get older!). Once you are ready to squat and deadlift heavier weight, you can decide if you want to join a gym or buy yourself a rack and more weights, depending on your situation.
    Thanks again.
    Yep, not keen on machines at this stage.
    Just my dumbells and the steps I have at home.
    I'm starting to get back at it. Took up golf a few years and, since then, all the free time I used to spend going to the gym was primarily used on golfing or practicing on the range and stuff. 

Need to shed some pounds and put some muscle back on...seems like there's a lot of good info in this here thread. 
    yay
    This fitbit is cool. Liking the sleep stats.
    I need more time in deep sleep, no wonder I don't feel refreshed when I wake up.
    Thanks dude.
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- step-ups

I have a stability ball, had to deflate it and box it as I have no room for it. Bought it years ago.
    Yes, I will definitely start light as I am 34 and my body seems to be slower these days to recover and I'm picking up more injuries.

Not for beginners, LOLOL -- I think my trainer made me do these to entertain the rest of the gym:

Thanks dude.
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- step-ups

Thanks.
    My ball is way bigger than that. Not sure if I can do it on what I have.
    I've done planks before, holding for 1 minute before collapsing. I find push ups leaves my core sore.
    And, @Thoughts_Arrive -- dude, 34?!?!? :o:o:o I'll be 50 next month. It just keeps getting better....
    Thanks dude.
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- step-ups

Thanks.
    I've done planks before, holding for 1 minute before collapsing. I find push ups leaves my core sore.

Of course they leave your core sore - that's what happens when you first start. It's expected. 

Also, "my ball is way bigger than that" made me snicker. 
    Not for beginners, LOLOL -- I think my trainer made me do these to entertain the rest of the gym:

I think I need to get one of those balls. That looks fun. I kind of suspect that I'd need someone to hold the ball while I get my feet up, though ;)
    Thanks dude.
    -- split squats (same)
    -- one-legged deadlifts
    -- step-ups

Thanks.

Of course they leave your core sore - that's what happens when you first start. It's expected. 

Also, "my ball is way bigger than that" made me snicker. 
    I thought it may sound funny lol

yay
    Please stop being an internet troll. My feelings are hurt. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited December 2018

yay
    Please stop being an internet troll. My feelings are hurt. 
    nay