Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:

...she's a beaut Clark.  Very nice!  I love my Pioneer SX-950 and SX-636.
    Word is the x50 series is a little nicer than the x80. I'm very worried about my upgrade bug. 
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Do it!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mrussel1 said:
    I'd love to get a SX-1980.  I haven't read a bad review on that monster.
    My god what could you do with 200 wpc. This 780 is 45 and I can barely get it to 20% driving my towers. 
    Okay, I am officially out of my league. I have lots of researching to do, I hate when I am completely clueless. 
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    My god what could you do with 200 wpc. This 780 is 45 and I can barely get it to 20% driving my towers. 
    Okay, I am officially out of my league. I have lots of researching to do, I hate when I am completely clueless. 
    There's a bunch of geeks here.  Don't feel bad asking basic questions.  Lots of people love to help. 
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    There's a bunch of geeks here.  Don't feel bad asking basic questions.  Lots of people love to help. 
    Thanks, I put a lot of my time into understanding PC's and Androids - all aspects of them and I completely missed the re-emergence of the stereo system. 

I get the idea that the stereo system is so powerful that you can't use more than a small amount of the speaker capacity - but that's about it. 

And what keeps me coming back to the forum are threads that show the genuine kindness of this group of people.  ( I like to debate on AMT, but the kindness is what draws me back). I will follow and ask when I need to. Thanks everyone. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    lol.  I was running my HPM 200w speakers off my 8500ii and when the volume was cranked it was a fun time so I would LOVE for those speakers to reach their full capabilities.

=) 
  • njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Thanks, I put a lot of my time into understanding PC's and Androids - all aspects of them and I completely missed the re-emergence of the stereo system. 

I get the idea that the stereo system is so powerful that you can't use more than a small amount of the speaker capacity - but that's about it. 

And what keeps me coming back to the forum are threads that show the genuine kindness of this group of people.  ( I like to debate on AMT, but the kindness is what draws me back). I will follow and ask when I need to. Thanks everyone. 
    @njnancy I did a whole bunch of research before I finally decided on what I wanted.  I even changed the speakers I originally wanted(and bought) to something else and am happier with them.  Someone on here referred to them as "BAS" type speakers, Big Ass Speakers, lol!!!
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

@njnancy I did a whole bunch of research before I finally decided on what I wanted.  I even changed the speakers I originally wanted(and bought) to something else and am happier with them.  Someone on here referred to them as "BAS" type speakers, Big Ass Speakers, lol!!!
    I had BAS when I was teen/college age - I have no idea where they went. Or how 'good' they were compared to today's stuff - but they did the trick for me back in the day. 
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Looking to upgrade my cartridge on my Audiotechnica LP120 from stock. Thinking about the Ortofon 2M Red. Anyone else done this? 

Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Looking to upgrade my cartridge on my Audiotechnica LP120 from stock. Thinking about the Ortofon 2M Red. Anyone else done this? 

That's what I have. It's a noticeable improvement from the stock cartridge. I have the red Ortofon headshell, also. 
    Looking to upgrade my cartridge on my Audiotechnica LP120 from stock. Thinking about the Ortofon 2M Red. Anyone else done this? 

It's a pretty well regarded cartridge for the price. Balanced and fairly neutral sounding so it should perform well on a wide range of tonearms.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

That's what I have. It's a noticeable improvement from the stock cartridge. I have the red Ortofon headshell, also. 
    Ditto. No complaints from me, and people come in and compliment how my stereo sounds.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I had a red for quite a while.  It was very nice
     My son broke the needle so I went blue and it's definitely better but also a hundred bucks more. 
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981

I went with the Ortofon Blue over the stock for my Audio Technica LP5, a marked improvement for sure..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    Is anyone here using a record clamp or weight on their turntable?
    reesdog said:

I went with the Ortofon Blue over the stock for my Audio Technica LP5, a marked improvement for sure..
    I did notice that it needs to break in.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    dudeman said:
    I have a Rek-O-Kut weight that I use all the time, weighs 500 grams (about 1.1 lbs) and doesn't hurt the wallet at around $50.  I have an Ortofon 2m Blue stylus which already produces great sound, but even with bad hearing (I have tinnitus in my right ear) I can tell a difference using the weight vs not.  Everything from bass to highs come in more crisp and clearly defined. It really helps improve with warped records as it reduces wobble and improves tracking. In my opinion a good, balanced weight is roughly the equivalent of upgrading your cartridge a half step or even more. The only thing about the Rek-O-Kut is it doesn't clear my dust cover, but that's not really a big issue.
    dudeman said:
    I have a Rek-O-Kut weight that I use all the time, weighs 500 grams (about 1.1 lbs) and doesn't hurt the wallet at around $50.  I have an Ortofon 2m Blue stylus which already produces great sound, but even with bad hearing (I have tinnitus in my right ear) I can tell a difference using the weight vs not.  Everything from bass to highs come in more crisp and clearly defined. It really helps improve with warped records as it reduces wobble and improves tracking. In my opinion a good, balanced weight is roughly the equivalent of upgrading your cartridge a half step or even more. The only thing about the Rek-O-Kut is it doesn't clear my dust cover, but that's not really a big issue.
    Interesting. I'll have to check that one out. What turntable are you using?
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Interesting. I'll have to check that one out. What turntable are you using?
    Pro-ject Debut.
    Does the weight seem to change the speed? Also, do you have concerns about additional strain on the belt and motor?
    dudeman said:
    Does the weight seem to change the speed? Also, do you have concerns about additional strain on the belt and motor?
    Project makes a clamp specifically for that table and allows the dust cover to close.  I have never heard about a clamp negatively affecting the table. 
    I debated a clamp but my local av guy said that if I'm using acrylic and don't really play warped records,  I wouldn't really see a benefit. 
    dudeman said:
    No effect on speed.  Physics tells us that a mass concentrated toward the center of rotation will have a negligible effect on overall acceleration or deceleration ("moment of inertia").  Once the platter gets up to speed, the less work it takes to maintain that speed. And figure you're only spinning at 33 or 45 rpm. It can potentially create additional wear over time, but that will also be extremely negligible at best. The Pro-ject Carbon table has a pretty hefty platter to begin with, so the motor & bearings are built with that taken into consideration, and can most likely handle a couple hundred grams of additional weight.  And again, 33/45 rpm for 20ish minutes at a time are hardly stressful conditions. There's really no cause for concern whatsoever.

Makes sense. My concern would be bearing wear. On tables built for use with weights, probably not much of an issue.

I bought one but I haven't used it yet.

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I just purchased from Music Direct a scratch/dent Music Hall 2.2 MMF for $250.  I've been using my old Music Hall 2.2 since 2008.  I had them put on the new Mo-Fi studio tracker cartridge.  Can't wait to hear how it sounds!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I just purchased from Music Direct a scratch/dent Music Hall 2.2 MMF for $250.  I've been using my old Music Hall 2.2 since 2008.  I had them put on the new Mo-Fi studio tracker cartridge.  Can't wait to hear how it sounds!!!

holy shit, man. that cartridge is going for $600. should sound like solid gold

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    lolobugg said:

holy shit, man. that cartridge is going for $600. should sound like solid gold
    Actually, it's $199.  That's the price for the Ultra cartridge.
    Here's the one I purchased:

https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-cartridges/MoFi-Electronics-StudioTracker-MM-Phono-Cartridge?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=353644621602&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8f_eBRDcARIsAEKwRGfmg7HpJZ71b5-TBlnwTSlpNCHOXDGQmmLFr_mqx7m00wZcNCFhkZcaAtplEALw_wcB
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Awesome! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on that setup.
    edited November 2018

Has anyone used the Ortofon Red cartridge? How does it perform. I currently use a 1980 Shure M97 and am thinking about getting the ortofon as a second cartridge. Has anyone had experience with both of these?

I like that they have a plug n play option so that I can just remove the whole headshell when changing between them.  Also does anyone have a recommendation on a MONO cartridge?

Thanks, Logan

Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

Has anyone used the Ortofon Red cartridge? How does it perform. I currently use a 1980 Shure M97 and am thinking about getting the ortofon as a second cartridge. Has anyone had experience with both of these?

I like that they have a plug n play option so that I can just remove the whole headshell when changing between them.  Also does anyone have a recommendation on a MONO cartridge?

Thanks, Logan

I used a red on my Debut for a few years and I really liked it.  And it's very easy to swap them, that's for sure.  It had good detail, tracked nicely, nothing bad to say about it at all.  My son busted the needle on it trying to impress some girls he had over, so I upgraded to the blue.  It is a pretty obvious upgrade.  I think it's about $110 more for the blue than the red, but as always, your performance increase will depend on the rest of the system.  Sorry that I can't compare to the Shure.  
    mrussel1 said:
    lolobugg said:

Thanks, Logan

I used a red on my Debut for a few years and I really liked it.  And it's very easy to swap them, that's for sure.  It had good detail, tracked nicely, nothing bad to say about it at all.  My son busted the needle on it trying to impress some girls he had over, so I upgraded to the blue.  It is a pretty obvious upgrade.  I think it's about $110 more for the blue than the red, but as always, your performance increase will depend on the rest of the system.  Sorry that I can't compare to the Shure.  

no prob. thanks for the review. I feel like the Red is Ortofon's equivalent to the Shure I am using now. Might save up and go with the Blue to step it up a little. thanks again. if anyone else wants to chime in, please do so.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2