'The Home Shows' X 'The Away Shows' Merch

Comments

• I’m new to the poster game, is $200 high for a variant?
    For me it is. 

They'll sell out though.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited September 2018
    So the 2016 Faile variant was over $300 (I’m thinking actually $375, but could be wrong).  I think it’s bullshit to say that’s reasonable because there were 2 artists involved.  It’s still one poster.  Who here would be outraged if you got a bill for 2 times the amount for surgery that one doctor could perform, but since there were 2 doctors in the room, you got bigger bill.  Brad Klausen is in not really overcharging for a variant poster.  This could help weed out people who really do not want the poster, especially ones who buy cheap to flip or use as trade bait.  Or maybe this will go to rich flippers...  :i_dunno:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    PP193448 said:
    So the 2016 Faile variant was over $300 (I’m thinking actually $375, but could be wrong).  I think it’s bullshit to say that’s reasonable because there were 2 artists involved.  It’s still one poster.  Who here would be outraged if you got a bill for 2 times the amount for surgery that one doctor could perform, but since there were 2 doctors in the room, you got bigger bill.  Brad Klausen is in not really overcharging for a variant poster.  This could help weed out people who really do not want the poster, especially ones who buy cheap to flip or use as trade bait.  Or maybe this will go to rich flippers...  :i_dunno:
    FAILE's price, just like this year, had nothing to do with being two artists involved. FAILE prints usually start for well about that amount anyway. They have a  big following outside of the PJ poster collectors circle. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited September 2018
    The days where you at least had a chance at a reasonably priced variant or AP are over. It’s unfortunate, but understandable. A lot less posters will be purchased by me now. They may be killing flippers, but they are also killing the average joe collector. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    edited September 2018
    PP193448 said:
    In FAILE's case, you get what you pay for.  They're definitely a cut above the rest.  I mean, their PJ variant was a 9 color silkscreen I believe.  Like pjsteelerfan said above, they have a big following already.  
    SJD3232 said:
    PP193448 said:
    In FAILE's case, you get what you pay for.  They're definitely a cut above the rest.  I mean, their PJ variant was a 9 color silkscreen I believe.  Like pjsteelerfan said above, they have a big following already.  
    I guess you pay more for their name.  Art is subjective.  To each their own.  I sure as hell think their Seattle poster isn’t worth $35 even for a variant because it’s damn ugly, but that’s just me.  I do have their 2016 Wrigley variant purchased at their artist drop, and do like that.  But I have read that arguement that they charge more because it’s 2 artists involved.  Just trying to prove a point about that.  Hope that everyone who really wants the variants and APs get them without resorting to secondary market markup.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,299
    The days where you at least had a chance at a reasonably priced variant or AP are over. It’s unfortunate, but understandable. A lot less posters will be purchased by me now. They may be killing flippers, but they are also killing the average joe collector. 
    I'm right there with ya.  Love the Klausen variant but more than I can pay at $200.  Of course I do enjoy seeing him get the profits rather than someone flipping it. 
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Anyone know how much the shipping is going to hurt on Mumford's APs coming out of the UK?
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    If someone is making it a point to collect APs and variants, I would not categorize that person as an average joe. In terms of value, that's the deep end of the pool.
  • pjl44 said:
    If someone is making it a point to collect APs and variants, I would not categorize that person as an average joe. In terms of value, that's the deep end of the pool.
    Agreed. If you're making an effort to grab variants you know what you're paying. $75-100 for APs and $150-200 for variants seems pretty average to me. Even for much smaller bands/shows
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Mike D88 said:
    Anyone know how much the shipping is going to hurt on Mumford's APs coming out of the UK?
    About $17 USD
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Brad seems like an all around good dude.  
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • pjl44 said:
    Agreed. If you're making an effort to grab variants you know what you're paying. $75-100 for APs and $150-200 for variants seems pretty average to me. Even for much smaller bands/shows
    The point is that it’s starting to price people out of even trying. Not sure which smaller bands you are buying prints for then if you think variants are anywhere near 200
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • There are people buying variants simply for trade bait and I think they're going to quickly realize that the demand isn't there. They'll be stuck holding $200 variants they wish they can sell for cost.
    Settings > Signature Settings > Hide Signatures Always
  • At the end of the day it doesn't matter because people will buy them. The argument is irrelevant if they still sell out in 90 seconds
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
    There are people buying variants simply for trade bait and I think they're going to quickly realize that the demand isn't there. They'll be stuck holding $200 variants they wish they can sell for cost.
    I think the prices for PJ prints is nutty, look at the FF prices!  I'm happy Brad can make good money as an artist, but dang, these things are getting expensive. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    edited September 2018
    pjl44 said:
    The point is that it’s starting to price people out of even trying. Not sure which smaller bands you are buying prints for then if you think variants are anywhere near 200
    The flippers are the ones being priced out. Plenty of people are and have been paying 200ish for these prints. It's a better system if those transactions are occurring on the artist's website vs Ebay, ebeans, etc.
    The higher prices just mean I need to get to the venue earlier to grab a show print! 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2018
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    The flippers are the ones being priced out. Plenty of people are and have been paying 200ish for these prints. It's a better system if those transactions are occurring on the artist's website vs Ebay, ebeans, etc.
    I am new to posters and collecting, but not new to pricing and being a fan. I don't really see how anyone can argue that regular people are not being priced out when variants go for $200.  I FULLY support the artist going for what he can, and if he sells out, more power to him and to all the others.  So nothing I'm about to say is a criticism of the artists - they should get the money first if flippers are going to cash out on their work later.  I get that, totally support the artists selling for market value.

But in this discussion of what the impact is, there are people who'd love to get into collecting, and who'd love to get high demand posters that they love, but who can't afford variant prices and how are they not priced out?  Surely you don't think everyone who wants to collect can collect and has the disposable cash to pay $200 for a poster?

The other discussions about how these prices impact flippers I guess time will tell.  But this is Pearl Jam - there are fans who couldn't even afford to go to any of the 2018 shows, much less pay a bunch of cash for posters they couldn't get at cost or expensive variants.  It just really concerns me when we have these convos and it seems like many assume everyone who's a fan (not flippers) who wants in on the poster game has the cash to be in on the game, as if it's just a question of choice to buy or not as opposed to basic affordability.  For some money's not an issue; for many money is a huge issue.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • PSUS2H said:
    The higher prices just mean I need to get to the venue earlier to grab a show print! 

It's not a slam dunk. There's problems associated with this though.

Extra stadium beer while you're twiddling your thumbs adds up. You get bored. You get anxious. You're leaving the heart of the city in a pre-concert mood for a sports venue playing canned music. 

Sometimes, for all the crappy things associated with getting there super early... it's better to just bite the bullet later on and pay on the secondary.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    Ideally, the flippers will buy them up, overcharge,
    PSUS2H said:
    There are people buying variants simply for trade bait and I think they're going to quickly realize that the demand isn't there. They'll be stuck holding $200 variants they wish they can sell for cost.
    I think the prices for PJ prints is nutty, look at the FF prices!  I'm happy Brad can make good money as an artist, but dang, these things are getting expensive. 
    Examples? At Fenway, the Sunday print was $35, the variant was $100. I know the uncut version of the 2-day print was $150, but even that didn't seem ridiculous.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2018
    PSUS2H said:

It's not a slam dunk. There's problems associated with this though.

Extra stadium beer while you're twiddling your thumbs adds up. You get bored. You get anxious. You're leaving the heart of the city in a pre-concert mood for a sports venue playing canned music. 

Sometimes, for all the crappy things associated with getting there super early... it's better to just bite the bullet later on and pay on the secondary.
    Again, more power to you if you have that option.  But it really gets to me when people say things like this as if it's an option for everyone.  It's NOT an option for most.  Most Pearl Jam fans I'm gonna guess do NOT have the disposable income to "just pay on the secondary" for what they want.

That's life, and life's not always fair, but it irks me so much when people say stuff like this and seem not to have any awareness that that is NOT an option for all.  Again, cool for you, really not mad at you for being able to do it, it's a far better use of money than some harmful things others do with their cash.  But please don't say it like everyone in the convo has that option, because we don't all have that option.  So for some of us, the original prices and ability to buy at original prices makes or breaks whether we'll get the item we so desire.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Around and around we go 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • This goes the same for those saying that they can just choose to stand in line for hours and hours.  Some folks don't have that time or opportunity due to other choices.  And then there's some folks can't or won't pull off either one, waiting in hours of lines or paying on the secondary market.  

Ultimately though, I believe that either option IS an option for all, if they make it a priority and plan accordingly.  Yes, for some folks it may require less planning and prep to burn hours standing in line, or just pay more to a flipper... but either option is an option for all of us.  

I would question anyone who stands in line for 6 hours so that they can pay $35 for a poster, when they could have gotten one for $100 on ebay, especially those who say that money is an issue.  Every one of us should have a value that we assign to our time.  6 hours of your time isn't worth more than $65?  
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Around and around we go 

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    tubes10s said:
    This goes the same for those saying that they can just choose to stand in line for hours and hours.  Some folks don't have that time or opportunity due to other choices.  And then there's some folks can't or won't pull off either one, waiting in hours of lines or paying on the secondary market.  

Ultimately though, I believe that either option IS an option for all, if they make it a priority and plan accordingly.  Yes, for some folks it may require less planning and prep to burn hours standing in line, or just pay more to a flipper... but either option is an option for all of us.  

I would question anyone who stands in line for 6 hours so that they can pay $35 for a poster, when they could have gotten one for $100 on ebay, especially those who say that money is an issue.  Every one of us should have a value that we assign to our time.  6 hours of your time isn't worth more than $65?  
    This.
    I only have so much free time without kids. If I really want something and I can’t get it easily at a booth it’s either I pass or pay extra. Waiting in line is not an option.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    tubes10s said:
    This goes the same for those saying that they can just choose to stand in line for hours and hours.  Some folks don't have that time or opportunity due to other choices.  And then there's some folks can't or won't pull off either one, waiting in hours of lines or paying on the secondary market.  

I hear your argument, that’s how I break it down.  I don’t wait in the lines anymore, for the posters I want I pay $80 or so the night before or the night of the show on eBay.  I hate paying more than face but my time is more valuable than standing in line, and the things I can accomplish with my family or friends during the time I would be waiting is far more important. But to each his or her own, it is what it is- no one who’s been doing the PJ thing for long is surprised- I remember midnight release parties for no code and Christmas singles being handed out at record shops, all that.  They thrive on the “limited edition” excitement, they’re masters at it.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • tubes10s said:
    I was a bit on the fence deciding which poster to purchase in Boston this year. I am not the biggest fan of baseball, and while I love Klausen's work, I ultimately decided to go with Mumford. I believe I was in line at the second tent around 6:30 am. I am sure glad I did this though after I read on here they were selling out in 40 minutes or so given the demand.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
    Around and around we go 

• tubes10s said:

I hear your argument, that’s how I break it down.  I don’t wait in the lines anymore, for the posters I want I pay $80 or so the night before or the night of the show on eBay.  I hate paying more than face but my time is more valuable than standing in line, and the things I can accomplish with my family or friends during the time I would be waiting is far more important. But to each his or her own, it is what it is- no one who’s been doing the PJ thing for long is surprised- I remember midnight release parties for no code and Christmas singles being handed out at record shops, all that.  They thrive on the “limited edition” excitement, they’re masters at it.

Look at it this way.  The poster is worth $80.  You could either stand in line and buy for $35 at a discount, or buy it for what it is worth at $80 on Ebay.   Difference of buying at wholesale price or retail price.