*** St. Paul II Fanviews 6/27 Here ***

Comments

• chrischobchrischob Posts: 6
    I enjoyed the PJ show the second night a bit more then the first night. Compared to the Winnipeg show last year though there was no comparison, the Winnipeg show is still the best show I've ever went to.

Glad they read my post on the first night and played Marker and Severed Hand ;)

Chris
  • Ishmael wrote:
    Come Back - this is the start of an epic live song. It will reach Black status at some point.

or maybe take the place of yellow ledbetter one day? it would make a great concert ender.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Come Back was the bathroom break song for everyone. [/quote]

WTF is wrong with people?? Come back a bathroom break song?? Not in my book
    Gorge
  • Fun, fun nights. I'm glad I went both nights, even if we had to listen to all of the same Tom Petty songs (and I like Tom Petty). Cool Petty/Pearl Jam poster though. I must say, that in my own humble opinion, the Tuesday night set-list for Pearl Jam kicked ass over Monday night's. I just enjoyed it more. I was surprised to hear both Black and Come Back in the shorter set. I expected one, but not both. This is a warm up. Bring on the Gorge!
    Do not enjoy moderation in excess...
  • solat9 wrote:
    Stone played Black with an electric guitar!

That alone made me happy. We Belong Together was beautiful.

Stone did like a disco point during Glorified G which was just hilarious.

Intersteller Overdrive is a sick opener. Completely unexpected.

Light Years was awesome. Come Back was the bathroom break song for everyone.

Eddie's mic wasn't turned on AT ALL during The Waiting, it was fucking bush league. They went the entire song with his mic not on.
    I would have too highly disagree about "come back" being a bathroom break song, they tore the fuck out of it last night Ed was way into it very well done!!!
    Rapid City 98
  • So how long was the actual PJ set? Was it 90 min? I'm seeing them in Denver and I'm curious...and what time did they go on? 7:30?
    Monday it was 75 minn and last night was 85 minn!!!!!!!!!

And about an hour break while petty sets his shit up and then he will play 2 hrs on the dot prety much and that will be it.......
    Rapid City 98
  • jamestr wrote:
    awesome, glad to hear they only played a few dupes.

Does anyone have the Petty setlist, I'd be interested to know how many dupes they played?
    Look at the set list for monday and it is about the same as last night.....

TP was good and his songs are fucking classics but the live show is so fucking in line rehearsed like, that it was like seeing a play that has been practiced to the T
    Rapid City 98
  • SkraelingSkraeling Posts: 1
    Technical problems limited the shows appeal. Eddie looked pretty pissed off, and tossed something offstage rather angrily (mic stand or guitar stand?).

Video screens failed during PJ's first or second song.

Losing the feed from the lead guitar for an entire song.

Could not hear Eddie on his first appearance with Petty. Unbelieveable they didn't fix that, they didn't even seem to realize it was a problem.

Tom Petty is a bore, his long drawn out songs at the end of the show were just to slow after Pearl Jam's feroucious, yet far to short set. I like his music, but I could have played the greatest hits CD and saved myself a lot of time and effort.

85 minutes, and no encore for Pearl Jam. I am dissapointed about the split bill, it was obviously a marketing ploy to sell it as a co-headline, but clearly PJ was the opening band. Pretty lame to treat your fans that way.

Next time I am told it's a split bill, I'll be smart enough to ask who's opening.

Should have saved the money, and waited another three years for Pearl Jam to come back. I think it will be that long, given how awful the sound quality, and technical staff was in this venue.

Oh yea, and Eddie made two separate Minnesota jokes. I forget the first on, but the "This is everyone right?" line wasn't very funny, we know we live in bum bleep nowhere, but don't rub it in. The 1000 lakes comment was sort of funny, but it's 10000 lakes. He seemed pretty intoxicated however, so I'll cut him some slack. Taking that break to smoke a joint was hilarious, I'm not sure it would be healthy to hold your inhale on a cig for that long.

Heard Eddie and the guys were shooting some pool at a local bar afterwards, that's pretty cool, wish I ended up there! I would have like to hear them bitch about the show, as I imagine they were just as unhappy as most fans who were actually paying attention.
  • I was listening to KFAN on Tuesday afternoon and someone called in and said they couldn't tell if they saw Tom Petty or Martina Navritalova the night before. ;)
    That is fucking funny!!! :D
    Rapid City 98
  • solat9solat9 Posts: 20
    I would have too highly disagree about "come back" being a bathroom break song, they tore the fuck out of it last night Ed was way into it very well done!!!
    I would too, but I just meant I saw a lot of people heading for the bathrooms once the song started.
  • nooramnooram Posts: 388
    Skraeling wrote:
    Technical problems limited the shows appeal. Eddie looked pretty pissed off, and tossed something offstage rather angrily (mic stand or guitar stand?).

Video screens failed during PJ's first or second song.
    actually Eddie demanded they shut the screens off (Thank God)
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    solat9 wrote:
    I would too, but I just meant I saw a lot of people heading for the bathrooms once the song started.

I didn't see many if any leaving by me so I would assume it was alot of Petty fans leaving since its a new song that isn't a single so I doubt they've heard it before.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 132
    Did anyone see the guitar that Mike first brought out for "Light Years"? It was like clear with a bunch of flashing lights. Then it started to crackle and he quickly switched before the song started. I have never seen that guitar before....anyone else?
  • nooram wrote:
    actually Eddie demanded they shut the screens off (Thank God)

Whats wrong with the screens for the nosebleed people? I'm not being sarcastic. I really don't know why Eddie or you would object to them.
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    if it was dual headline, they would switch each night. this is clearly a bullshit lie, they are opening. way to mislead again ten club
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Ishmael wrote:
    Come Back - this is the start of an epic live song. It will reach Black status at some point.

I think this is true as well. It's a different type of sad song, so to speak. Just as powerful, especially the "I need you/I'll be here" at the end.
    For Rent
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    just dragged my ass back from st paul.. i enjoyed myself, however, i will never go to another pj 'co headliner' show again. i did go to st paul for the same reason pearl jam played, to toast petty's 30th. but i have now officially seen tp&thb 4 times and th' th' th' th' th' that's all folks.

the best tp song was the cover of 'oh well' which is my favorite fleetwood mac song ever. without mike campbell, tp is just a good song writer.

now it's on to LA!!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • madseamadsea Posts: 140
    The show was great...very good mix of old and new.

Was a little disappointed with the quick set as the boys really seemed to be getting into it near the end...the show could have been EPIC with another 25-30 minutes.

Also a bit disappointed with the "co-headliner" billing. Pearl Jam was CLEARLY the opening band (Petty even mentions that PJ is 'opening' in the RS article).

Glad to see it...excited to see them again at Summerfest on Friday.
  • well you were MIA yesterday

ooohh... is this a mystery person?
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    I've posted some images I took last night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19748323@N00/tags/pearljamstpauljune272006/

I was in section 102 row 9. I'm already going through withdrawl and can't wait for San Diego on the 7th!
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • madsea wrote:

Was a little disappointed with the quick set as the boys really seemed to be getting into it near the end...the show could have been EPIC with another 25-30 minutes.

I walked out after each set (and out of the arena last night, couldn't stand to see Petty do the same hits set two nights in a row) saying I was blueballed. That's really what it felt like, this great build up and, all of a sudden, "what? it's over?"
    Fargo 2003
    Thunder Bay 2005
    St. Paul 2006 I
    St. Paul 2006 II
  • madsea wrote:
    The show was great...very good mix of old and new.

Agreed. The crowd was getting more and more into the show. After Elderly Woman things really began to takeoff. Then Black was further liftoff. Life Wasted tore the roof off the place...Alive was epic. They could have played that song for another half hour and the crowd might have spontaneously combusted. I think anyone who was there could feel the momentum building and building...too bad they had to stop.
  • What is the name of the Animals song that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played last night? I have to admit that song kicked some serious ass.
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    What is the name of the Animals song that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played last night? I have to admit that song kicked some serious ass.

I'm Cryin' and yes it did kick ass. and so does Mystic Eyes. and many of their hits are excellent but TP could use a makeover on the set lists. His band is capable of kickin major ass. but to play the same old order every night, with a couple of tweaks now and then, must be boring.. or else they are just lazy...

as i posted before, seen tp for the last time, unless, of course, tp OPENS for Pearl Jam .. :D
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    got lucky and made it to night 2, seats werent the best, but very glad to be there. I was in C13 and it was a nice area, but what really sucked ass was the fact that the damn ceiling light was on the whole time, also there werent many that were into it except this cool fan that was standing up next to me in the aisle, thanks man.
    Anyways, other then the section being dead for most of the set they finally came to life towards the end.

All in all it was a great set and I enjoyed it very much. I stayed until the lights came on and heard all of the boos the crowd gave over our dissapointment of not being blessed with an encore.

I didnt waste a minute and looking at the rest of the night I am glad I didnt either, seems as though Petty played the same stuff from night one. Dont get me wrong Petty is awesome, but its like having meatloaf after eating a juicy steak.

My brother had said that he read an article in Entertainment Weekly compairing the Pearl Jam fan following with the Grateful Dead. Thats quite an honor for all of us that are fans. As we all know why we do go from show to show, night in night out is due to the fact that you can go to back to back shows and it will be different. I am glad I was there, acutally I was very fortuante to be there as it was, but it goes up again as a great experience.

heres something we all can wish for if you see that falling star, find a 4 leaf clover or what ever your luck may follow....as a thank you and a "we are sorry Petty watered us down" gesture...it would be nice to see them come through one more time!

anyways, I am done for the season, strapped due to other obligations otherwise I would follow them to Milwaukee.

I will be watching them on vh1 Sat night at 9, and then catching them again at 11!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    Night 2 as far as Petty went....I was bored stiff through most of it and then fired back up each time Eddie came out to do a song with them. Some of the people in my section left something to be desired. They were extremely hammered and had zero consideration for anyone else. I had beer spilled in my hair by some drunk girl when she was making her way back to her seat after her 10th beer run and then she nearly knocked me over shortly after that. She was so pie-eyed it was pathetic. Probably didn't even remember the show. Other than being surrounded by drunk idiots, PJ was awesome! I heard 3 songs I've never heard live so that was grrrreat! I can't wait to go at it again next week. :)
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Rhyno wrote:
    Whoever went to the bathroom missed out. I love Comeback and was so excited to hear it! There's no way I'd leave to take a piss during PJ...Petty yes, PJ no.

Well said. Dude should speak for himself, lots of people love Come Back!
  • tyemarietyemarie Posts: 40
    Come Back was the bathroom break song for everyone.

i nearly pissed my pants when i heard comeback....awesome! incredible!
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • tyemarietyemarie Posts: 40
    'Come Back was the bathroom break song for everyone....'

i nearly pissed my pants when i heard comeback....awesome! incredible! great show......
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

Oops. Just posted these pix under night 1... they were from Tuesday night.
    Here are a few of my best pictures from last night... just left of center, 11 rows back.

Enjoy... And think happy PJ thoughts : )

EDITED: See post on next page. These links were bad.