Good News

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Red Hot Chili Peppers support Sea Shepard Conservation Society.
    Thank you, guys!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Although this family lost their house to fire, it could have been so much worse, if not for the actions of these two young men, who rescued their toddler brother, got their grandmother out, tried to extinguish the fire and even remembered to alert the tenants downstairs. 

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/victoria-teens-get-young-brother-grandmother-out-of-burning-house-1.23206312
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I've been checking in on David Byrne's very cool web site, "Reasons to Be Cheerful" lately and really though this was cool:

How Mexico City Became a Leader in Parking Reform

“The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is the right to destroy the city.” -Lewis Mumford (1957)

In February 2017, the Mayor of Mexico City, Miguel Ángel Mancera, made a major announcement—the city would prioritize parking reform. This announcement was the first of several from the city, culminating in the implementation of a major, progressive policy change  enacted on July 11th, 2017.

Good article- more at link.

https://www.reasonstobecheerful.world/article/2018/4/4/less-parking-more-city-mexico-city

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat said:
    LOL, too funny!  :smiley:

Good news to me. Media should spread this story about George Takei even more than the original allegations. Sulu didn't do it. :)
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/george-takei-accuser-walks-back-story-of-drugging-and-sexual-assault_us_5b0816a9e4b0802d69caa3f8

Kat said:
    Good news to me. Media should spread this story about George Takei even more than the original allegations. Sulu didn't do it. :)
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/george-takei-accuser-walks-back-story-of-drugging-and-sexual-assault_us_5b0816a9e4b0802d69caa3f8

I follow G.T. of Facebook and am a big fan and can't imagine him doing the things he was accused of.  I'm glad the accuser is backing off from some of the things he said! 

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Not only is this feat good news it's really outstanding news and so good for him.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Mamoudou Gassama: Mali 'Spiderman' to be made French citizen - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44275776

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    g under p said:
    Not only is this feat good news it's really outstanding news and so good for him.

Mamoudou Gassama: Mali 'Spiderman' to be made French citizen - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44275776

Peace
    Yeah, this story is great! I think Macron's response is also great, and I am impressed by how quickly and with what ease he actually responded and met with the guy.. Less than 48 hours. And I'm working hard to dismiss the obvious questions about what those two on the next balcony were doing, lol. Well, at least the guy helped the toddler hang on to the railing? :whistle:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Yeah, this story is great! I think Macron's response is also great, and I am impressed by how quickly and with what ease he actually responded and met with the guy.. Less than 48 hours. And I'm working hard to dismiss the obvious questions about what those two on the next balcony were doing, lol. Well, at least the guy helped the toddler hang on to the railing? :whistle:
    Awesome story. Dude scaled those balconies like a champ.  Trying to kee it positive so won’t mention anything about the father.

hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    There was no other appropriate thread to post this but I thought others might enjoy it, too. A really interesting article about a weird race called the Dipsea. Look for the part about who has run it in the past ;)

Dipsea: A Trail Race Where ‘You’re Either the Hunter or the Hunted’   https://nyti.ms/2HLIeKZ
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited June 2018
    There was no other appropriate thread to post this but I thought others might enjoy it, too. A really interesting article about a weird race called the Dipsea. Look for the part about who has run it in the past ;)

Dipsea: A Trail Race Where ‘You’re Either the Hunter or the Hunted’   https://nyti.ms/2HLIeKZ
    Awesome - I want to see a documentary on this race. Speaking of which, there is an amazing documentary about that Barkley Marathon, which also has some crazy rules and is no normal race - I highly recommend the film! It's called The Barkley Marathons: The Race that Eats Its Young (2014). Nobody even managed to finish it this year, which isn't uncommon!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Ahh, Muir Woods.  We used to go there when I was a kid.  Oftentimes the place would be all but deserted and so still and quiet except for an occasional song bird and the breeze blowing through the tops of the redwoods.  Now days you need a reservation to even get into the place.   Kind of sad, really.

Lions eat 'rhino poachers' on South African game reserve

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44728507

PJ_Soul said:

Lions eat 'rhino poachers' on South African game reserve

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44728507

This is justice:
    "At least two suspected rhino poachers have been mauled to death and eaten by lions on a South African game reserve, officials say."

This is disgusting:
    "There has been a rise in poaching in Africa in recent years, to feed growing demand for rhino horn in parts of Asia.

In China, Vietnam and elsewhere, rhino horn is erroneously believed to have aphrodisiac qualities."

Kat said:
    Oh yeah!  Fantastic!  :clap:

• letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    edited July 2018
    Kat said:
    Amazing.

This is fantastic.  Thanks for posting Kat.

Its nice to see people doing good...
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Kat said:
    Amazing.

This is fantastic.  Thanks for posting Kat.

Its nice to see people doing good...
    That was so great to watch!! Thank you. 
    Everyone can be heroic. Have a beautiful week, everyone.

Kat said:

Awesome!

Here's fine companion article to the one you posted above, Kat, about the guy saving the whale:

In an operation that lasted for five days, the crew of the Sea Shepherd ship, Sam Simon, has successfully completed the retrieval of an illegal gillnet, abandoned by the poaching vessel, Thunder. The outlawed fishing gear was located at 62? 16’ South 081? 14 East, inside the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR) area of management, in the Southern Ocean.

The thirty-strong crew, made up of volunteers from fifteen nations, worked 24 hours a day to retrieve the illegal gillnet, which measured a total of 25 kilometres in length.

• RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Kat said:

So great. If only we could find a way to harness and channel that instinctual human goodness into a large daily effort towards a targeted goal. Imagine the good that could be done. 
    Kat said:

So great. If only we could find a way to harness and channel that instinctual human goodness into a large daily effort towards a targeted goal. Imagine the good that could be done. 
    :plus_one:

• Kat said:

Fuck. This made me cry in my office. Haha. Had run to the bathroom before people saw me. haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Kat said:

Fucking awesome ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Poor baby...and determined humans....have to love that.

Kat said:
    Poor baby...and determined humans....have to love that.

Sweet!

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    "This one is for whomever wants it"

Nobody knows what the fuck is going on. We’re a bunch of hairless apes on a spinning rock in space, and we only know the stories that we’ve been told by the people who got here before us. We come out as clueless little babies, then when we get bigger we learn some fancy words and how to open a bag of chips, but underneath all the data we add on top of our fresh baby minds there’s still the same cluelessness we started out with. The process of sorting out the true and useful data from the false and unhelpful is confusing, difficult, and prone to error. So people tend to just listen to the most confident-sounding voice in the room; the one who steps forward and says “I know what’s going on, follow me.”

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/how-to-own-life-like-a-fucking-wizard-20c4b909ae0

What a wonderful lady. :)

'You bring joy and happiness to our organization every single day'

Bottle collector honoured for keeping the environment clean — and giving money to cancer charity

JC29856 said:
    "This one is for whomever wants it"

Nobody knows what the fuck is going on. We’re a bunch of hairless apes on a spinning rock in space, and we only know the stories that we’ve been told by the people who got here before us. We come out as clueless little babies, then when we get bigger we learn some fancy words and how to open a bag of chips, but underneath all the data we add on top of our fresh baby minds there’s still the same cluelessness we started out with. The process of sorting out the true and useful data from the false and unhelpful is confusing, difficult, and prone to error. So people tend to just listen to the most confident-sounding voice in the room; the one who steps forward and says “I know what’s going on, follow me.”

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/how-to-own-life-like-a-fucking-wizard-20c4b909ae0

I don't really understand why this was posted on "Good News", but here it is and here I will respond.

What do you think of George Carlin?  Pretty much all the accusations made of Maher in the article could be made of Carlin.  I don't think the problem with Maher or Carlin or any "pundit" is that their voices are too confident or that they sound too convincing or that they are opinionated- I am all of those things.  Most of us here are.  No, the problem is that far too many people have lost (or never gained) the ability to think critically for themselves or possess some healthy skepticism.  I don't agree with every thing Maher (or even Carlin, for that matter) but I like that people like him/them engage my thinking and provide a perspective.  Capitol A perspective not THE ONLY perspective.  Rather than rant about how clever Maher is (and he surely is!) let's talk about how too many people are not discerning in their listening or critically thinking in their beliefs.

PJ_Soul said:
    What a wonderful lady. :)

'You bring joy and happiness to our organization every single day'

Bottle collector honoured for keeping the environment clean — and giving money to cancer charity

Now that is what I call "good news"!  :smile: