The Concept of God

Comments

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    rgambs said:
    This has me all fired up today.

Just on Monday I discovered my 6 year old niece being indoctrinated in Catholic culthood knows that my wife and I "don't go to church because they don't believe in Jesus and that's bad"

:angry:
    my brother, his wife, and their 20 year old son all think I'm going to hell with all the homosexuals and trans people.  =)
    I'll save a seat for you at my table lol
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • rgambs said:

Just on Monday I discovered my 6 year old niece being indoctrinated in Catholic culthood knows that my wife and I "don't go to church because they don't believe in Jesus and that's bad"

my brother, his wife, and their 20 year old son all think I'm going to hell with all the homosexuals and trans people.  =)
    I bet they don't. I bet they pray for you. 
    yeah, pretty sure I know what I'm talking about, since that's what they told me to my face. I didn't say they "hope" I'm going to hell, just that's where they believe all godless people go. 

In a way... I bet there is a small part of them hoping for you to reap what you have sown as a sinner on this planet. I could almost guarantee they talk behind your back about your lack of virtues (if their conversations are like the same conversations I've overheard religious devouts have countless times).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I was once told by a friend "I pray for you because you don't know any better."  I was like, do you also pray not to be a condescending cunt?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:

yeah, pretty sure I know what I'm talking about, since that's what they told me to my face. I didn't say they "hope" I'm going to hell, just that's where they believe all godless people go. 

In a way... I bet there is a small part of them hoping for you to reap what you have sown as a sinner on this planet. I could almost guarantee they talk behind your back about your lack of virtues (if their conversations are like the same conversations I've overheard religious devouts have countless times).
    doubtful. they are very nice people. my brother and I get along swimmingly and we have learned to just avoid that topic for the most part. sometimes we have discussions about "facts", and that's about it. 

I'm sure longestroad is partially right in that they probably pray for me. But they certainly would not wish for me to pay for my sins. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambs said:

doubtful. they are very nice people. my brother and I get along swimmingly and we have learned to just avoid that topic for the most part. sometimes we have discussions about "facts", and that's about it. 

I'm sure longestroad is partially right in that they probably pray for me. But they certainly would not wish for me to pay for my sins. 
    You'd know better than me. Good for you guys.

My experience with religious folk he not been fantastic to say the least.

rgambs said:

You'd know better than me. Good for you guys.

My experience with religious folk he not been fantastic to say the least.

don't get me wrong.....there were many tough times when he first "came out". we all hated his wife for a very long time, and he was obnoxious as fuck ("oh my god" someone would say...."mine too" he'd reply). But once they figured out they weren't going to change us, and judging us wasn't the best tactic, things improved dramatically. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:

That makes no sense. If they do pray for him in that context, it's specifically because they do think he's going to hell, and they're praying for him to find salvation.

I've been told by several religious people that I'm going to hell because I'm an Atheist. They truly believe it, and many seem to have little problem with saying it to people's faces, although many others would never say such a thing. I have a born again cousin. I know she and her husband think I and most of the family are heathens, lol, but they are too nice to actually say any bullshit to our faces. They did once feel the need to quietly leave the room together and go demonstrably pray for us all in the front yard ... They either forgot we could see them doing it through the giant picture window overlooking the front yard, or they intentionally meant for us to see them doing this so that we'd get the point. Since they're not morons, my vote is for option two.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    We watched a movie last night called "All Saints".  I generally avoid religious movies unless they are old classic "sword and sandal" movies  like "The Ten Commandments" or "The Egyptian", but we are fans of true story films and this one sounded interesting. It turned out to be too preachy for my tastes but it kept my interest mainly because of the subject matter- its a film about refuges from the Karen State (now called "Kayin") of Myanmar (aka Burma) who end up in Tennessee and seek help from a local church .   It's the story of how a preacher and family and these refuges helped save that church from being closed and demolished. 

At the later parts of the movie and in the extras, a lot said about how this effort was made possible by the locals and the refugees working and coming together as a community to save the church but, right on cue, the main emphasis always goes back to saying that this all happened because God made it happen.  All the credit goes to God and yet when you see what transpired, what you see is a group of people coming together as a community and taking action to do something huge and helpful to their situation.  These people worked  incredibly hard to make this happen but, for some strange reason, they all seem incapable of giving themselves credit.  All the credit goes to the invisible. 

This made me think that maybe the closest thing we have to a verifiable, realistic, experiential God is actually community.  Perhaps instead of a capital "G" god it would make sense to give praise and thanks to a capital "C" Community.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

That makes no sense. If they do pray for him in that context, it's specifically because they do think he's going to hell, and they're praying for him to find salvation.

I've been told by several religious people that I'm going to hell because I'm an Atheist. They truly believe it, and many seem to have little problem with saying it to people's faces, although many others would never say such a thing. I have a born again cousin. I know she and her husband think I and most of the family are heathens, lol, but they are too nice to actually say any bullshit to our faces. They did once feel the need to quietly leave the room together and go demonstrably pray for us all in the front yard ... They either forgot we could see them doing it through the giant picture window overlooking the front yard, or they intentionally meant for us to see them doing this so that we'd get the point. Since they're not morons, my vote is for option two.
    What helps you? What makes you feel better when your looking for the answer in life? To life? For me it's praying. 
  • BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
    God exists in the sense that you have the mental capacity to create God or "God's" or imaginary sea creatures.

There is a voice inside your head that is not your present tangible self.  The voice inside your mind is simply your thoughts.  It can be turned off and therefore is not who you are.  

Like people who suffer with multiple personality disorder or schizophrenia, those voices can often create conflict inside the individual.

However, if those voices were shut off the person would still exist.  You and I would still exist if the voice inside out mind were silent.  

God exist inside our mind as a creation of our imagination in order to provide a simple explanation to something we once could not explain as pre-histiric or ancient man.

God has been inserted into our subconcious by the telling and retelling of God stories.

Therefore, God exists only in the sense that we have created him. 
    I'm like a tab
  • God exists in the sense that you have the mental capacity to create God or "God's" or imaginary sea creatures.

There is a voice inside your head that is not your present tangible self.  The voice inside your mind is simply your thoughts.  It can be turned off and therefore is not who you are.  

Like people who suffer with multiple personality disorder or schizophrenia, those voices can often create conflict inside the individual.

However, if those voices were shut off the person would still exist.  You and I would still exist if the voice inside out mind were silent.  

God exist inside our mind as a creation of our imagination in order to provide a simple explanation to something we once could not explain as pre-histiric or ancient man.

God has been inserted into our subconcious by the telling and retelling of God stories.

I've prayed to God and my prayers have been answered. The impossible has been answered. I know God exists. God created us. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rgambs said:

No offense, but they are fools
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rgambs said:

Do me a favor, dont ever pray for me. Call Santa Claus instead and tell him I would like a new turntable
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    God exists in the sense that you have the mental capacity to create God or "God's" or imaginary sea creatures.

I've prayed to God and my prayers have been answered. The impossible has been answered. I know God exists. God created us. 
    You are confused about the meaning of "know" and "believe".
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327

would it not be better to say that the idea of god exists?  just like the unicorns, we have an idea of unicorns that exists but unicorns themselves don't

• God exists in the sense that you have the mental capacity to create God or "God's" or imaginary sea creatures.

All of them?

Or just random ones? Do you think those random prayers might have been answered through your own (or someone else's efforts)? Do you think maybe you are crediting God when credit lies elsewhere?

and yet none of the prayers of all of the people living in extreme poverty and disease and civil war and genocide have been answered. pretty convenient for you, I'd say. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• fifefife Posts: 3,327

and yet none of the prayers of all of the people living in extreme poverty and disease and civil war and genocide have been answered. pretty convenient for you, I'd say. 
    Maybe they are not praying right ;)

Geez Hugh...

I was going to get him to this... but nice and easy like. I wasn't just going to bludgeon him with it without a mild transition.

This is going to be overload.
    fife said:

Maybe they are not praying right ;)
    oh, right, I forgot, wrong god! LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I used to love the battle scenes in movies where two sides are both praying to God prior to battle.

What a conundrum for God.
    I used to love the battle scenes in movies where two sides are both praying to God prior to battle.

he just flips his coin where jesus is heads and mary is tails. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I used to love the battle scenes in movies where two sides are both praying to God prior to battle.

"F**k guys... we won the coin toss. We're gonna kick a little assss!"
  • fife said:

would it not be better to say that the idea of god exists?  just like the unicorns, we have an idea of unicorns that exists but unicorns themselves don't

Unicorns do not exist. I know God exists. 
    Believe. 

"F**k guys... we won the coin toss. We're gonna kick a little assss!"
    There's a reason and a lesson. Believe. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited August 2018
    fife said:

Unicorns do not exist. I know God exists. 
    Believe. 
    The point is that you can't know. You can hope. You can believe. You can have faith. But you can't know, unless you've got some sort of tangible proof, in which case it obviates the need for faith.

For me, god and unicorns are on the same level. I've never seen either one, so I don't believe either exists. But I'm always open to changing my position on either with tangible proof.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_RjndG0IX8
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I used to love the battle scenes in movies where two sides are both praying to God prior to battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAgAvnvXF9U

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

All of them?

Or just random ones? Do you think those random prayers might have been answered through your own (or someone else's efforts)? Do you think maybe you are crediting God when credit lies elsewhere?
     If it's God's will it will be answered. God has answered my prayers but if I don't take the answer for invalid and/or stupid misconseptions or being afraid to accept the answer then it's my fault.  

All of them?

If it's God's will it will be answered. God has answered my prayers but if I don't take the answer for invalid and/or stupid misconseptions or being afraid to accept the answer then it's my fault.  
    so that's not really prayers being answered in how I've always understood it. from what you are saying here, he didn't choose to reward you with your request. it was a happy accident he wanted to give what you wanted. kind of like a lottery ticket. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD