Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    edited December 2018
    Batman never skips leg day.

Love this quote, curmudgeoness.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Talking about knees,
    I get bad pain in my right knee when running so I don't do it.
    Scans show no damage. My physiotherapist says it is because I don't have strong muscles around my knee to support it.
    I run in fitted running shoes to suit my foot type.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I had a long session in a gym yesterday with my friend, he showed me the ropes. We worked triceps and chest and I purchased protein powder for the first time. Today I did biceps, struggled with heavier weights, my reps were 6, 2, 3. I then went back to my previous weight and did 3 sets of 20, 12, 10 reps. Feeling it now. 
    Seeing protein powder is expensive and you only get 12 days worth, is it okay to only drink it on the days you do weights? Or do you need to drink it on your no weights days?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    Protein powder is just a supplement. If you get enough protein in your diet, you don't even need to buy it. It is a quick, easy way to ensure you get enough, especially if you're on a caloric deficit (ie trying to lose weight, but keep/build muscle). I typically have protein shakes on weight training days and not on rest days. There are some people who will tell you to take it every day, but I don't think it's necessary. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212
    I doubt that you even need protein powder. Eat chicken, fish, Greek yogurt, eggs, nuts, and you're good.

I modified my carbs a bit. So I don't normally cook pasta or rice anymore, nor do I buy bread. I cook quinoa instead of rice or pasta.

Well, I changed my relationship with food, in general. I used to try to avoid meat, look for "fat-free" foods, and grab a muffin or scone if I was hungry. Now, when I am at a restaurant I order fish, not pasta, I love olive oil and guacamole, and if you see me at Starbucks I'll be buying the ham/egg/cheese things instead of a chocolate-chip muffin. I feel better, I look better, my weight has stabilized, and I don't have cravings anymore.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Why am I experiencing pins and needles continuously in my right hand? Been like this for 3 days now. Bit worried and frustrated. Why does my body not allow me to get fit?
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    Are we ready to post our 2019 shape-up goals or is it too early?  I will sign up for a 10K race that is on November 10. 

Developing running as my 2019 community building tool is part of my 2019 goal. I hope that I am signed up for at least one running group by the time 2020 starts.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Are we ready to post our 2019 shape-up goals or is it too early?  I will sign up for a 10K race that is on November 10. 

Developing running as my 2019 community building tool is part of my 2019 goal. I hope that I am signed up for at least one running group by the time 2020 starts.
    My action goal is to work out less to see better results (if a 5 mile run and 1.5 hours of intense lifting 6 days a week would yield optimal results, I would be huge and ripped by now), and my results goal is visible abs for the start of boat/swim season.  Half of me thinks it will be a breeze, half of me thinks it will never happen in my life lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Ms. Haiku said:

I'm not quite there yet, myself, but post away!

I was looking at some local races last night. I don't know if I'll ever run another marathon (the training is time-consuming and frankly painful, and doing it "just because" isn't really motivation enough, for me), but I am eyeing a few half-marathons, to keep me honest with my training and to see how fast I am,

I'm about to turn 50, so it's as good a time as any to think hard about my goals, short- and longer-term..
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Very good alternatives to planks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYX5FpYZA7c
    Managed to finally complete all 3 sets of 10 on lateral raises, woo.
    Had an hour free session with a personal trainer today and he corrected my technique.
    edited December 2018
    After a whole day out walking around the Royal Botanic Gardens.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818

Great work, TA! 

I have had too much time sitting inside with family lately. I have to carve out time to go for a bike ride or a walk today at least.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Hey @Thoughts_Arrive I hope the walk ended up feeling like the right choice for you (saw your other thread...). I usually find that fresh air and exposure to daylight help my mood a lot.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but I'd caution you against taking that caloric consumption number too seriously. That number, for most humans, equates to something like running a marathon. You got a lot of moderate activity, which is great, but walking 17km and running 40+km just aren't the same (as I'm sure you know).

I've had somewhat better (still imperfect) luck tracking calories using My Fitness Pal. I feel that it gives me a solid base caloric need number (in my case, a 128-lb. woman of a certain age, 1790 calories/ day) and it's pretty good for calculating calories consumed while running. I think it's less reliable for other forms of activity. On the other hand, it's great for tracking your caloric intake.

Anyway -- I burn 3000 - 3500 calories/ day, according to MFP. That's with me running ten miles/ day, lifting for at least an hour, and doing up to an additional hour of exercise, be it lifting, walking, yoga, or self-defense. I offer that as a point of reference. :-)

As a very rough rule of thumb, a 150-lb person burns about 100 calories per mile run.

/lecture
    Hey @Thoughts_Arrive I hope the walk ended up feeling like the right choice for you (saw your other thread...). I usually find that fresh air and exposure to daylight help my mood a lot.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but I'd caution you against taking that caloric consumption number too seriously. That number, for most humans, equates to something like running a marathon. You got a lot of moderate activity, which is great, but walking 17km and running 40+km just aren't the same (as I'm sure you know).

I've had somewhat better (still imperfect) luck tracking calories using My Fitness Pal. I feel that it gives me a solid base caloric need number (in my case, a 128-lb. woman of a certain age, 1790 calories/ day) and it's pretty good for calculating calories consumed while running. I think it's less reliable for other forms of activity. On the other hand, it's great for tracking your caloric intake.

Anyway -- I burn 3000 - 3500 calories/ day, according to MFP. That's with me running ten miles/ day, lifting for at least an hour, and doing up to an additional hour of exercise, be it lifting, walking, yoga, or self-defense. I offer that as a point of reference. :-)

As a very rough rule of thumb, a 150-lb person burns about 100 calories per mile run.

/lecture
    I was going to say the same!

Fitness trackers are good for measuring progress and change, but you can't take the values too seriously in their own terms.  
    Merry Christmas folks!

Great work, TA! 

I have had too much time sitting inside with family lately. I have to carve out time to go for a bike ride or a walk today at least.  
    Thank you! My legs and feet are feeling it today.

/lecture
    I don't regret not going for my long walk. Was good to get out of the house. Nature is awesome for our mental health.
    Yeah I agree with you there. I usually burn 600-800 calories per workout. Be it spin bike, weights, or both. I burn about 3500 per day as well and according to My Fitness Pal app I consume just under 2000 calories per day. 

I don't get why it would give an inaccurate calorie reading though? Doesn't it factor in heart beats per minute and your weight/height?
    I don't know why they are so inaccurate. II had a FitBit 4-5 years ago and found it to be wildly inaccurate -- like, off by 20%. For example: my husband and I ran a marathon as a two-person relay (so we each ran 13.1 miles). I ran the first leg, met the kids, walked 2-3 miles to the finish area where we met my husband, then we walked about 1.5 miles back to the hotel. My FitBit said I had logged thirteen miles that day.

I think FitBits are useful for people who are counting steps or who want to make sure that they have periods of activity throughout the day. For a runner who wants to track distance and pace, etc., I found mine to be useless.

I have about the same calorie deficit on MFP as you do. I'm not hungry. My weight is stable (I'm not trying to lose weight). So I know I'm not starving. I would feel like garbage if I tried to force myself to eat another 1500 calories (that's a lot of chicken breast!). But I do find the app to be very useful as a food diary; it's easy for me to see if I'm getting enough protein or too much sugar.
    They've improved the heartbeat monitor on the newer Fitbits so maybe they've improved the other metrics.

/lecture
    I don't regret not going for my long walk. Was good to get out of the house. Nature is awesome for our mental health.
    Yeah I agree with you there. I usually burn 600-800 calories per workout. Be it spin bike, weights, or both. I burn about 3500 per day as well and according to My Fitness Pal app I consume just under 2000 calories per day. 

I don't get why it would give an inaccurate calorie reading though? Doesn't it factor in heart beats per minute and your weight/height?
    Heartbeat and height weight just don't give you an accurate assessment of calories burned.  Your cardiovascular system improves it's efficiency quite a bit as you exercise more, but the same amount of energy is required for a set amount of work, so the intensity is relative.
    When curmudgeoness runs a 10 minute mile her heart rate probably doesn't rise above 100, but yours will probably get up above 130 and stay there for 6-7 minutes (just guessing on the numbers, but probably pretty close).
    Your increased heart rate will indicate that you were working very intensely and your fitness gadget will measure that against an "average" person's actual workload at that intensity.  So it will think you are hauling ass when you are not and it will think curmudgeoness is slowpoking, which she isn't.  Except for her, she is lol

/lecture

IF you are logging all of your calories (it's hard when you count condiments, cooking oils, etc, which all combined can be upwards of 500 calories a day) and IF your Fitbit calorie burn estimation were true (it almost surely isn't) then you would be losing a kilo per week. 
    I wonder if body composition is a factor/ wild card, too (with regard to tracking calories ingested and burned). So, as I mentioned above, MFP gives me a baseline caloric intake number, based on, if I recall correctly, my gender, age, weight, height and daily activity level.

Last year, when I had my body fat checked, I also had my metabolic rate checked. As it turned out, my baseline caloric needs are about 20 percent higher than they are for the average woman of my weight/age -- I think that's because I have much more muscle and less fat than average.

At any rate, on most days 2000 calories (give or take, LOL, because as rgambs noted the little extras can add up) is plenty for me, regardless of what I've been doing.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    I wonder if body composition is a factor/ wild card, too (with regard to tracking calories ingested and burned). So, as I mentioned above, MFP gives me a baseline caloric intake number, based on, if I recall correctly, my gender, age, weight, height and daily activity level.

Last year, when I had my body fat checked, I also had my metabolic rate checked. As it turned out, my baseline caloric needs are about 20 percent higher than they are for the average woman of my weight/age -- I think that's because I have much more muscle and less fat than average.

At any rate, on most days 2000 calories (give or take, LOL, because as rgambs noted the little extras can add up) is plenty for me, regardless of what I've been doing.
    Yes, there are lots of factors that influence metabolic rate/calories burned that a little Fitbit simply can’t take into account. When researchers measure metabolic rate they have very elaborate gear including face masks that track what is inhaled and exhaled, and they still get only an approximation, albeit a much closer approximation. 

Best to just forget about trying to figure out how many calories one has burned, and focus instead on what’s really important, like how you feel and what gains you are making in your chosen sport(s), TA. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    My legs and feet are very sore still. I put my feet up most of the day. No bike.
    Upper body is sore from increased weights yesterday. Which is good, pain = gain.
    Hopefully the soreness goes away tomorrow so I can do a weight session. If not, rest.
    How are all of those New Year's resolutions holding up? How about those efforts to shed holiday pounds? How are you adapting your workouts to winter weather?

As for me: I am typing this when I should be outside running, LOL.

I've acquired a slant/ abdominal board, at last; bought a spin bike because everyone keeps telling me I;ll ruin my knees with running, LOL; got some new fitness books (running form, calisthenics, lifting, sports psychology); am awaiting the arrival of some parallettes.

I've tried to set goals for the year, and it's hard. I'm making solid gains in leg strength. I'm rebuilding my running mileage, trying to decide if I want to stick with 65 miles/ week or not. But goals....

The parallettes and calisthenics book are to help me work toward a goal of being able to do the "flag." I don't know if that's possible, but my core strength is good, so I'm optimistic.

I signed up for a set of 5Ks and half-marathons; my main goal there is to work through all of the mental blocks I've acquired around racing.

I am trying to decide if martial arts are for me; I'm an extrovert with social anxiety, so I feel constant tension between a need for human interaction and a terror thereof. I'm considering rowing (more cross-training!), but since I can't really swim very well, there might be an intermediate step that I need to take.   :s   And I am looking at things that are way out of my comfort zone, like (don't laugh!) pole classes and aerial/ circus arts. :o

Who knows if any of those things will happen. What I know MUST continue to happen: yoga and mobility work. Now that I'm old, I really notice days when I cut corners on those things. Ouch.
    I'm having a great year so far...feels like it anyways.
    I always discount the first week of the year because it takes time to taper down off the junkfood, holiday laziness, booze, and general overindulgence.
    Since then, I have cut my running out almost entirely, which was hard at first and gets easier every day lol

Bulking up without too much extra padding, so far.  I've been sore consistently since Jan 5th, and I've broken through the squat plateau I was stuck at since July, hopefully I can break through the bench plateau that lasted most of 2018.  
    I'm really excited to be gaining size and strength, and come April, I will be even more excited to shed as much weight as I can before swim season.
    I have not worked out since really the beginning of December. Traveled too much in December for me to get any time to go to the gym. Has been a nice break for my body though. Got over some nagging aches and pains that had been dogging me for a few weeks. This month, I've been too sick to do much of anything. Got some kind of stomach bug around the 3rd and its finally now gone away. I suspect that my wife and I just kept passing it back and forth. I have lost 10 pounds from it though lol.

Getting back to the gym next week as long as I'm still feeling well. I'm going to try to keep dropping weight to get back to the shape I was in fall 2016. For my weight training I'm going to do a modified Starting Strength program and see how far I can go before I can't just add 5 pounds to the last total. Starting bench, squat, and deadlift at 135 and overhead press at 45. Will do some accessory work every session. For having been away from the gym for so long, I'm chomping at the bit to get back.
    I have not worked out since really the beginning of December. Traveled too much in December for me to get any time to go to the gym. Has been a nice break for my body though. Got over some nagging aches and pains that had been dogging me for a few weeks. This month, I've been too sick to do much of anything. Got some kind of stomach bug around the 3rd and its finally now gone away. I suspect that my wife and I just kept passing it back and forth. I have lost 10 pounds from it though lol.

Getting back to the gym next week as long as I'm still feeling well. I'm going to try to keep dropping weight to get back to the shape I was in fall 2016. For my weight training I'm going to do a modified Starting Strength program and see how far I can go before I can't just add 5 pounds to the last total. Starting bench, squat, and deadlift at 135 and overhead press at 45. Will do some accessory work every session. For having been away from the gym for so long, I'm chomping at the bit to get back.
    Reminds me of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 plan, which starts by backing the weight off to build it up slowly and properly.
    rgambs said:

Reminds me of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 plan, which starts by backing the weight off to build it up slowly and properly.
    Its kind of like that plan, except Starting Strength doesn't focus on just one of the compound lifts for a session and its 5 working sets of 5 reps.
    A little bit of reading for anyone who's new to all of this: