Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Official Neil Young Thread

1565759616295

Comments

  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,118
    Cannot wait for tonight
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,118
    On the road with my buddy  headed to the hotel and then the show
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,299
    Question for Neil experts:
    Was Heart of Gold originally a bridge for Man Needs a Maid, or is that just a tasty medley on Live at Massey Hall-71
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,118
    Anybody know what time Neil and the boys took the stage last night?
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    Updates from the NYA Times-Contrarian:

    - Archives Volume 2 cds and book are due to be released in May 2019. No blu-ray this time as it "is no longer viable for economic reasons"

    - Original Release Series vinyl boxes will continue. The Geffen releases will also be coming out, but were delayed until a deal with Geffen could be made.

    - The Boarding House videos are coming soon, but no date yet 

    - Homegrown will be coming soon, but no date yet
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,848
    goldrush said:
    Updates from the NYA Times-Contrarian:

    - Archives Volume 2 cds and book are due to be released in May 2019. No blu-ray this time as it "is no longer viable for economic reasons"

    - Original Release Series vinyl boxes will continue. The Geffen releases will also be coming out, but were delayed until a deal with Geffen could be made.

    - The Boarding House videos are coming soon, but no date yet 

    - Homegrown will be coming soon, but no date yet
    Oh WOW!, the release of Homegrown will have me jumping off the walls!  :smiley:
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen










  • goldrush said:
    Updates from the NYA Times-Contrarian:

    - Archives Volume 2 cds and book are due to be released in May 2019. No blu-ray this time as it "is no longer viable for economic reasons"

    - Original Release Series vinyl boxes will continue. The Geffen releases will also be coming out, but were delayed until a deal with Geffen could be made.

    - The Boarding House videos are coming soon, but no date yet 

    - Homegrown will be coming soon, but no date yet
    Did the first volume of NYA not sell enough, or is it solely people not buying physical media anymore that makes them skip DVD/BD?

    I should have jumped on buying his re-issues and sold of the originals I have, I feel... as it seems everything will be re-released.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    goldrush said:
    Updates from the NYA Times-Contrarian:

    - Archives Volume 2 cds and book are due to be released in May 2019. No blu-ray this time as it "is no longer viable for economic reasons"

    - Original Release Series vinyl boxes will continue. The Geffen releases will also be coming out, but were delayed until a deal with Geffen could be made.

    - The Boarding House videos are coming soon, but no date yet 

    - Homegrown will be coming soon, but no date yet
    Did the first volume of NYA not sell enough, or is it solely people not buying physical media anymore that makes them skip DVD/BD?

    I should have jumped on buying his re-issues and sold of the originals I have, I feel... as it seems everything will be re-released.
    It says that The Archives site is capable of streaming all of the Hi-Res content that would have been on the BDs, so maybe the BD version of the box set didn’t sell enough to justify doing both.

    Neil did say in a recent interview that the Volume 2 box set was going ahead because the record company asked him to do it, so maybe there won’t be a Volume 3, 4, or 5.

    There was also a mention today of putting together the best sounding Ragged Glory reissue possible at some point too.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • I will buy all the 90s reissues. I promise you all this. Only have Mirrorball I think...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    I will buy all the 90s reissues. I promise you all this. Only have Mirrorball I think...
    The reissues so far all sound really great, I can’t wait for the 90s boxes. The only 90s album I don’t have on vinyl is Year Of The Horse, but that’s impossible to find now.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    There’s a brief update on ‘Alchemy’ on the Contrarian page today. Looks like a 2019 release could be happening



    Theres also an an interesting note from John Hanlon about ‘Songs For Judy’, a 23 track double album from Neil’s 1976 solo tour. I don’t think this one has been mentioned anywhere before


    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,972
    goldrush said:
    There’s a brief update on ‘Alchemy’ on the Contrarian page today. Looks like a 2019 release could be happening



    Theres also an an interesting note from John Hanlon about ‘Songs For Judy’, a 23 track double album from Neil’s 1976 solo tour. I don’t think this one has been mentioned anywhere before



    hell yeah!!! I can't wait for Alchemy. I saw the Horse on that tour and they killed it!!!

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186



    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,972
    goldrush said:



    Nice. is this available to listen to on the website?

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:



    Nice. is this available to listen to on the website?
    Not yet, but 'Campaigner' has surfaced:



    A bootleg of this has been around for a while called 'The Bernstein Tapes', but it will be great to get a cleaned up version. I saw someone mention a November 30 release, but I'm not sure where that came from
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,972
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:



    Nice. is this available to listen to on the website?
    Not yet, but 'Campaigner' has surfaced:



    A bootleg of this has been around for a while called 'The Bernstein Tapes', but it will be great to get a cleaned up version. I saw someone mention a November 30 release, but I'm not sure where that came from


    vinyl release out December 14th

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-young-songs-for-judy-album-1976-live-744282/

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 2,368
    goldrush said:



    What do the numbers right in front of the song titles mean?
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013 •
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Chicago II 2018
  • Just released:


    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    Just released:


    I love how raw this version is. It's beautiful and brutal at the same time.

    There's a note with the video on the Contrarian as well (Neil refers to Daryl as his wife for the first time)


    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,848
    Just released:


    Fantastic.  Neil voice sound great here as does that fine old Gretsch Falcon!  And the message still rings loud and clear.  Right on, Neil.
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen










  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 16,352
    brianlux said:
    Just released:


    Fantastic.  Neil voice sound great here as does that fine old Gretsch Falcon!  And the message still rings loud and clear.  Right on, Neil.
    Always very moving.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    Looks like Oceanside Countryside is on its way soon as well


    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,848
    I just added this book to my Neil Young Book collection, Neil Young FAQ, by Glen Boyd.  It's chock full of interesting articles about Neil and loads of details about releases etc., and it has a very cool Forward written by Thrasher, the wonderful whom ever who oversees the ThrasherWheat.org site.  Very cool book!


    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen










  • brianlux said:
    I just added this book to my Neil Young Book collection, Neil Young FAQ, by Glen Boyd.  It's chock full of interesting articles about Neil and loads of details about releases etc., and it has a very cool Forward written by Thrasher, the wonderful whom ever who oversees the ThrasherWheat.org site.  Very cool book!


    Hmm.... Gonna order this one as a christmas present for my dad maybe then.... He's read Shakey and Waging Heavy Peace
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    brianlux said:
    I just added this book to my Neil Young Book collection, Neil Young FAQ, by Glen Boyd.  It's chock full of interesting articles about Neil and loads of details about releases etc., and it has a very cool Forward written by Thrasher, the wonderful whom ever who oversees the ThrasherWheat.org site.  Very cool book!


    That looks pretty cool Brian, I'll have to check it out
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 5,186
    Trawling through some of the responses to questions on the 'Letters To The Editor' page of the Contrarian, you can find the following info:

    • 'Alchemy' will be a triple vinyl set, possibly released next year
    • The takes have been chosen for 'Boarding House', along with the videos that go with them
    • The vinyl lacquers are being checked for 'Odeon Budokan', and it could be coming soon
    • 'Are You Passionate' is "a sleeper. We are looking at it, and deciding what to do"
    • "Interstate and Don't Spook The Horse belong with 'Ragged Glory' and we are remastering that one" J Hanlon will be remastering it and has "found all of the original analogue masters"
    • Somebody asked about videos of the Mirrorball tour - "The Mirrorball songs are all part of a film from Dublin that has never been seen. We are formatting that now and it will probably appear in the Hearse Theater"
    • There is something "in production" from The Ducks shows
    • They have film of the complete Greendale concert and it is slated for review. As is Acoustic Greendale.
    • TOAST is complete, except for the videos
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,848
    goldrush said:
    Trawling through some of the responses to questions on the 'Letters To The Editor' page of the Contrarian, you can find the following info:

    • 'Alchemy' will be a triple vinyl set, possibly released next year
    • The takes have been chosen for 'Boarding House', along with the videos that go with them
    • The vinyl lacquers are being checked for 'Odeon Budokan', and it could be coming soon
    • 'Are You Passionate' is "a sleeper. We are looking at it, and deciding what to do"
    • "Interstate and Don't Spook The Horse belong with 'Ragged Glory' and we are remastering that one" J Hanlon will be remastering it and has "found all of the original analogue masters"
    • Somebody asked about videos of the Mirrorball tour - "The Mirrorball songs are all part of a film from Dublin that has never been seen. We are formatting that now and it will probably appear in the Hearse Theater"
    • There is something "in production" from The Ducks shows
    • They have film of the complete Greendale concert and it is slated for review. As is Acoustic Greendale.
    • TOAST is complete, except for the videos

    I think Are You Passionate got unfairly panned by some critics- there's some great stuff on that album.

    Remastered Ragged Glory?  I would LOVE that on a double vinyl album!  The original LP which I bought when it came out is too long for one LP, not long enough for two and thus the grooves are very thin and the sound, for an album with so much potential kick, is too weak.  With the added songs, remastering and (likely) two records, this could be KILLER! 

    Mirror Ball film.  OH YEAH!
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen










  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,972
    goldrush said:
    Trawling through some of the responses to questions on the 'Letters To The Editor' page of the Contrarian, you can find the following info:

    • 'Alchemy' will be a triple vinyl set, possibly released next year
    • The takes have been chosen for 'Boarding House', along with the videos that go with them
    • The vinyl lacquers are being checked for 'Odeon Budokan', and it could be coming soon
    • 'Are You Passionate' is "a sleeper. We are looking at it, and deciding what to do"
    • "Interstate and Don't Spook The Horse belong with 'Ragged Glory' and we are remastering that one" J Hanlon will be remastering it and has "found all of the original analogue masters"
    • Somebody asked about videos of the Mirrorball tour - "The Mirrorball songs are all part of a film from Dublin that has never been seen. We are formatting that now and it will probably appear in the Hearse Theater"
    • There is something "in production" from The Ducks shows
    • They have film of the complete Greendale concert and it is slated for review. As is Acoustic Greendale.
    • TOAST is complete, except for the videos


    great news.

    Can't wait for Alchemy and hopefully a Mirrorball video release.... I would even take a live album from that tour........... anything!!!

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,118
    God Bless Uncle Neil
  • COME TO EUROPE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Sign In or Register to comment.