Off the deep end... (U.S. pulls out of Paris Agreement)

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It's a Chinese hoax, obviously.
    Trump said it so it must be true.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    I don't subscribe to the climate change cult.

The climate has changed for the entire existence of the planet.   Are there things we can do to make the world better?  Sure.  But I shouldn't be forced to buy a certain lightbulb when it is scorched earth in China to mine the materials.
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

The climate has changed for the entire existence of the planet.   Are there things we can do to make the world better?  Sure.  But I shouldn't be forced to buy a certain lightbulb when it is scorched earth in China to mine the materials.

Yeah, it's always someone else's problem to fix.
    Start caring about the federal reserve and I'll start caring about some supposed climate change.
    Climate Change has always existed!
    Climate Change doesn't exist!

doublethink much?
    There is climate change, and there is extremist fanatical "climate change" where a bunch of people get rich on the taxpayer's expense. 
    I have absolutely no doubt someone is getting rich off  of propagating the idea of global warming.  Somebody somewhere is getting rich off of anything you can name.  But describing real climate change/ real global warming as "extremest fanatical"?  Now that is extremest and fanatical.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

unsung said:
    unsung said:

Start caring about the federal reserve and I'll start caring about some supposed climate change.

doublethink much?
    There is climate change, and there is extremist fanatical "climate change" where a bunch of people get rich on the taxpayer's expense. 
    I have absolutely no doubt someone is getting rich off  of propagating the idea of global warming.  Somebody somewhere is getting rich off of anything you can name.  But describing real climate change/ real global warming as "extremest fanatical"?  Now that is extremest and fanatical.
    Better for people to get rich saving the planet, rather than people getting rich by destroying it. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

unsung said:
    unsung said:

doublethink much?
    Better for people to get rich saving the planet, rather than people getting rich by destroying it. 
    Yes!  Much better option!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:

unsung said:
    unsung said:

doublethink much?
    There is climate change, and there is extremist fanatical "climate change" where a bunch of people get rich on the taxpayer's expense
    Haha. You sure have been drinking the cool-aid. 
    As much as I know and have said that local weather is not the same as global climate, I can't help but continue to be astounded by the bizarre weather we are having here out west.  As I write this in the middle of the day, 3:00 PM, June 11, 2017, the temperature outside is 49 degrees F (9.44 C) and it is hailing!  In mid-June!  In my almost 21 years here in El Dorado County, I cannot ever remember it raining let alone cold and hailing.  And according to NOAA's seven day forecast,  the high temperature this coming Saturday will be at least 35 degrees F warmer (i.e hot) (NOAA has been very accurate in it's weather forecasts).

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Just 5 days ago I posted about how my heat kicked on in the middle of the night. Saturday, 2 days later, I had all the windows in the house open and was sweating profusely all day long.  Last night I caved and put my a/c units in.
    Just 5 days ago I posted about how my heat kicked on in the middle of the night. Saturday, 2 days later, I had all the windows in the house open and was sweating profusely all day long.  Last night I caved and put my a/c units in.
    Our extremes are bumping up here as well. Now it appears that by Saturday, our temps will have jumped up 48 degrees F in one week.  Crazy.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    Our extremes are bumping up here as well. Now it appears that by Saturday, our temps will have jumped up 48 degrees F in one week.  Crazy.
    that's every week in my neck of the woods. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I might have to try that fry an egg on the sidewalk thing this weekend.  Sacramento is supposed to hit 108!  Shitballs o' fire!

Dang!

...and it continues through next week!

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    6th Great Mass Exctinction in full swing... we are the planets first super predator... swallowing up everything in our path... laying waste to the environment and animal kingdom... extraction... exploitation... 

The aristocrat choir sings, "what's the ruckus"?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    God Bless Neil Young

https://youtu.be/IFhJ5wlPl4k
    my2hands said:
    6th Great Mass Exctinction in full swing... we are the planets first super predator... swallowing up everything in our path... laying waste to the environment and animal kingdom... extraction... exploitation... 

The aristocrat choir sings, "what's the ruckus"?
    Yep.  Pearl Jam, Self Titled, side one, track two.  We're doing it.

Talk about hot:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/20/15837804/phoenix-extreme-heat-american-airlines-flight-cancel-science

It’s so hot in Phoenix, planes are physically unable to fly

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Hi-ho the dairio the US stands alone. How pathetic. Syria has joined leaving the US dragging bottom.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/politics/syria-paris-climate-agreement/index.html
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    tbergs said:
    Hi-ho the dairio the US stands alone. How pathetic. Syria has joined leaving the US dragging bottom.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/politics/syria-paris-climate-agreement/index.html

American exceptionalism
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    that just confirms to trump and his supporters that they are indeed #1 and the smartest of the bunch. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

What fools we look like to the rest of the world. 

The greatest nation on earth?  Greatest at what? Major embarrassment? 

No, more like major shame.

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    brianlux said:

You know what I find to be shameful and embarrassed of? Of those that continue to post about this "hollow" agreement without having read it. If you truly cared about the environment and actually read the agreement, I would guess you are more likely to be outraged about its worthlessness not having value to the paper it was drawn on. Please be honest with yourself, read the agreement and tell me what good it does? 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    This reminds me of the fact that the TPP more and more seems to be regarded by the players specifically as a way to exclude the US going forward. Not because they wanted to, but because Trump is leaving them no choice. The rest of the world is realizing that it could be in their long term collective best interests to leave the US in the dust. I don't get the impression that Trump understands that the world is willing to do this, nor what that could mean to America's future. It could end up being seen in future history books as the most identifiable signal of the true beginning of America's decline. The Paris Agreement withdrawal I think is acting as yet another signal to the TPP members that they need to move on without the US. Long term economic goals of other nations and investors will often no longer include America as a major player. It's a huge turning point IMO..... I guess it remains to be seen if this damage Trump is causing can be reversed once (if) sanity is returned to the nation.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited November 2017
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

You know what I find to be shameful and embarrassed of? Of those that continue to post about this "hollow" agreement without having read it. If you truly cared about the environment and actually read the agreement, I would guess you are more likely to be outraged about its worthlessness not having value to the paper it was drawn on. Please be honest with yourself, read the agreement and tell me what good it does? 
     No need to be  shameful of me, JC.  I know what it says, I know it falls WAY short of what we need and I know why I am ashamed that we are the only nation that has not signed it.
    Post edited by brianlux on

PJ_Soul said:
    This reminds me of the fact that the TPP more and more seems to be regarded by the players specifically as a way to exclude the US going forward. Not because they wanted to, but because Trump is leaving them no choice. The rest of the world is realizing that it could be in their long term collective best interests to leave the US in the dust. I don't get the impression that Trump understands that the world is willing to do this, nor what that could mean to America's future. It could end up being seen in future history books as the most identifiable signal of the true beginning of America's decline. The Paris Agreement withdrawal I think is acting as yet another signal to the TPP members that they need to move on without the US. Long term economic goals of other nations and investors will often no longer include America as a major player. It's a huge turning point IMO..... I guess it remains to be seen if this damage Trump is causing can be reversed once (if) sanity is returned to the nation.
    Greece, Rome, Great Britain, US.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Syria agrees to sign on to the agreement leaving orange bafoon & America as the only country not in it heck he's not even on the guest list for the next summit...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

No need to be  shameful of me, JC.  I know what it says, I know it falls WAY short of what we need and I know why I am ashamed that we are the only nation that has not signed it.
    I trust that you read the non-sense but I'll bet that most of those that post about the topic havent bothered. What Im saying is that the fervor over exiting the agreement is disproportionate to any actual good it can possibly do.

Correct me where Im wrong with regard to the agreement, I'll sum it up for those that didnt read it.
    It is a non-binding, non-enforceable (wink and nod) agreement that relied on the "polluters" (every nation!) to set their own rules, set their own benchmarks, set their own time frames to abide by their own rules, and then to "police" themselves throughout the process and report the progress back to the Conference of Parties, in order to achieve these:
    (a)Holding the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2 °C above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels, recognizing that this would significantly reduce the risks and impacts of climate change;
    (b)Increasing the ability to adapt to the adverse impacts of climate change and foster climate resilience and low greenhouse gas emissions development, in a manner that does not threaten food production;
    (c)Making finance flows consistent with a pathway towards low greenhouse gas emissions and climate resilient development.

http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2015/cop21/eng/l09r01.pdf

JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

I trust that you read the non-sense but I'll bet that most of those that post about the topic havent bothered. What Im saying is that the fervor over exiting the agreement is disproportionate to any actual good it can possibly do.

Correct me where Im wrong with regard to the agreement, I'll sum it up for those that didnt read it.
    It is a non-binding, non-enforceable (wink and nod) agreement that relied on the "polluters" (every nation!) to set their own rules, set their own benchmarks, set their own time frames to abide by their own rules, and then to "police" themselves throughout the process and report the progress back to the Conference of Parties, in order to achieve these:
    (a)Holding the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2 °C above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels, recognizing that this would significantly reduce the risks and impacts of climate change;
    (b)Increasing the ability to adapt to the adverse impacts of climate change and foster climate resilience and low greenhouse gas emissions development, in a manner that does not threaten food production;
    (c)Making finance flows consistent with a pathway towards low greenhouse gas emissions and climate resilient development.

ya gotta start somewhere. you think exiting is no big deal? especially one of the biggest polluters on the globe? getting everyone to the table is the first stage of progress. but trump left the table entirely. because he believes coal is the future. SMFH
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

ya gotta start somewhere. you think exiting is no big deal? especially one of the biggest polluters on the globe? getting everyone to the table is the first stage of progress. but trump left the table entirely. because he believes coal is the future. SMFH
    Yes, this is how I see it too.  The agreement is a start, not an end-all.  It is a way for every country to acknowledge the problem.  And it can be strengthened.  At this point, doing something is better than doing nothing or, as in the case of the U.S., going in the wrong direction all together.  

• Just JC’s version of leadership and not understanding politics.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, this is how I see it too.  The agreement is a start, not an end-all.  It is a way for every country to acknowledge the problem.  And it can be strengthened.  At this point, doing something is better than doing nothing or, as in the case of the U.S., going in the wrong direction all together.  
    It's all or nothing with some.....then they vote for Trump, which is of course worse than nothing, because any environmental progress made in the past 50 years is being reversed by this administration.

Then the Trump voter and supporter has the nerve to lecture us. It's nonsense and should be ignored.