They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I like filming shit with real cameras.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtsnO3aEi3g
  • Options
    It reminds me of what Ed wrote in Ten/VHC newsletter #11: 

“And WHO SAID VIDEO CAMERAS WOULD BE ALLOWED IN AT ALL FUTURE SHOWS? THIS IDEA IS PREPOSTEROUS!!!!! STULTIFYINGLY RIDICULOUS! Imagine a crowd full of squinting, one eyed fans peering trough a tiny mechanical eye attempting to capture what should be FELT, not digitally reproduced on cheap video, the most UNROMANTIC of all mediums,...”
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Who gives a shit? Enjoy yourself and don't worry because someone you don't even know has their phone out at a concert.

Actually, I give a shit.  How difficult is it to honor the request of the artist you're seeing...and to be considerate of others for two or three fucking hours?

If someone can't wrap their head around this concept, please stay home.
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 749
    Two recent experiences with this. At Springsteen on Broadway, the usher came around and used this pulse thing to blind the woman next to me. Not great for me. At Chappelle in Vegas, they did the pouch thing. It took forever to get in, but the show experience was much improved. However, I could see people with kids at home not liking it.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    edited November 2017
    hedonist said:
    Who gives a shit? Enjoy yourself and don't worry because someone you don't even know has their phone out at a concert.

Actually, I give a shit.  How difficult is it to honor the request of the artist you're seeing...and to be considerate of others for two or three fucking hours?

This could also go for the smokers who insist on smoking (cigarettes, pot, hash, meth, whatever) at their seat, thinking they aren't bothering anyone or not giving a damn, rather than waiting till after the show or heading to the designated smoking area.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,996
    People using phones doesn't bother me. I mean, if it's in your way, nudge over an inch or two to the right or left and you see fine. People look for things to complain about sometimes.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:

This could also go for the smokers who insist on smoking (cigarettes, pot, hash, meth, whatever) at their seat, thinking they aren't bothering anyone or not giving a damn, rather than waiting till after the show or heading to the designated smoking area.
    Ah, "the designated smoking area" (a.k.a., the bathroom stall). 

Agreed, though, that this sucks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

Edibles'll do ya fine, and by others as well =)

As to the "complaining" comment up there, nope.  We saw Alice in Chains at the most beautiful intimate venue last year, and it was ruined by a sea of assholes who subscribed to that same "ahhh, just move a bit" mindset.  Doesn't work when pretty much everyone is pulling that crap.

Why does attending a concert trump being thoughtful of others?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited November 2017
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

Edibles'll do ya fine, and by others as well =)

As to the "complaining" comment up there, nope.  We saw Alice in Chains at the most beautiful intimate venue last year, and it was ruined by a sea of assholes who subscribed to that same "ahhh, just move a bit" mindset.  Doesn't work when pretty much everyone is pulling that crap.

Why does attending a concert trump being thoughtful of others?
    I normally don’t mind pot smoke that much; it tends to dissipate and not stick to my clothes the way that cigarette smoke does. But, yeah, edibles will get you there, they’re nicer to your neighbors, and you won’t have some strange fool next to you who keeps tapping you on the shoulder to slobber all over your joint/bowl/whathaveyou. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    mrussel1 said:
    I like filming shit with real cameras.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtsnO3aEi3g
    Of course!  The Video Gremmie sends me everything he films!  
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,700
    hedonist said:

Yea or people who get extremely drunk before the show starts. Or the endless line of assholes going in and out of GA for another drink. Yea....I’ll take cellphones over that any day. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited November 2017
    I am not sure how people going in and out of GA makes people assholes. I have definitely never had a show ruined by strangers leaving and reentering GA a few times (why the fuck would I care?), but I have definitely had shows ruined by people holding their fucking phones directly in my line of sight for a huge portion of the show. They may as well walk up to me and put their hands in front of my eyes. Same damn thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2017

A bit difficult to enjoy if the effin phone is in my direct view.  Stand about 10 ft from your TV.. now have someone hold a phone about 3 to 4 feet straight in front of your face..  Enjoy the show

There also seems to be an app that puts these phones on "auto stay directly in front the of face of the person behind you " mode because the phone seems to follow my head even if I try to see around it or move from side to side
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Down with the phones!!!
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Jerome230 said:

“And WHO SAID VIDEO CAMERAS WOULD BE ALLOWED IN AT ALL FUTURE SHOWS? THIS IDEA IS PREPOSTEROUS!!!!! STULTIFYINGLY RIDICULOUS! Imagine a crowd full of squinting, one eyed fans peering trough a tiny mechanical eye attempting to capture what should be FELT, not digitally reproduced on cheap video, the most UNROMANTIC of all mediums,...”
    After reading this I have a different perspective. I don't take my phone out much but I think I'll keep it in my pocket for good at future shows. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    bbiggs said:
    Jerome230 said:

After reading this I have a different perspective. I don't take my phone out much but I think I'll keep it in my pocket for good at future shows. 
    That's Ed's perspective, and God bless him for having an opinion.  But lots of people remember things in different ways.  So if Ed thinks it's ridiculous, that's his prerogative.  But it doesn't actually make it ridiculous.  If an artist has a some sort of financial reason to bar the cameras (like Perfect Circle I assume, for example), it's also their prerogative.  I don't, however, feel any worse about myself because Ed thinks it's dumb.  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jerome230 said:

That's Ed's perspective, and God bless him for having an opinion.  But lots of people remember things in different ways.  So if Ed thinks it's ridiculous, that's his prerogative.  But it doesn't actually make it ridiculous.  If an artist has a some sort of financial reason to bar the cameras (like Perfect Circle I assume, for example), it's also their prerogative.  I don't, however, feel any worse about myself because Ed thinks it's dumb.  
    All good points. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,700
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am not sure how people going in and out of GA makes people assholes. I have definitely never had a show ruined by strangers leaving and reentering GA a few times (why the fuck would I care?), but I have definitely had shows ruined by people holding their fucking phones directly in my line of sight for a huge portion of the show. They may as well walk up to me and put their hands in front of my eyes. Same damn thing.
    I could make the same point. People missing the moment by taking videos or pictures. People pushing in and out of ga and missing multiple songs to get more beers. Missing the show by taking videos , missing songs to get more beer. I’ve had more shows ruined by people too drunk to stand than cell phones. But hey, everyone has their own opinions. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    This works at Chris Rock shows.....

www.overyondr.com

YONDR ALLOWS VENUES TO CREATE PHONE-FREE SPACES.

Yondr gives artists, organizations and individuals the tools to create phone-free events and spaces. In a technology-filled world, Yondr is the easiest way to maintain authenticity, privacy and exclusivity.

• Options
    CJ23113CJ23113 Long Island Posts: 187
    I was at A Perfect Circle in Brooklyn last week. They had signs all over the place. Security was in just about every section. U were allowed to use ur phone. But if u attempted to take a picture they were all over u. Saw a good amount of people get tossed.
    On the other hand it was nice not seeing the glow of all the phones in front.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    With the updated ticket policy...you must bring a smartphone.

Not a fan.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    this was not done with a smart phone. that is for sure LOL
    it also happens to be a moment in time that i will probably cherish till my last breath on earth. a show i was at.
    thank goodness for people who film shit on real cameras!
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Tiki said:
    With the updated ticket policy...you must bring a smartphone.

Not a fan.
    If you actually think that this will effect camera use... I can't.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I hate everyone and everything!!!!!
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Or do what Jack White did and have Free pictures from the show available on the website for free download. Jack has his own Professional photographer take pics and post them on the third man site for each show. You can download and save as many as you like. And these are great pics from a photographer who has 100% access. It did not stop everyone, but I could tell less phones out than usual.

Yeah, I noticed a lot less people using phones at his shows on the Lazaretto tour. I'm seeing his show in August right after the PJ home shows, and this should be rather interesting because it's going to be a phone-free show. This is the first time I've been to a show where phones won't be allowed, so I'm pretty stoked because it's really gotten out of hand the past few years. For anyone who is curious about how this will work, this is what was posted when I bought the tickets:

Jack White

Please note PLEASE NOTE: this is a PHONE-FREE show. No photos, video or audio recording devices allowed. We think you'll enjoy looking up from your gadgets for a little while and experience music and our shared love of it IN PERSON. Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show. You keep your pouch-secured phone on you during the show and, if needed, can unlock your phone at any time in a designated Yondr Phone Zone located in the lobby or concourse. For those looking to do some social media postings, let us help you with that. Our official tour photographer will be posting photos and videos after the show at jackwhiteiii.com and the new Jack White Live Instagram account @officialjackwhitelive. Repost our photos & videos as much as you want and enjoy a phone-free, 100% human experience.

Hopefully it's a success and maybe more artists will try this approach. 

Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    malphurs72malphurs72 NC Piedmont Posts: 56
    The Yondr pouch thing was done at a Cage the Elephant show I went to last year. Worked very well. Didn’t add any time to lines getting in, and getting it unlocked after was quick too. Of course this was a small show, but hopefully it will become more widespread
    98 Raleigh 03 Raleigh 06 Camden1 13 Baltimore 16 Greenville 16 Raleigh 16 Wrigley1 16 Wrigley2 18 Missoula 18 Wrigley1
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    I really hope it does. It's ridiculous how many people are taking video at shows these days. It's one thing to snap a picture or two, but to stand there and hold your phone up in the air for the duration of a song(s) is rude to everyone else around or behind you. I'm sure it's annoying for the artists as well to stare out into a crowd of people holding up their devices. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    As long as the phone isn’t blocking my view I’ve learned to ignore it and just enjoy myself. I can’t control their behavior.

plus I hate the idea of banning cell phones. I may need to be reached while im at a concert. Family emergencies and all...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,418
    Is it really possible to lock up phones in these bags at an arena show for 20,000 people or a ballpark show with 40,000 plus?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    I have been to alot of concerts inside and outside venues as well as small such as a house of blues vs us cellular colosseum. This would possibly be a first for pj and in a stadium. I think the cellphones require common sense and common courtesy. I will take maybe a few pics if a moment happens that is photo worthy but I def don't stand with phone in hand...im there to enjoy the show. That being said I have recorded a few moments of a favorite song now and again but I am careful to not hold phone up in front of anyone and check my view before I even attempt it. I can't say I've ever been bothered by a phone tho, I am typically totally into the whole experience and maybe just don't notice?