Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Having an opening act sucks. Even if they are good, they aren’t who I came to see.
    The only thing that is worse is a second opener

Who was Chili Peppers second opener 27 years ago that impressed all the FM radio honchos in attendance city after city to get their tunes on the air?
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mcgruff10 said:
    Having an opening act sucks. Even if they are good, they aren’t who I came to see.

Who was Chili Peppers second opener 27 years ago that impressed all the FM radio honchos in attendance city after city to get their tunes on the air?
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Expect a terse reply from The Association Supporting Blind Squirrels
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    I’ve enjoyed their openers.

Yes, even S-K.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606

Went to that show. Missed pearl jam-did not care about them back then(whoops regret) saw pumpkins &RHCP. Had to go to NYC to scalp tickets early then home to pick up friend then back to nyc. Then bud saw PJ same show in Oregon and said they were the best! Ahhh shucks. next time  (which there will never be) I'd let my bud sit at home & catch the whole show...end of rant
  • 100 Pacer said:
    I’ve enjoyed their openers.

Yes, even S-K.
    Only one I thought was legit "bad" was Futureheads in Copenhagen 2007. The rest has been okey to great.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited November 2018
    rummy said:
    GA blows
    PJ shows have turned into minor league baseball theatrics. T-shirt cannons coming soon
    Awesome! No more waiting in merch lines!
    No merch lines....people will be waiting to get shot in the stomach with the T-shirt cannon and then turn around and shoot someone else with the same shirt with their personal t-shirt cannon at two or three times the velocity of the original one....

Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Compilations are better than the actual bootlegs.
    edited November 2018
    This may be unpopular here but I'll give it a whirl:

Elton John is a more dynamic touring artist than Pearl Jam. His farewell tour, expected to run 2018- to 2021, will encompass...

300 shows.

Worth stating again.. 

300 shows

That's about 18 years worth of shows for our beloved Pearl Jam (in this limited tour era...I hope they are healthy)

At the Garden last night enjoying the show and remembering the good old days when PJ would be on that stage and play arenas

And Elton played a SOLID 2 hours and 35 minutes.

Not bad for an accomplished star who hit the stage 23 years before Ten 
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625

Elton John is a more dynamic touring artist than Pearl Jam. His farewell tour, expected to run 2018- to 2021, will encompass...

300 shows.

Worth stating again.. 

300 shows

That's about 18 years worth of shows for our beloved Pearl Jam (in this limited tour era...I hope they are healthy)

At the Garden last night enjoying the show and remembering the good old days when PJ would be on that stage and play arenas

I went to a show this year and it was fantastic. Problem is though for me is the copy and paste style of his shows. Conversations between songs and setlist are the exact same night in and night out. I watched a couple of his live videos from the past in the 2004-05 era and some of his comments between songs were identical to what I heard in Quebec this year. Like word for word. Ya the number of shows is up but there is no way I would have watched 7 of his shows this year like I did with Pearl Jam. 

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:

300 shows.

Worth stating again.. 

300 shows

I went to a show this year and it was fantastic. Problem is though for me is the copy and paste style of his shows. Conversations between songs and setlist are the exact same night in and night out. I watched a couple of his live videos from the past in the 2004-05 era and some of his comments between songs were identical to what I heard in Quebec this year. Like word for word. Ya the number of shows is up but there is no way I would have watched 7 of his shows this year like I did with Pearl Jam. 

Certain bands are definitely only meant to be seen once a tour. U2 is one of those bands, thankfully pj is not one of those bands. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2018
    - I don't think a singer in a rockband should need to use two different mics to use during the same song.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • - I don't think a singer in a rockband should need to use two different mics to use during the same song.
    I saw Jack White in SF and he used three....on the same stand...in an attempt to make an understatement, he put on a pretty good show, despite the multiple mics...  :)
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    - I don't think a singer in a rockband should need to use two different mics to use during the same song.
    I saw Jack White in SF and he used three....on the same stand...in an attempt to make an understatement, he put on a pretty good show, despite the multiple mics...  :)
    Tech people, what do the different mics do? I assume they modulate the voice in some way, but I had always assumed that was done elsewhere in the stream, so to speak.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

300 shows.

Worth stating again.. 

300 shows

Certain bands are definitely only meant to be seen once a tour. U2 is one of those bands, thankfully pj is not one of those bands. 

I agree Elton put on a great show...fantastic being a better word...but all 30 shows this year, same exact setlist.

As much as I love PJ mixing it up, id trade that in for a couple of 40 show years like Elton is doing this year. I dont think we'll ever see that again from  seattle.

300 shows over 4 years? 71 years old? That is impressive. 2 hours 35 minutes, same show time as PJ. Double impressive. And im a casual Elton fan.

I dont believe Elton playin 300 shows, or 18 years worth of Pearl Jam dates, has anything to do with the same setlist

What the same setlist allows for is an incredible 4k video and a modest light show without the dark black hole effects and spotlights shining out at me instead of onto the stage, as occurs with PJ. Is there even a Seattle band on that stage?
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

300 shows.

Worth stating again.. 

300 shows

I agree Elton put on a great show...fantastic being a better word...but all 30 shows this year, same exact setlist.

As much as I love PJ mixing it up, id trade that in for a couple of 40 show years like Elton is doing this year. I dont think we'll ever see that again from  seattle.

300 shows over 4 years? 71 years old? That is impressive. 2 hours 35 minutes, same show time as PJ. Double impressive. And im a casual Elton fan.

I dont believe Elton playin 300 shows, or 18 years worth of Pearl Jam dates, has anything to do with the same setlist

What the same setlist allows for is an incredible 4k video and a modest light show without the dark black hole effects and spotlights shining out at me instead of onto the stage, as occurs with PJ. Is there even a Seattle band on that stage?
    I think we are on the verge of a couple of bigger tour years. I think the biggest reason they have been sporadic in the past is they all had young families, and going on the road for for basically three months at a time is not easy.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

300 shows.

Worth stating again.. 

300 shows

I think we are on the verge of a couple of bigger tour years. I think the biggest reason they have been sporadic in the past is they all had young families, and going on the road for for basically three months at a time is not easy.  
    I agree. I think they are going to surprise us all pretty soon
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    I hate all the lectures, politics, shaming, and I used to be pooor rants, Ed goes on, just talk less and play more.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    edited November 2018
    hrd2imgn said:
    I hate all the lectures, politics, shaming, and I used to be pooor rants, Ed goes on, just talk less and play more.
    are you new to the band?
  • kramer73 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    are you new to the band?
    Why ask that? Some of us that have been into the band since the mid-90's don't like that stuff. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Would like to see a strong well played 20-24 song set over a 36 song filler up any day.

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    kramer73 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    are you new to the band?
    Nope, since 92.  I love s good story, but keep all the political/shaming home thank you 
    hrd2imgn said:
    kramer73 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    are you new to the band?
    Nope, since 92.  I love s good story, but keep all the political/shaming home thank you 

Thats what partisans say when someone exercises their first amendment right to try to improve the country

Everybody who disagrees with the bands point of view is not forced to attend its shows
  • hrd2imgn said:
    kramer73 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    are you new to the band?
    More political/Shaming and less rock and roll gimmicks.
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

300 shows.

Worth stating again.. 

300 shows

I am rooting for you to be right, but feeling the emptiness of the last four years itinerary.
    hrd2imgn said:
    kramer73 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    are you new to the band?
    More political/Shaming and less rock and roll gimmicks.
    Less political/shaming for some and less rock and roll gimmicks for others...

Image result for abortions for all simpsons

• wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Chris Cornell suicide was selfish and cowardly..beat that!! I know he was suffering from depression but to do that to your kids is....
     I think someone wished death on me for that one..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Chris Cornell suicide was selfish and cowardly..beat that!! I know he was suffering from depression but to do that to your kids is....
    Anddd shut down the thread. What a stupid thing to say. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Chris Cornell suicide was selfish and cowardly..beat that!! I know he was suffering from depression but to do that to your kids is....
    Sometimes it's best not to say anything at all, even in the unpopular opinions thread.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Sorry but I still feel that way..I pass homeless in the street everyday and they hang in there..the guy had so much to live for..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    Sorry but I still feel that way..I pass homeless in the street everyday and they hang in there..the guy had so much to live for..
    Kay, well just so you know, some suicidal people aren't anywhere near the kind of mindset you seem to think they are. They are not at all capable of having a clear mind about what's good for their kids or what their death might mean to others, or they are in a place that makes them believe that their family will actually be better off without them. No matter how you cut it, you're failing in terms of empathy here.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata