Options

***Lollapalooza Fanviews Here, Aug 5, 2007***

Comments

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    Couple of fyi's.

The fireworks were set off at Soldier Field. It was Bears Family Night. Perfect timing.

And

http://www.suntimes.com has a lollapalooza photo gallery up. Couple of ed, couple of pj fans.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 474
    Here's my experience for the day...
    Got out of bed at 2AM grabbed my rain jacket and assorted line garb and headed down to the line-up area. We got to the line by 3AM.
    Slight rain sprinkle but we hunkered down by a line that started right next to the road. A few cars drove by with the usually taunting and called us freaks. By 5 AM the rain was pouring down. Everyone was soaked and cold. A few people bailed... A few of us took the blue trash liners out of the garbage cans and gave ourselves an extra layer of protection from the pelting rain and wind. It was actually pretty cold for a while! Around 6ish security moved us in to the staging area away from the street.
    Fast forward-- 11ish Gates open- walk through staging area and full stride/run to the left sdie of stage. {Damn do I need to work out more!} Feeling my age down the second steps... the festival workers and crew were all calling names and such as we whizzed by....

Secured our spot for the day. Mike's side on the rail directly in front of the people doing sign language interpretation. My new friends and I spread out along the ground and took a well deserved nap.
    We had a great group of new friends all around us- Sharing water, ice and stories all day! We stayed on the ground chilling until Kings of Leon took the stage. Awesome set- My first time seeing them live. Some young girls were offering us money for our rail set-up and we all laughed at them! Just then Ed takes the stage with KOL! As if I'm giving up my position!

Fast Forward- A friend that didn't want rail / didn't put in the time, brought us water, gotus posters, and brought us the little fans- Nice job mate!

During KOL and MMJ we noticed the sign language interpreters in front of us have set-lists and lyrics to help them. Made friends with them and recieved a dinner roll from one of their provided meals. Nourishment well needed!

Minutes before PJ takes the stage we get a glimpse of the set list and see the first three songs- "We gasp- Damn, We are going to get killed up here!"

The Show-
    Ed's guitar was the one fucked up- Listen to Corduroy- The New Blue Gibson?
    Conversations earlier determined that this was his new favorite guitar?
    We also noticed that Matt's drum set was Black and not the traditional Gold we had seen in the past... New gear overall contributing to some of the sound problems?

Fast Forward- Crazy Mary- Ed pops down from the stage and watches the bottle work down the front rail of the crowd... I get the bottle and get killed from behind with the bottle hitting my face- Ed's makes a face like damn that had to hurt...I pull forward and take a drink and pass it on down to my new friends from AZ, Australia, and the UK...Everyone gets a drink as the bottle works it way to the right.... First time for me getting the bottle- I was stoked! The guy to the right of me and I high five afterwards!

As were are rocking out and jumping around the crowd surge was evident. Got a little rough at times but we worked the over-wrap-arm technique to keep them out. Worked too hard to give it up!

Last bit...(Scored a pick from Mike via his tech.) Security friend from beginning hooked me up! My only negative comment from the night is What the fuck... with the cameras? Blocked a lot of the view- They could have done some thing better with their postion... the guy that was on the left, him and his cord holder helper took the set-lists from Mike & Jeff- WTF? Don't they have zoom lenses or something?

Just want to say hey to Amy, Sandra, and Emily- Thanks for a great memorable Day!

Set list from the Sign language folks- http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/tmlaabs/IMG_1543.jpg
  • Options
    London_Jam wrote:
    Agreed! Would hate to have seen these guys during the Euro shows!
    Its funny you should say that. There was a thread about american crowds, and how they are so quiet and don't dance.

I responded in agreement, saying that I don't understand how people just stand still.

That said, this isbt about dancing, crowd surfing, or even moshing. Its about people being selfish, rude, and even dangerous.

People throwing cups, full bottles of water, each other!:)
    Moreso, people having no consideration for others around them. This one girl came into our area during mmj, and stood directly in front of the person next to me. I mean, ruhht in front. The girl next to me was a bit short, very polite, and there was MAYBE 6 inches between her and the person in front of her to begin with.

And she stood right in front of her. The only way I could explain this better is like this.

Imagine you are at a regular seated show, someone comes down and stands in front of you and your seat, between you and the seat in front of you.

But this was happening constantly.

So its not about being excited, dancing wildly, screaming, or singing along. All of which I do.
    But I couldn't because we couldn't move.

Its more about shoving, falling down drunk, throwing things, people accidentally burning people with their cigarrettes because they aren't paying attention, and constant talking throughout the show.

If that's what happens at the Euro shows, then I'm glad I didn't go, but I doubt it.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    salt_creep wrote:
    My plan was to make it to the first row (for bragging rights). I didn't quite make it but I got damn close.... I'd say at one point I was about 4 rows back in the center of the stage.

If it wasn't for "small town" I'm not sure I'd be alive right now... the crowd was pretty extreme until then.

They started off with "Why Go" and the people in the front went fucking ape shit

"Do the Evolution" and "even flow" were pobably the most violent... I'm not complaing... that's what you expect in the front, right?

But the show was great.... lots and lots of energy. Lots of good smiles from Stone and Ed (those were the two I could see best...Oh, and Boom) I could tell they were prety happy to be getting such a good responce rom such a large crowd.

Ed talked a lot... That's never really a bad thing. He just had a lot of shit to say, I guess. His "BP/Amaco" little ditty was a huge highlite for me. Stuck in my head all night.

We didn't get gas from a BP n the way home... we gave that money to some other evil corporate monster.

Other highlites were the "Lukin/Not for you" shortly after... (I think ed fucked up the vocals during Lukin)

The fireworks during the intro to WWS... the crowd singing "I'm still alive" while waiting for an encore and then Ed came out and sang with us... Tey played the best version of "Life wasted" that I've heard them do and the crowd definatley responded..... Oh, and the fucking rockin' the free world at the end was probably the most perfect way to end three days of music under the hot sun in the middle of one big ass and breezy city...

Chicago has a pretty cool atmosphere to it I think.

I don't know... I had a blast.... I was drenched and voiceless by the end of it (I still think it ended too soon... I coul've lasted in that crowd for another half hour or so if I needed to)

My only complaints were some of the crowd surfing/kick-your-ass moshing dipshits that were there... don't get me wrong, I expected it and it was worth it... but god-damn, I got kicked in the head during crazy mary and I thought "who the fuck is crowd surfing to crazy mary?"

That... and the fact that my ears are STILL ringing and the show has been over for over 12 hrs.

All in all though, the whole LOlla experience (Ben Harper, Black keys, Muse, Yeah yeah Yeahs, and all the rest) it wa the best concert I'ver ever been to... hands down. I've never had more fun at a show

Were most of the moshers wearing their baseball caps backwards?

:)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,319
    Kraven wrote:
    Got in as doors opened this morning and stood/sat from 1115-1015, a long fucking day. It was well worth it, I hung out with some Jamily members, South Caroliners,a Chicagoan and sang duets when Pearl Jam was playing with a nice Canadian girl. It was a long day, it was nice to see Eddie come out with Kings of Leon, although I would have rather seen him play Makes No Difference with MMJ. The set was short but rockin' Why Go was a great start, and it just kept on getting more intense. I was 2 rows on Stone's side, and I didn't hear one solo of Mike's. The live mix was terrible. I hope theres a boot or something so I can hear Mike tear it up. The crowd was to frat-boyish,drunk and stupid for me tonight though. I am forever happy now that Pearl Jam doesn't play a lot of GA shows, assholes slamming into me, trying to take my spot that I earned by waking up at 6:45 this morning and getting kicked in the head by crowd surfers sucks.

Apparently Ed played Kidzapalooza, details anyone?

NO KIDZ stage for ed everyone thought that but it didn't happen we were at that stage waiting on saturday ,unless he showed up on sunday during the day ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mozman88mozman88 Posts: 38
    chatdean wrote:
    6 rows from McCready and he seemed to be having major issues with his guitar, sounded dirty too much distortion... Ed didn't seem happy with it and went to say something to him, Mike meesed with some dials... Ed glanced over a couple times because it didn't seem fixed... and McCready sat out quite a few parts...

other than that... everything was Excellent

Awesome setlist

I think Mike had that same shit going on Thursday night too....I thought for sure it wouldn't happen twice. I was a little disappointed Sunday, he never got dialed in right.

I accidentally broke my 3-day wrist band Saturday night trying to stretch it out because it was too effing tight.....they wouldn't replace it and told me I had to buy a one day pass.....which is bullshit if you ask me, I had the broken band, my ticket stub, receipt, and credit card I bought it on..... One of the two I was with was able to stretch theirs enough to slide it off so I had to take a lap ALL THE WAY around Grant Park, had them slip it through the fence, and after sweating my ass off like no other I finally made it back to the gate.

2000 - Indianapolis(8/18)
    2003 - Champaign(4/23), Indianapolis(6/22),
    Columbus(6/24), Hershey(7/12)
    2006 - Chicago (5/16), Chicago (5/17), Cincinnati (6/24)
    2007 - Vic -Chicago (8/2), Lollapalooza - Chicago (8/5)
  • Options
    the Chadthe Chad Posts: 65
    Just got back to Austin! Chicago is a great city, it was a perfect weekend..man so happy I went!

Cubs game Friday, Wrigley Field, Eddie singing Take Me Out the Ballgame, met some girls who were at the VIC Show sat with them the rest of the game drinking beers soaking in the atmosphere

Lolla Sunday, brought 3 friends from Austin who had never been to a PJ show...man I am proud, tell you why...

After seeing great acts all weekend, and I should mention my friends our music snobs, I was honestly nervous, they might no get it...

Tell you what, this show for PJ was a defining moment, with no acts to follow and probably half the crowd not your 10 Club, posterbuying, set list obsessed fan

Pearl Jam brought IT!
    They looked great, I mention this because it is kind of odd to see PJ up on large screens all over Grant Park. Matt was on fire, the fireworks from next door were priceless during his solo, Stone and Mike just killing it..they showed why they are the best live act currently, period...

I love this band, and I think a whole bunch of new folks do as well
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    meme wrote:
    :D
    :) to you as well
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    daryl jam wrote:
    hahahahah that some funny shit right there! sounds familiar...
    seriously....that is what i did and what happened. no shit.
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Sudoku wrote:
    Too many crowd surfers, but oh well. It was very hot too, I was soaked before long...

Can't wait for the next "real" show!

I was about 20 ft from the barrier, toward the right side if you're facing the stage, and I found the crowd surfers really annoying and distracting. Especially when one landed next to me and spent a frighteningly long time on the ground. He was heaving and appeared to be hyperventilating and I thought I might have to miss the rest of the show getting him out of the crowd. He assured us he'd be ok, and he was, eventually-- but it kinda took something away from the experience, to see all these stupid kids putting themselves in harm's way. I couldn't focus on the music the way I usually do with this sh*t going on.

I think that was my last festival.
  • Options
    oug13oug13 Posts: 17
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    I do, though, look forward to a regular Pearl Jam show. with Assigned seats.
    It was hard to enjoy an otherwise great show and great moment.
    Same, on the seats....

Watched a little from behide the stage in the artist lounge....
    Then move to the side and could only see Matt's sticks & Boom's heading moving...

All in all, a good Lollapalooza also enjoyed seeing The Cribs & Ghostland Observatory

2006 Lollapalooza, had a better over all line up.
  • Options
    Just back from the fantastic weekend in Chicago-- totally exhausted, but everything was well worth it. Agree with earlier posts that the shows were great, between the two, great mix of songs and crowds and energy. Thanks for all who have posted videos and links.

Weirdest moment from last night: during the drum solo/fireworks, some random guy walks past me carring three beers, stops in front of me (I'm not wearing a PJ shirt, not near the front) and says "Matt Cameron's a jerk". Then walks away.
    "You look like you'd be sticky" --

Indianapolis 1998, Indianapolis 2000, Alpine 2003, Indianapolis 2003, Toledo 2004, Grand Rapids 2004, St Louis 2004, Kitchener 2005, London 2005, Hamilton 2005, Chicago I 2006, Grand Rapids 2006, Cleveland 2006, Cincinnati 2006 The Vic 2007, Lollapalooza 2007, Chicago I and II 2009
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    You are too old, let it go.

yeah, im guessing 9 outta 10 people complaining about the rowdiness of the crowd were moshing and crowd surfing to nirvana and pearl jam 10-15 years ago the first time they played lolla.
  • Options
    IndySarah wrote:
    Just back from the fantastic weekend in Chicago-- totally exhausted, but everything was well worth it. Agree with earlier posts that the shows were great, between the two, great mix of songs and crowds and energy. Thanks for all who have posted videos and links.

Weirdest moment from last night: during the drum solo/fireworks, some random guy walks past me carring three beers, stops in front of me (I'm not wearing a PJ shirt, not near the front) and says "Matt Cameron's a jerk". Then walks away.
    "matt cameron's a jerk".........did you reply with, "matt cameron's a drummer"
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    It has nothing to do with being old, its about the disrespectful people around us.

There was a group of three girls next to us who talked throughout the entire show. I now know who each of them is hooking up with, how much weed they smoked, and how much they love "the older pj", as they kept saying.

Then, as we had our spot since noon, it was really nice to see people, drunk, slam their way into a wall of people. The people in front of me got knocked down several times, as did I, because people were trying to sneak down front. And there was no room to begin with.

By the time they got to education, the crowd died. No idea what they were hearing. Which is fine because not everyone is as big a fan as most of us, but at least be respectful to those who want to hear the show. When you hear a song you don't know, its not time for a chit chat session. And if you are going to talk to the people around you, at least try to not include the whole audience in the convo.

Then even flow was next, and the crowd surfing resumed. Which in itself is fine. If its done right. People lift you up and its a crowd effort to keep you going. You don't jump on the shoulders of someone you don't know to try to climb on the crowd. But there were at least a dozen by us, several of which landed on our heads. No need for a heel to the skull.

When ed got to the no more war part, and was talking about thomas young, I heard several people say, "shut the fuck up." ok, so you don't agree with his politics, but be respectful of the people who want to hear.

I had enough when I heard the boos for thomas young. Not overwhelming, but enough to piss me off.

I know one of my friends was elbowed in the face, causing her eye to swell shut.

Personally, I was there since the gates opened at 11, made it to the pj stage by noon, and ended up staying there.

It was too hot for my taste, got a litte sunburned, so the pushing and closeness of the crowd exacerbated the prob.

I thought pj was good, but out of the 25 some shows I've seen, I thought it was average. But I got to hear education, so that helped. And the no more war thing, and everyone on stage at the end, that was fun. But 12 hours in that sun and heat was too much for me. I'm not very sun-friendly.

Overall, I'd rather be at a regular pj show, with a regular pj crowd. That doesent make me old. Just experienced.

I'm glad some people had a good time. I hate to put a damper on anyone elses great experience. Once I moved away from the crowd I was in, we were ok, but I was so hot and tired by then it didn't help much.

And the crowd was definitely rude. Most of the people who were 10c or had pj shirts were polite and respectful of the people around them, but there were a lot of really rude people. And anytime I see pushing and people getting knocked down, I get worried. People get hot and drunk and angry and I didn't want it to escalate and watch people get hurt. Or stepped on, which is why I'll stick with 10c shows from now on.

wow man, where were you? i didnt see anything half that bad going on... i wonder if those 3 girls were the ones next to us at muse. they were smoking up the whole muse set and talking about how they lvoed muse. the one was kinda cute though so i didnt mind em ;)
  • Options
    wow man, where were you? i didnt see anything half that bad going on... i wonder if those 3 girls were the ones next to us at muse. they were smoking up the whole muse set and talking about how they lvoed muse. the one was kinda cute though so i didnt mind em ;)

I was Stones side, about 50 feet back, but had to retreat. Im guessing it would have been better had I been either closer or further away.

If I was way up front, there would have been no place for the pushers to go. Further back, nobody pusing.

Which is exactly what I did.

Again, I am used to rowdy crowds, and actually, in come cases prefer them.

But there was so much going on, and so many people causing problems, I seriously couldnt enjoy the show.

But I liked PJ's performance.

I'll add this.....why do they feel the need to schedule this during what is typically the hottest week in Chicago? Temp was 88, with 65-75% humidity, thats like 100 degree heat index.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    JUST GOT HOME

what an experience !!!!!!!!!

too fuckin hot lol

stood on the hill by the wine tent

good show crowd sucked around us besides a few diehards

trix and xman,, we had a fun day eh???
  • Options
    DontGotIDDontGotID Posts: 137
    I thought the setlist was really good. Im glad they worked some less common ones in there. Why Go was a kickass opener, defintly got the crowd pumped. I thought every member of the band had a little trouble with their sound until pretty far into the first set. Someone might have mentioned this but i think Life Wasted was played in a lower key, but that just could be me. I thought it was a nice change though.

As for where i was sitting, i didnt camp out really. I did see KOL which was awesome and MMJ, but wasnt up too close. Like 15 minutes before PJ i found i nice spot a little to the left of the sound board and it was on a little incline so i could see the stage perfectly. Id say i was about 60-70 ft away from the stage which was fine. Overall everything was perfect. Great weekend.
  • Options
    Left Cincinnati at 9:00, parked in garage at Michingan Ave. around 2:00, got to AT&T stage , posted up about 30 rows back for the fist act (no clue who they were, Rappers), moved up between sets, slowly and respectfully while people were filing out, KOL set was about 20 back, about 15 back or MMJ, that was about as far as we got, on stones side, it could ahve been 10, either way it was a great view, the crowd surfers got on most peoples nerves, it was hot and sweaty, ran out of water around the middle of MMJ set, dying of thirst and heat........It rocked, wouldn't change anything......the opener set the stage.......got back to garage about 11:30 (chi-town time) got to Cincy around 6:00 am (cincy time), left for work at 7:00 set out on a job site in 95 degree weather til 5:00 pm.....still worth every second......
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    I was Stones side, about 50 feet back, but had to retreat. Im guessing it would have been better had I been either closer or further away.

If I was way up front, there would have been no place for the pushers to go. Further back, nobody pusing.

Which is exactly what I did.

Again, I am used to rowdy crowds, and actually, in come cases prefer them.

But there was so much going on, and so many people causing problems, I seriously couldnt enjoy the show.

But I liked PJ's performance.

I'll add this.....why do they feel the need to schedule this during what is typically the hottest week in Chicago? Temp was 88, with 65-75% humidity, thats like 100 degree heat index.

Sounds like you were a few in front of us, we would see surfers coming and immediately about 6 of us guys would throw them to the security guards.....

We eventually literally formed a wall and said fuck you to anyone who tried to sneak by, didn't care if your brother's sister's aunt's nephew's cousin' who was in from Antartica was "up there holding my spot", nobody got through, unless of course, we knew you had been in front of us when we got there and we made exceptions......I think most of the surfers came your way.....
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,085
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    JUST GOT HOME

what an experience !!!!!!!!!

too fuckin hot lol

stood on the hill by the wine tent

good show crowd sucked around us besides a few diehards

trix and xman,, we had a fun day eh???

I had a blast the whole weekend and being on the hill was great, there was the breeze and the view of the band was pretty good too. the lack of passion by the crowd doesn't bother me, it is what it is and they paid their money too so nothing you can do about that.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    I had a blast the whole weekend and being on the hill was great, there was the breeze and the view of the band was pretty good too. the lack of passion by the crowd doesn't bother me, it is what it is and they paid their money too so nothing you can do about that.

HEY WHAT WAS THE CD U GOT LAST NIGHT ?? THE VIC?
  • Options
    Left Cincinnati at 9:00, parked in garage at Michingan Ave. around 2:00, got to AT&T stage , posted up about 30 rows back for the fist act (no clue who they were, Rappers), moved up between sets, slowly and respectfully while people were filing out, KOL set was about 20 back, about 15 back or MMJ, that was about as far as we got, on stones side, it could ahve been 10, either way it was a great view, the crowd surfers got on most peoples nerves, it was hot and sweaty, ran out of water around the middle of MMJ set, dying of thirst and heat........It rocked, wouldn't change anything......the opener set the stage.......got back to garage about 11:30 (chi-town time) got to Cincy around 6:00 am (cincy time), left for work at 7:00 set out on a job site in 95 degree weather til 5:00 pm.....still worth every second......

Holy dogshit!! Thats crazy!! I'm impressed.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    rvprvp Posts: 779
    this all sounds great to me. being around cool pearl jam fans during a hot summer day at Lolla to see pj rock or… being around disrespectful people at a crazy hot day in hell at Lolla to see pearl jam play with technical glitches. it’s all the same to me. out here 17.000 kilometers away.

and for those of you who wonder… 17.000 km is a loooong distance.

:)
    fuera de este mundo
  • Options
    It really was a great concert experience...

I'm not too sure I would change anything if I could, except maybe a longer set
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I made it a point to see as many bands as i could over the weekend . Then at 3:45 yesterday, it was off to the AT&T Stage. Even checked out Kidzapalooza . No Ed sighting Saturday or Sunday , but did get to hear Perry Farrell and Peter Di Stefano playing with some kick ass young musicians. Given the amount of syrupy slop masquerading as music today, I pray the School of Rock kids keep rockin' . Met Perry and Peter and thanked them for Porno For Pyros and Perry for Lolla.

Kings were amazing. Ed's guest spot was an large exclamation point . Don't know if PETT ( People for the Ethical Treatment of Tambourines) is amused but I got tired just watching Ed demolish two more. I too would've loved an ED/MMJ guest spot , but MMJ and the Chicago Youth Symphony together were awesome.

Now to the main course. PJ gets a 10 , maybe a Spinal Tap 11, , on a scale of one to TEN , for energy . I given them an eight for content. Any show featuring "Education" , a pointed request to boycott BP Amoco with an accompanying Improv like "Don't Go BP Amoco " , " No More " , and even "Not For You" and "Lukin" ( as opposed to , say, "Last Kiss" and "Jeremy" ) meant this wasn't a typical play the radio hits festival set. Good stuff. Ben Harper singing on "No More" was incredible. I saw him at MSG in 03 and actually preferred Lolla more. The passion of the singers and the song...priceless . Also , great EXCLAMATION POINT /free for all closer in RITFW . Boom was the lucky one, surrounded as he is by keyboards, on the encore. Most of the stage looked like a fire drill in progress.

I could talk about the numerous idiots without a village who should form a Polyphonic Spree sized band called Assoles and ( or with ) Elbows , but then I'll be called a spoiled, humourless , sixty-eight show ,and counting , 48 year old . So I'll quit while I'm behind.

Saw , met , and got reacquainted alot of really great PJ fans. Jolie and Sara, you ladies are the bomb. Thanks for the pleasure of your company . You and PJ made my weekend .

Laura , Carol , and everyone at Wishlist, THANK YOU for a great event Saturday! Congrats for all your successes to dates and here's wishing y'all every success in the events and years to come!

Finally , to one guy whose name I didn't get ,but whose stories of the famous 26 ' F Alpine Valley show, were great for state of mind...cheers!

We All Walk The Long Road !!
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    HEY WHAT WAS THE CD U GOT LAST NIGHT ?? THE VIC?

it was the complete vic show and some bonus stuff at the end of the second cd, including one song which I always wanted because it's really such a rarity.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    We were up on the hill behind the wine area and I just have to say kudos to all of you guys who toughed it out at the front in that heat all day. Watching the field, especially during Alive, was a sight to behold!

The only regret I have is not being a little closer. After our first two PJ shows being surrounded by die hard fans it was kind of wierd being pretty much the only ones singing and freaking out (except for the handful of other PJ fans that were up there). I think I actually offended some of the people around me with my "OMFG" comment when Education started (it was rude, I know, but it just slipped out!).

As for the show itself, I thought it was great. There were definitely some sound issues, but they didn't sound terrible and I thought the setlist was great for a festival. Any show with Education is a 10 in my book : )
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    Tangerine wrote:
    We were up on the hill behind the wine area and I just have to say kudos to all of you guys who toughed it out at the front in that heat all day. Watching the field, especially during Alive, was a sight to behold!

The only regret I have is not being a little closer. After our first two PJ shows being surrounded by die hard fans it was kind of wierd being pretty much the only ones singing and freaking out (except for the handful of other PJ fans that were up there). I think I actually offended some of the people around me with my "OMFG" comment when Education started (it was rude, I know, but it just slipped out!).

As for the show itself, I thought it was great. There were definitely some sound issues, but they didn't sound terrible and I thought the setlist was great for a festival. Any show with Education is a 10 in my book : )

sounds like you were not far from me.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    chatdeanchatdean Posts: 16
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    It has nothing to do with being old, its about the disrespectful people around us.

There was a group of three girls next to us who talked throughout the entire show. I now know who each of them is hooking up with, how much weed they smoked, and how much they love "the older pj", as they kept saying.

Then, as we had our spot since noon, it was really nice to see people, drunk, slam their way into a wall of people. The people in front of me got knocked down several times, as did I, because people were trying to sneak down front. And there was no room to begin with.

By the time they got to education, the crowd died. No idea what they were hearing. Which is fine because not everyone is as big a fan as most of us, but at least be respectful to those who want to hear the show. When you hear a song you don't know, its not time for a chit chat session. And if you are going to talk to the people around you, at least try to not include the whole audience in the convo.

Then even flow was next, and the crowd surfing resumed. Which in itself is fine. If its done right. People lift you up and its a crowd effort to keep you going. You don't jump on the shoulders of someone you don't know to try to climb on the crowd. But there were at least a dozen by us, several of which landed on our heads. No need for a heel to the skull.

When ed got to the no more war part, and was talking about thomas young, I heard several people say, "shut the fuck up." ok, so you don't agree with his politics, but be respectful of the people who want to hear.

I had enough when I heard the boos for thomas young. Not overwhelming, but enough to piss me off.

I know one of my friends was elbowed in the face, causing her eye to swell shut.

Personally, I was there since the gates opened at 11, made it to the pj stage by noon, and ended up staying there.

It was too hot for my taste, got a litte sunburned, so the pushing and closeness of the crowd exacerbated the prob.

I thought pj was good, but out of the 25 some shows I've seen, I thought it was average. But I got to hear education, so that helped. And the no more war thing, and everyone on stage at the end, that was fun. But 12 hours in that sun and heat was too much for me. I'm not very sun-friendly.

Overall, I'd rather be at a regular pj show, with a regular pj crowd. That doesent make me old. Just experienced.

I'm glad some people had a good time. I hate to put a damper on anyone elses great experience. Once I moved away from the crowd I was in, we were ok, but I was so hot and tired by then it didn't help much.

And the crowd was definitely rude. Most of the people who were 10c or had pj shirts were polite and respectful of the people around them, but there were a lot of really rude people. And anytime I see pushing and people getting knocked down, I get worried. People get hot and drunk and angry and I didn't want it to escalate and watch people get hurt. Or stepped on, which is why I'll stick with 10c shows from now on.

You are absolutely right... spot on about everything you could have been standing right next to me, but you were on the other side.

I was on Mike's side... six rows back or so and 15 feet from the center rail. I also got their at 11:00... I ran out of water at 5:30 because I was sharing with everyone around us. My wife and I stood their with about 6 other PJ fans the entire day... One guy made a drink run and picked up 15 bottles of water and 15 bottles of Vitamin Water (saved my life) We were set...

We also retreated to the grassy area by the fence and bathrooms, left right in the middle of Alive, the behavior was horrible... it was a bum rush to the front, crowd surfing that really wasn't because it was people just throwng themselves on top of their friends and anyone around them. I had to leave, maybe I'm too old, but I am old enough to take myself out of a ridiculous situation.
    Chatdean
    Alpine Valley6/26/98 Alpine Valley6/27/98 Chicago6/29/98 Alpine Valley10/08/00 Chicago10/09/00 Chicago6/18/03 Alpine Valley6/21/03 Chicago5/16/06 Chicago5/17/06
    Summerfest 06
    Wrigley Field 2013