RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I think there’s gonna be a pretty big void without Chris around as PJ starts to play shows again. Will feel different.

Thank God he did the Temple tour. 
    that is the one tour I wish I would have splurged on and not waited for a local show. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited March 2018
    No one ever had the authority your voice grace

Set it off my children set a fire
    Set it right
    Post edited by Shyner on
    Dont save it for another day
    Sincerity dies when the tongue has brain cells
    In an instant you became me
    I drift off into audioslave albums
    3 of them
    Fuckin blow up the outside world
    I'd be waiting to sincerity in the fire
    I'm the first to dive into the gators mouth
    We are like lambs with lampeyes
    Im never talking about god
    Intelligent people dissapear
    Chris, they always wanna fight me
    I love you sincerly. Save you 

• And I heard it in the wind / I saw it in the sky
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I don't know if this is the right thread, or if there's even a right thread for this, so mods, feel free to delete. But...I have OCD, and in 2006 was given a prescription of Ativan. I took it intermitently through 2013, then stopped. Chris' death caused an OCD lapse, which I knew was going to happen the second I heard about it. I attacked OCD like a man possessed - but part of the treatment was an increased dosage of my daily antidepressant, and to bridge the gap I began taking Ativan again. I took it for a couple weeks, then stopped, and hadn't taken it since June...and then last week realized I still had the pills at home and at work.
    So I got rid of them.
    Look: I have no idea if benzos contributed to Chris' death or not. But I've done a lot of research over the past few months and learned a lot about them, and I wanted them out of my life. Even though I wasn't using them, symbolically, it felt great disposing of the pills (at the pharmacy! we don't flush pills in this house!) and then having a ceremonial disposal of the pill container itself.
    I've gotta believe there are silver linings to Chris' death. I wasn't sure how I felt (or feel, for that matter) about Vicky's crusade against benzos, but her raising awareness about their potential pitfalls is a silver lining. My therapist declared me recovered in November - so that's a silver lining, too. 
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    NWOntario said:
    I don't know if this is the right thread, or if there's even a right thread for this, so mods, feel free to delete. But...I have OCD, and in 2006 was given a prescription of Ativan. I took it intermitently through 2013, then stopped. Chris' death caused an OCD lapse, which I knew was going to happen the second I heard about it. I attacked OCD like a man possessed - but part of the treatment was an increased dosage of my daily antidepressant, and to bridge the gap I began taking Ativan again. I took it for a couple weeks, then stopped, and hadn't taken it since June...and then last week realized I still had the pills at home and at work.
    So I got rid of them.
    Look: I have no idea if benzos contributed to Chris' death or not. But I've done a lot of research over the past few months and learned a lot about them, and I wanted them out of my life. Even though I wasn't using them, symbolically, it felt great disposing of the pills (at the pharmacy! we don't flush pills in this house!) and then having a ceremonial disposal of the pill container itself.
    I've gotta believe there are silver linings to Chris' death. I wasn't sure how I felt (or feel, for that matter) about Vicky's crusade against benzos, but her raising awareness about their potential pitfalls is a silver lining. My therapist declared me recovered in November - so that's a silver lining, too. 
    she's not on a crusade against the meds. she's on a crusade of awareness and over-prescribing, at least that's how I see it. I saw her in an interview explicitly state that many people benefit from these drugs, but recovering addicts are not in that group. 

we now know that chris relapsed. chester also relapsed, and his wife claims the shame of that is what ended his life. maybe that had something to do with Chris's frame of mind at the time as well. who knows. but one thing's for sure: too many doctors are just writing these scripts willy nilly, and they need to be taken more seriously and with close monitoring. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    not sure what her crusade is
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    NWOntario said:
    So I got rid of them.
    she's not on a crusade against the meds. she's on a crusade of awareness and over-prescribing, at least that's how I see it. I saw her in an interview explicitly state that many people benefit from these drugs, but recovering addicts are not in that group. 

we now know that chris relapsed. chester also relapsed, and his wife claims the shame of that is what ended his life. maybe that had something to do with Chris's frame of mind at the time as well. who knows. but one thing's for sure: too many doctors are just writing these scripts willy nilly, and they need to be taken more seriously and with close monitoring. 
    That's more what I meant; thanks for articulating it so much better! The increased awareness is a silver lining. Further to your final point, I thought this was an interesting article:
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1715050
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    not sure what her crusade is

This. But better not say any more.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
    not sure what you folks are getting at. her crusade seems rather obvious to me. her mother is a different story. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• There's obviously been a tremendous amount of not just grief but also confusion around Chris's passing since his personal life seemed to have stabilized around the second Audioslave album and been pretty steady since. His energy generally since that time was so positive; he had such a survivor vibe about him in interviews and such a commitment to life. And his recent music is so life affirming - Higher Truth, The Promise, the Temple tour.

So the shock is so intense given all that and I don't think is really diminishing. It's normal for people to look for one exact cause, like the benzos, and NWOntario, if this has helped you get off them, it's totally a silver lining. But I think when someone like Vicky goes on a crusade against benzos it comes a bit from a need to simplify things and assign blame which is totally understandable when faced with overwhelming grief.

I don't have an exact answer right now. I miss him like crazy. He was and is my hero in ways I feel like I'm just starting to understand. I do know that when you listen to a song like Black Saturday off King Animal, Chris still felt the darkness in the last few years of his life in addition to all the hope, joy, and love expressed in stuff like the Higher Truth album and The Promise.

That's all for now, I guess. Love to everyone.
  • And it's up to all of us to honour him and keep on rowing.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    That's crazy.  I have a Variant of the Soundgarden - Vancouver 2013 one as I liked it better than the colors they used at the show.  Your two are different than those too.....

• Zod said:
    That's crazy.  I have a Variant of the Soundgarden - Vancouver 2013 one as I liked it better than the colors they used at the show.  Your two are different than those too.....

Yea I think there are 4 total versions of the Vancouver 2013 print

• Really nice tribute to Chris from Shawn Smith worth checking out. Link to buy - http://www.headwaytalent.co.uk/portfolio/shawn-smith/
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,701
    NWOntario said:
    So I got rid of them.
    I too have battled OCD for 14 years . Well done to you primarily. Its your hard work that has saved you. Hats of my friend
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    There's obviously been a tremendous amount of not just grief but also confusion around Chris's passing since his personal life seemed to have stabilized around the second Audioslave album and been pretty steady since. His energy generally since that time was so positive; he had such a survivor vibe about him in interviews and such a commitment to life. And his recent music is so life affirming - Higher Truth, The Promise, the Temple tour.

So the shock is so intense given all that and I don't think is really diminishing. It's normal for people to look for one exact cause, like the benzos, and NWOntario, if this has helped you get off them, it's totally a silver lining. But I think when someone like Vicky goes on a crusade against benzos it comes a bit from a need to simplify things and assign blame which is totally understandable when faced with overwhelming grief.

I don't have an exact answer right now. I miss him like crazy. He was and is my hero in ways I feel like I'm just starting to understand. I do know that when you listen to a song like Black Saturday off King Animal, Chris still felt the darkness in the last few years of his life in addition to all the hope, joy, and love expressed in stuff like the Higher Truth album and The Promise.

she's not on a crusade against benzos. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• There's obviously been a tremendous amount of not just grief but also confusion around Chris's passing since his personal life seemed to have stabilized around the second Audioslave album and been pretty steady since. His energy generally since that time was so positive; he had such a survivor vibe about him in interviews and such a commitment to life. And his recent music is so life affirming - Higher Truth, The Promise, the Temple tour.

Geez that was like the least important part of what I wrote man 
    There's obviously been a tremendous amount of not just grief but also confusion around Chris's passing since his personal life seemed to have stabilized around the second Audioslave album and been pretty steady since. His energy generally since that time was so positive; he had such a survivor vibe about him in interviews and such a commitment to life. And his recent music is so life affirming - Higher Truth, The Promise, the Temple tour.

Geez that was like the least important part of what I wrote man 
    sorry. I'll only comment on pre-approved sections of your post next time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• It seemed a weird sentence to focus on is all
  • Solo acoustic version of Zero Chance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOIY8isBhe8
  • dospawndospawn Posts: 210
    Thought i'd leave this here.

edited May 2018
    I'm already  thinking  where did the last year go. I'm listening  to audioslave wishing i had paid more attention  to it previously  . I listen  to cc  most days.   Still the very best I've ever seen or heard
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    The day it was confirmed  as suicide  part of me felt closer  to the music. And now  a year on I'm closer than last year to it all
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

The day it was confirmed  as suicide  part of me felt closer  to the music. And now  a year on I'm closer than last year to it all
    to me it's actually harder. part of me believes his wife that it was unintentional, that in some way the meds had some influence on him doing it when under normal mental circumstances he wouldn't have. to me that's tragic. if someone wants to leave this world, fine, but if someone does it by accident not understanding what they are doing? brutal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yes  I get you on that
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    to me it's actually harder. part of me believes his wife that it was unintentional, that in some way the meds had some influence on him doing it when under normal mental circumstances he wouldn't have. to me that's tragic. if someone wants to leave this world, fine, but if someone does it by accident not understanding what they are doing? brutal. 

I tend to agree with her, I think the evidence strongly suggests he relapsed, which in itself would have stirred up a lot of past emotions, then add impairment - it's not a big stretch.  I'm still struggling to come to terms with it.  I listen to some of his music from time to time, but it's forever changed for me.
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    meds made it easier to do what he did.  but that feeling or emotion that made him do what he did was always there...

at least that is what i believe.