Soccer team trapped in cave in Thailand, rescue operation soon

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited July 2018 in A Moving Train
Not a thread about this?

This is the worst/scariest thing I've ever read. have such anxiety for the boys and their coach.

One of the SEAL swimmers has died working on helping them out.

They will try to bring them out four by four, and start today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uujNRYY4X8
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    It's awful. Very anxiety provoking 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Seems to have gotten 4 kids up.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Rescue operations halted to replenish oxygen and supplies...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Been following this story for about a week. One thing I haven’t heard is anything about the coach.
    was this negligence on his part to take the kids into the cave? If so I hope he spends a long time in prison.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    WTF?  The coach took these kids that far into a cave? 

I did something stupid like that as a young adult.  A friend of mine and I went deep into a cave that was little know and hard to find.  After crawling way back into this thing we came to a drop off that was so deep you couldn't hear a stone hit bottom when tossed into it.  And then both our flashlight batteries started to die.  We were lucky to find out way out.  We could easily have won Darwin Awards.

So when I hear some coach took some boys into a cave... unbelievable. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229 said:
    Been following this story for about a week. One thing I haven’t heard is anything about the coach.
    was this negligence on his part to take the kids into the cave? If so I hope he spends a long time in prison.

Gee this sounds harsh.

From what I understand, the players and coach knew of the cave and didn't think much of the potential risks much like we don't think of bears when we hike or bike in remote areas. From all accounts, this is a case of a well-liked mentor doing extra for kids.

I think the 'blame game' is a little inappropriate at this point. And this attitude is the type of attitude that has mentors desisting with efforts that have the potential to enrich kids' lives.

The parents don't blame him: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/07/parents-boys-trapped-thai-cave-tell-coach-dont-blame-yourself-rescuers-race-against-time
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Four out.   Now a ten hr break to refill oxygen tanks they said. 

Those divers from all over the world are heroes. 
  • Four out.   Now a ten hr break to refill oxygen tanks they said. 

Those divers from all over the world are heroes. 

No kidding.

I think about the one SEAL diver that ran out of oxygen and what his terror must have been like.
    mace1229 said:

Gee this sounds harsh.

From what I understand, the players and coach knew of the cave and didn't think much of the potential risks much like we don't think of bears when we hike or bike in remote areas. From all accounts, this is a case of a well-liked mentor doing extra for kids.

I think the 'blame game' is a little inappropriate at this point. And this attitude is the type of attitude that has mentors desisting with efforts that have the potential to enrich kids' lives.

The parents don't blame him: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/07/parents-boys-trapped-thai-cave-tell-coach-dont-blame-yourself-rescuers-race-against-time
    Well said...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mace1229 said:

Gee this sounds harsh.

Okay maybe not a long time in prison.
    But to me that bolder part sounds like neglect or something similar.
    I do t care of it makes others hesitate on going the extra mile, you need to be responsible when taking care of this many kids as be fully aware of the risks.
    Yeah, I may go hiking and it think about bears, but you better beleieve before I take a bunch of kids with me I’m going to research all the risks and inform the parents.
    Thats like hiking through Death Valley and saying you didn’t know you need extra water for the kids.

brianlux said:
    WTF?  The coach took these kids that far into a cave? 

I did something stupid like that as a young adult.  A friend of mine and I went deep into a cave that was little know and hard to find.  After crawling way back into this thing we came to a drop off that was so deep you couldn't hear a stone hit bottom when tossed into it.  And then both our flashlight batteries started to die.  We were lucky to find out way out.  We could easily have won Darwin Awards.

So when I hear some coach took some boys into a cave... unbelievable. 
    I have similar stories, and I bet a lot of guys do.
    The difference is we didn’t take 16 boys with us.
    I don’t know how the parents can’t be furious at the coach. I’d be waiting for him at the exit.
  • Do we know the parents didn't know what their kids were up to that day?

It just seems that as elaborate as this particular cave is from our perspective, it is part of the natural habitat they are accustomed to. They may have had multiple experiences in it previous to this one going badly for them.

As a kid, any cave we came across while exploring were gold. As an adult, I hate caves.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    From what I have read the coach would take the team to this location many times as it is a very popular tourist attraction. They were in the cave and all of a sudden a flash flood occurred which resulted in them being pushed way back in the cave. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited July 2018
    I have jumped to some conclusions about the coach, only  because I haven’t seen any information other than the rescue attempts.
    But if it turns out this flash floods with every big rain, and the parents were not aware of this, then it is unexcusable in my opinion, especially so close to monsoon season.
    But if it’s true they do this a lot and the parents were aware, and this flash flood is a freak thing that no one could have known was a risk then I wouldn’t blame him.
    Just seems like if the water level doesn’t go down for months as expected, and will only rise with rain then there’s no way they wouldn’t realize this floods.
    I only heard it mentioned once they were found because their bikes and other equipment were found outside the cave. That lead me to believe no one knew they were going there, which made me beleieve this was not a common thing. But that could be wrong.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Mace...

I have read the coach has done a fantastic job of keeping the kids' spirits up. Apparently he has even taught them to meditate.

I would think there has to be some fantastic relationships for this to occur.

And hey... there might be a case of negligence. Who knows? I just come from the camp that tends to look at intent and in this case... it seems like a mentor was going beyond his typical duties to be with kids.

It might have been a case of the kids telling the coach they were going into the cave and he made the decision to accompany them to ensure they played safely in there?
    edited July 2018
    mace1229 said:
    What bullshit is this?

You think he lured them in there and waited for rain to fill up the cave so they had to travel further into the cave and not get out?

All of them are alive in there, kids from 11 to 16. I would think the young coach would have something to do with that. Giving them his rations etc.

And the parents etc has said that they don't blame him.

So how about not even bringing up people going to prison and shit. Unnecessary. zzz. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited July 2018
    mace1229 said:
    What bullshit is this?

You think he lured them in there and waited for rain to fill up the cave so they had to travel further into the cave and not get out?

All of them are alive in there, kids from 11 to 16. I would think the young coach would have something to do with that. Giving them his rations etc.

And the parents etc has said that they don't blame him.

So how about not even bringing up people going to prison and shit. Unnecessary. zzz. 
    I think we can take that down a notch.
    All I said was I’ve heard almost nothing and asked if anyone has information. And  I asked IF it is a case of negligence I hope there’s consequences. I didn’t say it was or wasn’t, because I don’t know.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Four more boys are out
    Elon Musk shares video of 'kid-size' submarine for Thai cave rescue

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/08/us/elon-musk-thai-cave-rescue/index.html

I'm sure the Thai government has been in contact with the most prominent experts on cave diving.  8 out now, 5 left.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2018

I'm sure the Thai government has been in contact with the most prominent experts on cave diving.  8 out now, 5 left.  
    There are 18 divers. Five are from thailand, and the rest international "pros".

I do realize that.  But their are divers who specifically dive in caves.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I hope Saman Gunan goes down as a legend and as a mythical figure,  worldwide really but at least in Thailand.  

I do realize that.  But their are divers who specifically dive in caves.  
    I think these divers do. I guess you have to know your stuff, with one diver on CNN saying this "is the mount everest of cave diving" :)
    Could be a naive question but I wonder if they could have just pumped the water out of the cave in the first place?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Could be a naive question but I wonder if they could have just pumped the water out of the cave in the first place?
    They have pumped out a lot of water, which has made it easier. 

When they turned of the pumps for 12 minutes, the water rose 10cm I think.

The weather is against them. 
    brianlux said:

Sounds like a tough, frustrating job.  I hope they think to block entrance to that cave off after this is all over.

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Sounds like a tough, frustrating job.  I hope they think to block entrance to that cave off after this is all over.
    I hope they block the cave off as well when all have been rescued.
    Why did the coach and the boys decide to go into the cave during the rainy season, despite posted warning signs?
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I hope they block the cave off as well when all have been rescued.
    Why did the coach and the boys decide to go into the cave during the rainy season, despite posted warning signs?
    What i've read: It wasn't raining when they entered. The season for not entering the cave is starting in July with the rainy season - which I guess will be pushed to earlier now. They went in, in june. It's a popular cave where the coach had been many times before.

Seems a bit unsafe if the cave becomes a deathtrap if you're in there with it starting to rain. Or what caused it to fill up so fast, or them not being able to get out before it filled up.
    brianlux said:
    As mentioned they did. But not only was weather against them with storms predicted, so was time. I heard oxygen was running out and attempts to pump in air have failed. So with air and bad weather coming there wouldn’t be enough time to pump all the water out.
    They did some which shortened the amount of diving needed though.