Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    my2hands said:
    And we are ok with locking up someone strictly for their beliefs?

Yeah, not me. 
    You'll have to take that up with Germany.   I was more curious as to why these political don't vet their candidates better.  I am not OK with locking people up for their beliefs...
    “Beliefs” are only just beliefs if you’re not acting on them.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Yeah, not me. 
    Depends what those beliefs are.

If those beliefs are to commit mass murder at soft targets in the name of some hokey pokey religion... then yes. For sure.

I take it you'd prefer them to be able to play their hand first? Then lock them up?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    Common sense prevails!

One idiot. One stupid idiot in opposition. Lol. What an idiot.

Give her another drink...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,521
    edited October 2018
    my2hands said:
    Locked up for her beliefs? 

God Bless America lol
    She wasn't in America.... But there are (crappy, ill-defined) laws against incitement of hate in America too. Are you defending hate speech? Because what she was doing was hate speech under German law.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

God Bless America lol
    She wasn't in America.... But there are (crappy, ill-defined) laws against incitement of hate in America too. Are you defending hate speech? Because what she was doing was hate speech under German law.
    I'm not defending hate speech, but I'm definitely defending the right to hate speech

There are laws in the US against inciting violence,  but that is not what is considered hate speech, and that is not what this woman did

You have a right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb to actually try it......

No way in hell that woman should be in prison... AMT folks are now fans of the thought police? Interesting development :)
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Yeah, not me. 
    Depends what those beliefs are.

If those beliefs are to commit mass murder at soft targets in the name of some hokey pokey religion... then yes. For sure.

I take it you'd prefer them to be able to play their hand first? Then lock them up?
    threatening violence is a crime,  and is different than hate speech... and this woman did neither

You can walk around saying you hate me all day... you cant say you're going to kill me... big difference
  • Options
    Chatham-born man shares family's Syrian ordeal

https://www.chathamdailynews.ca/news/local-news/chatham-born-man-shares-familys-syrian-ordeal

Hopefully, the Kurds do the world a favour and delete this scum from the planet...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

God Bless America lol
    I'm not defending hate speech, but I'm definitely defending the right to hate speech

There are laws in the US against inciting violence,  but that is not what is considered hate speech, and that is not what this woman did

You have a right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb to actually try it......

No way in hell that woman should be in prison... AMT folks are now fans of the thought police? Interesting development :)
    depends on the language of the laws in germany and what she actually said in those videos. the link that was posted didn't give much detail. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

God Bless America lol

WTF? I'm sure you know that's not the case.

I support German laws about this, that's all, because they are in a very unique position when it comes to this kind of thing. I feel that those who refuse to acknowledge that are refusing to admit that they really don't understand how the holocaust affected that nation on a psychological level.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I could care a less how WW2 traumatized the German people.  I do care how WW2 traumatized the Jewish people, and all other minority groups targeted by the Nazi's.  I do care how WW2 left so many Mothers, Father's, Sisters, Brothers, Husbands and Wives, Relatives and friends grieving all because of 1 country.  I seriously doubt Germany has fully repaid their war reparations, not that money brings back the deaths caused by this disastrous nation.   Never understood why Israel wasn't placed in 1/2 of Germany that the Allies controlled ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I could care a less how WW2 traumatized the German people.  I do care how WW2 traumatized the Jewish people, and all other minority groups targeted by the Nazi's.  I do care how WW2 left so many Mothers, Father's, Sisters, Brothers, Husbands and Wives, Relatives and friends grieving all because of 1 country.  I seriously doubt Germany has fully repaid their war reparations, not that money brings back the deaths caused by this disastrous nation.   Never understood why Israel wasn't placed in 1/2 of Germany that the Allies controlled ...
    So care about the German Jews in this case.
    Of course I care more about them, as well as those related to all the millions of non-Jews who were killed as well. But in any case, I think it's obvious why Germany in particular would have laws like this. They have a pretty good reason to be extremely wary about growing antisemitism, to say the least, be they Jewish or not.
    How about you look up Germany's status when it comes to reparations or other things they've done in that context instead of just guessing?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    So care about the German Jews in this case.
    Of course I care more about them, as well as those related to all the millions of non-Jews who were killed as well. But in any case, I think it's obvious why Germany in particular would have laws like this. They have a pretty good reason to be extremely wary about growing antisemitism, to say the least, be they Jewish or not.
    How about you look up Germany's status when it comes to reparations or other things they've done in that context instead of just guessing?
    Germany paid off their world war ONE war reparations ($33 billion) in 2010!  Craziness. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I see the former Governor General Adrienne Clarkson has billed more than 1 million in office expenses since leaving that useless job.  Another reason to grow a spine a leave the British Commonwealth, get rid of this BS job.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Ford's government takes a big step backward in terms of labour practices, which will have a knock-on effect on the health system. They are proposing a change to legislation that takes away 2 of what appears to be only 5 guaranteed paid sick days (or maybe only 3? the article isn't clear) and require a doctor's note to take any sick days. The idea of a doctor's note to take one or two days off is completely ridiculous - all it means is that sick people have to be out in public, potentially infecting others and using up precious health care resources, instead of resting at home. Do you really want someone with a nasty but self-limiting gastroenteritis sitting next to you on the bus or in the doctor's waiting room? Do you want to be that person who has to be there, fighting nausea, or the person who just has a bad cold who absolutely doesn't need to see a doctor? Medical notes are only of value if it's a serious or long term condition. 

This is a strictly punitive measure. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/10/30/pc-labour-law-is-massive-step-backwards-for-healthcare-ontario-doctor-says_a_23576381/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Ford's government takes a big step backward in terms of labour practices, which will have a knock-on effect on the health system. They are proposing a change to legislation that takes away 2 of what appears to be only 5 guaranteed paid sick days (or maybe only 3? the article isn't clear) and require a doctor's note to take any sick days. The idea of a doctor's note to take one or two days off is completely ridiculous - all it means is that sick people have to be out in public, potentially infecting others and using up precious health care resources, instead of resting at home. Do you really want someone with a nasty but self-limiting gastroenteritis sitting next to you on the bus or in the doctor's waiting room? Do you want to be that person who has to be there, fighting nausea, or the person who just has a bad cold who absolutely doesn't need to see a doctor? Medical notes are only of value if it's a serious or long term condition. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/10/30/pc-labour-law-is-massive-step-backwards-for-healthcare-ontario-doctor-says_a_23576381/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Not to mention tying up doctors' offices with run of the mill illnesses that do no require medical attention.

Doesn't matter. Ontario deserves whatever Ford rolls out. They asked for him... they got him. They're idiots.
  • Options

Not to mention tying up doctors' offices with run of the mill illnesses that do no require medical attention.

Doesn't matter. Ontario deserves whatever Ford rolls out. They asked for him... they got him. They're idiots.
    not everyone voted for the guy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    edited October 2018

Thank you Hugh! I didn't vote for the asshole nor did about 90% of Toronto (I know T.O. is not Ontario, just pointing out the city you all love to hate did not want Ford). I don't deserve Doug Ford. It's depressing to think Ontario is full of people who identify with Doug Ford. However I believe a large portion of the voting population felt like they had no choice but to give the Wynn gov't it's walking papers. A lot of Liberal and NDP voters held their noses and voted Ford without thinking it through. Ok maybe not a lot of NDP voters. I imagine there are a lot of blue collar workers in Ontario who now regret voting in the imbecile.

Post edited by qontheboard on
  • Options

But enough did. They can own it.
  • Options

so you have zero sympathy for those that didn't? just "tough luck"?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

so you have zero sympathy for those that didn't? just "tough luck"?
    I'm speaking more in the general sense. Generally speaking... they asked for him... they can have him.
  • Options

Thank you Hugh! I didn't vote for the asshole nor did about 90% of Toronto (I know T.O. is not Ontario, just pointing out the city you all love to hate did not want Ford). I don't deserve Doug Ford. It's depressing to think Ontario is full of people who identify with Doug Ford. However I believe a large portion of the voting population felt like they had no choice but to give the Wynn gov't it's walking papers. A lot of Liberal and NDP voters held their noses and voted Ford without thinking it through. Ok maybe not a lot of NDP voters. I imagine there are a lot of blue collar workers in Ontario who now regret voting in the imbecile.

You obviously were not one of the people getting 500-600 month hydro bills, were you???  You in Toronto are the problem.  You don't give a shit about anyone but Toronto.  You are responsible for Doug Ford because you elected the most left government Ontario ever had, Wynn makes Bob Rae look like a Conservative...Doud Ford is clearly on the backs of Toronto and city voters ... looks good on you. Next time don't for an NDP disguised as a liberal...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

You obviously were not one of the people getting 500-600 month hydro bills, were you???  You in Toronto are the problem.  You don't give a shit about anyone but Toronto.  You are responsible for Doug Ford because you elected the most left government Ontario ever had, Wynn makes Bob Rae look like a Conservative...Doud Ford is clearly on the backs of Toronto and city voters ... looks good on you. Next time don't for an NDP disguised as a liberal...
    jesus christ. make it personal much?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Seriously? Not enough evidence to warrant a terrorist attack? A shithead uses the classic drive the rental van down a busy sidewalk and kill 10 people... and that's not considered terrorism? Call me daft, but if it looks like shit and smells like shit... it's probably shit.

Ultimately, it really doesn't make a difference except that if the police have not gathered any evidence to pursue terrorism charges... then that likely means the defence is crafting a motive that will likely convince the courts to treat Mr. Minassian tenderly. If I remember correctly, Mr. Minassian was in a support class for kids on the spectrum at one point in high school. They could easily start there. 

He was begging a cop to kill him immediately after the carnage was done. I wish he was obliged. Now we'll have to read goofy trial proceedings for the next six months culminating in a tissue paper soft sentence that will make the majority of us want to poke pins in our eyeballs. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/toronto-van-attack-suspect-due-in-court/ar-BBPcxT9?ocid=spartanntp
  • Options

Lol

Cute

Join the fucking club
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Lol

Cute

Join the fucking club

The inmates are running the asylum.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Lol

Cute

Join the fucking club
    I'm not following.....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2hands said:

Lol

Cute

Join the fucking club
    I'm not following.....

Not everyone voted for Trump.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Lol

Cute

Join the fucking club
    I'm not following.....

yeah, I get that part, but I mean the "lol" and "cute" part. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2hands said:

Lol

Cute

Join the fucking club
    I'm not following.....

yeah, I get that part, but I mean the "lol" and "cute" part. 
    I'm not following either I guess?