PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    good to see you guys are now ok with a prospect being in the major leagues and playing 3-5 times a week since you so were vehemently against it last year when I suggested Hoskins should be doing that.  but hey we had tommy joseph ahead of him at the time and we couldn't have two right handers at the same position :i_dunno:

I applaud the move and getting your best players on the major league roster.  simple concept isn't it?
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Was going to get an Arieta shirsey but now I'll get a Kingery. I don't have any current player gear. I need to freshen up my Phillies wardrobe.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Right - and if he's actually good the options for years 7-9 are a bargain.

These are moves this team is not making 5 years ago; love the shrewdness. 
    These are not your father's Phillies....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Today is a very soothing day.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kingery isn't even starting most games in April or May.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited March 2018
    Fresh start today! Have watched a few spring training games but it'll be nice to watch some meaningful baseball.

I just hope for a season good enough so that come August we can look at the standings and say "Hey, if we get hot we could have a shot at the playoffs." Last year we were dead as soon as we let up 3 straight homers to the Dodgers in the bottom of the ninth.

Lot of big prospects this year too, gonna be interesting to see how they can do.
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
    A bit surprising to not see Herrera in the lineup. A spicy start to the season with Santana hitting 2nd, Williams 3rd, Crawford 6th? Hmmmm...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    finally it's game day!  Go Phills!

This year i'm thinking 79 wins is doable
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    well that sucked ass! Blow a 5 run lead.  Shouldn't have pulled Nola that early IMO.  :angry:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited March 2018
    Not a good start for Kapler. What was that about taking Nola out when he did?
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Well that was fucking atrocious
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    well that sucked ass! Blow a 5 run lead.  Shouldn't have pulled Nola that early IMO.  :angry:

It was insane. He was dealing through 5. In the sixth, he gave up a hit, got a flyout. AND WAS PULLED? What the fuck?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

It was insane. He was dealing through 5. In the sixth, he gave up a hit, got a flyout. AND WAS PULLED? What the fuck?
    Taking Hoskins out was a little curious too...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Not gonna walk back my criticism of the arrieta signing completely because I still think it’s fairly pointless, but the Santana signing is truly perplexing. I don’t understand why they’re fucking with Hoskins so much.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Santana is a very good player but I agree
      They have a logjam in the system for young players.  Save that money for another pitching singing.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Ridiculous to give up a lead like that. Though I'll say...I was about to write a bunch of nonsense, which is not needed. Bad managing flat out.
    Game 1 of 162

I can't stand Markakis
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I fucking hate Freddie Freeman.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Game 1 of 162

I can't stand Markakis
    That it is, but let's see if he keeps trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Game 1 of 162

I can't stand Markakis
    That it is, but let's see if he keeps trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Yeah definitely a smartest guy in the room kinda guy

My buddy on facebook is already calling for Kapler to be fired. He also called for Bret Brown to be fired when they had a rough few weeks in December.

Long season. Rookie manager.

chinese-happy.jpg

Not gonna walk back my criticism of the arrieta signing completely because I still think it’s fairly pointless, but the Santana signing is truly perplexing. I don’t understand why they’re fucking with Hoskins so much.

Meh. I know they just moved him to first and took Joseph out for defensive switches last year and they can't do that now. But I don't think he's been terrible in left thus far. Feel like he's been better than I anticipated and the position change obviously has not hurt him at the plate at all. Should've just kept him there.

The team has an embarrassment of riches in the outfield. That's not a bad thing and will be even better when/if it helps them bring in a pitcher in July if needed. I think yesterday was just an example of rookie manager over-managing.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Meh. I know they just moved him to first and took Joseph out for defensive switches last year and they can't do that now. But I don't think he's been terrible in left thus far. Feel like he's been better than I anticipated and the position change obviously has not hurt him at the plate at all. Should've just kept him there.

The team has an embarrassment of riches in the outfield. That's not a bad thing and will be even better when/if it helps them bring in a pitcher in July if needed. I think yesterday was just an example of rookie manager over-managing.

Isnt that why they should put your boy @ 1B?  To let the OF play out?
    And then you have the stud in waiting for SS/2B/3B, wherever he fits best.
    Pitching, pitching, pitching.
    Looks like you guys have a great position relative to hitting with all of these young bats.
    I do think Santana is a professional hitter - perhaps they want him as a teacher?
    edited March 2018

Be that as it may, the manager took the best hitting prospect on the team out of the game for defensive reasons, because his natural position is blocked by someone who won't be around when the Phils win.  One game yes, but it's just pointless to block him from his natural position. Stick him at first and let him mash. Boom.

I like Santana too.  I said I think there's a decent chance if he's healthy in the playoffs last year, they beat the Yanks.  I just don't think he's important enough at this point in where the Phillies are to warrant a position change.  If they were one piece from winning, sure, maybe.

I loathe Gabe Kapler but I liked the hire in general.  Yesterday seemed to be really bad and obviously a horrible start, but give him time.  Lotta people in the game like him.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

Be that as it may, the manager took the best hitting prospect on the team out of the game for defensive reasons, because his natural position is blocked by someone who won't be around when the Phils win.  One game yes, but it's just pointless to block him from his natural position. Stick him at first and let him mash. Boom.

I like Santana too.  I said I think there's a decent chance if he's healthy in the playoffs last year, they beat the Yanks.  I just don't think he's important enough at this point in where the Phillies are to warrant a position change.  If they were one piece from winning, sure, maybe.

I loathe Gabe Kapler but I liked the hire in general.  Yesterday seemed to be really bad and obviously a horrible start, but give him time.  Lotta people in the game like him.

Obviously the crux of our disagreement is when we think the Phils might be able to win. No sense in getting into all that again.

But if he's not hurting you in left, and he's still mashing at the plate, which he is,---just leave him the hell in there.

chinese-happy.jpg

Obviously the crux of our disagreement is when we think the Phils might be able to win. No sense in getting into all that again.

But if he's not hurting you in left, and he's still mashing at the plate, which he is,---just leave him the hell in there.

Winning and potentially competing for a wild card are two different things.  I like the future, I have said that numerous times, so I'm not hating.

He is hurting you in left when the manager takes him out for defensive reasons.

Winning and potentially competing for a wild card are two different things.  I like the future, I have said that numerous times, so I'm not hating.

Unless the manager is a cross training number cruncher?

Unless the manager is a cross training number cruncher?
    hahah, well yeah, though they did move him to 1st in games last year.

Philly gonna turn on Gabe Kapler in a huuuurry.  Can't have those pictures out there and make stupid decisions in this city.

You and I disagree on the timeline, not the definition of winning. I think they can compete for a wildcard this year and potentially compete for the division as early as next year if the right things fall into place. Santana's here for 3 years, so....yeah he could be here when they win again.

And I disagree with the manager's move....so I don't agree with that premise.

chinese-happy.jpg
    Odubel just bounced one into the camera well first base side....off the face of a blonde lady.  Why don't people pay attention?  Damn.
    The orange muscle clown is not off to a good start managing.   Hope he gets time.