Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Once again, we aren’t “holding a gun to anyone’s head”.  

This is is a federal jurisdiction. The federal government has approved the pipeline.
    You stated it would be good for “you” like people in BC aren’t in the same country! It’s laughable.  The economic and environmental benefits are for everyone.  

Your argument is moot. If you aren’t against pipelines why are you “getting your back up”.  This is a sweet deal for CANADA, which last time I checked included BC.  

Nothing in your post refutes a single point I’ve made. It’s just an emotional reaction.  With all do respect, my problem isn’t with British Columbians, it’s with your government and our federal government (as this thread is about politics I will take the high road and not make it personal as you have) :) 

I'm getting my back up for exactly what I stated: Albertans are being babies because we are refusing to bend over the pommel horse with a cue ball stuffed up our mouth- serving us a shit sandwich and expecting us to enjoy it.

You're giving yourself too much credit: you haven't made very good points outside of indirectly stating that there is a lot of money to be made for Albertans pumping your oil through BC so you can send it to Asian countries... with a few kickbacks to CANADA (I can yell too). I won't get to everything because everything isn't worth getting to... but did you realize that less than 2% of British Columbians work in the oil and gas sector? Were you making comments about 'ethical oil' and 'environmental benefits' (lol)?

You haven't been listening very well: increased oil tanker traffic off the coast of Vancouver isn't fantastic for many people that live on the coast (or marine life for that matter). I don't live on the coast so I'm not speaking to self preservation. I live in Kamloops. Check your pipeline map and see where that city resides in relationship to the project (and existing one). 

I'd be for the pipeline, but with a much... much... better deal for British Columbians. I have read many reports where BC would garner a few full time jobs (about 50), lose many more full time jobs attached to the coastline, and would expect to receive less than 3% of the total revenue. 

Exactly why are you thinking we should be thrilled? 
    Once again... an untilleigent post with very little fact behind it except name calling and divisive rhetoric.

You don’t understand how royalties, taxes, transfer payments of resources within provinces work and how those benefit British Columbia. You want a “sweet deal” which is just ridiculous.

does Alberta ask you for a dime for all the lumber that travels through the province to points east? Should we put a toll booth at the border for each load of plywood headed to Saskatchewan? 

A pipeline is just a conduit to sell oil. Sure it’s good for Alberta, how you can’t for the life of you see how it is good for the entire country is beyond me lol 

Lol. Okay... I'm going to keep it brief and somewhat decent lest you jump to making quips about 'poking my wife' like you have in the past.

First... when you wish to call someone unintelligent... you shouldn't do so typing 'untilleigent' (see bolded section of your response) to describe their post. Such a blunder doesn't exactly make you look like a genius when you're trying so hard to come across as one.

Second... after I detailed how little BC truly stood to gain from the project other than assuming a whopping 40 full time jobs, losing many more than 40 jobs on the coast, inheriting risk, experiencing heightened oil activity off its coast (saying nothing of the impact on the environment which has many people concerned)... and then asked why someone would think BC residents should be thrilled with the project... was this your response (copied and pasted from your post): Sure it’s good for Alberta, how you can’t for the life of you see how it is good for the entire country is beyond me lol ? 

Because if so... the 'how you can't for the life of you see how it is good...' got me! I'm feeling this. I'm in!

Have a nice day.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    The main problem with the pipeline project is that it's the dumbest fucking plan of all time. I am NOT totally against pipelines in general, like 1ThoughtKnown likes to assume just because I'm against this pipeline or other specific ones (i.e. Standing Rock). I am against this pipeline because what in the holy fuck are they thinking, ending it in a densely populated area like this???? It makes no fucking sense. Nobody wants it, it's totally disruptive, and dangerous to a huge number of people, and where the ecosystem cannot take any more pressure like this due to the fact that is indeed a densely populated region already nearly choked with tankers? Why in the world didn't they find a better plan that would face almost no opposition? Put it through further north were most of the population would actually welcome it, including most Aboriginals from what I can tell, where there will be more strongly felt economic benefits for British Columbians, and where the environmental pressures are not as severe already? Or how about ending it at a fucking refinery? God knows we need one in BC, judging by the fact that gas is currently $1.53/litre in metro Vancouver today.
    And yes, the environmental impact study was NOT properly done in any case.
    1ThoughtKnown, your opinion about this whole thing is hugely biased and lopsided.
    I do think that we don't need any more pipelines in general because I believe that the currents ones should be enough to serve the bigger purpose of trying to REDUCE oil dependency NOW. However, I'm a smart person who knows that oil always wins, so I am not a huge anti-oil warrior just because I firmly believe that there is no point to that right now.
    So yeah 1ThoughtKnown, people against this pipeline are not just a bunch of emotional morons. We have good reasons to oppose this moronic pipeline.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I thought Trudeau the environmental was going to save everyone from pipelines ... Trudeau your pm and his government approved this pipeline, now I think all those who voted for Trudeau need to get behind their leader and encourage him to get this PIPELINE BUILT!  As for those of us who didn’t see the wisdom of voting for Trudeau we can pick whatever side we want...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    I thought Trudeau the environmental was going to save everyone from pipelines ... Trudeau your pm and his government approved this pipeline, now I think all those who voted for Trudeau need to get behind their leader and encourage him to get this PIPELINE BUILT!  As for those of us who didn’t see the wisdom of voting for Trudeau we can pick whatever side we want...
    He's your PM too buddy.
    I didn't vote for Trudeau because of his ideas about pipelines. I KNEW that he would end up approving this one. Anyone who didn't see that coming is an idiot, and frankly, Trudeau never really made it seem that way, contrary to what those who don't like him say. I voted for Trudeau for 4 very specific reasons: Legalization (check), doctor assisted suicide (check, although so far it's still too wimpy, but in the courts), immediate help for thousands of refugees (check), and just to get Harper the fuck out of office finally (check!!!). I voted for him despite the fact that I knew he would approve this pipeline... I also voted for John Horgan because I knew he would oppose it. That is also why I voted for my mayor, who strongly opposes it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    He's your PM too buddy.
    I didn't vote for Trudeau because of his ideas about pipelines. I KNEW that he would end up approving this one. Anyone who didn't see that coming is an idiot. I voted for Trudeau for 4 very specific reasons: Legalization (check), doctor assisted suicide (check, although so far it's still too wimpy, but in the courts), immediate help for thousands of refugees (check), and just to get Harper the fuck out of office finally (check!!!). I voted for him despite the fact that I knew he would approve this pipeline... I also voted for John Horgan because I knew he would oppose it. That is also why I voted for my mayor, who also strongly opposes it.
    Sensitive much...that embarrassment ain’t my prime minister.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I sense a of people don’t like differing opinions...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    He's your PM too buddy.
    I didn't vote for Trudeau because of his ideas about pipelines. I KNEW that he would end up approving this one. Anyone who didn't see that coming is an idiot. I voted for Trudeau for 4 very specific reasons: Legalization (check), doctor assisted suicide (check, although so far it's still too wimpy, but in the courts), immediate help for thousands of refugees (check), and just to get Harper the fuck out of office finally (check!!!). I voted for him despite the fact that I knew he would approve this pipeline... I also voted for John Horgan because I knew he would oppose it. That is also why I voted for my mayor, who also strongly opposes it.
    Pardon? What in the world did I say that made you think I was being sensitive?? But yeah, he is your PM. It really doesn't matter if you don't like it, lol. As for him being an embarrassment... that's ridiculous. This line baffles me completely. One needn't like him as their PM, but the crazy exaggerations like that are just plain silly and nobody takes that kind of talk seriously because there is no basis for it.
    edited March 2018
    Huh? What are you talking about?
  • PJ_Soul said:
    He's your PM too buddy.

Actually... he is.

As much as he is beginning to erode in my eyes somewhat (with the jury still out I might add), this country needed him more than it needed that Gumby, Harper, who failed miserably with regards to progressing the country socially or economically.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Some people disagree with you. So what? You’re on a discussion board. You seem to be the one who has the most difficulty with this. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Justin Trudeau is less popular than Stephen Harper was at this point in his tenure as PM

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/justin-trudeau-is-less-popular-than-stephen-harper-was-at-this-point-in-his-tenure-as-prime-minister

I can not understand why ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Does this give you confidence in the Department of Citizenship and Immigration's 'thorough vetting process'?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/man-convicted-in-jassi-sidhus-honour-killing-obtained-permanent-residency-in-canada/ar-BBKupPn?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp
    Does this give you confidence in the Department of Citizenship and Immigration's 'thorough vetting process'?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/man-convicted-in-jassi-sidhus-honour-killing-obtained-permanent-residency-in-canada/ar-BBKupPn?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp
    I have very little faith in government period.  So why is this a surprise?  Do you think it was a mistake?  This federal government apparently thinks you can rehabilitate ISIS fighters returning.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    Immigration Canada has some major problems, and not just when it comes to security issues (and FWIW for the liberal haters, the Conservatives did literally nothing to fix any of those problems either, even in terms of the security issue. Many of these "problem" immigrants/residents came in during the Harper years).
    Not a harper fan, well not a fan of any politician...but what does harper got to do with anything today...Trudeau has had plenty of time to correct or reverse harper policies, well, that’s if and when he shows up for work or isn’t on a tax payer funded vacation...of course harper was wrong about Trudeau not being ready yet, he’ll never ready...lol

oh boy, I hope ford wins in Ontario more than ever...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    Not a harper fan, well not a fan of any politician...but what does harper got to do with anything today...Trudeau has had plenty of time to correct or reverse harper policies, well, that’s if and when he shows up for work or isn’t on a tax payer funded vacation...of course harper was wrong about Trudeau not being ready yet, he’ll never ready...lol

Nothing. I was saying that for the sake of the ninnies who might come in and try to blame it all on Trudeau and act like it's all the "liberals'" faults (party and non-party definition). That isn't the case at all, but that is the way most of these kinds of conversations go... you know, a bunch of divisive partisan bullshit..... Kinda like that stupid line you just brought up about Trudeau not being ready. What a load of crap. Trudeau was more qualified to be in office than Harper was when he was elected, so I have no clue where Harper got off taking that tack. Ridiculous.
    PJ_Soul said:

Nothing. I was saying that for the sake of the ninnies who might come in and try to blame it all on Trudeau and act like it's all the "liberals'" faults (party and non-party definition). That isn't the case at all, but that is the way most of these kinds of conversations go... you know, a bunch of divisive partisan bullshit..... Kinda like that stupid line you just brought up about Trudeau not being ready. What a load of crap. Trudeau was more qualified to be in office than Harper was when he was elected, so I have no clue where Harper got off taking that tack. Ridiculous.
    You can agree to disagree in a conversation...I’m pretty sure that not against the rules around here.

Trudeau is a spineless cowered...

this is is your pm.

i admire the Chinese dictatorship.

your asking for more we can give..

i personally think all politicians suck...mainly because they are all leaches...

anyways we will need to agree to disagree on this current topic...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

You can agree to disagree in a conversation...I’m pretty sure that not against the rules around here.

this is is your pm.

i personally think all politicians suck...mainly because they are all leaches...

I have no idea why you felt the need to say that first line. I have absolutely no problem with us disagreeing. So maybe just remember that and stop acting like I am disturbed by a disagreement, lol. I'm fine with it. Right back at ya... I think you're the one with the problem as far as that goes. I'm perfectly comfortable and am just saying what I want to say.

Lol. You just completely destroyed any respect I might have for your viewpoint about Trudeau with all that crap. That is just anti-liberal garbage you just spewed. Pointless exaggeration with no factual basis at all. If I said the same shit about Harper, I'd be just as guilt of the same thing, and I really, really hated Harper. But I still always tried to stay honest with my negative opinions about him. The over-the-top language you're using doesn't help your cause in any way man.

I'm asking for more than we can give? I'm not sure what you are talking about there, sorry. I didn't ask for anything. :confused:

I also think just about all politicians are scum... Some scummier than others. But I like to discuss politics always assuming that everything we're talking about is on a relative scale.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

this is is your pm.

I have no idea why you felt the need to say that first line. I have absolutely no problem with us disagreeing. So maybe just remember that and stop acting like I am disturbed by a disagreement, lol. I'm fine with it. Right back at ya... I think you're the one with the problem as far as that goes. I'm perfectly comfortable and am just saying what I want to say.

Lol. You just completely destroyed any respect I might have for your viewpoint about Trudeau with all that crap. That is just anti-liberal garbage you just spewed. Pointless exaggeration with no factual basis at all. If I said the same shit about Harper, I'd be just as guilt of the same thing, and I really, really hated Harper. But I still always tried to stay honest with my negative opinions about him. The over-the-top language you're using doesn't help your cause in any way man.

I'm asking for more than we can give? I'm not sure what you are talking about there, sorry. I didn't ask for anything. :confused:

I also think just about all politicians are scum... Some scummier than others. But I like to discuss politics always assuming that everything we're talking about is on a relative scale.
    Well for one you bring up Harper with me...I will make this perfectly clear, I HAVE NO USE FOR POLITICIANS.  Honestly I could careva less if you respect me or not because of my opinion of Trudeau.

when will he be Me. PM

no MR. Dressup.

of course apparently, mother, father, mr, miss, mrs...are now inappropriate...

lol.  Have a nice day.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    He did make those 2 statements...that’s fact...that’s your Pm.  Truth hurts.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    He did make those 2 statements...that’s fact...that’s your Pm.  Truth hurts.
    That's your PM too. And no, nothing hurts, and wouldn't even if I knew what you were talking about, lol .... Sorry, are you under the impression that I'm some kind of Trudeau fangirl or what? I just realized that you failed to use quotation marks and that is why I had no clue what you were talking about. Yeah, I'm aware of all the things Trudeau has said, the good and the bad and the silly not worth thinking about, and how some of those things were spun by those who loathe him excessively for some pretty warped, not-always-true reasons. Me, I'm actually quite neutral when it comes to my feelings about him. I like some things he's done, and don't like other things he's done, and I'm indifferent to some other stuff. So I feel I have a relatively objective view of him. I am able to actually keep the things he says and does in context, which you clearly fail to do. You have obviously gone a bit over the edge here, running away with crazy talk about PCism and shit that is meaningless. I'm just saying this so maybe you think about it... You've kind of veered into bullshit territory here man. You're just kinda running with a lot of shit we normally see in those anti-"leader I hate" memes on facebook, lol.

But I can assure you, like it or not, you DO have a use for politicians.

Government's cannabis bill faces live-or-die vote in Senate today

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-cannabis-bill-live-die-vote-1.4586113?cmp=FB_Post_News

uh oh...does hopes of legalization go up in smoke today...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Government's cannabis bill faces live-or-die vote in Senate today

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-cannabis-bill-live-die-vote-1.4586113?cmp=FB_Post_News

Someone explain to me this: Most Independent and Liberal senators generally support the bill, and together they hold 54 of the chamber's 93 occupied seats. But that doesn't guarantee that all of those members will vote together as a block or be present when the vote is recorded.

What do you mean 'be present when the vote is recorded'? Senators can pick and choose their levels of commitment? Do I have this straight? 

Legalization is a no-brainer. I understand the language of the bill might need some revision, but what is the opposition's expectation?
    Seems like a little bit of sensationalized/scare mongering reporting to me, TBH.

Government's cannabis bill faces live-or-die vote in Senate today

Someone explain to me this: Most Independent and Liberal senators generally support the bill, and together they hold 54 of the chamber's 93 occupied seats. But that doesn't guarantee that all of those members will vote together as a block or be present when the vote is recorded.

What do you mean 'be present when the vote is recorded'? Senators can pick and choose their levels of commitment? Do I have this straight? 

Legalization is a no-brainer. I understand the language of the bill might need some revision, but what is the opposition's expectation?
    Most people with common sense realize the senate is useless ... 

I also understand that their are 2 committees totalling 20 senators that are unavailable to vote ... which is why max attendance of the remaining senators that support legalization is crucial ...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pm-warns-senators-on-cannabis-bill/ar-BBKzBd2?ocid=spartanntp

I think Trudeau needs a refresher on the functioning of Canada's government.  The Senate was never supposed to function as a rubber stamp, as he seems to think it should be.  Tyranny with a smile is tyranny all the same.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pm-warns-senators-on-cannabis-bill/ar-BBKzBd2?ocid=spartanntp

I think Trudeau needs a refresher on the functioning of Canada's government.  The Senate was never supposed to function as a rubber stamp, as he seems to think it should be.  Tyranny with a smile is tyranny all the same.
    Huh? He just said something that is actually true. That isn't tyranny, lol. This actually is how Canada's government works. The PM says something. The senate does its job. Boy oh boy, the exaggerations that get applied by people what talking politics is stunning sometimes.
    edited March 2018

Huh? He just said something that is actually true. That isn't tyranny, lol. This actually is how Canada's government works. The PM says something because he thinks it. The senate hears that, then does its job. Boy oh boy, the exaggerations that get applied by people what talking politics is stunning sometimes. Perhaps you're just reacting to the media though - they do the same damn thing.
    edited March 2018
    Double post
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    PJ_Soul said:

Huh? He just said something that is actually true. That isn't tyranny, lol. This actually is how Canada's government works. The PM says something because he thinks it. The senate hears that, then does its job. Boy oh boy, the exaggerations that get applied by people what talking politics is stunning sometimes. Perhaps you're just reacting to the media though - they do the same damn thing.

Ok, I'll admit to some hyperbole in accusing him of tyranny, but he's showing (yet again, think about his comments in the wake of the Stanley acquittal) that he's unaware of how our government is supposed to function.  The Senate is the supposed "chamber of sober second thought", which is one of the few checks and balances our system has.  If he hadn't made a big show of disbanding the Liberal caucus in the Senate and was addressing them specifically I wouldn't have anything to say.  However, he's saying essentially "because my party was elected, you need to follow me". If the Senate is, in fact, just a rubber stamp, then let's just abolish it!

And before you accuse me of being partisan on this, I'd take issue with the Conservatives issuing a similar directive.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022