*** St. Paul II Fanviews 6/27 Here ***

Comments

• nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    Anyone have pics of the posters from last night?
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Joanne wrote:
    ONe entire LONG hour.

Holy crapballs are you serious? An hour inbetween sets? UGH
  • Night one = good
    Night two = FABULOUS!

Oh again they have put a huge perma grin on my face that will last until the next time I can make a show.....

Comback = OMG!
    Light Years = Made me cry, really!

PJ - I <3 U!

Ed with TP = a nice end to 2 fabulous days of bliss.

Until next time.....
    Hometown - Minneapolis
    Milwaukee, WI - July 9, 1995, San Diego, CA - November 7, 1995, Toledo, OH - September 22, 1996, Minneapolis, MN - June 30, 1998, Atlanta, GA - September 1, 1998, East Troy, WI - October 8, 2000, St. Paul, MN - June 16, 2003, St. Paul, MN - June 26, 2006, St Paul, MN - June 27, 2006, Eddie Vedder Solo, Minneapolis, MN - July 2nd 2011. Winnipeg,CANADA- September 17,2011, Missoula, MT September 29th, 2012, Wrigley, Chicago, IL July 19, 2013, Moline, IL October 17, 2014, and St Paul October 19, 2014, Miami April 09, 2016, Greenville April 16, 2016
    , Ottawa May 08, 2016
  • jbrotheim wrote:
    Anyone have pics of the posters from last night?

Same as night one with date change and color change. White and orange Limited Edition's too....
    Hometown - Minneapolis
    Milwaukee, WI - July 9, 1995, San Diego, CA - November 7, 1995, Toledo, OH - September 22, 1996, Minneapolis, MN - June 30, 1998, Atlanta, GA - September 1, 1998, East Troy, WI - October 8, 2000, St. Paul, MN - June 16, 2003, St. Paul, MN - June 26, 2006, St Paul, MN - June 27, 2006, Eddie Vedder Solo, Minneapolis, MN - July 2nd 2011. Winnipeg,CANADA- September 17,2011, Missoula, MT September 29th, 2012, Wrigley, Chicago, IL July 19, 2013, Moline, IL October 17, 2014, and St Paul October 19, 2014, Miami April 09, 2016, Greenville April 16, 2016
    , Ottawa May 08, 2016
  • LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 151
    life wasted = best pearl jam performance ive ever witnessed.
  • nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    natOsha wrote:
    Same as night one with date change and color change. White and orange Limited Edition's too....

that's right.. forgot they were doing the same poster but dif. colors.. how hard was it to get one?
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,835
    life wasted = best pearl jam performance ive ever witnessed.

I thought it was going to be the set closer it was so insane. They jammed out a bit on the very end. I like how Ed counted in the song and jumped right when the riff kicked in.

On another note, Petty's slinky walk (one leg crosses over the other as he walks) really got on my nerves. It looked like he was trying to be seductive or something. Blech.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Joanne wrote:
    ONe entire LONG hour.

I think this is to allow all the PJ fans to leave the arena, get into their cars and be home safe before Petty hits the stage.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • solat9solat9 Posts: 20
    Petty definately needs to stop shaking his old, bony ass.

And Stone on the electric guitar for Black was great, the way it should be. Eddie really got choked up at the end of that song.
  • So how long was the actual PJ set? Was it 90 min? I'm seeing them in Denver and I'm curious...and what time did they go on? 7:30?

They started at 7:30 and ended right around 9
  • How much time inbewteen PJ's set and Petty's set?

I checked my phone right when Petty walked out and it was like 50 min between sets
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    solat9 wrote:
    And Stone on the electric guitar for Black was great, the way it should be. Eddie really got choked up at the end of that song.
    There's an entire thread devoted to Eddie choking up at the end of Black for another concert in the Porch. Maybe he has allergies. Jesus, or maybe he should play Dirty Frank, and put his smart ass attitude on.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    Well, it was the tightest, most rockin set from the boys I have maybe ever seen- TONS of energy, Eddie clearly trying to "warm the crowd up".

Life Wasted maybe the best musical thing I have ever seen/heard/been a part of. Wow. At one point Jeff, Eddie, and Mike were all going ballistic near the end of the song and jumping around like ping pong balls, and I shit you not it was like 1992.

Petty=Skeletor. He played the same set except 3 songs both nights, same comments, gestures, etc. I kind of felt bad for him going after PJ.

Bittersweet show- it was a PJ show, but at the same time there were folks missing and half (well, less than half) the crowd was there for another band. It was still awesome, just kind of a let down after PJ to see polished-vegas style-americana-old-man-mullet-rock.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,839
    Stone on electric was awesome...I was wondering what song they were going to play and never thought it'd be black without his acoustic. Electric is sooo much better, IMO.

Light Years....wow. I just found out on the way home this morning that Pete/Peter (don't remember what name Ed used) was Peter Gammonds from ESPN. Emotional song to begin with and it's one of my faves. I was the only one around me singing it as loud as I could. :D

Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy was something I was waiting for for a long time...just f'in rocking!

LW21: Life Wasted was damn good, agreed.

Ed was quite drunk tonight, I think, which led to the crazy antics on stage. I also noticed the mic stand toss.

LBC was a pleasant surprise...can't believe I've heard it 2 out of the last 3 shows I've seen.

Not For You was awesome as usual...lots of pogo'ing by fans and Ed even pogo'd a bit.

Besides Light Years, for me the other highlight of the show was Stone's disco pointing dance during Glorified G (also a nice surprise). Man, he's got some filthy dance moves.

Now, we just need the guys to come back and play two by themselves on the next tour. :D
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • crowplutocrowpluto Posts: 5
    Rewind: Petty and Vedder jam together
    Last update: June 28, 2006 – 12:22 AM
    Printer friendly E-mail this story
    Vedder, left, and Petty

JEFF WHEELER, STAR TRIBUNE

Music
    Rewind: Petty and Vedder jam together

Concert is tripped up by sounds of sameness

Review: Petty didn't back down to Pearl Jam

Two arena headliners deserve two nights, right? Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and Pearl Jam returned Tuesday night for their second consecutive sold-out concert at the Xcel Energy Center.
    Sounding in exceptional voice, Petty pretty much stuck to the same set list, doing only four different songs (19 all together, one more than Monday). More importantly, Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder, on the left in photo, joined Petty, in the middle, for two numbers Tuesday.

In mid-set, Vedder was lead dancer and sometimes lead singer on Petty's "The Waiting." At the end of the long night, Vedder reprised his role on "American Girl," which he'd done on the night before. He danced liked a party animal, sang his part (with lyrics on the floor) and bowed at the feet of Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell.

As usual, Pearl Jam mixed up its set. While they repeated the blistering new "World Wide Suicide" and the jittery classic "Even Flow," they offered many different numbers, including "Love Boat Captain" and "Marker in the Sand." Vedder was in good spirits, pouring wine from a bottle into cups held by fans in the front row. Buoyed by his unstoppable passion, Pearl Jam played a fast and furious set to the delight of the 16,000 boisterous fans.

JON BREAM
  • JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    A couple of notes on Night 1 and 2 -

I was in the 2nd row on Night 1 and bought a ticket in the back at the last minute for night 2. I just didn't have enough $ when tickets went on sale originally. Seeing the show from two totally different areas was refreshing.

- I was really hoping for some collaboration, since we know how much Ed loves to sing with other people. With contacts from the event staff, no one had seen either band as of 5:00 PM of night 1. Since this was the first shared concert combined with the band having a night off after Cincy, I thought they'd do a little 'preparing'. But Petty wasn't here either (after watching them, I don't think they'd ever practice ahead of time. They've got their routine and they stick to it.) and I think PJ got right off the plane and onto stage. So I knew night 1 would be kind of conservative. The setlist felt like an experiment. WE're opening, got to get alot of songs in, have to pace ourselves. Stone wasn't into it. Many others thought they were going to go into the "It's Okay" tag after Daughter and Ed seemed to have called it off. There was alot of running around with the techs and changing guitars. They broke the entire PJ stage down after their set. As the night wore on, I realized that there wasn't going to be a "Rockin in the Free World" with both bands, so all hope for more collaboration besides Ed, was off.

- Night 2 was totally different.

- Another poster commented on how there was no way he could have lasted for an entire PJ concert like this because it was so jam packed and fast and furious that he was exhausted after our set. I TOTALLY AGREE. For all of you dissing this shared concert, granted it's not the 3 hours we're used to, EVERYONE should try to catch one of these Petty/PJ shows. The guys relaxed into the "opener" role amazingly the next night. There is no banter, just rock and roll on high speed. Wait until you hear a boot. WWS, Life Wasted, EF, Not 4 U, are all played waaay fast and the band is just rocking out. They have no pressure to deliver an entire, solid show to please the diehards and newbies alike. They are even more crazy than usual. Hell STONE was back kicking and doing el disco move during Glorified G! At the end of the set, Ed and Jeff lined up on opposite sides of the stage like bulls about to ram, ran at each other, leaped in the air, and brought the last chord down in a bad ass way. Mike, notorious for smashing guitars in the early days, was actually throwing his in the air and catching it as it came down. They were having a GREAT time.

- I thought they sound for Petty really sucked and it was so loud, my ears are still ringing. After PJ's sets I never feel like that. The second night when I was in the back, I realized PJ must be plugged into petty's board or something because, I could hardly hear Stone during Small Town, Mike was over powering Ed sometimes, then other's all of a sudden I could only hear Jeff. Something weird happened during Hail, Hail with Mike and Matt-it sounded off. Petty also has some cheesy lights with screens and stuff. The PJ techs do a really good job with what they've got, but it's not the same reworked, kind of arty lights we've been getting this tour. I missed that.

- Sitting in the back after being in the front 5 rows for the last couple of years, showed me a lot.
    1) Surrounded by seated Petty fans, I lasted all of 15 seconds sitting and nodding my head. The sound where I was sucked but I could feel the boy's energy all the way in back. I couldn't sit still! I kept moving where I could stand by other standers and not be in the way of the sitters. I simply cannot sit idly by and watch.

2) I moved farther back to stand by 2 guys who were going out of their minds. I mean, they were like the big guy in the blue shirt from Letterman. They were going as crazy as some of you do in the front row. Screaming the words, holding their heads, leaning way back to sing, grabbing each other because they can't believe they are hearing Evenflow LIVE. It was incredible to witness and a great thing to be near. It's true - there are fans in the back who are just as excited as those of you in the front. They are going nuts. They're happy to be in the building. They could care less what my tenclub # is or what a B-side is. It was super fun. Thanks guys.

One last thing...

After watching the Petty show, I appreciate the length PJ goes to, to ensure that each show means as much to them as the fans. When you sit in the first few rows, you are NOT anonymous. They make eye contact with you, they change the set list if things are going right or wrong. They don't dial it in. THEY CARE.

I know Tom Petty et al are old. They are incredible musicians. Especially the guy stage Left (stone's side) who play multiple guitars, the harmonica, the organ, and sang back-ups that made me look for the female back-up singers. He was awesome. But their set list doesn't change. they've got their routine and they are sticking to it. Some guys behind me had a printed out version of the setlist and were calling each song out. I respect their 30 years in the business, and their experience. However, Tom would walk up to the edge of the stage and look down on us, and you could tell that he didn't see us. None of his fans wave or scream, they just look upon this guy as a commodity, in short they weren't seeing him.

It just made me appreciate the length that the men in Pearl Jam go to remind us that they are people, they have lives, personal lives, they love playing music, and love people who love their music, and it's important to matter and give back.

pant, pant...that's all.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • unfortunately, this was the weakest of all the pj shows i have been to. i really felt like they played it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fuckin' safe... they need to have some confidence in "life wasted" as their set list opener cuz it has the energy that the show was lacking until the second to the last song. and, for me, love boat captain sunk the fuckin' ship. that is one boring ass song. and then light years. c'mon. pull yer nuts out PLEASE. they can play so much better material than this. and then glorified fuckin g. goodnight. my three absolute least favorite pj songs, all in one night. that's too much.

i'm glad i went, but the tickets were to damn expensive to get a half ass show.
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    Joanne wrote:
    A couple of notes on Night 1 and 2 -
    - Another poster commented on how there was no way he could have lasted for an entire PJ concert like this because it was so jam packed and fast and furious that he was exhausted after our set. I TOTALLY AGREE. For all of you dissing this shared concert, granted it's not the 3 hours we're used to, EVERYONE should try to catch one of these Petty/PJ shows. The guys relaxed into the "opener" role amazingly the next night. There is no banter, just rock and roll on high speed. Wait until you hear a boot. WWS, Life Wasted, EF, Not 4 U, are all played waaay fast and the band is just rocking out. They have no pressure to deliver an entire, solid show to please the diehards and newbies alike. They are even more crazy than usual. Hell STONE was back kicking and doing el disco move during Glorified G! At the end of the set, Ed and Jeff lined up on opposite sides of the stage like bulls about to ram, ran at each other, leaped in the air, and brought the last chord down in a bad ass way. Mike, notorious for smashing guitars in the early days, was actually throwing his in the air and catching it as it came down. They were having a GREAT time.

quote]

yes. absolutely. I was DONE after the set. Pedal to the medal rockin, all rock, no talk.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • solat9solat9 Posts: 20
    I thought it was funny, at the beginning of the show, the video screen for Petty was on during PJ's first song or two and Eddie screamed at someone to turn it off. The video screen was really stupid during Petty's set, but atleast it worked tonight.

Stone's disco point was great.
    unfortunately, this was the weakest of all the pj shows i have been to. i really felt like they played it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fuckin' safe... they need to have some confidence in "life wasted" as their set list opener cuz it has the energy that the show was lacking until the second to the last song. and, for me, love boat captain sunk the fuckin' ship. that is one boring ass song. and then light years. c'mon. pull yer nuts out PLEASE. they can play so much better material than this. and then glorified fuckin g. goodnight. my three absolute least favorite pj songs, all in one night. that's too much.

i'm glad i went, but the tickets were to damn expensive to get a half ass show.

Yeah Light Years sucks. Not emotional or powerful at all. :rolleyes:
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Petty=Skeletor.

I was listening to KFAN on Tuesday afternoon and someone called in and said they couldn't tell if they saw Tom Petty or Martina Navratilova the night before. ;)
  • LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 151
    I was listening to KFAN on Tuesday afternoon and someone called in and said they couldn't tell if they saw Tom Petty or Martina Navritalova the night before. ;)

well you were MIA yesterday
  • BrighidBrighid Posts: 2
    The only thing I can possibly add at this point is that there seemed to be a lot of technical problems (especially for Mike) early on for Night 2. They all handled it effortlessly. Big kudo's to Mike in the midst of all of it to calmly walk over to Stone, despite showing clear signs of frustration, to say "take the solo"...and Stoney giving him a hug and soldiered on. Wonderful improv (and short) solo...wish I was awake enough at work today to remember which friggin song it was. I'll have to wait for the bootleg to remember...anyone else remember? Once the tech issues were worked out, Mike was wired! Great interactions the 2nd night...felt amazing to be a part of it all. Miss it already...
    well you were MIA yesterday

I saw Preston and Danielle before the show but you weren't there yet. I slept in and then went to my buddy's house in Mound and went out on his boat and then to Maynards. Gotta make the rounds while in the Cities. I'll see you in LA right? :D
  • My first PJ concert...

It was freakin awesome. They lived up to the hype and it was one of the best concerts I've seen. My impressions/observations:

--Come Back was absolutely amazing. Eddie sang it with tons of emotion.

--Corduroy sounded awesome as an opener. Some technical problems, but great anyway.

--Black was perfect. The crowd sang very loud...very cool moment.

--Severed Hand was much better live than on the album. One of the early highlights of the show.

--Life Wasted. Wow, the crowd was really whipped in to a frenzy after this one. Explosive live song.

--World Wide Suicide--I don't know, the whole first verse sounded a little "off." It picked up toward the end and kicked some butt.

--The highlight for me was "Alive" as the closer. The crowd went absolutely insane. Talk about blowing the roof off the arena.

The only disappointing thing is that the energy was just building and building towards the end of the show with Life Wasted and Alive...then PJ was done!! Dammit, now I really want to see a full show instead of the abbreviated setlist.

Okay, I've read a lot of negative things about Tom Petty on these boards and I can't quite figure it out. I wasn't expecting much but I had a hell of a good time once they took the stage. I would guess that the majority of fans there last night were Petty fans, so the crowd energy was much higher than when Pearl Jam was on stage. My buddy and I were laughing our asses off because the people around us were going so nuts that you'd think God had just walked in the room. "Won't Back Down is the best song every fuckin written!!!" according to the guys standing next to me. haha. Either that or everybody drunk and in the mood for singalongs. Their cover of the Animals song was really awesome IMO.

There were a couple bad things about the Petty show.

1.The extended jams got freaking annoying. I swear that "It's good to be the king" song seemed like it would never end, but thankfully it did.

2. Okay, how the hell could Tom Pettys sound people get Eddies mic working for an ENTIRE song?! The show was excellent to this point, but this was a complete buzzkiller and the show never really recovered.

3. After seeing Tom Petty, I now know what it would be like to live inside of a bong. The smoke was incredibly heavy in my section. I don't smoke weed and I started to feel sick along with my friend so we left 15 minutes or so early. Yeah, I did know that Eddie was gonna come back out but I was feeling like shit at that point so I didn't care anymore.

All in all, this was a fantastic show by Pearl Jam/ Tom Petty. Definitely worth the money. Now that I've got a taste of Pearl Jam live, I can't wait for the day when I can see them do a full show!!!
  • RiotActRiotAct Posts: 56
    I was listening to KFAN on Tuesday afternoon and someone called in and said they couldn't tell if they saw Tom Petty or Martina Navritalova the night before. ;)

That's friggen hilarious. He looks just like her!
    RiotAct wrote:
    That's friggen hilarious. He looks just like her!

Indeed! Sorry I didn't see ya at the show...I heard you were 10th row night 1. My azz was back in 20.
  • RiotActRiotAct Posts: 56
    Indeed! Sorry I didn't see ya at the show...I heard you were 10th row night 1. My azz was back in 20.

I traded seats with a Petty fan so I used his 3rd row for PJ's set night 1 and then used his 6th row center seats for night 2. 10C seats were not as good as I expected....10th row night 1 and 9th row night 2. Was expecting better since I was 2nd row in 2003 in St. Paul. They either didn't get all the seats they have in the past or there were more requests than I thought for the show.
    RiotAct wrote:
    I traded seats with a Petty fan so I used his 3rd row for PJ's set night 1 and then used his 6th row center seats for night 2. 10C seats were not as good as I expected....10th row night 1 and 9th row night 2. Was expecting better since I was 2nd row in 2003 in St. Paul. They either didn't get all the seats they have in the past or there were more requests than I thought for the show.

There were probably a few more requests for this show because of Petty. I know how you feel though, I was 8th or 9th row in 2003. :(
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,835
    Since when did Petty try to be sexy? For the love of god, you look like a melted version of Ann Coulter's face. Sing your songs and have a good time, Tom, but don't do your striptease moves.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert