The Concept of God

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited October 2018
     I think God wants us to use our brains, he doesn't want us to do stupid things. We need to use our inner compass our morality.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RYME said:
    Life in the flesh is temporary.  That's the motivation for Christians.  Do the best we can. and put up with this because this isn't the way it's always going to be.  We struggle during this time, patiently waiting for the next dispensation of time to come knowing that the rewards will be great.  I certainly don't have all the answers as to why things go on around the world as they do.  I do not consider myself to be perfect or better than anyone else, I do the best I can. But I struggle with life just like everyone else.  I know that faith in Christ is a big leap for a lot of people.  Its clear to me that I'm not going to convince to many people that Christ is the way to go.  
    I am a seed planter.  I cannot make those seeds grow.  I brodcast seeds the same way you would toss out chicken feed or grass seed.  Grab a hand full and toss it out  this way and that way.  Some will take, some wont.  Some will get eaten by birds, some wont get enough water and die out, and some will grow roots, sprout and flourish. I can not control the results, all's I can do is plant seeds and hope they take.
    Satin is responsible for all the pain and suffering in the world.  Not God.  (That never gets talked about)
    Jesus Christ is coming back again. (The second advent)  Its going to shock a lot a lot of people.  When this is in the process of happening, many of those seeds that laid dormant for many many years that I and many like myself have planted will remember what they heard from people like me and others and will spring to life.
    I understand your skepticism though I do.
    Fabric is not at fault 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • RYME said:
    Life in the flesh is temporary.  That's the motivation for Christians.  Do the best we can. and put up with this because this isn't the way it's always going to be.  We struggle during this time, patiently waiting for the next dispensation of time to come knowing that the rewards will be great.  I certainly don't have all the answers as to why things go on around the world as they do.  I do not consider myself to be perfect or better than anyone else, I do the best I can. But I struggle with life just like everyone else.  I know that faith in Christ is a big leap for a lot of people.  Its clear to me that I'm not going to convince to many people that Christ is the way to go.  
    I am a seed planter.  I cannot make those seeds grow.  I brodcast seeds the same way you would toss out chicken feed or grass seed.  Grab a hand full and toss it out  this way and that way.  Some will take, some wont.  Some will get eaten by birds, some wont get enough water and die out, and some will grow roots, sprout and flourish. I can not control the results, all's I can do is plant seeds and hope they take.
    Satin is responsible for all the pain and suffering in the world.  Not God.  (That never gets talked about)
    Jesus Christ is coming back again. (The second advent)  Its going to shock a lot a lot of people.  When this is in the process of happening, many of those seeds that laid dormant for many many years that I and many like myself have planted will remember what they heard from people like me and others and will spring to life.
    The very first 'sell job' is still selling.

Toil in the fields and don't worry about a thing: in the 'next' life you'll be awesome.

People will believe anything if you promise something that sounds fantastic. Look at the Trump phenomenon: 'let's make America great again'. The morons were all in. Common sense told people to be wary, but it made no difference (f**k... America could be great again).

And once the hook is in... it's over. The befuddled herd maintains the course no matter how horrible things become.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    That's grade B (for bullshit) baloney.
    Is God omnipotent, or not?  
    Does God have a plan, or not?
    If yes to those questions, then your statement doesn't make a bit of sense, if you stop locksteppin' and use your noggin.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    That's grade B (for bullshit) baloney.
    Is God omnipotent, or not?  
    Does God have a plan, or not?
    If yes to those questions, then your statement doesn't make a bit of sense, if you stop locksteppin' and use your noggin.
    As Jim Jeffires said, 'Why would Satan torture you in hell?  You're one of his boys!'
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Smellyman said:
    Imaginary seeds sown with imaginary stories.

That was a really weird read.
    You shall see.  Have a good trip.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Johhny Appleseed?

Don't toss those seeds my way bro, I'll throw them back lol
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    Imaginary seeds sown with imaginary stories.

That was a really weird read.
    You shall see.  Have a good trip.
    I hope you understand that you sound clinically delusional when you speak like this.
    These are the same words that every insane person has said to every sane person for the entire history of humanity.
    Heaven's Gate, the People's Temple, the MRTC...they all said "you shall see" and so has every other cult that ever existed.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    good to see Rgambs still knows everything....  

been tlking god on the interwseb for over a year now.   ha.

edited October 2018
    good to see Rgambs still knows everything....  

been tlking god on the interwseb for over a year now.   ha.

Don't worry, you too shall see!

Post edited by rgambs on
    Mocking Christians has been going on since the beginning of time as well.  They were mocking Christ Himself while he was on His way to the cross and while He was on the cross.
    What you don't realize is that God's prophecies are coming to pass almost on a daily basis just as they were written in the Bible.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited October 2018
    RYME said:
    Mocking Christians has been going on since the beginning of time as well.  They were mocking Christ Himself while he was on His way to the cross and while He was on the cross.
    What you don't realize is that God's prophecies are coming to pass almost on a daily basis just as they were written in the Bible.

I think that your timeline is a bit off, if you think that Christians have been mocked since "the beginning of time".

And Christians have done a fair amount of mocking of other faiths as well. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited October 2018
    RYME said:
    People have been saying exactly this for a thousand years, usually followed by, "you shall see".

Hail, hail...Bopp?
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Why can't we just respect each others opinions? This is a thread called The Concept of God isn't it? Why even take the time to enter this thread, if you only want to criticize what another person believes in? 
    Annafalk said:
    Why can't we just respect each others opinions? This is a thread called The Concept of God isn't it? Why even take the time to enter this thread, if you only want to criticize what another person believes in? 
    Why would an opinion merit respect just because someone holds it?
    Do you respect the opinions of white supremacists? 
    Do you respect the opinions of men who believe women should be beaten into submission and stripped of autonomy?
    Bullshit is bullshit and it needs to be called out as bullshit.

To your last question...
    Because we want the world to move forward.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Do you respect the opinions of men who believe women should be beaten into submission and stripped of autonomy?

To your last question...
    can you please pass the grey poupon?
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...
    can you please pass the grey poupon?
    You need some musturd fer yer biskits?
    edited October 2018
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...
    So you are saying only the way you're thinking is the right way. If everyone was thinking like you there would be a perfect world? There is no room for people who thinks differently than you?
    Off course shouldn't opinions that are hurtful to anyone be respected. 
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I don't like when religion and /or god(s) are used as insurance or a bargaining chip of sorts.  

"Be a good person, live by certain scribes -- some ridiculous ones at that -- and glory awaits" - to paraphrase.

How about while being alive, here, just being a decent person for its own sake?  Why must a reward of sorts be offered for what should be basic humaneness and common sense?

Life is unforgiving.  If faith is what gets one through, so be it; it's not for me to say what's best for others.  "Vice versa" is part of the deal.

That said, keep off my lawn!  - and tend to your own garden.
    No they just want to verbally beat Christians into submission tell us that we believe in a bunch of fairy tales.  I have not criticized or mocked anyone here. I have simply told you what I believe.  I started by answering a question that Hugh Dillon posted a week or so ago.  And the majority of you do not like it. I know that I am wasting my time here, but this thread is not about white supremacy or beating women into submission.  God is very much against white supremacy and beating women into submission that is for sure.
    This Thread is called The Concept of God. How can you have a conversation here that doesn't involve God? God is in the subject of this thread.

Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...
    So you are saying only the way you're thinking is the right way. If everyone was thinking like you there would be a perfect world? There is no room for people who thinks differently than you?
    I didn't say any of those things, and there is plenty of room to disagree within the bounds of reality and rational thought.
    Even subtracting the supernatural, the Judaic legends are ridiculous.  
    God can't be perfect and vain.
    God can't be loving and vengeful.
    God can't be omnipotent and have his plans spoiled by the devil.
    Most importantly, God can't have a plan for everything and abdicate responsibility for the horrific suffering of mankind.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    My very simple take on "god" is this:  Humans invented God/the gods, not the other way around.
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...
    I didn't say any of those things, and there is plenty of room to disagree within the bounds of reality and rational thought.
    Most importantly, God can't have a plan for everything and abdicate responsibility for the horrific suffering of mankind.

How do you know this is true? 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I can understand how people under extreme duress can turn to God.  Last week when I was in the throws of extreme torturous migraine vertigo I was wishing to God there was a god who would save me.  A few days later while in recovery, I gave thanks to the Unknown Mystery of the universe for being released from the worst of the pain and misery. I don't know about God, but I do thank the energy in the universe for coming around on the good side of things when that happens. My final thought was that, to me, "God" is not some big guy with a beard in the sky, but rather is a word one might use to describe the energy that flows through the universe in strange ways we cannot fully understand.  I don't need to know more than that, I just accept it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    I can understand how people under extreme duress can turn to God.  Last week when I was in the throws of extreme torturous migraine vertigo I was wishing to God there was a god who would save me.  A few days later while in recovery, I gave thanks to the Unknown Mystery of the universe for being released from the worst of the pain and misery. I don't know about God, but I do thank the energy in the universe for coming around on the good side of things when that happens. My final thought was that, to me, "God" is not some big guy with a beard in the sky, but rather is a word one might use to describe the energy that flows through the universe in strange ways we cannot fully understand.  I don't need to know more than that, I just accept it.
    I'm sorry that you were in so much pain and discomfort. I'm glad that you're doing better sir.
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...

Basic logic.  Those examples are all contradictory.  Something perfect can't have flaws, vanity is a flaw, etc.
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...

Basic logic.  Those examples are all contradictory.  Something perfect can't have flaws, vanity is a flaw, etc.
    So God has been described in a contradictory way? It isn't any proof he wouldn't exist.
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...

So God has been described in a contradictory way? It isn't any proof he wouldn't exist.
    Yes, God has been described in a completely contradictory way by the only evidence that supports His existence.
    It is proof that He surely doesn't exist as we've been told.  
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...

Yes, God has been described in a completely contradictory way by the only evidence that supports His existence.
    I don't know maybe you can ask him.
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

To your last question...

I don't know maybe you can ask him.
    He's notoriously silent.