Options

***Lollapalooza Fanviews Here, Aug 5, 2007***

cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
edited August 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Main Set:
Why Go, Corduroy, Save You, Do The Evolution, Small Town, Severed Hand, EDUCATION, Even Flow, Given To Fly, WWS, Improv: Don't go BP/Amaco, Lukin, Not For You, Daughter/ABITW part 2 (short), State of Love and Trust, Wasted Reprise, Alive

Encore1: Betterman/Save it For Later (short), Crazy Mary, Life Wasted, RVM

Encore2: No More w/ Ben Harper, RITFW w/ Ben Harper and a bunch of people on stage

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.
"I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    I saw them thursday at the Vic, eddie friday at the cubs game, then friday eddie with ben harper, then eddie tonight with kings of leon, then pearl jam for an amazing set to close out 3 days at lolla.

I dont think I need to give a review. its been a good weekend, lets put it that way.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    EDUCATION! My holy grail and I got it tonight! Just got back, I need to get to bed as we have to leave by 6:30am tomorrow. But thank you thank you Pearl Jam. Me and my daughter had an awesome time! Maybe more tomorrow when we get home.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    chatdeanchatdean Posts: 16
    6 rows from McCready and he seemed to be having major issues with his guitar, sounded dirty too much distortion... Ed didn't seem happy with it and went to say something to him, Mike meesed with some dials... Ed glanced over a couple times because it didn't seem fixed... and McCready sat out quite a few parts...

other than that... everything was Excellent

Awesome setlist
    Chatdean
    Alpine Valley6/26/98 Alpine Valley6/27/98 Chicago6/29/98 Alpine Valley10/08/00 Chicago10/09/00 Chicago6/18/03 Alpine Valley6/21/03 Chicago5/16/06 Chicago5/17/06
    Summerfest 06
    Wrigley Field 2013
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I saw them thursday at the Vic, eddie friday at the cubs game, then friday eddie with ben harper, then eddie tonight with kings of leon, then pearl jam for an amazing set to close out 3 days at lolla.

I dont think I need to give a review. its been a good weekend, lets put it that way.

what song did ed do with the king of leon? lucky bastards wish I was there!!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    clockistotimeclockistotime Los Angeles, CA Posts: 249
    slow night, so long was the KOL song. grab job too. everyone got super excited. he was hitting 2 tambourines together in typical ed fashion... he broke 'em right away and continued to smash the crap out of them throughout the whole song while singing/trading verses with the singer.
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • Options
    I was lucky to be somewhat on the stage due to an inside connection. I was on Mike's side....hanging out on the balcony...living a dream with my guys 20 feet away from me... I have the setlist on camera and will post pics, hopefully, tomorrow (I have a great photo of Jeff making changes to the list....my hubby took most of the pics as I was too busy...singing). They were true to their setlist but did leave off Comatose, Black and BOR for the last encore.... and, obviously, ended with RITF.

We checked into the Hard Rock Hotel for the day but headed home after the concert (and a drink at the hotel)....it looked like a great party was going on after the show. I did meet Ben Harper after the concert and shared an elevator ride (at the Hard Rock) with Amy Winehouse before the concert.

I would have loved to stay and party but, alas, I have motherly duties and my husband has to work in the morning...

...my birthday was Friday and this was the BEST birthday present!!!

L
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • Options
    ...grant park garage about 3:30, walked a few blocks and decided to make sure I had my ticket. Nope....

........my spot I was going to be in for the next few hours around 2nd base.
    Northwest of the stage on a 45 degree angle. Good spot cause the infield was elevated.

I heard kings of leon from my back. Lying on the blue tarp. I did get up when eddie came on stage and trashed a couple of tambourines. At least he didnt cut his head open like at the UC in 06.

Yawn....

PJ starts around 8:09 or 8:10. Kicked ass. I took pictures and video. I would have got all of lukin but some a** h*** bumped into me during the last few notes. Will post soon. Will post links as well.
    *peace*

Livedead aka shawn dyokas
    Soldier Field 1995
    Chicago 2003
    Alpine Valley 2003
    Chicago May 16 & 17 2006
    MilwaukeeFest, 2006 June 30
    Lollapalooza 2007
  • Options
    SudokuSudoku Posts: 9
    It's my own fault for not arriving earlier and getting a better spot, so I had to resort to watching the video screen most of the time. Sound was still quite loud, though some of the guitars sounded weird (perhaps like the above poster said about Mike). Too many crowd surfers, but oh well. It was very hot too, I was soaked before long.

Rearviewmirror was great.

RITFW with that whole entourage on stage was fun and powerful. Is PJ partying with Dennis Rodman at Crobar or Excalibur right now?? I was too sweaty to even go somewhere for food after the show. Just went right home

Not for You - always great

Don't Go to BP Amoco - did anyone else think this sounded like "Aneurysm" by Nirvana? But I agree, FUCK BP for wanting to dump more waste into Lake Michigan

Can't wait for the next "real" show!
  • Options
    Great show tonight! Not a full length set, but after all day in the humid 90 degree weather it seemed like the perfect length. Stood just in front of the soundboard and even though it was packed, everybody behaved well. Met people from Milwaukee, Toronto, Austin, and Baltimore. All great people. At the end of the show obviously everybody saw Rodman, but I thoght I also saw Lance Armstrong up there also. Anybody else?
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    whome13whome13 Posts: 72
    Yep, Armstrong was there. I didn't notice him but my friend said it was him. Chris Chelios and Jeremy Roenick were also right in front of the rail as well.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Got in as doors opened this morning and stood/sat from 1115-1015, a long fucking day. It was well worth it, I hung out with some Jamily members, South Caroliners,a Chicagoan and sang duets when Pearl Jam was playing with a nice Canadian girl. It was a long day, it was nice to see Eddie come out with Kings of Leon, although I would have rather seen him play Makes No Difference with MMJ. The set was short but rockin' Why Go was a great start, and it just kept on getting more intense. I was 2 rows on Stone's side, and I didn't hear one solo of Mike's. The live mix was terrible. I hope theres a boot or something so I can hear Mike tear it up. The crowd was to frat-boyish,drunk and stupid for me tonight though. I am forever happy now that Pearl Jam doesn't play a lot of GA shows, assholes slamming into me, trying to take my spot that I earned by waking up at 6:45 this morning and getting kicked in the head by crowd surfers sucks.

Apparently Ed played Kidzapalooza, details anyone?
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    chatdeanchatdean Posts: 16
    Kraven wrote:
    Got in as doors opened this morning and stood/sat from 1115-1015, a long fucking day. It was well worth it, I hung out with some Jamily members, South Caroliners,a Chicagoan and sang duets when Pearl Jam was playing with a nice Canadian girl. It was a long day, it was nice to see Eddie come out with Kings of Leon, although I would have rather seen him play Makes No Difference with MMJ. The set was short but rockin' Why Go was a great start, and it just kept on getting more intense. I was 2 rows on Stone's side, and I didn't hear one solo of Mike's. The live mix was terrible. I hope theres a boot or something so I can hear Mike tear it up. The crowd was to frat-boyish,drunk and stupid for me tonight though. I am forever happy now that Pearl Jam doesn't play a lot of GA shows, assholes slamming into me, trying to take my spot that I earned by waking up at 6:45 this morning and getting kicked in the head by crowd surfers sucks.

Apparently Ed played Kidzapalooza, details anyone?

AGREED
    Chatdean
    Alpine Valley6/26/98 Alpine Valley6/27/98 Chicago6/29/98 Alpine Valley10/08/00 Chicago10/09/00 Chicago6/18/03 Alpine Valley6/21/03 Chicago5/16/06 Chicago5/17/06
    Summerfest 06
    Wrigley Field 2013
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    I loved the Pearl Jam part of the show.

I hated the crowd. Too many people, too much pushing, too many people who showed up later only to try to slam their way forward. I ended up moving back after being there since noon.

I will not attend another festival.

I do, though, look forward to a regular Pearl Jam show. with Assigned seats.

I did meet some great people. But there was so much shoving, crowd surfing, people landing on my head, and it was so damn hot.......

It was hard to enjoy an otherwise great show and great moment.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    The Vic looks better
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    I loved the Pearl Jam part of the show.

I hated the crowd. Too many people, too much pushing, too many people who showed up later only to try to slam their way forward. I ended up moving back after being there since noon.

I will not attend another festival.

I do, though, look forward to a regular Pearl Jam show. with Assigned seats.

I did meet some great people. But there was so much shoving, crowd surfing, people landing on my head, and it was so damn hot.......

It was hard to enjoy an otherwise great show and great moment.

You are too old, let it go.
  • Options
    London_JamLondon_Jam Posts: 173

Agreed! Would hate to have seen these guys during the Euro shows!
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    We had a blast at lolla! all three days!
    Yesterday was spectacular!
    It was my daughter's first Pearl Jam concert and she had the experience of a lifetime.
    We were watching the show from the side of the crowd, right by the rail, far left and and some very kind fans invited us to move up closer toward the stage. Security made sure my daughter and her friend were ok during the show and kept people from moving in front of them and blocking their view of the stage and kept people from crowding in on them. we were fortunate enough to move about half way down the side directly underneath the screen, thanks again to security and several kind fans.
    we could see the stage from the side perfectly and what we couldnt see on stage, we were able to see on the screen.
    The fireworks erupting during the show was perfect! My daughter asked if there were always fireworks at pearl jam shows :)
    I told her yeah, but not the ones you can see ;)
    they played crazy mary, she calls it the "take a bottle song", and its her absolute favorite. She asked me all day if they would and i told we'd have to wait and see.
    At one point Ed ran down the side where we were standing to high-five the crowd, she got a high-five.
    and she didnt get crushed by people trying to get closer as everyone around us formed a human barricade to protect her and her friend. She lasted in the heat of the crowd almost to the very end, we moved back out to the hill area after RVM.
    Special thanks to the security guys who took care to keep my daughter and her friend safe and to the woman from Los Angeles that helped us keep people from crowding in on them. My daughter says "you're a nice lady" and you are :)
    She already can't wait for her next show :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    wow....where do i begin.

i was up front in my recliner, rocking out. during each song i would check the pit and type to a few people and share some experiences. the temperature seemed to be ok, i keep my thermostat at 80 but in the basement it is always more pleasant.

at times i would get thirsty so my wife would get us a margarita.

the only bad time i had was when my daughter would come running into the room and jump on me.........got kicked in the head.

when the show ended i went to bed. i will post some pics later.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    NickrandNickrand Posts: 140
    Good show. Beautiful setting.

It was a bit of a hike from the entrance to the stage. Looked like most people who went to the stage right away didn't leave it once they got there.

There were four bands before Pearl Jam. I enjoyed The View and Kings of Leon the most. My Morning Jacket doesn't do much for me. I understand their guitar work is good live, but their songs are boring and the singer has no charisma.

Glad PJ played Education again after playing it at The Vic. Eddie messed up the lyrics, but I hope it's a song they'll play more often.

Stone had a great solo at the end of Not For You.

Nice "Hey, I'm Still Alive" chant during the encores.

I could tell there were some technical problems during the set, but they really weren't that noticeable where I was standing.

The huge mass of people, coupled with the beautiful Chicago skyline and weather, helped to make it a great evening despite these issues.
    '00 Detroit; '03 Detroit I MSG II Boston III; '04 Toledo Grand Rapids; '05 Thunder Bay Kitchener London; '06 Arnhem Barcelona Marseille Prague Berlin; '07 Chorzow London Duesseldorf Copenhagen Nijmegen Lollapalooza; '08 EV LA II EV SD I DC MSG I/II EV Montreal I/II EV Toronto I/II EV Chicago I/II; '09 EV Memphis EV Atlanta I/II Berlin Manchester London Sydney Brisbane Auckland Christchurch; '10 Noblesville Cleveland Dublin Belfast Berlin; '11 EV Detroit EV St. Louis EV Minneapolis PJ20 I/II Winnipeg '12 Berlin I/II Stockholm Oslo '13 London Dallas '14 Berlin Stockholm Oslo Detroit
  • Options
    minifastcarminifastcar Mpls Posts: 27
    Good thing I didn't go. I am 8 months pregnant. It sucked missing out on the Vic and Lolla... but with the heat and the crowds and crowd surfing it would have been a bad idea. I can't wait until the next time they come around so I CAN GO!!!!!
    1992 Tinley Park, 1995 Chicago (Mike Watt), 1995 Milwaukee, 1995 Chicago, 1998 Chicago, 1999 Tibetan Freedom Concert, 2000 Chicago, 2003 St Paul, 2003 Chicago, 2006 Chicago, 2006 St Paul, 2006 Los Angeles, 2009 Chicago 1, 2009 Chicago 2, 2011 Minneapolis (EV), 2011 East Troy 1, 2011 East Troy 2, 2013 Chicago, 2014 Moline, 2014 St Paul, 2016 Chicago 1, 2016 Chicago 2, 2016 Seattle (TOTH), 2018 Chicago 1, 2018 Chicago 2, 2022 Chicago (EV), 2022 St Louis
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    From a fan standpoint, of course I liked the Vic show better, but this was a special show for me as I took my three year old son to the show. Now before anyone gets on me for being a bad parent, read first: We only went for the PJ set and We had a spot in the cool VIP Suites off to the side of the stage. He had the time of his life. There is just something cool about watching my young son sing out the words to Betterman as if he was a fan for years. We skipped out for the last couple of songs to get to the car quickly and it worked perfectly. A great time had by all, but I wouldn't go again unless I had passes to a suite as it looked pretty miserable at times out on the field.

Cheers!
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Oops double post. See below.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    ajedigecko wrote:
    wow....where do i begin.

i was up front in my recliner, rocking out. during each song i would check the pit and type to a few people and share some experiences. the temperature seemed to be ok, i keep my thermostat at 80 but in the basement it is always more pleasant.

the only bad time i had was when my daughter would come running into the room and jump on me.........got kicked in the head.

:D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    all in all a great time. I agree that we fanclub members get used to the great tickets at the tour shows, so this gen admission was a flashback to my younger days of camping out early, back when I never got a good seat.

anyway VERY hot a sticky, only short breezes that were few and far between. GREAT performance as always by the band, I thought the sound was just a hair off. It IS a festival and they do with what they have to work with.

I had doubts of the enjoyment of a festival, but I'm so glad I went. Some fireworks went off during the 1st song or 2, it was great timing, and a great belated b-day present for me as I was born on the fourth of July and didn't get to a display this year. Definitely I was supposed to be there. I hadn't realized how much I missed them since May06.

SO GREAT JUST BEING THERE, FEELING THE MUSIC AND THE MOOD, HAVING HAD THEM PLAY FOR ME!! :)

THANK YOU PEARL JAM!!
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    It has nothing to do with being old, its about the disrespectful people around us.

There was a group of three girls next to us who talked throughout the entire show. I now know who each of them is hooking up with, how much weed they smoked, and how much they love "the older pj", as they kept saying.

Then, as we had our spot since noon, it was really nice to see people, drunk, slam their way into a wall of people. The people in front of me got knocked down several times, as did I, because people were trying to sneak down front. And there was no room to begin with.

By the time they got to education, the crowd died. No idea what they were hearing. Which is fine because not everyone is as big a fan as most of us, but at least be respectful to those who want to hear the show. When you hear a song you don't know, its not time for a chit chat session. And if you are going to talk to the people around you, at least try to not include the whole audience in the convo.

Then even flow was next, and the crowd surfing resumed. Which in itself is fine. If its done right. People lift you up and its a crowd effort to keep you going. You don't jump on the shoulders of someone you don't know to try to climb on the crowd. But there were at least a dozen by us, several of which landed on our heads. No need for a heel to the skull.

When ed got to the no more war part, and was talking about thomas young, I heard several people say, "shut the fuck up." ok, so you don't agree with his politics, but be respectful of the people who want to hear.

I had enough when I heard the boos for thomas young. Not overwhelming, but enough to piss me off.

I know one of my friends was elbowed in the face, causing her eye to swell shut.

Personally, I was there since the gates opened at 11, made it to the pj stage by noon, and ended up staying there.

It was too hot for my taste, got a litte sunburned, so the pushing and closeness of the crowd exacerbated the prob.

I thought pj was good, but out of the 25 some shows I've seen, I thought it was average. But I got to hear education, so that helped. And the no more war thing, and everyone on stage at the end, that was fun. But 12 hours in that sun and heat was too much for me. I'm not very sun-friendly.

Overall, I'd rather be at a regular pj show, with a regular pj crowd. That doesent make me old. Just experienced.

I'm glad some people had a good time. I hate to put a damper on anyone elses great experience. Once I moved away from the crowd I was in, we were ok, but I was so hot and tired by then it didn't help much.

And the crowd was definitely rude. Most of the people who were 10c or had pj shirts were polite and respectful of the people around them, but there were a lot of really rude people. And anytime I see pushing and people getting knocked down, I get worried. People get hot and drunk and angry and I didn't want it to escalate and watch people get hurt. Or stepped on, which is why I'll stick with 10c shows from now on.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    My plan was to make it to the first row (for bragging rights). I didn't quite make it but I got damn close.... I'd say at one point I was about 4 rows back in the center of the stage.

If it wasn't for "small town" I'm not sure I'd be alive right now... the crowd was pretty extreme until then.

They started off with "Why Go" and the people in the front went fucking ape shit

"Do the Evolution" and "even flow" were pobably the most violent... I'm not complaing... that's what you expect in the front, right?

But the show was great.... lots and lots of energy. Lots of good smiles from Stone and Ed (those were the two I could see best...Oh, and Boom) I could tell they were prety happy to be getting such a good responce rom such a large crowd.

Ed talked a lot... That's never really a bad thing. He just had a lot of shit to say, I guess. His "BP/Amaco" little ditty was a huge highlite for me. Stuck in my head all night.

We didn't get gas from a BP n the way home... we gave that money to some other evil corporate monster.

Other highlites were the "Lukin/Not for you" shortly after... (I think ed fucked up the vocals during Lukin)

The fireworks during the intro to WWS... the crowd singing "I'm still alive" while waiting for an encore and then Ed came out and sang with us... Tey played the best version of "Life wasted" that I've heard them do and the crowd definatley responded..... Oh, and the fucking rockin' the free world at the end was probably the most perfect way to end three days of music under the hot sun in the middle of one big ass and breezy city...

Chicago has a pretty cool atmosphere to it I think.

I don't know... I had a blast.... I was drenched and voiceless by the end of it (I still think it ended too soon... I coul've lasted in that crowd for another half hour or so if I needed to)

My only complaints were some of the crowd surfing/kick-your-ass moshing dipshits that were there... don't get me wrong, I expected it and it was worth it... but god-damn, I got kicked in the head during crazy mary and I thought "who the fuck is crowd surfing to crazy mary?"

That... and the fact that my ears are STILL ringing and the show has been over for over 12 hrs.

All in all though, the whole LOlla experience (Ben Harper, Black keys, Muse, Yeah yeah Yeahs, and all the rest) it wa the best concert I'ver ever been to... hands down. I've never had more fun at a show
  • Options
    jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    The show was awesome. I loved hearing EDUCATION live. Great set list. Great songs. Seeing Eddie run back and forth in front was great. Seeing EVERYONE on stage at the end was awesome.

We got that about 10:45, waiting for the gates to open. We were about 3/4 of the way to the street from the gates. Not long after we got into the park, I was given the "ok" to RUN to the front to get a good spot. I acquired a spot on the rail to the left of the stage, about the middle of the side banner. It seemed a really good spot, as all the middle was taken. We proceeded to sit, stand, or leave individually for the next 9 hours. The crowd around was very good. Mostly couples, seeing PJ again after many times before. We took turns saving space. It was a fun experience, but not one I want to do again anytime soon.

Thank you Pearl Jam for coming to Chicago and Lollapalooza.
  • Options
    Tough to compare this show to a regular PJ show. We've seen the band in the U.S. and in London and Madrid - and even up front with a rough PJ crowd is a lot more in synch with the band and the other PJ fans than a music fest crowd where alot of people just didn't really care about the band, or the other fans - but were there to party with friends and get a little crazy.

Seeing PJ is always great - not the best set list or performance we've seen, but the music was just fine, and the band on the lakefront on a hot Chicago night was great. The fireworks were a nice touch as well.

We met some great fans who came in from Maine and Buffalo for the show, and heard some good music from My Morning Jacket and Kings of Leon waiting for 8 hours til the band played. Free sauna to boot (celebs in LA pay top dollar to sit in the kind of sweltering heat we got for free - I think I lost 5 pounds!!)

No regrets - just wish people were a little less selfish / rud - but hey, I wish for that every day anyway.
  • Options
    daryl jamdaryl jam Posts: 104
    ajedigecko wrote:
    wow....where do i begin.

hahahahah that some funny shit right there! sounds familiar...
    angels dance on a pin head, just to make room for you and i....
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 13
    Overall i thought the show was great. I was about fourty rows back and a little east. The bands energy was incredible! There were a few young douche bags throwing cups up into the crowd. With that size of a crowd people were obviously getting hit. Before i could reach for for his neck another guy stepped in and almost smacked the shit out of him. Sure enough being the young sissies they are the whole group of em eventually moved from our area. Crowd surfing is fine but throwing things into a crowd is bullshit!!
    I thought the fireworks the skyline and the humid night only improved the show. Downtown Chicago has to be the most beautiful big city in the country.