rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Why can't we just respect each others opinions? This is a thread called The Concept of God isn't it? Why even take the time to enter this thread, if you only want to criticize what another person believes in? 
    Why would an opinion merit respect just because someone holds it?
    Do you respect the opinions of white supremacists? 
    Do you respect the opinions of men who believe women should be beaten into submission and stripped of autonomy?
    Bullshit is bullshit and it needs to be called out as bullshit.

To your last question...
    Because we want the world to move forward.
    So you are saying only the way you're thinking is the right way. If everyone was thinking like you there would be a perfect world? There is no room for people who thinks differently than you?
    Off course shouldn't opinions that are hurtful to anyone be respected. 
    I didn't say any of those things, and there is plenty of room to disagree within the bounds of reality and rational thought.
    Even subtracting the supernatural, the Judaic legends are ridiculous.  
    God can't be perfect and vain.
    God can't be loving and vengeful.
    God can't be omnipotent and have his plans spoiled by the devil.
    Most importantly, God can't have a plan for everything and abdicate responsibility for the horrific suffering of mankind.

How do you know this is true? 
    Basic logic.  Those examples are all contradictory.  Something perfect can't have flaws, vanity is a flaw, etc.
    So God has been described in a contradictory way? It isn't any proof he wouldn't exist.
    Yes, God has been described in a completely contradictory way by the only evidence that supports His existence.
    It is proof that He surely doesn't exist as we've been told.  
    I don't know maybe you can ask him.
    He's notoriously silent.
    To those who have eyes to see & ears to hear, Our Father speaks loud and clear.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    I can understand how people under extreme duress can turn to God.  Last week when I was in the throws of extreme torturous migraine vertigo I was wishing to God there was a god who would save me.  A few days later while in recovery, I gave thanks to the Unknown Mystery of the universe for being released from the worst of the pain and misery. I don't know about God, but I do thank the energy in the universe for coming around on the good side of things when that happens. My final thought was that, to me, "God" is not some big guy with a beard in the sky, but rather is a word one might use to describe the energy that flows through the universe in strange ways we cannot fully understand.  I don't need to know more than that, I just accept it.
    I'm sorry that you were in so much pain and discomfort. I'm glad that you're doing better sir.
    Thank you so much RYME.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RYME said:
    No they just want to verbally beat Christians into submission tell us that we believe in a bunch of fairy tales.  I have not criticized or mocked anyone here. I have simply told you what I believe.  I started by answering a question that Hugh Dillon posted a week or so ago.  And the majority of you do not like it. I know that I am wasting my time here, but this thread is not about white supremacy or beating women into submission.  God is very much against white supremacy and beating women into submission that is for sure.
    This Thread is called The Concept of God. How can you have a conversation here that doesn't involve God? God is in the subject of this thread.

But then again, there's this...

RYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,180
    May 16 edited May 16 Flag
    Hey smelly, do you ever have any insightful thoughts of your own to add to the conversation? Do you ever stick to any of the topics? Or do you just comment on the commenters?
    Your day must be real fun, go into several of the different threads, find some low-hanging fruit take a personal cheap shot and leave.  That a boy!

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • RYME said:
    No they just want to verbally beat Christians into submission tell us that we believe in a bunch of fairy tales.  I have not criticized or mocked anyone here. I have simply told you what I believe.  I started by answering a question that Hugh Dillon posted a week or so ago.  And the majority of you do not like it. I know that I am wasting my time here, but this thread is not about white supremacy or beating women into submission.  God is very much against white supremacy and beating women into submission that is for sure.
    This Thread is called The Concept of God. How can you have a conversation here that doesn't involve God? God is in the subject of this thread.

Hey smelly, do you ever have any insightful thoughts of your own to add to the conversation? Do you ever stick to any of the topics? Or do you just comment on the commenters?
    Your day must be real fun, go into several of the different threads, find some low-hanging fruit take a personal cheap shot and leave.  That a boy!

Doesn't count.

Ryme did a hand flutter over his heart and this indiscretion just disappeared.

I gotta start being religious. Shit I could get away with anything!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited October 2018
    RYME said:

Oh shucks,, ya got me.  If you read most of his posts you will notice that he usually takes a jab at the commenter he disagrees with instead of talking about the subject.  Highlights one word or two and then sticks it to ya.  I know I'm just supposed to turn the other cheek.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Why can't we just respect each others opinions? This is a thread called The Concept of God isn't it? Why even take the time to enter this thread, if you only want to criticize what another person believes in? 
    Why would an opinion merit respect just because someone holds it?
    Do you respect the opinions of white supremacists? 
    Do you respect the opinions of men who believe women should be beaten into submission and stripped of autonomy?
    Bullshit is bullshit and it needs to be called out as bullshit.

To your last question...
    Because we want the world to move forward.
    So you are saying only the way you're thinking is the right way. If everyone was thinking like you there would be a perfect world? There is no room for people who thinks differently than you?
    Off course shouldn't opinions that are hurtful to anyone be respected. 
    I didn't say any of those things, and there is plenty of room to disagree within the bounds of reality and rational thought.
    Even subtracting the supernatural, the Judaic legends are ridiculous.  
    God can't be perfect and vain.
    God can't be loving and vengeful.
    God can't be omnipotent and have his plans spoiled by the devil.
    Most importantly, God can't have a plan for everything and abdicate responsibility for the horrific suffering of mankind.

How do you know this is true? 
    Basic logic.  Those examples are all contradictory.  Something perfect can't have flaws, vanity is a flaw, etc.
    So God has been described in a contradictory way? It isn't any proof he wouldn't exist.
    Yes, God has been described in a completely contradictory way by the only evidence that supports His existence.
    It is proof that He surely doesn't exist as we've been told.  
    I don't know maybe you can ask him.
    He's notoriously silent.
    To those who have eyes to see & ears to hear, Our Father speaks loud and clear.
    So, just to make sure I've got this straight...
    You're saying it's the fault of the starving African child covered in flies and mud that she/he doesn't hear God's responses to prayer?
    It was the Holocaust victims who lacked eyes and ears?
    You don't ever even realize how frankly disgusting and insulting the things you say are.  THAT'S why people mock you and your religion, because it is abhorrent and you don't even have the mind to think it.

*We've all seen the pictures of the starving children and Holocaust victims so I won't post any here out of respect to the other posters, I think people with beliefs like yours should be faced with those pictures every day so they can get it through their thick skulls that their empty Christian catch-phrases are the true mockery!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    Smellyman said:
    hedonist said:
    This is an idea I could consider  - a “church” for atheists, where people can find a community for fellowship and support without a reliance in the idea of a god. 

I akso like that their first meeting was held in a pasty shop. That’s my kind of church. 

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/30/calgary-secular-church-first-atheist-church-alberta_n_2583930.html
    Glad that "pasty" was a typo, often...you had me wondering there ;)

There are some I know and love who are atheists.  To me, religion or not, it's about one's character.

Live and let live, while doing no harm to others.  Judgments aren't necessarily hurtful in themselves, it's the attempts at control that stick in my craw (and then some).
    Pasties are delicious.  Grandma made them all the time.  LINK

fancy hot pocket is all that is!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Oh shucks,, ya got me.  If you read most of his posts you will notice that he usually takes a jab at the commenter he disagrees with instead of talking about the subject.  Highlights one word or two and then sticks it to ya.  I know I'm just supposed to turn the other cheek.
    You told me I'm going to hell.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Well, I mean......

;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Been there, done that.  It ain't cracked up to what it supposedly be.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    There is no heaven or hell, that’s just fucking ludicrous.  Why the hell would anyone worship god?  Religion and God is likely just another douchebag marketing scheme...

And churches should pay tax...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There is no heaven or hell, that’s just fucking ludicrous.  Why the hell would anyone worship god?  Religion and God is likely just another douchebag marketing scheme...

I agree.  So let's run with that marketing scheme and give it a twist.  What about this:  All churches pay taxes.  The only exemption would be churches that provide homeless shelters, food and clothing, and job counseling.  Do that and the whole church business would change quite a bit.

brianlux said:

I agree.  So let's run with that marketing scheme and give it a twist.  What about this:  All churches pay taxes.  The only exemption would be churches that provide homeless shelters, food and clothing, and job counseling.  Do that and the whole church business would change quite a bit.
    And how many churches provide the minimal services to qualify for tax exempt?  And how much that goes into a collection plate, actually gets declared?  I think it’s safe to assume religion is far from honest.  Well as the great George Carlin said “God is all mighty and powerful, except he needs all this cash” ... of course I’m paraphrasing ... 

It seems like just a marketing scheme.  And like all great marketing scheme’s, they got plenty of suckers.  I just don’t picture myself playing a harp on the clouds ... having a beer with the devil would be most enjoyable ... lol

Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

And how many churches provide the minimal services to qualify for tax exempt?  And how much that goes into a collection plate, actually gets declared?  I think it’s safe to assume religion is far from honest.  Well as the great George Carlin said “God is all mighty and powerful, except he needs all this cash” ... of course I’m paraphrasing ... 

It seems like just a marketing scheme.  And like all great marketing scheme’s, they got plenty of suckers.  I just don’t picture myself playing a harp on the clouds ... having a beer with the devil would be most enjoyable ... lol

Oh I totally agree.  They need to be kept honest.  No more free ride to heaven... or wherever.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Because Christians are a highly hypocritical and judgemental bunch, just like most other organized religious folks. 

In short, they are full of shit lol

https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

I guess I'll be meeting you in hell some day.  See you then!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Because Christians are a highly hypocritical and judgemental bunch, just like most other organized religious folks. 

In short, they are full of shit lol

https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE
    LOL, I love G. C.

But in defense of some people of faith, I will say there are some good ones.  Here for example, is one of my favorites, often referred to (correctly) as "the gay priest", a very cool dude, Mr. Malcolm Boyd:

PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Well, I mean......

;)
    :lol: Well okay, you got me! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    If you ever find this POS god hang the bitch or bastard, please...thank you....

Give Peas A Chance…
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004

If we would say that God is the one responsible for you living, having a life, are you angry about that?
    Annafalk said:

If we would say that God is the one responsible for you living, having a life, are you angry about that?
    My parents gave me life...not some invisible guy in the sky...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Annafalk said:

Why is it always a guy?
    my2hands said:
    Annafalk said:

Why is it always a guy?
    Well since god is myth ... her/him/it or him/her/it
    Give Peas A Chance…
    my2hands said:
    Annafalk said:

Why is it always a guy?
    God is most certainly a guy in all the Judeo-Christian faiths though (and most other faiths too) ... and that is because men created God, and carefully vilified women while they were at it.
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    Annafalk said:

Why is it always a guy?
    God is most certainly a guy in all the Judeo-Christian faiths though (and most other faiths too) ... and that is because men created God, and carefully vilified women while they were at it.
    Good points.  I have little knowledge of religion.  I just think the whole thing is a little silly, but I also get why people go to church, believe in God...to me its because people can imagine their own death, and for many, they can not handle reality when it comes to death.  I also know someone who goes to church just for social activities...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited October 2018
    Oh for Pete's sake, everybody knows God is a woman.  If you don't believe me, ask Michelangelo.

What if God was @PJ_Soul?

What if God was one of us? Someone should write a song about that
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    brianlux said:
    Oh for Pete's sake, everybody knows God is a woman.  If you don't believe me, ask Michelangelo.

What if 'Pete' is God? Their names are often used in similar phrases, and they've never been seen in the same room together...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • my2hands said:

You mean just a slob? Kinda like one of us?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    my2hands said: