Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pm-warns-senators-on-cannabis-bill/ar-BBKzBd2?ocid=spartanntp

I think Trudeau needs a refresher on the functioning of Canada's government.  The Senate was never supposed to function as a rubber stamp, as he seems to think it should be.  Tyranny with a smile is tyranny all the same.
    Huh? He just said something that is actually true. That isn't tyranny, lol. This actually is how Canada's government works. The PM says something because he thinks it. The senate hears that, then does its job. Boy oh boy, the exaggerations that get applied by people what talking politics is stunning sometimes. Perhaps you're just reacting to the media though - they do the same damn thing.

Ok, I'll admit to some hyperbole in accusing him of tyranny, but he's showing (yet again, think about his comments in the wake of the Stanley acquittal) that he's unaware of how our government is supposed to function.  The Senate is the supposed "chamber of sober second thought", which is one of the few checks and balances our system has.  If he hadn't made a big show of disbanding the Liberal caucus in the Senate and was addressing them specifically I wouldn't have anything to say.  However, he's saying essentially "because my party was elected, you need to follow me". If the Senate is, in fact, just a rubber stamp, then let's just abolish it!

And before you accuse me of being partisan on this, I'd take issue with the Conservatives issuing a similar directive.
    I am glad you know it was hyperbole, haha. ;)  But I still can't really agree with your view on this. Whatever his flaws may be, not knowing how government works really isn't one of them. He knows what the Senate is for and what it does. I guess we're just looking at him saying what he said from different perspectives... I think they are two perspectives that are often discussed on this very forum: The difference between someone just stating their thoughts or opinions vs someone telling other people what to do by stating their thoughts or opinions. I do not feel like he was doing the latter, while you seem to. In any case, I don't think that what Trudeau said today has any effect on the what the Senate does one way or the other. And I don't think that him hoping that they will hear what he had to say and have it effect them is wrong. I think that is perfectly fine, specifically because I do not see him saying that as him telling them what to do.
    I also don't think the Senate is just a rubber stamp btw, but do understand why sometimes people think it seems that way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • The Canadian people spoke with regards to the legalization of pot. It's not the senate's job to stall or stymie progress.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited March 2018
    The Senate would be nuts to stall it at this point. I'll be 100% astounded if that's how it plays out. It never even really occurred to me that they'd be that idiotic and actually choose to screw up the provincial-level legislative work that's been happening on it and go against the clear will of the people and common sense ... Didn't occur to me they'd be that dumb until the fucking media fed us the concern in scary terms, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Fair point on “intelligent”. I’ll be sure to proofread my posts going forward. A disadvantage of using an IPhone to post.

It seems BC’s indigenous community doesn’t like Trudeau’s oil tanker ban.  This is truly amazing. All the pandering and photo ops of Trudeau protecting the indigenous community from nasty oil was completely unfounded political rhetoric.  

http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/an-unjustified-infringement-first-nation-sues-ottawa-british-columbia-over-oil-tanker-ban
    That is why I said the Kinder Morgan pipeline plan is so fucking stupid. There are communities in the North who would welcome it - where it would actually matter to people. But instead they approved one that goes to an area that can't take added pressure and that's densely populated and where Aboriginals are strongly against it. It's one of the dumbest moves the Feds have ever made in BC.... Pretty fucking stupid-ass proposal on Kinder Morgan's part too. And Kinder Morgan actually initially proposed something even worse and more disruptive to people.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Fair point on “intelligent”. I’ll be sure to proofread my posts going forward. A disadvantage of using an IPhone to post.

It seems BC’s indigenous community doesn’t like Trudeau’s oil tanker ban.  This is truly amazing. All the pandering and photo ops of Trudeau protecting the indigenous community from nasty oil was completely unfounded political rhetoric.  

http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/an-unjustified-infringement-first-nation-sues-ottawa-british-columbia-over-oil-tanker-ban
    It isn’t a matter of “BC’s indigenous community” not liking the tanker ban. It’s a matter of these First Nations not liking it. There are hundreds of bands and there is essentially no agreement between them as to what projects, industries or development are acceptable, nor should be expect there to be. An easy example - many First Nations are vehemently anti-fish farming, while some First Nations welcome it and at least one owns and runs its own salmon farm, and many run shellfish farms. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited March 2018

It isn’t a matter of “BC’s indigenous community” not liking the tanker ban. It’s a matter of these First Nations not liking it. There are hundreds of bands and there is essentially no agreement between them as to what projects, industries or development are acceptable, nor should be expect there to be. An easy example - many First Nations are vehemently anti-fish farming, while some First Nations welcome it and at least one owns and runs its own salmon farm, and many run shellfish farms. 
    Absolutely true... I do get the impression that some thing Aboriginals or First Nations are just one big group who all think the same and do business the same.
    But that said, there really ARE places where there is full agreement, and nobody cared, apparently. They targeted an area where there is zero agreement instead. And why did they do this? Well duh, because Kinder Morgan wanted it. :money:

Trudeau government avoids defeat on key pot bill vote

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-cannabis-bill-senate-vote-1.4588560?cid=

"The Liberal government avoided a disastrous result for its marquee marijuana bill Thursday, as the bill to legalize recreational marijuana passed a key legislative stage in the Senate..........."

Seriously, I am getting really frustrated with how the media is framing this! The vote was fucking 44 - 29. Not even close. But the media outlets could resist making people nervous for no fucking reason.

The concern over the legalization of cannabis comes down to this.
    no one is arguing it should be legalized.  However in an attempt to get re-elected Trudeau is pushing through his agenda.  No one in his government is listening to the concerns of the RCMP and businesses regarding worker health and safety.

These two entities have found two senators willing to listen.  The new testing procedure to determine if a worker or a driver is under the influence of cannabis is through a saliva swab.  The saliva swab test coming back positive confirms the driver/worker has used cannabis in the past 0-8 hours, thus putting them “under the influence”.

The problem is, industry does not have testing facilities to process these results yet and in Canada we have 65,000 police officers who have yet to be trained to perform a roadside saliva test.  

Once again, the Liberal government is trying to ramrod legislation to do nothing more than recieve votes.  He is (rightfully so) worried about losing the next election due to his diminishing approval ratings.

Now First Nations are turning on him for his stance on pipelines. Politically it could not get any worse.

You May feel the Senate should not be trying to stand in the way of legalization, but I believe they are right to delay it until all branches of government and industry is ready.    
    edited March 2018
    I think he's doing it just right. Push it the fuck through and get it going instead of letting it get bogged down by endless red tape and foot dragging. Perfect. I don't even care what Trudeau's motivation is. I just care about results. And IMO, ramming it through and getting it going ASAP is the best way to do it in the long run for sure. Once money starts flowing, the industry and the law will catch up toute suite. If done the other way around, so much time and money would be wasted, and it would further highlight everything that's wrong with government and government agencies, taking fucking FOREVER to move on fucking anything. This time the actual industry is going to be given a chance to drive the change instead of the other way around. It'll work out fine, kinks will get worked out, all good. I'm really happy about how this is happening. BTW, this WAS an election promise dude, including the speed at which it's happening. People voted for the fast track. If they did what you're saying, they'd be breaking an election promise, and you'd complain about that.
    “well duh”? 

LMAO.  This has been fun. One criticizes my English and the other uses these kinds of terms and drops f-bombs consistently.... it’s almost impossible to read.

You keep in believing what you are doing is “right” and you are “saving the world” from these awful “oil companies”

Ill come back the next time I need PJ GA seats (2019 because I have four sets for this year already) somewhere in the world and I can afford to go because of the benefits I get from living in a world with OIL. 

Keep saving the world!!! All that 1.63% of the damage we do to it. Maybe get it down to like 1.53%.  Help you sleep at night.

I’ll idle my truck in the Okanagan over Easter for a few hours just to help the Alberta economy (because B.C. gets no benefit from my tourism dollars lol) 

Such entertainment.... 
    edited March 2018
    “well duh”? 

LMAO.  This has been fun. One criticizes my English and the other uses these kinds of terms and drops f-bombs consistently.... it’s almost impossible to read.

You keep in believing what you are doing is “right” and you are “saving the world” from these awful “oil companies”

Ill come back the next time I need PJ GA seats (2019 because I have four sets for this year already) somewhere in the world and I can afford to go because of the benefits I get from living in a world with OIL. 

Keep saving the world!!! All that 1.63% of the damage we do to it. Maybe get it down to like 1.53%.  Help you sleep at night.

I’ll idle my truck in the Okanagan over Easter for a few hours just to help the Alberta economy (because B.C. gets no benefit from my tourism dollars lol) 

Such entertainment.... 
    :lol: Oh boy.
    Fuckin' great, see ya in fucking 2019!
    Maybe by then you can learn how to actually retain what people really say. Right now you just kind of invent shit in your head.
  • “well duh”? 

Such entertainment.... 
    Come on.

It's not as if you are 'above' taking a few shots yourself.

And you basically expressed your point of view here which is fair: you want that pipeline exactly as advertised because you stand to personally benefit.

I can accept your eagerness for such an endeavour with that being the motivation; however, don't resort to ultimately calling all opposed 'morons' because they don't put aside their informed positions and support you and the initiative.

As much as you try to insist it isn't so... British Columbians simply don't have much to gain and put much at risk. 

And for the record, I'm no tree hugger. I recognize the significance of oil, but we're not starving for it at the moment. It is a finite resource and 'your' window of opportunity to personally capitalize on it is at the moment, but sorry... that's still not enough.

* No idling at the Shuswap okay?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Canadian people spoke with regards to the legalization of pot. It's not the senate's job to stall or stymie progress.
    For the Canadian people to have spoken it would need to be put to a binding referendum...

and we we all know Canadian politicians don’t give a shit what we have to say.  That’s why it’s so easy for our politicians to lie and break promises..
    Give Peas A Chance…
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pm-warns-senators-on-cannabis-bill/ar-BBKzBd2?ocid=spartanntp

I think Trudeau needs a refresher on the functioning of Canada's government.  The Senate was never supposed to function as a rubber stamp, as he seems to think it should be.  Tyranny with a smile is tyranny all the same.
    You remember when Trudeau said “he admired the Chinese dictatorship”.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • The Canadian people spoke with regards to the legalization of pot. It's not the senate's job to stall or stymie progress.
    For the Canadian people to have spoken it would need to be put to a binding referendum...

and we we all know Canadian politicians don’t give a shit what we have to say.  That’s why it’s so easy for our politicians to lie and break promises..

Let's get serious: the large majority of Canadians wanted dope to be legalized. Many of Trudeau's votes came on that aspect of his campaign. At least for this... he followed through.

I speak to this issue as a non user.

There are things about the guy that are irritating me somewhat, but this was a big win (as much as you are going to try and dismiss it given your lack of objectivity towards him).
    edited March 2018

You remember when Trudeau said “he admired the Chinese dictatorship”.
    Alright, you keep pulling this little comment from 2013 out of your hat, so let's just clarify what was actually said, shall we? Well before he was PM, and even before he won the Liberal leadership, he was asked spur of the moment at some kind of meet and greet what country's administration, besides Canada's, that he admired. He answered that he had some level of admiration for China's because their government appeared to be able to turn around their economy very quickly while acknowledging the fact that they have to go green as fast as possible. He used this comment as a segue into how he thought Canada has to start focusing more on green energies like solar. He did NOT say or mean to say that he admires a dictatorship as a form of government at all.
    We can agree on this then...I don’t like Trudeau, anymore than I liked Harper...

Over the years since he’s left office I’ve developed a liking for Chretien...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    We can agree on this then...I don’t like Trudeau, anymore than I liked Harper...

I've always really liked Chretien.
    PJ_Soul said:

I've always really liked Chretien.
    We agree again...we are finding common ground.

what was your appreciation of him?

I likeed how the budget was balanced, the overall debt was shrinking, and Canada had a huge surplus only to see harper fuck it all up...and harper is supposedly a economist...apparently an economist who can’t add...lol.  Chretien a good person in my book, and one of the few politicians I like...

just so you know, I like Trudeau as a person.  I just think adding to our debt will only lead to reduced services for our future generations...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • A worm dies in a blaze of glory shootout with cops. He had murdered a young woman and was fleeing authorities like a rat typically does. The only unfortunate thing is that a cop was hurt in the process of playing the worm's game.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/calgary-murder-suspect-dead-officer-hurt-after-shootout-west-of-edmonton-sources-say/ar-AAvgT4G?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp
    Does Columbia have the same regulatory standards as Canada?  or environmental standards?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Does Columbia have the same regulatory standards as Canada?  or environmental standards?
    You tell me. I'll guess and say "yes".

Regardless of any safety standard in place, an 'accident' may occur.

The problem with 'accidents' is what was illustrated in Columbia (or any other spill anywhere else for that matter)- devastation. 
    well if you say columbia has top notch standards then who am i to argue...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • well if you say columbia has top notch standards then who am i to argue...
    I guessed. You asked the question. If you wish to find out then go ahead and find out.

As I said... I couldn't care. The highest of standards don't prevent 'accidents' from happening. And when accidents occur in the oil transportation side of the equation... it's the shits.
    Then why are you arguing...

personally i I would rather deal with a spill as opposed to an explosion that can happen from rail cars and semi’s...plus I trust the engineers far more than I’ll ever trust an overworked, underpaid semi drive or train engineer...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Then why are you arguing...

personally i I would rather deal with a spill as opposed to an explosion that can happen from rail cars and semi’s...plus I trust the engineers far more than I’ll ever trust an overworked, underpaid semi drive or train engineer...

What am I arguing? I'm not arguing anything. That comment makes no sense.

And neither does your personal opinion on what might be a better or worse situation because a pipeline breach is far more catastrophic than a tanker truck accident. It's not even remotely close.