*** St. Paul II Fanviews 6/27 Here ***

1235»

Comments

• vairbabesvairbabes Posts: 5
    Brighid wrote:
    Hey CT, you must have been pretty close to me, I was 7th row seat 9 for night 2...I remember the guy-he was, I think, directly behind me...hard to miss the "turn it up" every time it got quiet. My friend & I were noticing as well that he was having a hard time standing. I was worried he might fall forward (or worse, spew forward). Luckily he just provided added entertainment. :)

Hey, I think I remember you. You had on an older PJ shirt with the setlist on tags like they used to have in jukeboxes, right? From one of the cd's artwork, I believe. Then you got an avocado shirt later. I was behind you, to your right, with the green PJ World Wide shirt. That guy kept telling us how it's been 22 years since he went to the Winnipeg Folk Festival, and how he saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers play there before they were actually called RHCP. Definitely an interesting dude :)
  • Fatal SmileFatal Smile Posts: 111
    I read most of the pages, but have yet to see anyone point out that Mike playing the solo in Alive (while playing behind his back) played a little War Pigs!!! I heard him do it in Thunder Bay, and didn't think he brought that out as often, it was great.

The whole throwing the guitar stand was pretty crazy, we were on Stone's side so we saw everything, I think he was pissed because one of the techs forgot to bring his guitar up there sooner, because as Ed was throwing the guitar stand the tech was bringing his guitar up there. Pretty crazy, I caught a weird vibe for a while after that.

Both nights were excellent, totally different setlists.
    CARPE DIEM!!

"Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there but there's much more than this. Woh see the world."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"

"No need to be void, or save up on life. You got to spend it all"

Minneapolis 1998, St. Paul 2003, Alpine Valley 2003, Thunder Bay 2005, St. Paul 2006 I, St. Paul 2006 II, The Gorge I 2006, Hartford 2008, Mansfield I 2008, Mansfield II 2008, Chicago I 2009, EV Solo Minneapolis 2011, PJ 20 Alpine Valley I 2011, PJ 20 Alpine Valley II 2011, Wrigley 2013, Moline 2014, St. Paul 2014
  • applenut wrote:
    Was the venue as full during Pearl Jam?

Generally opening bands are at a lower volume and the fact that the arena is emptier makes the sound seem lower as well.[/quote/

Place was jammed packed both during PJ & TP over 16,000 plus if that counts!

It was clearly all TP pa equipment and lights, PJ was the opening band and at any show you go too, it always kicks up a notch when the headliner goes on.
    Rapid City 98
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    solat9 wrote:
    Stone played Black with an electric guitar!

That alone made me happy. We Belong Together was beautiful.

Stone did like a disco point during Glorified G which was just hilarious.

Intersteller Overdrive is a sick opener. Completely unexpected.

Light Years was awesome. Come Back was the bathroom break song for everyone.

Eddie's mic wasn't turned on AT ALL during The Waiting, it was fucking bush league. They went the entire song with his mic not on.
    when doesnt he? He ALWAYS does...it sounds acoustic because he uses a Hamer "Duo-Tone" that makes it sounds acoustic

all4
  • VoncasterVoncaster Posts: 29
    Voncaster’s Review

This was my 4th Pearl Jam show and it was great one. Short, but rockin’ and good nonetheless. I was 17th row McCready side. I love seeing Pearl Jam, there is something really comforting and uplifting about their shows. The guys seem to enjoy each others company so much and that positive energy really translates at the shows. Little moments like Stone play punching a macho Jeff or Ed hanging off the side to appreciate a McCready solo mean as much to me as hearing my favorite songs.

PEARL JAM

Interstellar Overdrive/Corduroy
    I didn’t know Overdrive was a Floyd song, until I looked it up in the PJ song database. Overdrive was a rocking segue way into Corduroy which in of itself is a great opener. Ed motions to kill the screens which Petty will use for his concert.

Severed Hand
    My favorite song of the latest record, I was glad to hear it. I love the lyrics at the end where the song slows…Oh, if I don’t lose control, exploring not explode.

Hail Hail
    In my book the more No Code the better. I was glad to hear this one, its always rocking live.

Love Boat Captain
    I went to this show with a friend of mine from work named Aaron. Before the show he asked: “Where should we meet if we get separated?” I replied, “We won’t get separated, Pearl Jam only plays shows with seats on the floor.” I was thinking or recalling that this is probably a result of the Rockslide Festival fan deaths…which in turn had me thinking about Love Boat Captain. Boom gets a warm welcome.

World Wide Suicide
    WWS is everyone’s favorite radio single. I guess I haven’t had enough time with the new album to let it sink in. I almost always preferred older songs to songs off the new album.

Marker in the Sand
    I think most of the audience was lukewarm on this one. I was probably in that camp as well. McCready seems to be having some guitar troubles…there were various audio problems throughout the night.

Given to Fly
    My favorite part of the song is when Ed sings “Arms wide open with the sea as his floor” and everyone puts their arms up simultaneously. Its always a great moment of community.

Even Flow
    Wow Corduroy and Even Flow in the same show…lol. Seriously though I’m not a big fan of Even Flow. But this particular version was pretty good. It was greatly improved by amazing McCready and Cameron solos putting the Jam in Pearl Jam. I’m a big sucker for drum solos at live shows, so this was a treat for me. I also think this is where Ed drinks/smokes off to the side stage and becomes one of the crowd (with a stage seat) and enjoys the show.

Light Years
    Ed said this one is rare live song, and dedicated to a missing friend named Peter. Light Years is a lovely live song.

Not For You
    In a short show I was looking forward to more rocking numbers and less slow numbers…this was a great rocker that I hadn’t heard before live. Lyrics changes a plenty:

She’s my baby, and now she’s three
    Yeah lucky me.

My friend’s call me,
    Minnesota why haven’t you called me?*

Excellent. One of my favorite songs of the night.

Small Town
    Dedicated to Lake 933…If you were from MN you got the joke. Another great number as everyone knows the lyrics. I like when Ed cuts out and lets the audience take over. Like the hands in Given to Fly it’s a great crowd moment.

Come Back
    This is a pretty beautiful song, but I just was not in the mood for it. With a shorter set I was looking for the faster more up tempo numbers.

State Of Love and Trust
    Awsome. See above.

Glorified G
    Now this is more like it. This seemed to be last minute set list change, before it began Ed was running around the stage talking to his band mates. Jeff breaks out the upright bass, which has an excellent full sound to it, another good live song.

Black
    Ed introduced this song by saying Glorifeid G is “that’s an old song, this one’s older” Black and Alive are my two favorite songs of Ten, so I was hoping it was one of these two. Black is always great live. Some sort of tag:

We belong together…

Life Wasted
    Too much of the new disc for me, but its probably a welcome change for the band to be playing new stuff. This one and Severed Hand are my two favorites off the new album played at the show.

Alive
    My other favorite song from Ten. I was singing a dancing along with this one really getting into it. Then I look up at the stage and Mike is playing another sweet solo, with the guitar BEHIND HIS BACK! Oh man this is great. As solo rages Ed walks around the stage and waves to the audience. I get a sinking feeling in my stomach…the show is already over.

The high after a Pearl Jam show is amazing. Thanks 10C for the amazing tickets and Pearl Jam for the amazing show.

*Please don’t be three years again between shows, I’ll call if you give me the number.

TOM PETTY

Between show, my friend Aaron thanks me profusely for taking him to the show. I said no problem, but confessed I didn’t know any Tom Petty. Aaron insists that I probably know some Petty. Turns out I know about half the songs…lots of radio hits for Petty apparently.

Ed sings two numbers with Heartbreakers. On the first number Ed’s mic is not working. The audience on the floor was all motioning for Ed to switch mics but he was too into the song to notice. The second number he sings he checks the mic “Check, Check” which gets a huge applause from the audience.

A great show and one I will remember for a long time. It is so excellent to be listening to it right now as well (thanks to BASECAMP this download system works like a charm).

Please don’t be three years again between shows.
    2023-09-02 St. Paul, MN
    2023-08-31 St. Paul, MN
    2018-08-08 Seattle, WA
    2016-08-20 Chicago, IL - Wrigley 1
    2014-10-19 St.Paul, MN
    2010-05-03 Kansas City, MO
    2009-08-24 Chicago, IL
    2008-06-25 New York, NY
    2007-08-05 Chicago, IL
    2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN
    2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN
    2000-08-10 East Troy, WI - The Ice Bowl
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN
  • BAM5555BAM5555 Posts: 9
    no way was i sitting through another set of TP which was exactly the same as prior

glorified G was un-fokin-real
    state of love and trust was golden and the crowd was sooper into it...

crowd was more energized for sure the 2nd night, although i thought MAYBE that PJ might close and Petty would open, but i was wrong.

finished the night off with a conversation with the dude from the front row who got Ed's wine bottle...nice guy forget his name tho...

1hr30mins night 2
    +
    1hr20mins night 1
    =
    dissapointment
    BAM
    <

Groundwork '01
    Fargo '03
    St.Paul '03
    Winnipeg '05
    St.Paul '06 x2
  • If I had heard that Pearl Jam was playing in MN any other night of the year, I would have said, "Damn, I wish I could go to that show!" Seeing the show was ON MY BIRTHDAY, I said "I HAVE to make this happen!" Being married with 6 kids and a very limited income, this was no small task, but thanks to very generous parents and a fishing trip for my wife on her birthday, it happened and I had the night of my LIFE!

Dinner at Great Waters Brewing Co., I recommend the Stingo and the Black Watch or whatever the black cask ale was called . . .Brie Green Apple Chicken sandwich is fun to order but I found it surprisingly bland . . .

Section 117, Row 14, Mike's side, great seats (thanks eBay)

Corduroy, my favorite song from my least favorite album, great way to start the night . . .

Severed Hand, y'know, after 'ten', the guitar style of the band started to get 'chunky', for lack of a better term. (Think 'Blood' and 'Spin the Black Circle'.) I didn't like it at first, but I've bought every album since then, and they've tempered the style a bit, so now I can get into songs like Comatose and Severed Hand.

Hail, Hail, cool that most of the albums are represented, if I had my choice of 1 from No Code it woulda been Habit, but if they're only playing 1 i s'pose it hasta be Hailx2

Love Boat Captain, I cried, if you remember me posting in the St. Paul 1 thread, the songs I wished for specifically were Habit (longshot), LBC and State, got 2 out of 3 there and so much more to make up for the rest. It was my first Pearl Jam show in 14 years, so I got a little nervous when everyone started yelling 'BOOOOOM', thought they were booing.

Worldwide Suicide, great song, gotta play the single . . .

Marker in the Sand, I bought the new CD the day before the show and listened to it nonstop on the 3.5 hour drive to St. Cloud, where I stayed before and after the show. I haven't been able to listen to a Pearl Jam CD like that since 'Yield', which automatically puts it in the top 3. I really liked Track 5, and noticed that it wasn't coming up in too many playlists, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear it. It's great, like two songs in one . . .

Given To Fly, by this time, I think my niece (not a huge PJ fan)is sick of me leaning over every song and saying 'I LOVE this song!' The night has moved straight on from cool to special and is well on its way to magical.

Even Flow, a staple, I'm sure. I'm glad it's in the setlist mainly for Mike's solo, and I was only slightly disappointed in his solo tonight, but as I understand there technical and other underlying circumstances . . .

Light Years, I cried, again. I didn't dare tell my niece how much I love this song . . .completely unexpected and loved it.

Not For You, a fun song to jam on and scream the F-word to. Kinda long and montonous for a short set, but by this time, I'm so high (emotionally, not chemically) that they coulda covered a New Kids song and I would've been thrilled.

Elderly Woman, worth it just to hear the crowd scream 'HELLOOOOOO'. All night the crowd was like a choir, singing along with everything and you could hear it plain as day along with (not over) the band. Made the whole stadium feel like some small, intimate hall . . .

Come Back, a nice bluesy ballad in the vein of 'Black' and 'Yellow Ledbetter'. My wife actually likes this song, so I've been playing it a lot for her since I got back.

State of Love and Trust, near spontaneous ejaculation, see above . . .

Glorified G, straight out of left field, awesome, wish I'd have seen Stone do his dance . . .

Black, guess what I did, again. Read an article many years ago about how performing Black still made Eddie emotional to say the least. Well, it's been 15 years and It's still doing it to him. I wanna write a song like that. Anyone asks me my all-time favorite song, I tell 'em it's Black. Nice crowd participation on the 'Do-do-doot's' at the end, any louder and it would been silly. We belong together . . .

Life Wasted, rocked, hard, gonna hafta get the boot to remember just how hard. I do remember all the jumping around and fun the guys were having. I was just starting to come down and realize that it was all prob'ly gonna be over soon.

Alive, Mike's solo behind the back, so cool.

There's a song-by-song from me. I have a few more things to say but I'll post them seperately.
    "We were but stones, your light made us stars . . ."
  • I heard a few obvious Pearl Jam fans and loyal tour followers commenting between PJ and Petty how they didn't have to sit through 'Better Man' or 'Daughter' . . .

I saw some pics from the show where Jeff's playing an electric stand-up . . .call me blind or stupid (personally, i think Mike and/or the stack on his side of the stage was blocking my view) but which songs does he play that on?

Petty's set . . .too much stuff from the Jeff Lynne'inspired 90's-> . . .not my favorite period in his career. I'm not saying he shoulda played a whole set of 70's and 80's hits, I prob'ly wouldn't even be saying this at all if he played 'You Got Lucky'. Hey, wouldn't it be cool if he squeezed in 'Girl on LSD' or maybe 'Yer So Bad'? Also, every other song had a 'breakdown', where he'd wave his hands and all would stop but the rhythm section. Then he'd wave his hands again, the drummer would hit the snare, and the lights would change color. Then he'd do some weird call and response and wave his hands again! Cool the first (couple) times, but I swear he did it every other freaking song!!! Best part, tho, the Animals tune. Gotta find me that one now. Calling out Eddie mid-set could've proved disatrous since no one wanted him to leave (mostly 'cuz of the mic problem which has been addressed to death), Tom had to say 'He'll be back later' to settle the crowd.

OK, I get it. Eddie's a surfer. But, have you noticed how many PJ songs mention the ocean? Forget that, how many just mention 'waves'? So, it made me laugh when Eddie took the second verse of American Girl, with the line 'She could hear the cars roll by out on 441 like waves crashin' on the beach . . ." Please point me to the thread that points out all the wave references in PJ songs. If there isn't one, dammit there should be.

K, I think I'm done. If i think of anything else, you know I'll be back ;)
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    I really can't decide which night was better- I enjoyed both shows immensely.

Interstellar was a complete surprise to me- I didn't even consider that it was an option. As a Pink Floyd fan, it was something I wanted to hear at least once (I got my ABITW tag fix last year in Winnipeg), so when those first notes rang out I pretty much went apeshit. What a way to start. Another thing I realized was that I'd now been to 10 shows, and all but one show had a unique opener (I've heard Release open twice now). I really don't know of any other band that isn't a jam band that you could do this with. Just one more reason it pays to follow these guys. Severed Hand is slowly knocking Inside Job off the top of list of my favorite songs on the new record, so it was very welcome after Corduroy. Throwing my hand in the air to "I said Yeeeeeah" has been my favorite thing to do at the shows I've seen this tour. I love it.

With the Roskilde anniversary on the horizon, Love Boat Captain was especially nice to hear. Light Years was the definite surprise of the night for me. It wasn't until the next day when I read about Peter Gammons that I realized who the 'Peter' Ed dedicated that song to was. I've come to really like State of Love and Trust after hearing it at a few shows now- a couple years ago I wasn't much of a fan. And I loved that we got Glorified G- it wasn't something I thought we'd hear at these Petty shows. Not sure if it was on the set or not, as Ed went to everyone and appeared to be communicating something, but I was pretty excited to hear it.

I could hear Black at every show and I wouldn't get tired of it- I love Ed's singing, I love Mike's solos at the end. Ed seemed moved, too.

The Petty show was decent. He played It's Good To Be King, and jammed it out nicely at the end. That's my favorite Petty track, so i was glad to get to hear it. Otherwise not much was different from the night before, but I still enjoyed the set.

All in all both PJ shows were great, even with the shorter time frame. I'm glad I went.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    AndySlash wrote:
    I
    All in all both PJ shows were great, even with the shorter time frame. I'm glad I went.

Me too, I drove all day to get there and all day back and it was still worth it. And since I spent 16 times the length of the shows in the car to do that has to mean something. Of course it was a short set but we all knew that was coming so what ever (they just said something about george strait being music on tbs baseball and the other guy said it still should have been pearl jam") so glad I made these shows even with the deadly drive and numerous problems adapting to the differnt currency-really guys when will you realize that coins and colo(U)r coding is the way of teh future? nice trip can't wait to "come back" to Minnesota
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • crowplutocrowpluto Posts: 5
    Voncaster wrote:
    Glorified G
    Now this is more like it. This seemed to be last minute set list change, before it began Ed was running around the stage talking to his band mates. Jeff breaks out the upright bass, which has an excellent full sound to it, another good live song.

Haven't seen anyone else mention this yet and I forgot about it. This definately came as as result of a set list change initiated by Ed. Either that or just by coinsidence he had something really important to tell everyone right before the song.

Had no idea before the show that Jeff used a stand-up bass on this one.
  • VoncasterVoncaster Posts: 29
    I'm sort of dissapointed at all the people bitching about the Petty/Pearl Jam shows. I would have loved to see more Pearl Jam, but the fact of the matter is I got to see PJ...and they played a great set in the time they were given.

I also think it was important for Pearl Jam to get to tour with Petty. It was something they wanted to do and I think people could be a little more open minded about it. Get over the fact that the Pearl Jam set is a little shorter and enjoy Petty's set. I'm not even a big Petty fan, but I found myself enjoying the his set. Keep an open mind.
    2023-09-02 St. Paul, MN
    2023-08-31 St. Paul, MN
    2018-08-08 Seattle, WA
    2016-08-20 Chicago, IL - Wrigley 1
    2014-10-19 St.Paul, MN
    2010-05-03 Kansas City, MO
    2009-08-24 Chicago, IL
    2008-06-25 New York, NY
    2007-08-05 Chicago, IL
    2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN
    2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN
    2000-08-10 East Troy, WI - The Ice Bowl
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN
  • I read most of the pages, but have yet to see anyone point out that Mike playing the solo in Alive (while playing behind his back) played a little War Pigs!!! I heard him do it in Thunder Bay, and didn't think he brought that out as often, it was great.

It was actually an amalgamation of War Pigs and another Sabbath tune from the Dio era, "Heaven & Hell". At least it sounded like that to me. It was cool, nonetheless.
  • It was two great nights and a week later I still have post show blues!!!
    Rapid City 98
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    It was two great nights and a week later I still have post show blues!!!

I agree with you bud, I am going through the withdrawals as well!

take it one day at a time!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • Me and a good friend saw Pearl Jam the first night they were in St. Paul and the rocked the place hard. I loved every minute I was there. I downloaded the bootleg of the concert as soon as I could and I will never quit listening to it. We're rocking out to it right now with mr. Jim Beam. GOD I LOVE PEARL JAM!! I'm in the US Marine Corps right now and when pearl jam played army reserve I wanted to run on stage and do a classic eddie veder crowd jump but that wasn't quite possible so we just rocked out the whole concert. If you feel the same way please reply. ROCK ON PEARL JAM!!!!
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    SOFAITHFUL wrote:
    Me and a good friend saw Pearl Jam the first night they were in St. Paul and the rocked the place hard. I loved every minute I was there. I downloaded the bootleg of the concert as soon as I could and I will never quit listening to it. We're rocking out to it right now with mr. Jim Beam. GOD I LOVE PEARL JAM!! I'm in the US Marine Corps right now and when pearl jam played army reserve I wanted to run on stage and do a classic eddie veder crowd jump but that wasn't quite possible so we just rocked out the whole concert. If you feel the same way please reply. ROCK ON PEARL JAM!!!!

More power to you bro...glad you made the show and had a great time!!!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • evenflow82 wrote:
    Naturally i dug the PJ set more.

That version of Alive was absolutely sick. Never have I seen that song performed so well. Life Wasted also carried a TON of energy with Ed jumping all over the place.

What the hell was up with Petty's 'Mystic Eyes' (or whatever it's called). God, that song was about 54 minutes long. Enough. The person has mystic eyes. Good for them. End it already!

Come back to Minnesota again, PJ. We love to have you here!

LMAO @ "Mystic eyes"
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • SOFAITHFUL wrote:
    Me and a good friend saw Pearl Jam the first night they were in St. Paul and the rocked the place hard. I loved every minute I was there. I downloaded the bootleg of the concert as soon as I could and I will never quit listening to it. We're rocking out to it right now with mr. Jim Beam. GOD I LOVE PEARL JAM!! I'm in the US Marine Corps right now and when pearl jam played army reserve I wanted to run on stage and do a classic eddie veder crowd jump but that wasn't quite possible so we just rocked out the whole concert. If you feel the same way please reply. ROCK ON PEARL JAM!!!!

I am glad you made it, thanks for your service! Stay safe!!!!
    Rapid City 98
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    crowpluto wrote:
    Voncaster wrote:
    Glorified G

Haven't seen anyone else mention this yet and I forgot about it. This definately came as as result of a set list change initiated by Ed. Either that or just by coinsidence he had something really important to tell everyone right before the song.

Had no idea before the show that Jeff used a stand-up bass on this one.

Yea, by the looks of the set list. They skipped Down in lue of Glorified G.

Setlist:
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/cbh1011/IMG_2062.jpg
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    Feeling the post-tour blues or just looking for something to do 'between the legs' - Enjoy this 3 min clip of LBC my friend took St. Paul 6/27.

The sound is shitty but the footage is good

Photobucket - Shared Video!

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/Art4All/?actionfiltered=view¤t=0724cbec.flv
    LBC 6/27