"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    PJ_Soul said:
    TFlyer said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    A Quiet Place for the second time. Such a damn good movie
    Just saw it, and I agree, really great movie. 
    I know they are planning to make a sequel, but kind if wish they just allowed the movie to stand on its own. 
    Me too. Now that blank is blankety blank, I don't see any need for a sequel, lol.
    Although on second though, if they make it a prequel, I'd be really into that!
    I believe their intent is to tell a different story within the AQP universe. Remember the water tower scene at night, with the father on top looking out over the land and seeing the  lit fires from other families/people. Theyll prob just tell a different story and maybe connect that with the originals family. Who really knows though.
    I would like to think that will be the case...however the fact that they didn't actually show the fathers fate makes me worry that he will somehow return. Many recent horror films suffer from poor plot devices such as this, I hope this won't be the case but you never know... :i_dunno:
    Interesting... It never occurred to me that his fate could be anything other than the obvious. If they did do what you fear, yes, that would be really stupid and would seriously take away from the film. I think his assumed fate is a pretty major factor for the entire feel of the film on an emotional level.
    I would like to assume that I am wrong and they wouldn't ruin what I already consider to be a modern classic in the horror genre. I watch a lot of horror movies and I feel that many of them suffer from the same plot devices and that is just one of many. I just worry when I characters fate isn't seen in a film and then they announce a sequel because they have brought back so many characters so many times especially in the horror genre. 

I do agree though that a prequel to the film would be extremely interesting, as would a "spin off" telling any of the other families stories and possibly having a crossover with any of the original characters.  
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Mountain (2017)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Apocalypse Now
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Won't You Be My Neighbor

Very good and emotional
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited July 2018

I remembered seeing this when it first came out but didn't remember much about it...it's not the greatest movie but it has some pretty funny moments in it. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Bullitt (1968)

Still and always  awesome
    However, this time I noticed just how stunningly beautiful Jacqueline  Bissell was.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    "You work your side of the street...and I'll work mine."
    Great movie.
    And yes - she was beautiful.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Bullitt (1968)

Still and always  awesome
    However, this time I noticed just how stunningly beautiful Jacqueline  Bissell was.
    My favorite movie car.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Double feature at the drive-in:

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Fell asleep during the second one. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Stripes
    edited July 2018

I got the Bond 24 box set on prime day so I'm revisiting them all in order. I've owned various titles over the years but never all of them together in one collection...for 2.40 a title I couldn't resist. 

Caught this one in the cinema today, I enjoyed it...not as good as the first but still a fun flick. 
    Post edited by TFlyer on
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Three Identical Strangers (2018)
    Interesting  documentary very well done
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Blockers - have me a couple of good solid laughs.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory

I honestly forgot how ridiculous the ending of this movie is...from the giant underwater spear fight to Bond and the girl flying through the air at the end :rofl:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Three Identical Strangers (2018)
    Interesting  documentary very well done
    just saw the preview for that a few days ago, def. looks interesting.   Also hearing good things about Sorry to Bother. I'll Probably check that one soon.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    Mom and Dad

I'm not really sure if this was intended as a comedy or what, but I found it weirdly amusing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Meru (2015)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

Saw it in the cinema and really enjoyed it, watched it again tonight and still enjoyed it. I did enjoy the book more but the movie is still extremely fun.
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    TFlyer said:

Saw it in the cinema and really enjoyed it, watched it again tonight and still enjoyed it. I did enjoy the book more but the movie is still extremely fun.
    I have re-watched this after seeing it the cinema and loved it even more. It's my fav movie of the year. I've read some terrible reviews, but they have mainly been from those who've read the book. I haven't  read the book, so it's a stand alone movie for me and as someone who grew up in the 80's, it captures all the best from 80's adventure movies.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    edited July 2018
    No Coder said:
    TFlyer said:

I have re-watched this after seeing it the cinema and loved it even more. It's my fav movie of the year. I've read some terrible reviews, but they have mainly been from those who've read the book. I haven't  read the book, so it's a stand alone movie for me and as someone who grew up in the 80's, it captures all the best from 80's adventure movies.
    I have read the book, and I went into the movie knowing that it wouldn't be and exact interpretation of the source and I enjoyed it immensely. I went back and re-read the book after seeing the movie in the cinema as well. I got the blu ray yesterday and re-watched it at home and I feel no different about loving the two for what they are. The book is amazing and the movie is extremely fun and entertaining. There are some pretty big changes that were made in the movie especially regarding one of the main High-5 members. I suggest you read the book, I don't think it will ruin your opinion of the movie, I just think the people who didn't enjoy it were elitist. The author Ernest Cline was involved with the book to film interpretation so if he didn't like it he wouldn't have signed off on it. 

Also the book would've translated into a less family friendly feature, there are more sexual references/innuendos and f-bombs in the book. So they definitely took that into account. 
    Post edited by TFlyer on
    I’ve been avoiding Ready Player One. Eventually, it will be on Netflix or something, and I’ll see it then. 

I don’t like most of Spielberg’s work. JawsRaiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., and Munich are probably the only films that I would say are essential to the canon. I do enjoy Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Color Purple and Empire of the Sun as well, but I wouldn’t say they’re masterpieces. His nineties and early aughts films are sentimental pap. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I also have been avoiding it -- one of my buddies told me it was awful.  (We both loved the book)
    I am glad to read here that people are liking it...I hope I will as well, the book was fun.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Touching the Void (2003)
    I also have been avoiding it -- one of my buddies told me it was awful.  (We both loved the book)
    I am glad to read here that people are liking it...I hope I will as well, the book was fun.
    I understand that some people won't like it no matter what anyone says and that is unavoidable. The book will always be better because when you read any story your mind creates what you are reading for you so you build up what you personally think is the best possible version of the story and there is no way that anyone will ever be able to recreate that. But the way I look at book to film adaptations is this, the book will always exist, and you can always go back to it and revisit what you loved in the first place. So you go into the movie with an open mind and understand that it was someone else's mind that created the world and not yours so there is no way for it to be as good as the one you thought of when reading it and you just enjoy it for what it is. 

All that being said (if it made enough sense) I can discuss it more in depth with the differences from book to film I just don't want to spoil it for anyone. Some of the major differences were in the challenges (how Parzival got the extra life coin, the characters of Daito and Sho...and what happens in the big fight, etc). 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    TFlyer said:
    I understand that some people won't like it no matter what anyone says and that is unavoidable. The book will always be better because when you read any story your mind creates what you are reading for you so you build up what you personally think is the best possible version of the story and there is no way that anyone will ever be able to recreate that. But the way I look at book to film adaptations is this, the book will always exist, and you can always go back to it and revisit what you loved in the first place. So you go into the movie with an open mind and understand that it was someone else's mind that created the world and not yours so there is no way for it to be as good as the one you thought of when reading it and you just enjoy it for what it is. 

All that being said (if it made enough sense) I can discuss it more in depth with the differences from book to film I just don't want to spoil it for anyone. Some of the major differences were in the challenges (how Parzival got the extra life coin, the characters of Daito and Sho...and what happens in the big fight, etc). 
    This makes complete sense to me. I've learned the movie is rarely even close to the book. I was initially disappointed in the Lord of the Rings trilogy when it came out because I had just re-read the entire series so it was fresh in my mind, but overtime I've come to appreciate how great both are in their respective mediums.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    dankind said:
    I’ve been avoiding Ready Player One. Eventually, it will be on Netflix or something, and I’ll see it then. 

I don’t like most of Spielberg’s work. JawsRaiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., and Munich are probably the only films that I would say are essential to the canon. I do enjoy Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Color Purple and Empire of the Sun as well, but I wouldn’t say they’re masterpieces. His nineties and early aughts films are sentimental pap. 
    Schindler's List didn't do it for you?? Saving Private Ryan? Catch Me If You Can?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

Schindler's List didn't do it for you?? Saving Private Ryan? Catch Me If You Can?
    Yeah, I can understand that not all of his films hit the spot, but those 3 you mention are all excellent movies IMO. Obviously not to all though
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    edited July 2018
    No Coder said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

Yeah, I can understand that not all of his films hit the spot, but those 3 you mention are all excellent movies IMO. Obviously not to all though
    I hate all three of those films with a passion. The only good thing about Schindler's List is Ralph Fiennes' performance. That was a revelation. The red girl, the "this car!" "this pin!" blahblahblah bullshit speech, the ash falling like snow are all marks of a filmmaker who doesn't respect his audience's intelligence. The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan (except for the incredibly stupid helmet gag for the groundlings) are good; the rest have the same issues as Schindler's List for me. "Earn this!" Fuck you, SS! No one with an IQ over 80 needs that explained to them. Catch Me If You Can was Mamet lite. Drivel.
    I SAW PEARL JAM