Wildfire(s) Out West

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    Worst smoke day so far in metro Van. This fucking sucks. 5his is the first day when it's actually making me cough consistently, and I can actually really taste it. Kind of a burny feeling on my tongue. I just read that they calculated breathing here today is equivalent to smoking 7.8 cigarettes. Just today!
    C. told me she saw a map of the BC fires and said her first reaction was, "Where is it not burning up there?"  Bummer!

They'll burn with their house': Behind the decision to defy evacuation orders as flames approach

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/they-ll-burn-with-their-house-behind-the-decision-to-defy-evacuation-orders-as-flames-approach-1.4795041

Your property can be replaced...
    I've mentioned before that J Mascis, when his house burned down years ago and he lost all kinds of stuff plus a lot of his gear and was asked how he dealt with that he said, "It's just stuff.  There's always more stuff."   Someone replied to me, "Yeah, but it's not just stuff.  Some of it is irreplaceable."  That may be true, but a life isn't.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I think this must be the map C. mentioned:

Flames are where the biggest fires are, red ball are new fires, orange balls are smaller fires.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Worst smoke day so far in metro Van. This fucking sucks. 5his is the first day when it's actually making me cough consistently, and I can actually really taste it. Kind of a burny feeling on my tongue. I just read that they calculated breathing here today is equivalent to smoking 7.8 cigarettes. Just today!
    C. told me she saw a map of the BC fires and said her first reaction was, "Where is it not burning up there?"  Bummer!

They'll burn with their house': Behind the decision to defy evacuation orders as flames approach

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/they-ll-burn-with-their-house-behind-the-decision-to-defy-evacuation-orders-as-flames-approach-1.4795041

Your property can be replaced...
    I've mentioned before that J Mascis, when his house burned down years ago and he lost all kinds of stuff plus a lot of his gear and was asked how he dealt with that he said, "It's just stuff.  There's always more stuff."   Someone replied to me, "Yeah, but it's not just stuff.  Some of it is irreplaceable."  That may be true, but a life isn't.
    So true.  You can not replace loss of life.  People need to listen to the experts.  And burning to death is a horrible way to go ... I would imagine.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    I figure it's each person's choice as to whether or not they evacuate. They just have to know that nobody will come and help them if things get out of control/deadly for them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I have mountains to the east, mountains to the west....and I can't see any of them. it is bad.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I have mountains to the east, mountains to the west....and I can't see any of them. it is bad.
    Bummer.

We've had a few semi- decent air days- far from clean air but better than it was for weeks.  I totally feel badly for those getting smoked out right now. 

I've noticed lately I (and others, of course) have a chronic cough, fairly frequently hack up gross mucusy lewgies, all the time blowing nasty snot.  Jeez, I feel like a mutant but I'm not abnormal these days. 

Give Peas A Chance…
    *cough*
    *hack*
    *snort*
    *pattoowee*

ugh- 'scuse me.  It freakin's stinks of smoke around here again.  Snot hacking throat clogging wheezy breathing pee yew!!!

I got home and checked the CalFire website and, sure enough, new fires popping up in various parts of the state.  It was nice to get a little break but now were back to smoking our favorite brands daily- Oak Lights, Pine Extra-longs, Cedar menthols, etc.

You may have to start living in a bubble during wildfire season ...

Give Peas A Chance…
    The stretch along I-5 between Redding and Weed (great name for a town!) has been hit hard with fire a number of times over the last several years.  I hope the sweet little town of Dunsmuir is spared.  I'm beginning to wonder if the whole damn state isn't going to burn to the ground.  :frowning:

brianlux said:
    The stretch along I-5 between Redding and Weed (great name for a town!) has been hit hard with fire a number of times over the last several years.  I hope the sweet little town of Dunsmuir is spared.  I'm beginning to wonder if the whole damn state isn't going to burn to the ground.  :frowning:
    I wish I had words of wisdom to help calm you.  I am at a loss for words.  At this point who knows...all I can say is hang in there,
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    I wish I had words of wisdom to help calm you.  I am at a loss for words.  At this point who knows...all I can say is hang in there,
    Thank you!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Thank you!
    Good thoughts headed your way...

You know, they never talk about the wildlife ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Thank you!

So true.  Naturally, the concern if for people but what comes next?  Always it structures.

Some of these news people need to see Bambi again...

This guy understands...

I'm not concerned about the people.  They can fend for themselves.  I actually think once the evacuation order is given, and you choose to stay ... then no more resources will be spent to save your sorry dumb ass...just let the dumb fuckers burn to death...hope the family photo was worth burning over...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I'm not concerned about the people.  They can fend for themselves.  I actually think once the evacuation order is given, and you choose to stay ... then no more resources will be spent to save your sorry dumb ass...just let the dumb fuckers burn to death...hope the family photo was worth burning over...
    I'm concerned about people because there are places where people can get caught amidst a fire and not get out  even if given an evacuation order.  That could happen where I live if a tree falls across our road  (yes, I know, I need to move, but easier said than done for reasons not worth mentioning here.)  That's a big reason why this time of year is a big concern.  Even fire fighters who know and understand how wildfires sometimes behave get caught by surprise and die.  And what about the elderly who can't move fast enough?

Fires move fast out here in the west.  Last night, the Delta fire grew by over 2,000 acres overnight with zero percent containment.  Interstate 5, the major link between California and Oregon/ Washington is closed and the detour route (we had to do this last year) is very long and slow going.

brianlux said:
    I'm concerned about people because there are places where people can get caught amidst a fire and not get out  even if given an evacuation order.  That could happen where I live if a tree falls across our road  (yes, I know, I need to move, but easier said than done for reasons not worth mentioning here.)  That's a big reason why this time of year is a big concern.  Even fire fighters who know and understand how wildfires sometimes behave get caught by surprise and die.  And what about the elderly who can't move fast enough?

Fires move fast out here in the west.  Last night, the Delta fire grew by over 2,000 acres overnight with zero percent containment.  Interstate 5, the major link between California and Oregon/ Washington is closed and the detour route (we had to do this last year) is very long and slow going.

Yes, concern for the people making a concerted effort to get out for sure.  But some people wait to late, putting firefighters at risk ... they have families and friends they would like to see as well...

I sure know if I'm told get out, I'm getting out ... I ca rebuild, but I can not be rebuilt if I burn in a fire ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Yes, concern for the people making a concerted effort to get out for sure.  But some people wait to late, putting firefighters at risk ... they have families and friends they would like to see as well...

I sure know if I'm told get out, I'm getting out ... I ca rebuild, but I can not be rebuilt if I burn in a fire ... 
    I totally agree- if you can get out, get out.  What is lost is just stuff.  Even the irreplaceable stuff is just stuff, not life.  And of course animals and pets are not just stuff.  As many as possible, take them too!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I totally agree- if you can get out, get out.  What is lost is just stuff.  Even the irreplaceable stuff is just stuff, not life.  And of course animals and pets are not just stuff.  As many as possible, take them too!
    And I really do think many people never take into account that first responders have enough to do without the needed headache of people who thought they ride could it out...fire is weird, one house may be totally destroyed, the Houde beside it fine...

Be safe, take a day indoors if need be.  Thick smoke from fires are the worst.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited September 2018

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Thank you!

So true.  Naturally, the concern if for people but what comes next?  Always it structures.

This guy understands...

My favorite charity organization, the International Fund for Animal Welfare, works to rescue animals from the wildfires. Please donate.

www.ifaw.org
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Thank you!

This guy understands...

My favorite charity organization, the International Fund for Animal Welfare, works to rescue animals from the wildfires. Please donate.

www.ifaw.org
    I'll check it out, thanks!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

And I really do think many people never take into account that first responders have enough to do without the needed headache of people who thought they ride could it out...fire is weird, one house may be totally destroyed, the Houde beside it fine...

Be safe, take a day indoors if need be.  Thick smoke from fires are the worst.  
    Unfortunately, I've been doing nothing but stay indoors but not because of fire but rather because I have a flu bug that's going around.  Summer time and flu?  Crazy!  I hate it!  I've been pretty much laid up since Wednesday evening.  This is total B.S.!  But when is the flu not?  Argh!

State of emergency ended a few days ago in BC... Rain rain rain. Thank goodness.
    PJ_Soul said:
    State of emergency ended a few days ago in BC... Rain rain rain. Thank goodness.
    Good to hear!  Yay!

No rain down this way.  Typically we see none from May through September.  Some years no rain until late October or early November.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

I am on the UC Davis campus just a few minutes ago and witnessed a passenger in this vehicle toss out a still smoking cigarette butt.

If you can't get Californians to care about wildfires...