The Concept of God

Comments

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    my2hands said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    And I choose logic, and therefore assert that the concept of the existence of God is ludicrous. I can be 100% secure and confident in that assertion. But you seem to have a problem with that, even though you make the exact same claim about your ideas.
    You are in for an enormous unfathomable wake up call one of these days pjsoul, just giving you the heads-up.  That my friend is reality.

It probably won't be today or tomorrow but You'll see. :)

What have you seen thats so special?
    2nd Thessalonians chapter 2 spells it out pretty well.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Thessalonians+2&version=KJV
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    RYME said:
    my2hands said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    And I choose logic, and therefore assert that the concept of the existence of God is ludicrous. I can be 100% secure and confident in that assertion. But you seem to have a problem with that, even though you make the exact same claim about your ideas.
    You are in for an enormous unfathomable wake up call one of these days pjsoul, just giving you the heads-up.  That my friend is reality.

It probably won't be today or tomorrow but You'll see. :)

What have you seen thats so special?
    2nd Thessalonians chapter 2 spells it out pretty well.
    How about in your words my friend?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    What RYME is referring to I'm pretty sure is The Rapture (there is actually no reference to the word "rapture" in the Bible- I'm not sure where that term comes from).  My understanding is that many chuches no longer teach about a "Rapture".  In fact,  according to the article linked below, the concept was invented by a man named John Darby.  And according to this article:

the Rapture has not been taught in Christian churches for 90% of church history.

I guess anything is possible and I would not go so far as to personally insult anyone who believes in it, but I would say that this kind of teaching/thinking probably does more harm than good in the long run.  According to Christianity Today, only 1/3 of pastors believe Christians will be raptured.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    What if God was one of us?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited May 2018
    For a while there was a thread titled "McCready is God".  Do you suppose they were on to something?  I don't think Mike is the world's greatest guitar player, but he's damn good (oops, sorry, God) and he'd make a fine god, wouldn't you say?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    For a while there was a thread titled "McCready is God".  Do you suppose they were on to something?  I don't think Mike is the world's greatest guitar player, but he's damn good (oops, sorry, God) and he'd make a fine god, wouldn't you say?
    He's pretty good.
    Was trying to start a sing along... lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited May 2018
    brianlux said:
    What RYME is referring to I'm pretty sure is The Rapture (there is actually no reference to the word "rapture" in the Bible- I'm not sure where that term comes from).  My understanding is that many chuches no longer teach about a "Rapture".  In fact,  according to the article linked below, the concept was invented by a man named John Darby.  And according to this article:

the Rapture has not been taught in Christian churches for 90% of church history.

I guess anything is possible and I would not go so far as to personally insult anyone who believes in it, but I would say that this kind of teaching/thinking probably does more harm than good in the long run.  According to Christianity Today, only 1/3 of pastors believe Christians will be raptured.

No Brian there is no rapture.
    The word rapture isn't in the Bible.
    The Rapture Theory started around 1830  because of a woman name that Margaret McDonald.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    so the concept of the existence of god is illogical to you, but the idea we are living in a holographic simulation is perfectly logical. 

i cannot really fathom how you don't see how utterly contradictory those statements are.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2018
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    and this is the other end of the "I know the unknowable" spectrum. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

isn't that a song?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    so the concept of the existence of god is illogical to you, but the idea we are living in a holographic simulation is perfectly logical. 

i cannot really fathom how you don't see how utterly contradictory those statements are.  
    I can't fathom how you fail to see the difference in the two.
    One is a theoey based on advanced and incredible volumes of collected and tested knowledge from a rigourous system of reason, logic, and accountability.
    The other is a proclaimed certainty delivered by revelation which is utterly fraught with contradictions and glaring impossibilities.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    PJ_Soul said:
    just to expand on this, the same could be said about aliens. I think it is unfathomable that they DON'T exist, however, I find it just as unfathomable that they've been here without the masses knowing about it while the government does (if they have the technology to get here, surely they have the superior intellect/resources to avoid capture by puny humans). yet, there are people, many people, that swear they've had an extra-terrestrial encounter. others in the military that swear they've been to bunkers with aliens imprisoned. I'm not going to sit here on my soapbox and tell someone they are full of shit just because I haven't personally experienced it. I think it's entirely possible they are telling the truth. I also think it's entirely possible they experienced something else entirely. 

my point is, there's no way for me to know either way. there's no way for anyone to know. belief and knowledge are two different things. language is important. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    brianlux said:

The Rapture Theory started around 1830  because of a woman name that Margaret McDonald.
    Oops, sorry for the mistaken assumption, RYME!

If not the Rapture, what were you referring to if I might ask?

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

One is a theoey based on advanced and incredible volumes of collected and tested knowledge from a rigourous system of reason, logic, and accountability.
    The other is a proclaimed certainty delivered by revelation which is utterly fraught with contradictions and glaring impossibilities.
    I'm not talking about religion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/physicists-find-we-re-not-living-in-a-computer-simulation
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

in essence, if we are living in a simulation, that would make the programmer "god" (or more specifically, "the creator"). so how you can say there is no god but there is a creator IS in fact a contradictory statement. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so does that make it possible that the characters in video games are self-aware? LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

I'll take a guess.  When we get rejected at the pearly gates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

in essence, if we are living in a simulation, that would make the programmer "god" (or more specifically, "the creator"). so how you can say there is no god but there is a creator IS in fact a contradictory statement. 
    But Hawking's theory had nothing to do with a programmed simulation, that's an incorrect and lay way of describing it and it convolutes the meaning entirely.  
    It is about "holographic projection", yes, but that's only a way of describing a mathematical model that people can understand, it isn't literal.

It's that huge distance between devising concrete notions of creation by a sentient God and searching endlessly for new and more accurate ways of describing the universe as we understand it that makes such a huge difference in the rationality of believing.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But Hawking's theory had nothing to do with a programmed simulation, that's an incorrect and lay way of describing it and it convolutes the meaning entirely.  
    It is about "holographic projection", yes, but that's only a way of describing a mathematical model that people can understand, it isn't literal.

It's that huge distance between devising concrete notions of creation by a sentient God and searching endlessly for new and more accurate ways of describing the universe as we understand it that makes such a huge difference in the rationality of believing.
    I have no problem admitting you have lost me here, gambs. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018

PJ_Soul said:

No, I did not say it's logical. I said it's not as preposterous. I said that it's at least scientifically feasible, unlike God, because holographic simulations actually exist.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

That's alright Brian.  I can see how you might have thought that.  Some people are just certain for sure that there is no God.  To that, I suggested reading 2nd Thessalonians chapter 2.
    Here it is again.
    Quoting the Bible when trying to tell an Atheist he or she is sinful and wicked (and that is what you're calling me with that quote) is pretty much the most pointless method for discussion possible.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

That's alright Brian.  I can see how you might have thought that.  Some people are just certain for sure that there is no God.  To that, I suggested reading 2nd Thessalonians chapter 2.
    Here it is again.
    Seems like a vengeful god who is insecure about his/her supremacy. "You better believe in my or you're going to burn."
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    "I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
     ...Stephen F Roberts
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    jeffbr said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Here it is again.
    Seems like a vengeful god who is insecure about his/her supremacy. "You better believe in my or you're going to burn."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/04/26/heartsick-boy-asks-pope-my-dad-heaven/553844002/

Pope says we're all good.  I'll side with the Pope.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited May 2018
    "I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
     ...Stephen F Roberts
    That's a good quote. I would argue that it doesn't quite cover all the bases, since the belief that the concept of any God is ludicrous doesn't apply to someone who believes in any god. But still, it makes a point that might at least make a believer think for a second.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    jeffbr said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Here it is again.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/04/26/heartsick-boy-asks-pope-my-dad-heaven/553844002/

and yet that shithead refuses to apologize for the role in aboriginal genocide in canada. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

jeffbr said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Here it is again.

and yet that shithead refuses to apologize for the role in aboriginal genocide in canada. 
    And still refuses to move towards gender equality within the Church.
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Here it is again.

And still refuses to move towards gender equality within the Church.
    Plus pedophile priests are still being shifted around from parish to parish.