No.  This post is not a mistake.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited April 2018
    They are starting a fan club called cherry tree. Sounds similar to 10c. $50 US/$65 International

- annual vinyl
    - exclusive merch
    - priority ticketing. 

band is big time now. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    Link would probably be nice.

https://americanmary.com/cherry-tree/join
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    Link would probably be nice.

https://americanmary.com/cherry-tree/join
    This sounds interesting, but the only thing I would want is the "collectible vinyl", which could mean anything from a rare club variant, a 7 inch, to the worst case scenario - a flexi. Either way, I could probably buy it for less than $50 later. They always play at the same boring venue near me and priority tickets wouldn't mean anything. This is a great idea for people who want all of the other stuff or it could end up like the Gaslight Anthem Club, which was a complete joke.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2018
    Wow, $50 right at its launch - that's really steep. I mean, come on, it's The National. I really like them, but who do they think they are? That's like U2 and PJ expensive. I don't think They National has quite earned a $50 fan club yet. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow, $50 right at its launch - that's really steep. I mean, come on, it's The National. I really like them, but who do they think they are? That's like U2 and PJ expensive. I don't think They National has quite earned a $50 fan club yet. :lol:
    IF we knew they were going to give out something like a fan club only LIVE double album I'd be plunking down my cash immediately.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    edited April 2018
    IDK, Jack White charges $60 for his fanclub. Id say at this point, they are pretty comparable size wise. 

Hopefully this lands with a watered down vault-ish package. Like a double LP. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edited April 2018
    IDK, Jack White charges $60 for his fanclub. Id say at this point, they are pretty comparable. 

That's not a Jack White fan club. That's just a quarterly subscription for Third Man Records. I don't think that's comparable at all. Plus, with the TMR Vault subscription you know what you're going to get before you're locked in to pay for it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I think anything less than a 12" EP a year is gonna be disappointing 
    PJ_Soul said:
    IF we knew they were going to give out something like a fan club only LIVE double album I'd be plunking down my cash immediately.
    A limited live double album could sell for $50 by itself, so yeah I guess.
    PJ_Soul said:
    IDK, Jack White charges $60 for his fanclub. Id say at this point, they are pretty comparable. 

That's not a Jack White fan club. That's just a quarterly subscription for Third Man Records. I don't think that's comparable at all. Plus, with the TMR Vault subscription you know what you're going to get before you're locked in to pay for it.
    But lets be honest why people join the vault. They only want Jack stuff. 

And my comment had more to do with their $50 fanclub not being that unreasonable given their popularity. I think they are comparable to JW3 at this point in time. Specifics wise, yes, TMR is up front with contents for their quarters. I guess I just hope NTL's management can reasonably deduce what the vinyl should be looking at TMR or even the 10c. Granted with 10c you get a DL code, a shirt and a newsletter for $10 less. but for TMR you get a 7" and something else, sometimes a DVD for $10 more. I hoping they find a reasonable middle ground for National fans. 

PJ_Soul said:

But lets be honest why people join the vault. They only want Jack stuff. 

And my comment had more to do with their $50 fanclub not being that unreasonable given their popularity. I think they are comparable to JW3 at this point in time. Specifics wise, yes, TMR is up front with contents for their quarters. I guess I just hope NTL's management can reasonably deduce what the vinyl should be looking at TMR or even the 10c. Granted with 10c you get a DL code, a shirt and a newsletter for $10 less. but for TMR you get a 7" and something else, sometimes a DVD for $10 more. I hoping they find a reasonable middle ground for National fans. 

I don't think so... I'd be happy to get anything from TMR if it's good. But at any rate, it's not a fan club. It really doesn't come with fan club type perks for the most part.
    But anyway, yeah, I'm not big on the "mystery" item concept in general.

Access to tickets, exclusive merch, opportunities for meet and greets, chat forum for q&a’s with staff or Jack. Those are usual fan club perks. 

edited April 2018

Access to tickets, exclusive merch, opportunities for meet and greets, chat forum for q&a’s with staff or Jack. Those are usual fan club perks. 

But it's all TMR stuff, not just JW stuff. It's a subscription to a record company, isn't it? I totally don't think of JW and TMR as one in the same, if you're separating out Jack's solo work. 
    As for access to tix... was there special access for TMR vault subscribers? I don't even remember. He had like 5 pre-sales, lol, so you definitely don't have to be a vault member for ticket access. And he does regular q&a's on Twitter, so you don't need to be a vault member for that either... I dunno, maybe you're right... But it sure seems that you get most of those perks whether you buy the vault package or not. So at the very least, I guess I think it's a pretty serious waste of money to pay for the vault in order to get whatever so-called perks it claims to offer. I hope nobody is paying for it if they don't actually want the vault package.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    I guess we’ll just disagree. I think people only care about the non JW stuff because it’s his label. If you take JW away from TMR, very few people would give a shit about it. No one would care about a new Loretta Lynn album, or the Black belles, or Karen Elsen. People only got those Vaults because Jack produced them. I think TMR is what it is because of JW. 
    I guess we’ll just disagree. I think people only care about the non JW stuff because it’s his label. If you take JW away from TMR, very few people would give a shit about it. No one would care about a new Loretta Lynn album, or the Black belles, or Karen Elsen. People only got those Vaults because Jack produced them. I think TMR is what it is because of JW. 
    I agree completely.  
    Anyway, my main point being, paying $50 for a sub, NTL better deliver something decent between TMR and 10c’s goods. 
    edited April 2018
    deadendp said:
    I agree completely.  
    Yes, so do I, with the last sentence. I'm not sure how anyone could think otherwise. TMR is completely JW's thing - he's got all the control there. It's his company. But I am not sure about people only caring about any of the other artists on the label just because of the label... Do people seriously waste money like that? FWIW, that Karen Elson vault is fantastic, and I think lots of people like her without caring about the label. Loretta Lynn?... Well I can't stand it, but doesn't she have a pretty massive fan base? Not to mention Pearl Jam. How many people signed up for that TMR vault just because they are PJ fans? Thousands I think. It didn't matter to them if it was TMR at all IMO (even with JW playing guitar for OTE). Anyway, doesn't matter - just talking!
    Oh yeah, this is a thread about The National, lol. So is The National getting bigger? I never felt that The National was much of a big deal in a wider sense, like outside of people like us, haha. Maybe now they're kind of hitting the mainstream more, and that's why they've decided to start this $50 fan club? Or are they doing it to grow a fan base more because it's not growing the way they want it to? I actually have no clue how popular The National really is. I don't listen to radio or anything like that, and don't pay attention to top 100 lists or anything... And I'm not clear on what playing at festivals even means anymore. What I do know for sure is that The National still isn't booking bigger venues for their own shows.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Its a weird popularity. They've had no real hits. I guess Fake Empire is their most well known song because of the Obama commercial. Boxer is probably their biggest selling album and that came out 10 years ago. But also all that stuff happened before music streaming. So its possible SWB could be their most popular album. 

All I know is, Ive been a fan of this band since 05 and seen them everytime they come through Chicago since 06. Chicago is a big market and they keep playing bigger shows here every time (this summer they headline Lolla - but as the "other stage" act). So I have to assume their fanbase is growing here in a major market. So that leads me to believe that there must be some growth is smaller markets as well. 

I've long seen them as a new REM in terms of natural growth of fanbase. So maybe their One I Love is around the corner. 

I really like them, but for some reason they put on a crap show in Vancouver, in terms of venue. I saw them a few years ago and they played one of the crappiest venues in the city - a little outdoor amphitheater at the PNE fair grounds -  and the last time they came to town just recently they played the f'n QE Theatre, which has the worst sound in the city, so I didn't even bother going, since I've boycotted that venue, lol. Really hoping they actually book a decent venue the next time they come to town!
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    I just climbed the Cherry Tree....
    Couldn't resist - I love this band & I love vinyl!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    They just announced 2 shows at the Hollywood Palladium in September.  The shows are GA, so the Cherry Tree presale doesn't provide too much of an advantage.  However, I joined in hopes of getting good seats next time they do a reserved seat show in L.A.
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    They just announced 2 shows at the Hollywood Palladium in September.  The shows are GA, so the Cherry Tree presale doesn't provide too much of an advantage.  However, I joined in hopes of getting good seats next time they do a reserved seat show in L.A.
    I joined this morning as well.  :)  I'm excited to see what they come up with!  
    FYI- There is a member pre-sale for Forest Hills.