Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Better than ABBA - The visitor?

Why does he rip off Unknown Legend for Almost Always? Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • My brother just said theres rumours Neil Young is doing a farewell tour???
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited December 2017
    nice deals on Neil vinyl here

http://www.insound.com/music.html
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    This site is amazing, now this is a vault:
    http://www.neilyoungarchives.com/

• Anywhere the stream has been put up that is not Facebook? Can't even get HD on there. Looks ass. 

(Amazing setlist btw)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    That was a GREAT show! Yes there were a few mistakes here and there - Neil did say he was nervous during the set - but it was a great performance with a really cool setlist:

Comes a Time
    Love Is a Rose
    Journey Through the Past
    Long May You Run
    I'm Glad I Found You
    Tumbleweed
    Old Man
    Old King
    Someday
    There's a World (first time played since 71!)
    Stand Tall
    War of Man
    Don't Be Denied
    Helpless
    Heart of Gold
    Encore:
    One of These Days
    Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)
    Sugar Mountain
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Anywhere the stream has been put up that is not Facebook? Can't even get HD on there. Looks ass. 

(Amazing setlist btw)
    Looks great and sounds great to me
    If there is a God, she is a fan of Neil Young
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    There is a 720p capture of it up on dime.
  • my2hands said:
    Anywhere the stream has been put up that is not Facebook? Can't even get HD on there. Looks ass. 

(Amazing setlist btw)
    Looks great and sounds great to me
    Was a blurry mess on my computer :( 

Well well.
  • It's up on youtube in 720p too now.

His voice is really showing signs of age.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2017

Trans (1982). First of all, amazing artwork. I understand the importance of this album for Neil. But, I would love to hear a remixed version - a Trans Raw - with Crazy Horses stuff back in and the synths and vocoders pushed back. Because there are amazing songs on here - three of them (Transformer man, sample and hold and Mr. Soul) sounds amazing at Neils MTV Unplugged show. But buried in all of this production the songs lose umph. Standouts: Little thing called Love, Sample and hold and Like an Inca.

• Everybody's Rockin' (1983). Geffen signing Neil Young and the lawsuit that followed sure is something. Out of that whole ordeal, this album most be the craziest part. Remember it always being available and dirt cheap in used record stores. Seems people couldn't wait to get rid of it. I like it though. It's fun. And Neils voice fits great to 50s rock songs.
  • So, what's unreleased and never before heard in the NYA?
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    He has listed Chrome Dreams (I), Homegrown and Toast, but they are not streamable. Maybe after the paywall goes up. 

Trans (1982). First of all, amazing artwork. I understand the importance of this album for Neil. But, I would love to hear a remixed version - a Trans Raw - with Crazy Horses stuff back in and the synths and vocoders pushed back. Because there are amazing songs on here - three of them (Transformer man, sample and hold and Mr. Soul) sounds amazing at Neils MTV Unplugged show. But buried in all of this production the songs lose umph. Standouts: Little thing called Love, Sample and hold and Like an Inca.
    Mr Soul is from Buffalo Springfield and came way before Trans... I actually like the Trans version though, very funky
  • my2hands said:

Mr Soul is from Buffalo Springfield and came way before Trans... I actually like the Trans version though, very funky
    Yes I know. But it still sounds amazing at the unplugged show. 

:)
  • Having a recent Neil night with the Pono and the end of a bottle of Red Label. 
    Monsanto Years, Peace Trail and The Visitor - not one a NY classic, but all dang listenable. 
    An extreme talent, long may he run!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:
    A very good Neil day today. Picked up The Visitor this morning, listened to it most of the day in work. The Archives are due to open later tonight and the Somewhere in Canada show will be on as well.

To top it all off this bad boy arrived in the mail...

It's an interesting record. Not exactly an essential Neil release, but the collector in me is very happy to finally get a good quality copy for a decent price.

Taken from good old Wiki...

“The film was scored by Neil Young, who sings the opening theme, "Home on the Range", accompanied by a harmonica. Variations on "Home on the Range" are played by Young on electric guitar as "Ode to Wild Bill" and by an orchestra with arrangements by David Blumberg on "Buffalo Stomp". Music in the film included rock and R&B songs by Jimi HendrixBob DylanThe Temptations, the Four Tops and Creedence Clearwater Revival. Additionally, characters played by Bill Murray and René Auberjonois sing lyrics from "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

Because of the high cost of music licensing, most VHS and all DVD releases have retained only the Neil Young score and the Creedence song, "Keep on Chooglin'", with the rest of the music replaced by generic approximations of the original songs. Only the theatrical release and early VHS releases contained the songs found on the soundtrack. The choice of songs for the DVD version was somewhat anachronistic, since it featured 1980s-style songs in a 1960s and 1970s setting.

The soundtrack album was released by Backstreet Records in 1980 as a vinyl LP and included pieces of dialogue from the film. It has not been re-issued on CD

1."Buffalo Stomp"Neil Young with the Wild Bill Band of Strings3:10
    2."Ode to Wild Bill #1"Neil Young0:48
    3."All Along the Watchtower"The Jimi Hendrix Experience3:58
    4."Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"Bill Murray1:24
    5."Ode to Wild Bill #2"Neil Young1:01
    6."Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"The Temptations6:59
    7."Home, Home on the Range"Neil Young1:44
    8."Straight Answers" (dialogue)Bill Murray0:21
    9."Highway 61 Revisited"Bob Dylan3:21
    10."I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)"Four Tops2:43
    11."Ode to Wild Bill #3"Neil Young0:40
    12."Keep on Chooglin'"Creedence Clearwater Revival7:39
    13."Ode to Wild Bill #4"Neil Young0:32
    14."Purple Haze"The Jimi Hendrix Experience2:47
    15."Buffalo Stomp Refrain"Neil Young with the Wild Bill Band of Strings0:53

What cool find!  I've never seen it on vinyl. Congrats!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    A very good Neil day today. Picked up The Visitor this morning, listened to it most of the day in work. The Archives are due to open later tonight and the Somewhere in Canada show will be on as well.

To top it all off this bad boy arrived in the mail...

It's an interesting record. Not exactly an essential Neil release, but the collector in me is very happy to finally get a good quality copy for a decent price.

Taken from good old Wiki...

“The film was scored by Neil Young, who sings the opening theme, "Home on the Range", accompanied by a harmonica. Variations on "Home on the Range" are played by Young on electric guitar as "Ode to Wild Bill" and by an orchestra with arrangements by David Blumberg on "Buffalo Stomp". Music in the film included rock and R&B songs by Jimi HendrixBob DylanThe Temptations, the Four Tops and Creedence Clearwater Revival. Additionally, characters played by Bill Murray and René Auberjonois sing lyrics from "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

Because of the high cost of music licensing, most VHS and all DVD releases have retained only the Neil Young score and the Creedence song, "Keep on Chooglin'", with the rest of the music replaced by generic approximations of the original songs. Only the theatrical release and early VHS releases contained the songs found on the soundtrack. The choice of songs for the DVD version was somewhat anachronistic, since it featured 1980s-style songs in a 1960s and 1970s setting.

The soundtrack album was released by Backstreet Records in 1980 as a vinyl LP and included pieces of dialogue from the film. It has not been re-issued on CD

1."Buffalo Stomp"Neil Young with the Wild Bill Band of Strings3:10
    2."Ode to Wild Bill #1"Neil Young0:48
    3."All Along the Watchtower"The Jimi Hendrix Experience3:58
    4."Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"Bill Murray1:24
    5."Ode to Wild Bill #2"Neil Young1:01
    6."Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"The Temptations6:59
    7."Home, Home on the Range"Neil Young1:44
    8."Straight Answers" (dialogue)Bill Murray0:21
    9."Highway 61 Revisited"Bob Dylan3:21
    10."I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)"Four Tops2:43
    11."Ode to Wild Bill #3"Neil Young0:40
    12."Keep on Chooglin'"Creedence Clearwater Revival7:39
    13."Ode to Wild Bill #4"Neil Young0:32
    14."Purple Haze"The Jimi Hendrix Experience2:47
    15."Buffalo Stomp Refrain"Neil Young with the Wild Bill Band of Strings0:53

What cool find!  I've never seen it on vinyl. Congrats!
    Thanks Brian. I'd never seen it before either, and I've been looking for a looooong time. I never thought I'd find one and it was bugging me that there was a gap between Live Rust and Hawks & Doves :)

(Tim Rogers)
    edited December 2017
    He has listed Chrome Dreams (I), Homegrown and Toast, but they are not streamable. Maybe after the paywall goes up. 
    The unreleased albums on the Archives timeline so far are:

1969 - Early Daze (Crazy Horse)
    1973 - Roxy (Crazy Horse)
    1974 - Homegrown
    1975 - Odeon-Budokan
    1976 - Chrome Dreams
    1977 - Oceanside/Countryside
    1977 - Boarding House
    1982 - Solo Trans
    1986 - Garage (Crazy Horse)
    1989 - Live Freedom
    2000 - Toast (Crazy Horse)
    2012 - Alchemy (Crazy Horse)

No sign of Times Square, Islands In The Sun, and a few others, but still plenty to look forward to!
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    edited December 2017
    What do we know about these albums? Any with just songs that hasn't shown up elsewhere?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    I don't think any of them will be made up completely of unreleased songs. Like Hitchhiker, most of the 70s albums will have been split up and used on other records. There are no official tracklists out there, but there's a lot of speculation and guesswork online. The majority of it seems to have "released on ___ album" after most of the song titles.

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    I don't think any of them will be made up completely of unreleased songs. Like Hitchhiker, most of the 70s albums will have been split up and used on other records. There are no official tracklists out there, but there's a lot of speculation and guesswork online. The majority of it seems to have "released on ___ album" after most of the song titles.
    Thanks. Yes, that's what I thought and have read. 

Curious about Toast, and never heard of Alchemy. 

I've always felt that Neil Young had one flawless masterpiece of an album left in him after Broken Arrow, maybe it's one of those.
    Toast is from sessions with Crazy Horse from just before Are You Passionate. When it was ditched, some of the songs ended up on AYP, but with a very different vibe.

Alchemy is a live album from the Psychedelic Pill tour. It was described on Neil's website as the final part of a trilogy (including Live Rust and Weld). There was a logo/cover art on his website at one point, but it was replaced with a crossed-out version. I think they're both in this thread somewhere. It's definitely one I'd love to hear as that was a great tour.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited December 2017
    goldrush said:
    Toast is from sessions with Crazy Horse from just before Are You Passionate. When it was ditched, some of the songs ended up on AYP, but with a very different vibe.

Alchemy is a live album from the Psychedelic Pill tour. It was described on Neil's website as the final part of a trilogy (including Live Rust and Weld). There was a logo/cover art on his website at one point, but it was replaced with a crossed-out version. I think they're both in this thread somewhere. It's definitely one I'd love to hear as that was a great tour.
    Yes. Toast as a title sounds rawer than Are you Passionate so that sounds interesting (AYP is great ofc, and the songs + Gateway of Love were great on that tour -- my first)

Don't care about PP. But a live album from that time sounds interesting enough.

Too bad there's not a bunch of B-sides from the Mirroball Session(s).
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

• Old ways (1985). Never go full-country

• Landing on water (1986). I like this album. And the cover. A return to form. And I feel like the 80s production even adds to it. The first half of the album is stronger than the second though.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Old ways (1985). Never go full-country
    Sacrilege!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    goldrush said:

I remember the tour poster had alchemy on it and during that tour they were filming with the similar props from the Live Rust and Arc/Weld tours. I have been wanting this for so long. my first and only NY and Crazy Horse concert.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2