Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    Since this is my birthday month I've been eating like it's going out of style for the past two weeks. I'm starting back on the exercise route in September. I already asked a couple co-workers to check up on me. They will probably ask How is exercising going? That sort of thing.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I saw a recent picture of myself and I thought, Gym Time! I can't expect the same half-assed exercise behaviors to give me different results, eh?

The last time I joined a gym was in 2009, and I rarely went. This one is a few blocks away from my work. I had a tour and it seems average+, but I can work with what they have. 

Oi!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Gym life.

I'm still trucking along, excelling at mediocrity lol
    I was going to back off on overall volume, but I never did.  Maybe Nov. 1st.
    Sometime in the next week or so I will hit a new all-time low in weight, muscle growth is very slow but steady, same with strength increases...very slow, but I am losing weight so even staying flat in strength through that is a victory.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Signed my name on the dotted line at the gym. Yay!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212
    So.... it's been a while.

How is everyone doing?

Somehow, I keep making gains. I shocked the hell out of my trainer the other day by doing three sets of six unassisted dips. :-) Yesterday, I bumped that up to eight. :-D  I'm squatting and deadlifting 145, and I no longer feel like I'm about to die while I'm doing it (which means my trainer probably will up the weight tomorrow....).

I'm not putting in the effort I would like to be making on my runs. Dark mornings definitely have been a factor there, along with lots of chaos (we're moving!). But I'm hoping to get that back on track... tomorrow.

And I also have to say, I feel good about how I look! How often does a woman my age -- or any woman -- say that? I'm not doing any of this for appearances, but looking great certainly is a nice side benefit. :-)

What are you all doing to stay on top of things during the holiday season?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I quit smoking 16 months ago and have weight to lose. I have been very sedentary over the same period of time so I need to get back to where I was. I'm not a gym person. I won't go. I love yoga, which was fine when I was just maintaining. Now I need to figure out what will work with my goals, age, lifestyle, limitations. 

So I'm on the weight loss train too. I'm good with the healthy eating. I have to start to move and do so in the most effective method. 

Let you know when I actually get started.
    Good luck finding what works for you! My kids' doctor always said, the "best" exercise is the kind you will do regularly.

I'm a runner; it's a sickness. I sure do get tired of hearing "but what about your knees??!?!?" That''s usually from cyclists, who are super-keen on converting me to bike-riding. But I don't want biking to be my primary form of cardio. So... I smile and keep running. Do what works for you; it's your body, after all.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    I've been climbing up a storm the last few months. Because my schedule was up in the air over the summer and early fall, I focused on my endurance (with auto-belays) and on bouldering, since I didn't always have a belay partner, and I've really noticed the difference. My climbing skills have improved and I'm easily sending the 5-10a-ds, which sometimes gave me a struggle a few months back. My challenge level is now 5-11s and I've sent one 5-12, though it damn near killed me ;). I've joined a drop in class for climbers climbing 5-11s and higher that runs at my gym once monthly and have enjoyed it so far. I was nervous before the first one, thinking that they were going to throw us onto 5-12s and shout at us, but no, it was very chill. Climbers are generally very chill :lol:

Still cycling almost every day. It's a bit more of a challenge when the ride home is pitch black, and once we get ice on the roads I will have my daily freak out over it, but I'll get through.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    I have not been doing so great with working out. I hurt myself lifting twice over the summer and other commitments really limited my gym time until late. I'm basically starting over and going to build back up to where I was last spring. I need to lose some weight, but I find that I have a hard time losing, so don't really have any goals for that. Portion control and late night snacking are my downfall...just need to get some better self-discipline. 
    Congrats on quitting smoking, njnancy. I quit a few years ago and am thankful I did.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Congrats on quitting smoking, njnancy. I quit a few years ago and am thankful I did.
    Thanks. I'm glad I did also. I was getting to the point that I just didn't think it was going to happen. But then it did.  Congrats to you also, not easy!!

I need to take advantage of my hopefully healthier lungs now - I've always been more concerned with being flexible than with cardio or muscle and that will continue as it's been a thing my whole life. But I know that I need to work out my heart and so I need to find something I like. 

I usually have dinner late, so that could probably be considered late night snacking. 

@curmudgeoness You're right - if I don't like it, I won't do it. All of the runners that I've known have been just like you. 

@oftenreading You have that fear of ice thing, right? It's so congested here that cycling isn't appealing; although people do it. Bike lanes are not really available so they are constantly getting harassed by car drivers.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    So recently I was diagnosed with fatty liver and elevated cholesterol. 
    I weigh 94 kgs. Need to lose weight and see my GP again for a follow up.
    So I bought a spin bike and have been cycling.
    Last night I picked up second hand dumbells and weights and am trying to learn some exercises as I've never done weights.

What do people think of these....
    http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/the-10-best-dumbbell-exercises
    https://dumbbell-exercises.com/best-dumbbell-exercises/

So many to choose, not sure what I should do.
    Is it too much to do each one?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    My friend just showed me this guy...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhexYROToU4

Looks like a good workout
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    My first thought is that if you haven't been working out, starting with an HIIT workout is a great way to hurt yourself. Work on developing good form on basic strength exercises, then work in higher-intensity stuff.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    Definitely start light!  Maybe try and do two exercises per muscle group at first. Don’t forget that what you eat is key. Just going for a brisk walk is also a great way to start. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Definitely start light!  Maybe try and do two exercises per muscle group at first. Don’t forget that what you eat is key. Just going for a brisk walk is also a great way to start. 
    I have a spin bike. So my aim is to do 20-30 minutes on that to get warmed up.
    Thanks guys.
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have a spin bike. So my aim is to do 20-30 minutes on that to get warmed up.
    Great idea. You can always google anything and everything and get fantastic ideas.  Yesterday I googled “dumbell exercises for shoulders” and got a ton of results. Two weeks ago I tweaked my shoulders so I had to start slow.  Try to vary your workouts.  One day do the bike, another day take a walk and then maybe try and go for a five minute jog.  
    If you are on Facebook like “men’s health”, they have a ton of tutorials and ideas.  Good luck bud and don’t get frustrated. 
    My knees are shit and I am seeing a physiotherapist for them so no running for now.
    I've got this from another friend...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FN6ovYpkoM

Another friend has offered to take me to the gym to show me the ropes.
    Just so many options I am unsure which to focus on.
    I am thinking bicep curls, bench press and a tricep exercise as well as pec exercise.
    My knees are shit and I am seeing a physiotherapist for them so no running for now.
    I've got this from another friend...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FN6ovYpkoM

Another friend has offered to take me to the gym to show me the ropes.
    Just so many options I am unsure which to focus on.
    I am thinking bicep curls, bench press and a tricep exercise as well as pec exercise.
    Don’t forget legs and back!  Your core is very important. You ask a hundred people and you will get one hundred different responses but my goal each week is:
    3x cardio
    3x abs
    3x lift out of the six major muscle groups: legs, back, chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps.  

Good luck!
    Thanks dude.
    How can I do legs and core without a machine?
    I only have the dumbells and 28kgs worth of weights.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Thanks dude.

You take up rock climbing! :lol:

I know I tell everyone that, but seriously, it's great for your core, arms, legs, shoulders.... and a hell of a lot of fun. 

Or you can do variations of plank for your core - regular plank, side plank, etc., but that's far less fun than climbing. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I've done planks before.
    I find pushups are good too as my tummy is sore afterwards.
    Sit ups leave my lower abdomen very sore for days, doing something wrong obviously.
    Thanks dude.
    Squats!! Planks. Etc.  again, google core exercises with dumbells
    So recently I was diagnosed with fatty liver and elevated cholesterol. 
    I weigh 94 kgs. Need to lose weight and see my GP again for a follow up.
    So I bought a spin bike and have been cycling.
    Last night I picked up second hand dumbells and weights and am trying to learn some exercises as I've never done weights.

What do people think of these....
    http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/the-10-best-dumbbell-exercises
    https://dumbbell-exercises.com/best-dumbbell-exercises/

So many to choose, not sure what I should do.
    Is it too much to do each one?
    Those lists have many of the exercises proven to build muscle. I prefer the barbell over dumbbell for some (squats, stiff-legged deadlifts, bench press). Overload is easier with barbell exercises. Using the dumbbell version will recruit more muscles that help with stabilization, which can in turn help the barbell version. My favorite dumbbell exercises are Arnold presses, regular shoulder presses, lateral raises, incline bench press, farmer's walk, curls (all variations), skull crushers, and overhead triceps extensions. I typically do barbell and machines for legs.

If you decide to go to a gym, try to mix it up between barbell, dumbbell, and machines so that your body doesn't get used to doing the same thing over and over again. Definitely take your friend up on his offer to show you the ropes. It can be intimidating at first, so don't let that stop you. If you have a question or need help (like a spot), don't be shy about asking. Most people at the gym are willing to help you out.
    I've done planks before.
    I find pushups are good too as my tummy is sore afterwards.
    Sit ups leave my lower abdomen very sore for days, doing something wrong obviously.
    If you don't do them regularly, sit ups and/or crunches will definitely leave you sore for a couple of days. If you add in core exercises to your workouts and do them regularly, you should find that you don't get as sore.
    Thank you all.
    Just a question, is it fair to say that the more you weigh the harder it will be to do pushups?
    I can't do many. Is it because I am heavy?
    Does anyone here have a Fitbit? My buddy highly recommends them and the Charge2 is on sale, thinking about getting it.
    Thank you all.
    Just a question, is it fair to say that the more you weigh the harder it will be to do pushups?
    I can't do many. Is it because I am heavy?
    Does anyone here have a Fitbit? My buddy highly recommends them and the Charge2 is on sale, thinking about getting it.
    Pushups will be hard for anybody just starting to exercise, regardless of body weight. However, being heavier will likely make it harder to progress in reps. For an extreme example, take a 180 pound person (82 kg) and a 400 pound person (181 kg) that are at the same strength level. It will definitely be harder for the heavier guy to do pushups. Now, take the heavy guy as a powerlifter that can bench more than his own bodyweight. Pushups will not be any more difficult than other chest exercises. So just keep at it and you'll be able to increas your reps.

I have a Fitbit, but don't use it. Mine was just a simple step counter. Didn't really contribute anything useful to my workouts. Perhaps one with the heart rate monitor or other features would have made a difference. 
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Hello everyone! Great job keeping at it guys! I'm very slowly losing inches around the waist. I recently went hog wild at Thanksgiving and ended up experiencing a diabetic type ocular migraine from too much sugar! I was legit seeing wavy lines and losing my vision. So now I know what will happen when I eat that much. I didnt enjoy it so I will not be eating like that at xmas. I wish I could target fat and get this belly shrunk. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.