What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    tbergs said:
    TFlyer said:
    I also have been avoiding it -- one of my buddies told me it was awful.  (We both loved the book)
    I am glad to read here that people are liking it...I hope I will as well, the book was fun.
    I understand that some people won't like it no matter what anyone says and that is unavoidable. The book will always be better because when you read any story your mind creates what you are reading for you so you build up what you personally think is the best possible version of the story and there is no way that anyone will ever be able to recreate that. But the way I look at book to film adaptations is this, the book will always exist, and you can always go back to it and revisit what you loved in the first place. So you go into the movie with an open mind and understand that it was someone else's mind that created the world and not yours so there is no way for it to be as good as the one you thought of when reading it and you just enjoy it for what it is. 

All that being said (if it made enough sense) I can discuss it more in depth with the differences from book to film I just don't want to spoil it for anyone. Some of the major differences were in the challenges (how Parzival got the extra life coin, the characters of Daito and Sho...and what happens in the big fight, etc). 
    This makes complete sense to me. I've learned the movie is rarely even close to the book. I was initially disappointed in the Lord of the Rings trilogy when it came out because I had just re-read the entire series so it was fresh in my mind, but overtime I've come to appreciate how great both are in their respective mediums.
    Glad it made sense...see I grew up reading LOTR and The Hobbit, those stories mean a lot to me. When the movies came out it was a huge deal to me and I didn't even have any sort of negative thought in my head towards them because I knew they would be special in their own way and like I said earlier I would still have my own built up fantasy world in my head with the books. It was the same thing with the Harry Potter films, yes they all changed things/left things out but you have to be able to enjoy things and not take them seriously. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    I’ve been avoiding Ready Player One. Eventually, it will be on Netflix or something, and I’ll see it then. 

I don’t like most of Spielberg’s work. JawsRaiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., and Munich are probably the only films that I would say are essential to the canon. I do enjoy Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Color Purple and Empire of the Sun as well, but I wouldn’t say they’re masterpieces. His nineties and early aughts films are sentimental pap. 
    Schindler's List didn't do it for you?? Saving Private Ryan? Catch Me If You Can?
    I liked Shaving Ryan's Privates but I thought Catch Me If You Can is a perfect example of a movie brutalization of a good book.
    Schindler's Fist was a bit too much for me.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    I’ve been avoiding Ready Player One. Eventually, it will be on Netflix or something, and I’ll see it then. 

I don’t like most of Spielberg’s work. JawsRaiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., and Munich are probably the only films that I would say are essential to the canon. I do enjoy Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Color Purple and Empire of the Sun as well, but I wouldn’t say they’re masterpieces. His nineties and early aughts films are sentimental pap. 
    Schindler's List didn't do it for you?? Saving Private Ryan? Catch Me If You Can?
    I liked Shaving Ryan's Privates but I thought Catch Me If You Can is a perfect example of a movie brutalization of a good book.
    Schindler's Fist was a bit too much for me.

Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    The Snowman
    Not bad.
    Val Kilmer on the other hand, not looking or sounding so good.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    The Snowman
    Not bad.
    Yeah ho looked pretty rough in that movie.  Didn't even recognize it was him at first.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:
    Poncier said:
    The Snowman
    Not bad.
    Yeah ho looked pretty rough in that movie.  Didn't even recognize it was him at first.
    It almost seemed like his lines were dubbed in too. Something very wrong about his mouth when he spoke, on top of how rough he looked overall.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    dankind said:
    No Coder said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

Yeah, I can understand that not all of his films hit the spot, but those 3 you mention are all excellent movies IMO. Obviously not to all though
    I hate all three of those films with a passion. The only good thing about Schindler's List is Ralph Fiennes' performance. That was a revelation. The red girl, the "this car!" "this pin!" blahblahblah bullshit speech, the ash falling like snow are all marks of a filmmaker who doesn't respect his audience's intelligence. The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan (except for the incredibly stupid helmet gag for the groundlings) are good; the rest have the same issues as Schindler's List for me. "Earn this!" Fuck you, SS! No one with an IQ over 80 needs that explained to them. Catch Me If You Can was Mamet lite. Drivel.
    Holy movie snob. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

this one really does have one of the best theme tunes...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204
    TFlyer said:

this one really does have one of the best theme tunes...
    Yep and Dr. Quinn looks good in this one.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    Big Trouble Little China
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    BLACK35 said:
    Big Trouble Little China

edited July 2018

My favourite Roger Moore Bond film. Great action, fantastic scenery, and of course the always amazing Christopher Lee!

Also the scene in the beginning where he swallows the bellydancers golden bullet belly ring kills me every time! :rofl:
    Post edited by TFlyer on
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,829
    Mission: Impossible- Fallout

It was pretty awesome I must say. Didn't feel like 2 1/2 hours I must say, lot of action!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Mission: Impossible- Fallout

It was pretty awesome I must say. Didn't feel like 2 1/2 hours I must say, lot of action!
    Good to hear, love this series and really looking forward to seeing it. I'll probably go tomorrow since I've got the Arctic Monkeys concert tonight. 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (2016)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Was supposed to go see Teen Titans Go! to the Movies tonight, but my mother-in-law has thrown a wrench into that plan. :angry:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Ant Man and The Wasp
    Not bad
    I didn't think the comedic stuff all worked but I enjoyed the movie.  Did not stay through the credits for the extra scene, I'm done with that . Movie is over, I get up and leave.

''Freckles" is still pretty damn hot, to me.  Haven't seen her in anything for a while.
    dankind said:
    Was supposed to go see Teen Titans Go! to the Movies tonight, but my mother-in-law has thrown a wrench into that plan. :angry:

She needs you to loofah her stretch marks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVk_4x_eIt0

Poncier said:
    dankind said:

She needs you to loofah her stretch marks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVk_4x_eIt0

No. She does that for me. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,473
    Dante's peak
    Crazy that it was on the starz "classic" channel.
    The movie is 21 years old!
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,103
    Mission Impossible Fallout

very good, great action and solid plot

also saw Super Troopers 2 on Friday... kinda fell asleep. Not very good

Big fan of this series...I have great memories of watching the first two on VHS and seeing all the rest in the cinema. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Lots of laughs and great set pieces, and of course it was stuffed full of action. And masks, lots of masks! 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    Pap said:
    Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
    I really like that movie a lot.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Watched Girls Trip this weekend after hearing a friend talk it up for a while.
    The movie is NOT the type of movie I would normally watch -- it is the type of movie my wife would normally watch.
    That being stated, there were 3-4 spots that were outrageously funny, to me, and that is worth more than 20 sort of funny spots in many other movies.
    My wife would like it for everything but those 3-4 scenes -- but I liked it because of the 3-4 scenes.  (2 in particular that almost had me on the floor, they were so ridiculous.) 

The movie is NOT the type of movie I would normally watch -- it is the type of movie my wife would normally watch.
    That being stated, there were 3-4 spots that were outrageously funny, to me, and that is worth more than 20 sort of funny spots in many other movies.
    My wife would like it for everything but those 3-4 scenes -- but I liked it because of the 3-4 scenes.  (2 in particular that almost had me on the floor, they were so ridiculous.) 

I found two scenes funny and other than that I did not think it was a good movie at all.  The zipline and grapefruit scenes were the only two I laughed at.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    Chappaquiddick
    edited July 2018
    bbiggs said:
    Chappaquiddick
    What the fuck did you just call me!?!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    KC138045 said:

I found two scenes funny and other than that I did not think it was a good movie at all.  The zipline and grapefruit scenes were the only two I laughed at.
    Those were the two that I was dying at.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:
    Chappaquiddick
    What the fuck did you just call me!?!
    Haha! No kidding. One of the worst film names ever. Movie was average but I did find the story interesting. Political corruption at it’s finest.