*** St. Paul II Fanviews 6/27 Here ***

Comments

• MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    none of those work...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • I was in Section 120, Row 10, Seat 5....

I could have spit on Mike if I wanted to, but of course I didn't want to. I wanted to spit on the guitar tech that screwed up his guitar during Marker In The Sand and Given To Fly. Mike was pretty pissed too. And Ed giving some love (and wine) to the front row crowd at the end. Very cool. I saw PJ some years back during the Yield tour and this was BY FAR a better show....no encore though....bummer. But I have to say...COME BACK IS NOT A PEE BREAK SONG. It is one of the best songs on the new record. Some of the Petty rednecks were a bit much, some disharmony there but nothing to get in a bind about. I had a guy in front of me, who was drunk himself, asking if Ed and the boys were drunk onstage. Ohh, well...there will always be a generation gap I guess. Long live PJ!!
  • LedLed Posts: 11
    Did anyone see the guitar that Mike first brought out for "Light Years"? It was like clear with a bunch of flashing lights. Then it started to crackle and he quickly switched before the song started. I have never seen that guitar before....anyone else?

A guitar with flashing lights? *attempting Jedi mind trick* You saw no guitar with flashing lights.

I was gonna tease a bit about Mike's new guitar and leave it at that, but yeah, there was a new guitar. It sounded like it had a bad jack in it.

Night Two Photos
    07/08/95 Milwaukee : 06/30/98 Minneapolis : 10/12/00 Kansas City : 04/22/03 St. Louis : 06/12/03 under water : 06/13/03 Council Bluffs : 06/15/03 Fargo : 06/16/03 St. Paul : 09/08/05 Winnipeg : 06/26/06 St. Paul : 06/27/06 St. Paul : 07/02/06 Denver : 07/03/06 Denver
  • Last night was one for the books on so many levels. I was fortunate enough to be included to go to see Pearl Jam open for Tom Petty at the X-Cel Energy Center with a couple of good buddies from work. One of them purchased the tickets, but was hard pressed to find fellow fans of Pearl Jam due to the fact that most of his friends are hip-hop fans and performers. So he asked me and another guy to go and we made it an event.

We ventured to downtown Saint Paul and parked. We made our way through the crowds in all sizes, shapes, and colors and ended up at the famous and historic, Mickey's Diner. As we situated ourselves in the old dining car we talked of past concerts, the people around us and the general exhilaration of anticipation. I had seen both bands before, however every show is different and years had passed since then.

We left Mickey's and made our way back toward the venue and were on the quest to find the will-call window to pick up the tickets that were purchased thru the Ten Club. Tickets in hand we made our way to the section we were assigned to along the way admiring the rainbow of personalities along the way. There was definitely a generation gap, but no unpleasantness seemed to be going along with that as everybody was there to simply have a good time. After hitting the souvenir stand, we went into our section to find our seats.

We were stationed on stage right exactly next to the stage no more than 20-30 feet from the stage. Our vantage point was so close that you could make out the performers clearly. Pearl Jam came out shortly after 8pm and the crowd, which was capacity, rose to their feet and thundered. Pearl Jam kicked right into Corduroy from their Vitalogy record and we were right next to Mike McCready for the whole show. The set list was as follows courtesy of the Ten Club website:

Intersteller Overdrive/Corduroy

Severed Hand

Hail-Hail

Love Boat Captain

World Wide Suicide

Marker In The Sand

Given To Fly

Even Flow

Light Years

Not For You

Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

Come Back

State Of Love And Trust

Glorified G

Black

Life Wasted

Alive

The set, even though was strong had it's share of problems, as Mike's guitar went out quite a bit, much to his disliking. I'll just say it, he was pissed. However, once they were back on track the set went a lot smoother. All said and done, their set was just over an hour without an encore due to the fact that they were co-headlining with Petty. But Eddie was not done with his stage presence. The set was blistering and beautiful.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    none of those work...

I'm new to photobucket. They worked last night, but now I can't figure out why the link went away. I still have a new account at photobucket.

Any suggestions on how to get these to work again? They are really good of the band.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 132
    Led wrote:
    A guitar with flashing lights? *attempting Jedi mind trick* You saw no guitar with flashing lights.

I was gonna tease a bit about Mike's new guitar and leave it at that, but yeah, there was a new guitar. It sounded like it had a bad jack in it.

Night Two Photos

are you serious? YES IT DID HAVE FLASHING LIGHTS! i was in section 118 which is right next to the stage on Mike's side.... it was clear (see-thru) and it had flashing lights.... ffffffffffffff.....whatever. i know what i saw. when he finally does play it and you see pictures, you will feel like a dumbass....
  • Unbelievable show!!!!! We were Row 9 on Stones side!! The energy was soo intense!!! And they played " HAIL HAIL!! I'm a happy happy girl!!!!!!
    It doesnt hurt.... when I bleed
    but memories...they eat me
    I've seen it all before,...
    bring it on cause I'm no victim.
    -Ghost
  • none of those work...

I have about a hundred pictures from both nights but I wont have time to get them up any place before the weekend, if you want some let me know and I'll send you a file...
    Rapid City 98
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    are you serious? YES IT DID HAVE FLASHING LIGHTS! i was in section 118 which is right next to the stage on Mike's side.... it was clear (see-thru) and it had flashing lights.... ffffffffffffff.....whatever. i know what i saw. when he finally does play it and you see pictures, you will feel like a dumbass....

I seen them and I was allllllllll the way up in C13!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • Stone on electric was awesome...I was wondering what song they were going to play and never thought it'd be black without his acoustic. Electric is sooo much better, IMO.

Light Years....wow. I just found out on the way home this morning that Pete/Peter (don't remember what name Ed used) was Peter Gammonds from ESPN. Emotional song to begin with and it's one of my faves. I was the only one around me singing it as loud as I could. :D

Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy was something I was waiting for for a long time...just f'in rocking!

LW21: Life Wasted was damn good, agreed.

Ed was quite drunk tonight, I think, which led to the crazy antics on stage. I also noticed the mic stand toss.

LBC was a pleasant surprise...can't believe I've heard it 2 out of the last 3 shows I've seen.

Not For You was awesome as usual...lots of pogo'ing by fans and Ed even pogo'd a bit.

Besides Light Years, for me the other highlight of the show was Stone's disco pointing dance during Glorified G (also a nice surprise). Man, he's got some filthy dance moves.

Now, we just need the guys to come back and play two by themselves on the next tour. :D

I agree with ya Stone was really getting into the groove and this maybe one of the best boots yet, it was a kick ass set!!! I just wish it could have went on and on and on they were kicking ass but I knew it was going to end after Alive I was ready for it and I didn't bum out as hard as I did Monday!!!!!
    Rapid City 98
  • are you serious? YES IT DID HAVE FLASHING LIGHTS! i was in section 118 which is right next to the stage on Mike's side.... it was clear (see-thru) and it had flashing lights.... ffffffffffffff.....whatever. i know what i saw. when he finally does play it and you see pictures, you will feel like a dumbass....
    it was a Rickenbacker I'm quite sure...definitely lights in it.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV

I was joking. The jedi mind trick thing, ya know? It's to convince you that you didn't actually see what was there since he never actually got to use it in the show.

I never feel like a dumbass because I have a sense of humor and, even better, a sense of humility.
    07/08/95 Milwaukee : 06/30/98 Minneapolis : 10/12/00 Kansas City : 04/22/03 St. Louis : 06/12/03 under water : 06/13/03 Council Bluffs : 06/15/03 Fargo : 06/16/03 St. Paul : 09/08/05 Winnipeg : 06/26/06 St. Paul : 06/27/06 St. Paul : 07/02/06 Denver : 07/03/06 Denver
  • Bissy77Bissy77 Minnesota Posts: 445
    I just want to say another great show. I'm glad they mixed it up so much from night one. I wasn't sure they would. Sure a longer set would have been better, but they made the 90 minutes solid all the way thru.

And I to want to confirm I saw Mike's guitar with lights. I've never seen it before, and I was pissed when it wasn't working and had to switch to another guitar. I'm sure we will see it in upcoming shows.

I've also never seen Mike play an entire song behind his back like he did for Alive. That was amazing and was probably the highlight of the show for me.
    MLPS: 6-30-98 ; East Troy: 10-8-00 ; St. Paul: 6-16-03 ; East Troy: 6-21-03 ; Camden: 7-5-03 ; Grand Rapids: 10-3-04 ; Thunder Bay: 9-9-05 ; East Rutherford: 6-1-06; East Rutherford: 6-3-06 ; St. Paul: 6-26-06 ; St. Paul: 6-27-06, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, EV MLPS 7-2-11, PJ20 Alpine Valley 9-3-11, PJ20 Alpine Valley 9-4-11; Wrigley 7-19-13, St Paul 10-19-14; Wrigley 8-22-16; Seattle 8-8-18, Seattle 8-10-18; EV NY 2-4-22
    it was a Rickenbacker I'm quite sure...definitely lights in it.

yep... found out it's a Rickenbacker 331 "Light Show" model.
    Led wrote:
    I never feel like a dumbass because I have a sense of humor and, even better, a sense of humility.

i am so happy for you......do you want a cookie?
  • vairbabesvairbabes Posts: 5
    We travelled down from Winnipeg for both nights. Big thank you to RZ and CZ for access to 28th row night 1 and 8th row night 2, as well as their awesome mom for driving with me. Talk about an extremely supportive PJ mom! By the time we drove home, she actually requested to leave on PJ in the CD player, rather than that Bruce guy she likes so much :D

The first night I was by myself for the concert, but I was beside another guy who must've been from Winnipeg, and knew all of PJ's songs too. Why Go was a big highlight for me, as were the new songs. Like lots of others, I was pretty disappointed at the length of the show. The one song I didn't want them to close with, they did... oh well, they sounded great on RITFW. The Petty fans in that area were very young, and swooning over the coolness of Tom. *blink* It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Night 2 was infinitely better than night 1. The setlist was incredible, and at least I knew what to expect in terms of length. LBC, Come back!!, SOLAT!!, Glorified G!!, wow, they were all highlights, songs I'd never seen performed live. The new songs were great, although I didn't like WWS live as much as I had imagined I would. I thought Life Wasted and Marker were much stronger live. Closing with Alive was rocking, and a brilliant performance, but I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed. This is the third time I've seen PJ since Sept 05, and I have not seen Ledbetter or Baba. Apparantly they played it when I saw them in 93, but I was 14 and didn't know any better back then :)

Right before Petty went on, I noticed a weird smell, and all kinds of movement happening behind me. I turn around to see a guy ushering a very pale, very drunk/stoned looking girl away. I see the horrified looks on many people's faces. I look down. PUKE. I could not believe I was experiencing my own version of the Boston puker! The pile was way smaller, thank God, but rank nonetheless. Thanks to the guys a few rows back who teased us that it had splattered all up our backs (thankfully it didn't).

Also, did anyone notice the very tall guy next to us, old stoner type, long dark greying hair and a beard, with his girlfriend (with long blonde hair)? Apparantly his girlfriend went to college with Petty in Gainesville, and had seen him hundreds of times at different parties and local shows. They were hilarious to watch, he was swaying and clapping and calling out "turn it up!" in the middle of songs, it looked like he could "see the sounds in waves", if you know what I mean. He smoked a few joints, and hit burn out around mid-set of Petty. Not to worry though, he just sat down, snorted a quick line of coke, and had all kinds of energy to burn after that. Yikes.

My two travelling companions were up in sec 102, row 13 and were pissing themselves laughing at this poor drunk guy, he could hardly stand up. When he tried to clap along with Petty, he couldn't even connect his own two hands. He was the brunt of many jokes in that section by the sounds of it.

I can't wait to see PJ headlining again. Awesome trip.

CT
  • Did anybody else notice how much the volume ramped up for Tom Petty vs. Pearl Jam? Was the first night like that too? I noticed this was also done when Pearl Jam opened for the Rolling Stones in Pittsburgh last Sept. Is this done for any other reason than the fact that Pearl Jam would totally blow them off the stage if they didnt? If PJ played at the same volume as Petty, they would have carried people out of there.
  • applenutapplenut Posts: 67
    Did anybody else notice how much the volume ramped up for Tom Petty vs. Pearl Jam? Was the first night like that too? I noticed this was also done when Pearl Jam opened for the Rolling Stones in Pittsburgh last Sept. Is this done for any other reason than the fact that Pearl Jam would totally blow them off the stage if they didnt? If PJ played at the same volume as Petty, they would have carried people out of there.

Was the venue as full during Pearl Jam?

Generally opening bands are at a lower volume and the fact that the arena is emptier makes the sound seem lower as well.
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,989
    evenflow82 wrote:
    What the hell was up with Petty's 'Mystic Eyes' (or whatever it's called). God, that song was about 54 minutes long. Enough. The person has mystic eyes. Good for them. End it already!

LMAO!!!!!
    really funny stuff!
    thanks..
    I needed a howl like that!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    Did anybody else notice how much the volume ramped up for Tom Petty vs. Pearl Jam? Was the first night like that too? I noticed this was also done when Pearl Jam opened for the Rolling Stones in Pittsburgh last Sept. Is this done for any other reason than the fact that Pearl Jam would totally blow them off the stage if they didnt? If PJ played at the same volume as Petty, they would have carried people out of there.

I noticed it too. Both nights. I usually don't wear earplugs when I hear PJ but I so needed them for Petty. I wrote about it an an earlier post on this thread. I totally noticed it and it wasn't because the venue was emptier.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    Joanne wrote:
    I noticed it too. Both nights. I usually don't wear earplugs when I hear PJ but I so needed them for Petty. I wrote about it an an earlier post on this thread. I totally noticed it and it wasn't because the venue was emptier.

Same here. I've NEVER worn earplugs for PJ because their sound is so good. Any other band I've seen, I usually have to wear them. I definitely had them in for Petty.
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • IshmaelIshmael Posts: 12
    vmfury wrote:
    Same here. I've NEVER worn earplugs for PJ because their sound is so good. Any other band I've seen, I usually have to wear them. I definitely had them in for Petty.

Me too... it was intense how loud Petty was. I brought ear plugs for night 2 and enjoyed his show much more. I took them out for The Waiting and American Girl, though.
  • applenut wrote:
    Was the venue as full during Pearl Jam?

Generally opening bands are at a lower volume and the fact that the arena is emptier makes the sound seem lower as well.

Thanks for the input. I'd say the venue was 90-95% of capacity when PJ came on.
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    I think St. Paul night 2 was the best concert I ever went to. Not because the set list was so amazing or the crowd rocked especially hard but because I got to sit in the 1st row during PJ's set and share wine with Ed. It was amazing, I couldn't sleep the past 2 nights because every time I close my eyes I am reliving those moments. Here are some of my photo's. Enjoy!
    http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/Art4All/
  • BrighidBrighid Posts: 2
    vairbabes wrote:
    Also, did anyone notice the very tall guy next to us, old stoner type, long dark greying hair and a beard, with his girlfriend (with long blonde hair)? Apparantly his girlfriend went to college with Petty in Gainesville, and had seen him hundreds of times at different parties and local shows. They were hilarious to watch, he was swaying and clapping and calling out "turn it up!" in the middle of songs, it looked like he could "see the sounds in waves", if you know what I mean. He smoked a few joints, and hit burn out around mid-set of Petty. Not to worry though, he just sat down, snorted a quick line of coke, and had all kinds of energy to burn after that. Yikes.

My two travelling companions were up in sec 102, row 13 and were pissing themselves laughing at this poor drunk guy, he could hardly stand up. When he tried to clap along with Petty, he couldn't even connect his own two hands. He was the brunt of many jokes in that section by the sounds of it.

I can't wait to see PJ headlining again. Awesome trip.

CT

Hey CT, you must have been pretty close to me, I was 7th row seat 9 for night 2...I remember the guy-he was, I think, directly behind me...hard to miss the "turn it up" every time it got quiet. My friend & I were noticing as well that he was having a hard time standing. I was worried he might fall forward (or worse, spew forward). Luckily he just provided added entertainment. :)
  • al4al4 Posts: 3
    Quick question: What was the intro song before Interstellar Overdrive - that weird techno-like thing going while the big set of center lights were green and the house lights were still on?

Thanks.
  • al4 wrote:
    Quick question: What was the intro song before Interstellar Overdrive - that weird techno-like thing going while the big set of center lights were green and the house lights were still on?

Thanks.
    by weird techno-like thing do you mean the ending music after Inside Job on the new album?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • al4al4 Posts: 3
    by weird techno-like thing do you mean the ending music after Inside Job on the new album?
    Yes - that's it. Only it seemed longer in concert.
  • madseamadsea Posts: 140
    Not sure the make, but it was clear with a bunch (5 or 6) lights in it.

When I got in I ran down to the floor (13th row, Mike's side) to check out my seats...Mike was on stage testing the guitar...it sounded like it worked and it was flashing all over the place.

I forgot about that guitar until I read this thread.

When we was testing it, he was playing around with the jack...wonder if it just didn't want to work that night.

Wonder if we'll get to see it tomorrow night?
    i am so happy for you......do you want a cookie?

Maybe. What are my choices?