Star Wars May the 4th be with you (Spoilers)

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    goldrush said:
    Saw Solo this afternoon, and really enjoyed it! The casting was very good, Donald Glover was great as Lando.
    It has reaffirmed my love of Star Wars after the disappointing Last Jedi
    saw a late show last night (11:30) Agree Donald Glover was great as Lando.  Overall i liked it a lot, some surprise cameos.  One thing which i was kinda afraid of was the gut who played Han.  It just didn't seem like it was the right person to play him.  He did ok, but just didn't feel like Han to me. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    I liked it. But the thing I hate with some movies is that the screen is too dark. The green tint or whatever. 
    I miss igotid88
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    goldrush said:
    Saw Solo this afternoon, and really enjoyed it! The casting was very good, Donald Glover was great as Lando.
    It has reaffirmed my love of Star Wars after the disappointing Last Jedi
    saw a late show last night (11:30) Agree Donald Glover was great as Lando.  Overall i liked it a lot, some surprise cameos.  One thing which i was kinda afraid of was the gut who played Han.  It just didn't seem like it was the right person to play him.  He did ok, but just didn't feel like Han to me. 
    I think he did an ok job. I can’t think of anyone that could play a young Harrison Ford convincingly, but I think he was pretty good. 

I think Solo may be the best of the 4 new Star Wars movies, in my opinion. It’s probably the one I was looking forward to the least (especially after TLJ), but I think they pulled off a really good movie. There were plenty of subtle nods to events from the original trilogy, and it looks like it will link in with others too - maybe a sequel/spin off, or the Boba Fett one that is being talked about. Apparently the main cast signed multiple movie contracts.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Boba Fett film in the works?
    i'M STILL HOPING THAT THIS ISN'T TRUE...   We saw pretty much his origin in clone wars.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Lando!!!
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,205
    i'M STILL HOPING THAT THIS ISN'T TRUE...   We saw pretty much his origin in clone wars.
    Agreed! Hoping to see a lot more of the surprise character from the end of solo.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Given Solo's opening weekend numbers I would be shocked to see this Boba Fett movie go forward.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    Given Solo's opening weekend numbers I would be shocked to see this Boba Fett movie go forward.

Every body was going to BBQ's and not a movie?

It did twice as much as Deadpool.
    JimmyV said:

Deadpool is in its second weekend. In its opening weekend it brought in $125+ million. Solo looks to have brought in about $85 million through Sunday which is down from The Force Awakens ($248), Rogue One ($155) and The Last Jedi ($220). That is not good.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

Deadpool is in its second weekend. In its opening weekend it brought in $125+ million. Solo looks to have brought in about $85 million through Sunday which is down from The Force Awakens ($248), Rogue One ($155) and The Last Jedi ($220). That is not good.
    Good on the moviegoing public. The "stories" are unnecessary and inferior cash grabs.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

Good on the moviegoing public. The "stories" are unnecessary and inferior cash grabs.
    I'm  more interested in what happened to Kylo and his training.  That would be interesting.
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

Nothing did good this weekend.
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

LeBron did good!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

They don't have to be. There just doesn't seem to be any plan. Solo could have easily led into Boba Fett, Boba Fett could have easily led into Obi-Wan. There just needs to be a plan rather than a list of characters and titles on a white board.

dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

LeBron did good!
    He did well, lol!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

They don't have to be. There just doesn't seem to be any plan. Solo could have easily led into Boba Fett, Boba Fett could have easily led into Obi-Wan. There just needs to be a plan rather than a list of characters and titles on a white board.
    Agreed, that's where the MCU is crushing them, they won't keep up with these standalones with cameos.
    They need a framework for tying it all together and making the cameos mean something.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

Agreed, that's where the MCU is crushing them, they won't keep up with these standalones with cameos.
    They need a framework for tying it all together and making the cameos mean something.
    Difference with MCU is that those are proven good stories already where SW is writing new unproven ones.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Agreed! Hoping to see a lot more of the surprise character from the end of solo.
    yeah i don't think they need to do one.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Not everyone followed the clone wars show on Cartoon Network.
    Just watch the Movie Clone Wars then
    Just watch the Movie Clone Wars then
    I don’t think he’s speaking of Fett.
    How I would have relaunched the Star Wars universe, given the benefit of hindsight and admittedly not having to risk billions of dollars or my personal and professional reputations in the process...

The Force Awakens (2015)
    Rogue One (2016)
    The Knights of Ren (2017) -->
    Episode VIII (2018)
    Solo/Fett/Underworld film (2019) -->
    Kenobi (2020) -->
    Episode IX (2021)

A movie every year is fine, as long as there is some sort of plan that ties most or all of them together. Releasing TFA in 2015 and following that up with Rogue One the next year worked. After that is where things started to come apart. Both the original and prequel trilogies spaced episodes out with three years in between. This sequel trilogy opted for only two. This led to Rian Johnson writing his script for The Last Jedi based only on the script for The Force Awakens, not the finished film itself, because of time constraints. So, right off the bat we are adding an additional year in between episodes. The Knights of Ren I see as not just a Kylo origin but also as a backstory explaining what has gone on in the galaxy far, far away since the end of Return of the Jedi. This is where I would have told the story of Luke's failed Jedi academy, Snoke's rise, and Kylo's turn. That leads directly into Episode 8. Four movies on four years, released every December. Call this Phase 1 if you want.

LucasFilm has been hellbent for years to make both Solo and Boba Fett. I don't know why, but fine. Phase 2 starts with some combined version of the two based in the seedy underworld of the galaxy. Gangsters, smugglers, bounty hunters...a Jyn Erso cameo that connects Rogue One...AND the reveal of SPOILER that we got at the end of Solo. That reveal leads directly into The Last Temptation of Obi-Wan, where he contemplates leaving the Jedi Order and his mission in exile behind before SPOILER, who has learned Vader's son lives and is on Tattooine, arrives looking for Luke Skywalker. That threat snaps Kenobi out of it and, after vanquishing SPOILER, he regains the peace we saw him with originally in A New Hope. This leads to Episode 9, where we see force ghost Kenobi again. Personally, I would go with the Darth Plagueis story and introduce the idea that he was the Phantom Menace all along, creating the Skywalker bloodline through his experiments with the Force and tying the whole saga together. Call that Phase 2.

From there you can launch the Rian Johnson trilogy or the Dan and Dave series or whatever else you want. Old Republic, Unknown Regions, Outer Rim...anything and everything. Phase 3 is now wide open.

That's what I would have loved to see.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    JimmyV said:
    How I would have relaunched the Star Wars universe, given the benefit of hindsight and admittedly not having to risk billions of dollars or my personal and professional reputations in the process...

The Force Awakens (2015)
    Rogue One (2016)
    The Knights of Ren (2017) -->
    Episode VIII (2018)
    Solo/Fett/Underworld film (2019) -->
    Kenobi (2020) -->
    Episode IX (2021)

A movie every year is fine, as long as there is some sort of plan that ties most or all of them together. Releasing TFA in 2015 and following that up with Rogue One the next year worked. After that is where things started to come apart. Both the original and prequel trilogies spaced episodes out with three years in between. This sequel trilogy opted for only two. This led to Rian Johnson writing his script for The Last Jedi based only on the script for The Force Awakens, not the finished film itself, because of time constraints. So, right off the bat we are adding an additional year in between episodes. The Knights of Ren I see as not just a Kylo origin but also as a backstory explaining what has gone on in the galaxy far, far away since the end of Return of the Jedi. This is where I would have told the story of Luke's failed Jedi academy, Snoke's rise, and Kylo's turn. That leads directly into Episode 8. Four movies on four years, released every December. Call this Phase 1 if you want.

LucasFilm has been hellbent for years to make both Solo and Boba Fett. I don't know why, but fine. Phase 2 starts with some combined version of the two based in the seedy underworld of the galaxy. Gangsters, smugglers, bounty hunters...a Jyn Erso cameo that connects Rogue One...AND the reveal of SPOILER that we got at the end of Solo. That reveal leads directly into The Last Temptation of Obi-Wan, where he contemplates leaving the Jedi Order and his mission in exile behind before SPOILER, who has learned Vader's son lives and is on Tattooine, arrives looking for Luke Skywalker. That threat snaps Kenobi out of it and, after vanquishing SPOILER, he regains the peace we saw him with originally in A New Hope. This leads to Episode 9, where we see force ghost Kenobi again. Personally, I would go with the Darth Plagueis story and introduce the idea that he was the Phantom Menace all along, creating the Skywalker bloodline through his experiments with the Force and tying the whole saga together. Call that Phase 2.

From there you can launch the Rian Johnson trilogy or the Dan and Dave series or whatever else you want. Old Republic, Unknown Regions, Outer Rim...anything and everything. Phase 3 is now wide open.

That's what I would have loved to see.

There seems to be a pretty good chance that you have thought this through more thoroughly than Disney did! :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    igotid88 said:
    The way some shitwad "fans" have attacked her is infuriating.

Enfys Nest for President
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377

Hobbes said:

I was trying to remember her name after the movie, so I Googled "Solo teenage girl." I had to clear my browser history afterward. The Internet is a fucking cesspool.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Right, the internet is the cesspool, not the user.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:

I was trying to remember her name after the movie, so I Googled "Solo teenage girl." I had to clear my browser history afterward. The Internet is a fucking cesspool.
    It is there now -- no way to remove it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved