Donald Trump

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    all you people saying we'll have trump for 8 years. you still think so? nearly 70% disapproval rating? or do you somehow think only democrats are being polled??
    Since I am guilty of pessimism and cynicism about the popularity of Trump and the white nationalist movement, I guess I should reply.

Yesterday was a good day.  But just like the crazy body-slamming Trumpies that won in those legislative contests, this is just two states that, as JC points out, were won by Hillary.  That said, between last night, and the numbers, Trump supporters should (but won't) calm down on being confident about 2020. Several months ago, I referred to Trump as "beloved" and the American people as "ecstatic" that Trump is president.  OK...I've come off of that ledge.  But I don't think that means Trump is certain to not get a second term.  His people are dedicated and white nationalism is still gaining steam.

This morning I heard a good quote on "Good Morning America," of all places...my wife had it on while I was making breakfast in the kitchen and not really paying attention.  Someone suggested that "Trumpism doesn't work without Trump" (I assume overreaction to last night's results meaning Trump is a sitting duck, which I don't quite buy).  But he followed it up with something like "I'm not sure Trumpism works without Hillary."  The more time goes on and I see the right still talking about Hillary (and still assuming the left loves her and is upset that she's not president as opposed to that Trump IS) the more I wonder if they'll lose too much of the apathetic/middle if they don't have her to villainize.  If the Democrats are able to nominate someone that is not so universally-hated,* Trump's path to victory becomes steeper.

*Of course, my faith in that is a bit shaken.

Anyway, I'm not as sure as I was that we have him for eight years, but we could doubt that possibility at our own peril.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    OnWis97 said:
    all you people saying we'll have trump for 8 years. you still think so? nearly 70% disapproval rating? or do you somehow think only democrats are being polled??
    Since I am guilty of pessimism and cynicism about the popularity of Trump and the white nationalist movement, I guess I should reply.

Yesterday was a good day.  But just like the crazy body-slamming Trumpies that won in those legislative contests, this is just two states that, as JC points out, were won by Hillary.  That said, between last night, and the numbers, Trump supporters should (but won't) calm down on being confident about 2020. Several months ago, I referred to Trump as "beloved" and the American people as "ecstatic" that Trump is president.  OK...I've come off of that ledge.  But I don't think that means Trump is certain to not get a second term.  His people are dedicated and white nationalism is still gaining steam.

This morning I heard a good quote on "Good Morning America," of all places...my wife had it on while I was making breakfast in the kitchen and not really paying attention.  Someone suggested that "Trumpism doesn't work without Trump" (I assume overreaction to last night's results meaning Trump is a sitting duck, which I don't quite buy).  But he followed it up with something like "I'm not sure Trumpism works without Hillary."  The more time goes on and I see the right still talking about Hillary (and still assuming the left loves her and is upset that she's not president as opposed to that Trump IS) the more I wonder if they'll lose too much of the apathetic/middle if they don't have her to villainize.  If the Democrats are able to nominate someone that is not so universally-hated,* Trump's path to victory becomes steeper.

Anyway, I'm not as sure as I was that we have him for eight years, but we could doubt that possibility at our own peril.
    Some good points.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

Some good points.
    I also see the low approval numbers, but the unwavering Republican support for Trump which makes me pessimistic about him being outed. The national polls may show disapproval, but I don't think that necessarily correlates to someone who won't vote for him for the first time or again, especially Republicans. If he is nominated, his attitude and ability mean very little. All he needs is that R next to his name and he'll get another 60 million votes. The only hope is that more people turn out in opposition next time and can unite on a candidate without ceding votes to 3rd parties.

It's very premature to celebrate his low approval numbers.

https://www.axios.com/78-of-republicans-approve-of-trump-2504855073.html 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    2020 is a long time from now.

2018 needs to be the Democratic focus.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    JimmyV said:

Exactly the focus has to be on 2018 if democrats gain senate&congressional seats Orange baffoon will have he's hands tied and zero accomplished hell he has the majority in both houses and has accomplished nada ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited November 2017
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

Some good points.
    I also see the low approval numbers, but the unwavering Republican support for Trump which makes me pessimistic about him being outed. The national polls may show disapproval, but I don't think that necessarily correlates to someone who won't vote for him for the first time or again, especially Republicans. If he is nominated, his attitude and ability mean very little. All he needs is that R next to his name and he'll get another 60 million votes. The only hope is that more people turn out in opposition next time and can unite on a candidate without ceding votes to 3rd parties.

It's very premature to celebrate his low approval numbers.

https://www.axios.com/78-of-republicans-approve-of-trump-2504855073.html 

A horrible candidate beat him by 3 million in pop vote last year. Last night shows that competent candidates can defeat Trumpism even in a good economy....imagine what that looks like after the inevitable market correction and all the other nonsense we put up with on a daily basis in a few years (if he's not forced out prior).

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    OnWis97 said:

very good points. thank you. I wonder how long they're going to keep shouting Hillary's name from the rooftops. it's ridiculous. it's been a YEAR since she lost the election. Jesus. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    edited November 2017
    JimmyV said:

YES.  Trump is what Trump is.  Go play Senate defense and try to close the gap in the house.

HughFreakingDillon
    said:
    OnWis97 said:

very good points. thank you. I wonder how long they're going to keep shouting Hillary's name from the rooftops. it's ridiculous. it's been a YEAR since she lost the election. Jesus. 
    What, you don't remember when all of Obama's voters spent a year talking about Romney?  Come on, it was four years after the year they spent talking about McCain.  Or when W's supporters bashed Kerry well into 2007?

It's really kinda scary.  It's like we're watching a football game between teams in blue and red.  The red team had a huge win a year ago and that's all that matters.  Embarrassing the country on a daily basis..."but Hillary!"

SAD!
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • MayDay10 said:
    benjs said:
    Wobbie said:
    why we got canucks in the trump thread? :tired_face:
    Because we share the longest border in the world with you and we’re not naive enough to think that we’re exempt from some madness flowing up here? Because our social and economic trends are historically linked with yours to a degree? Because we have empathy? Because we’re engaged citizens who recognize we live in a global environment? Pick any, and remember that you’re on a discussion board where there are no borders. 
    lol, read a newspaper in Canada compared to the US rags.  There is so much world news that is heavily reported that we don't hear much about or get exposed to at all.  Canadians seem so much more aware of the outside world, while Americans seem to be very US-centric (other than when we focus on an 'evil' country to rattle sabers at like Iran, Iraq, NK, etc....)
    I agree. watch CNN as compared to CBC news. the difference is striking in local vs global coverage. maybe we don't have enough drama in Canada?
    And thank Gawd!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited November 2017
    OnWis97 said:

It's  been almost 17 years and they still yell ......
    Bill Bill Bill
    In between cries of Hillary Hillary Hillary
     Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi
    Emails Emails Enails
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Eating their own. I think they forgot that Hillary won Virginia in 2016, not trump.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Please, please, please embrace Trump and his Russian collusion. Please?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    JC29856 said:
    I know dems are anxious to echo MSM and say last night was a rejection of Trump but Im not so sure. First, these were state-wide races not the mid-terms, the mid-terms will be the real test. Second, Va and NJ were carried by Hillary not Trump, if Trump had won those states then I would be more apt to agree with the Trump rejection theory. Lastly, Gillespie is a swampy establishment candidate that ran a centrist campaign, he actually rejected Trump and instead had W campaigning for him. You can place one word next to Guadagno defeat, Christie. 

In any event alot of good things happened last night, anti establishment candidates won including many minorities, even Muslims, a transgender won, women won, ME voted to expand Medicaid and few more that slipped my mind.
    Cut the crap.  No one believes you're a progressive.  
    For the record, in 1993 and 2013, NJ and VA elected a Republican governor.  Let's think about what happened in 1994 and 2014....
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited November 2017
    OnWis97 said:

This is precisely why (IMO) Obama has not been vocal, nor pushing back in the face of Trump E-O-ing his legacy.  The minute Obama steps out as an antagonist to Trump, there is a villain to build narratives and slogans around.  

The only way Trump can exist, is to have someone to cut down.  If he is just tweeting into an echo chamber, with his adversaries coming from his own party.... his base (very slowly) dwindles, meanwhile indys are pushed further away

If the Dems are smart, they will withold potential 2020 candidates as long as they can.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

This is precisely why (IMO) Obama has not been vocal, nor pushing back in the face of Trump E-O-ing his legacy.  The minute Obama steps out as an antagonist to Trump, there is a villain to build narratives and slogans around.  

The only way Trump can exist, is to have someone to cut down.  If he is just tweeting into an echo chamber, with his adversaries coming from his own party.... his base (very slowly) dwindles, meanwhile indys are pushed further away
    That's a great point.  This is how it is with demis and populists.  They can lead a revolt and create a ruckus; it's like a comet shooting from the sky.  But when it comes time to govern and get things done, they are impotent.  They don't have knowledge, skills, or influence.  We are seeing this play out today.  He's like our very own Huey Long.  He will peeter out.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    ^^ Yeah, all good points..... Of course, all of that will go out the window if Trump decides to start a major war. Then it's a whole new ballgame, and god knows what direction things would go in.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    ^^ Yeah, all good points..... Of course, all of that will go out the window if Trump decides to start a major war. Then it's a whole new ballgame, and god knows what direction things would go in.
    Yeah, short term jingoism usually takes over and unifies the country.  But c'mon...do you think someone would start a war for political gain?  Never!!  
    idiot will probably declare war on Virginia. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    War is the scary thing...

However, I do not think there is much appetite for it at this point, and geopolitical factors provide no feasible conflict.  North Korea on paper is the fear at this point... but active conflict would be immediately bloody and many good people allied with the US would die live on TV.  At least with shock and awe we just were able to watch a fireworks show and eat popcorn.  We were also still lusting for blood after 9/11.
    Is Trump punishing AT&T for CNN's coverage of him?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/08/media/att-time-warner/index.html?adkey=bn
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Today is the 1 year anniversary of the 2016 election that put Drumpf in office. Rep. Adam Schiff commemorated the occasion with a series of tweets...
    • One year ago, @realDonaldTrump was elected President. Since then, he has repeatedly shown why he is the worst president in modern history. Here's how:
    • Almost immediately after the election, the President-elect falsely claimed to have won the popular vote and said that millions of illegal immigrants voted.
    • In his first week of office, @POTUS signed the #MuslimBan, banning people from entering our country based on their faith.
    • Then @POTUS Trump demonized a free & fair press, laying groundwork to discredit any negative stories. He even threatened network licenses.
    • Trump unilaterally rescinded #DACA without any replacement. Hundreds of thousands of DREAMers stand to lose everything. He doesn't care.
    • After the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, @POTUSfound fault on "many sides." There were not "many sides," just right and wrong.
    • .@POTUS withdrew from the Paris Accords, forever damaging our planet and our standing in the world. Climate change is real, and we must act.
    • Trump said he would discontinue payments to health insurance companies, raising rates for consumers, actively undermining the Affordable Care Act.
    • Trump refuses to acknowledge Russia’s attack on our democracy, and fired FBI Director James Comey because of "this Russia thing."
    • Trump has repeatedly tried to intervene in our justice system, and denigrated judges who rule against him as illegitimate or “so-called” judges.
    • Without checking with the Pentagon, @POTUS banned trans soldiers from serving our country. It was ugly, wrong, and unconstitutional.
    • I haven't even gotten to the President's foreign policy. Cozying up to dictators, threatening war via tweet, hollowing out our State Department...
    • There is absolutely no doubt: President Trump is the worst president in modern history. And each day, he works on eliminating "modern" from that description.
    I'm sure he could have added a bunch more tweets, but I thought it was a pretty concise summary of the past year.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Rep. Schiff has a lot on his mind...as we all do. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • So much winning. Are you tired of winning yet? I’m not sure who I feel more sorry for, Trump because of his incompetence and total lack of leadership or those who were bamboozeled into voting for him.

Homeland Security nominee says no need for full U.S.-Mexico border wall - Reuters
    https://apple.news/AfjhoAwK5R1KufgHWLFCxnw

Will he fire her before he hires her?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    MayDay10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

If the Dems are smart, they will withold potential 2020 candidates as long as they can.
    100%

They always need a boogeyman 
  • Sure Carl, sure.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/08/investing/carl-icahn-subpoena-trump-adviser/index.html

How many subpoenas and indictments were handed up during the Obama years again?

Brilliantati©
  • I guess the alt/right wing outrage machine will have to wait until trial to spin, spin, spin? Trump's going to freak.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/08/politics/paul-manafort-gag-order/index.html

Brilliantati©
  • Kat said:
    And don’t forget Preet in NY. You better believe their are some pissed of assistant DAs that are talking to Mueller.

Brilliantati©
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    An American president ripping pevious American presidents and then not taking questions...in communist China. 

Trump’s America. 2017. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • An American president ripping pevious American presidents and then not taking questions...in communist China. 

Trump’s America. 2017. 

Trump supporter = authoritarian communist

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.