The Concept of God

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    When a two, five, ten, one hundred, or a million people are all praying to God at one time... how does he hear everyone's prayers?

That's got to drive him nuts, eh? 
    I think we "humans" have a hard time understanding God, how he work and deals with things. I simply think we can't grasp and understand and it's not meant for us to do so either. 
    if a god exists, I would agree with this. there's no way something that powerful could be understood by us puny humans. 
    I disagree entirely, what is there to my understand?
    We can understand omnipotence, what could possibly be greater than omnipotence.

The question isn't can we understand it, it's will we believe it's credible.
    we can't even really, truly fathom the universe and all its complexities (what is it in? how big is it? how does it expand if there's nothing to expand into?, etc). how can we possibly claim to be able to fathom what created it?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    When a two, five, ten, one hundred, or a million people are all praying to God at one time... how does he hear everyone's prayers?

I think we "humans" have a hard time understanding God, how he work and deals with things. I simply think we can't grasp and understand and it's not meant for us to do so either. 
    if a god exists, I would agree with this. there's no way something that powerful could be understood by us puny humans. 

we can't even really, truly fathom the universe and all its complexities (what is it in? how big is it? how does it expand if there's nothing to expand into?, etc). how can we possibly claim to be able to fathom what created it?

What was there before God? Was he always there? But even if he was... he would have been lurking in the dark. A neverending, limitless black space. Who made the black space?

We are definitely incapable of explaining some things.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

What was there before God? Was he always there? But even if he was... he would have been lurking in the dark. A neverending, limitless black space. Who made the black space?

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth . . . Then he said, "Let there be light." Which means he made the entire universe in the dark! How fucking good is that? He's brilliant.”- Ricky Gervais.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

Not having the correct answers to questions right now is not the same thing as being unable to comprehend the possible answers.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

Not having the correct answers to questions right now is not the same thing as being unable to comprehend the possible answers.
    I know that, but do you really think we'd be able to wrap our heads around it? I don't think we could. I highly doubt the answers, IF THERE IS A GOD, would be comprehensible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

I know that, but do you really think we'd be able to wrap our heads around it? I don't think we could. I highly doubt the answers, IF THERE IS A GOD, would be comprehensible. 
    I don't see why not.
    Not that we could hold all the details together in our mind at once the way a God would, but you don't have to name every leaf on every tree to know a forest when you see one.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2017
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

When the time comes, when we get there, I'm sure that we all have a lot of questions in common. I'm sure that in the fullness of time, He will be glad to explain everything to us.  And answer all of our questions.  In the meantime however, He would like for us to love and trust Him, so that He can lead, guide, & direct us in our daily lives.  That's all He really wants.
    Here is some good reading.

http://biblehub.com/kjv/revelation/22.htm
    Post edited by RYME on
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

I don't see why not.
    Not that we could hold all the details together in our mind at once the way a God would, but you don't have to name every leaf on every tree to know a forest when you see one.
    well, of course, but understanding the fine details of the forest would escape the casual (non-god) observer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

When the time comes, when we get there, I'm sure that we all have a lot of questions in common. I'm sure that in the fullness of time, He will be glad to explain everything to us.  And answer all of our questions.  In the meantime however, He would like for us to love and trust Him, so that He can lead, guide, & direct us in our daily lives.  That's all He really wants.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

If he REALLY wanted that there wouldn't be so many questions.  He would make it very obvious.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Yahoo is reporting a David Meade a numerologist regrets to inform us that the world will be ending Saturday. A mysterious rogue planet will pass Earth and knock Earth off its axis, which will bring world ending tsunamis and earthquakes. 

Sorry don't have a link at the moment.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    Oh yes, Sept 23 is it people. It's Wormwood. Run for your lives.
    Lol, I forgot about this. I have seen some "coverage" of it on social media, but it's just so ridiculous, I don't think even most of the crazies are on board, lol.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/857095/End-of-the-world-September-23-2017-planet-x-nibiru-bible-wormwood-apocalypse

I always figured that if a whole planet or star was careening towards Earth, we'd be able to see it once it's only 2 days out. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Yahoo is reporting a David Meade a numerologist regrets to inform us that the world will be ending Saturday. A mysterious rogue planet will pass Earth and knock Earth off its axis, which will bring world ending tsunamis and earthquakes. 

I read this a few days ago. it ended by saying David Meade will not be available for interviews or comment until next week. :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2017
    Even some Inuits are in on the theory: http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/856172/END-OF-THE-WORLD-September-23-2017-Nibiru-Planet-X-apocalypse-inuit-rapture

I just hope they're wrong, because my best friend's brother is getting married on Saturday, and it promises to be an extremely fun party - I'd hate to see our fun and their big day ruined by the Rapture.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJS too funny! Haha yes. I'd certainly hope no one would be on board!

And Hugh even funnier haha next week! :lol:

I'll read your links! Sorry I was darting around and should have been working honestly so I didn't take the time to post properly. 

And I agree! I think we'd notice some changes in our atmosphere! 

And PJS I meant to thank you for clearing up that creepy jug post in that other thread haha makes much more sense!

I still shouldn't be on my phone :lol: but just have to add that the end of the world shit is cruel to kids that can read or are old enough to understand the news if stuff like this they hear on TV or radio! They don't understand and can cause a lot of pain. My friends son is 8 and could not handle the zombies or clowns. Just sayin!
    edited September 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:

I read this a few days ago. it ended by saying David Meade will not be available for interviews or comment until next week. :lol:
      Saturday the 23rd huh??  Oh no.. I hope Ed gets his show in.  And for the people planning on watching Eddie in Tennessee on the 24th you're shit out of luck.  We are going to be standing there with bourbon in hand, listening to Ed sing to us all, and then, and then, uhh ohh here comes that damn planet out of nowhere,,,& SMASH-BOOYAH!!!!!!  What a way to go.. ;)

Haha! I dunno, I figure it actually would be a pretty good way to go. Fairly quick, everyone's in it together, and the last thing you see will be by far the most crazy, jaw-dropping, spectacular thing you've ever seen in your entire life! :plus_one:
    PJ soles, or HFD, any of you coming down to this Bourbon Festival in Kentucky by any chance? It would be fun to have a few cold drinks together and talk about music or whatever you know.
    RYME said:
    PJ soles, or HFD, any of you coming down to this Bourbon Festival in Kentucky by any chance? It would be fun to have a few cold drinks together and talk about music or whatever you know.
    nope. dying to see Ed solo again, but that's too far for this Winnipegger! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2017
    RYME said:
    No, unfortunately! If I were I'd love to.
    Btw, lol, you used the name of the REAL PJ Soles, the actress who played Norma in Carrie. That nasty biatch!!! :lol: I have watched that movie probably a dozen time, but I actually never connected the dots when I quite thoughtlessly chose my screen name in the middle of the night, hahaha:

PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    No, unfortunately! If I were I'd love to.
    Btw, lol, you used the name of the REAL PJ Soles, the actress who played Norma in Carrie. That nasty biatch!!! :lol: I have watched that movie probably a dozen time, but I actually never connected the dots when I quite thoughtlessly chose my screen name in the middle of the night, hahaha:

Haha I've never heard of that movie or seen it glad I could get you a chuckle though. Too far nort dare-hay.
    We'll do it someday! ;)
    edited September 2017
    Oh, you've never seen Carrie, eh? Hmmmmmm, I'd be very curious to know what you think of it actually, because it's in context with this whole conversation. Carrie's mom is an extremely devout Christian with some, er, very strong views. Meanwhile, her daughter has some very concerning supernatural abilities. They clash a little, lol. You7 should watch it! Just make sure you watch the original from the 70s, and not any of the remakes.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited September 2017
    A must see!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just hope they're wrong, because my best friend's brother is getting married on Saturday, and it promises to be an extremely fun party - I'd hate to see our fun and their big day ruined by the Rapture.
    I was thinking the exact opposite - a party at the end of the world sounds like the perfect way to go to me! Like, it doesn't get any better than this, so... BOOM!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    I feel that most, who run the churches,are greedy. Most who attend the churches are needy, And those who believe that it doesn't matter where you worship, It's how you worship,  Are pretty damn cool.  B)  On a serious note, I do believe in God,  I've never had a denomination, And only visited a few churches in my lifetime. Two of which, Gave me migraines from the time I entered,Til the time I left. I don't believe, Just to get a spot in heaven, I believe in him, Because I feel his presence.  I know that I was born, I know that I will die. The in between is mine, To be kind, To love, To learn from my mistakes, And to teach what I've learned.....
    donnaruhl said:
    I feel that most, who run the churches,are greedy. Most who attend the churches are needy, And those who believe that it doesn't matter where you worship, It's how you worship,  Are pretty damn cool.  B)  On a serious note, I do believe in God,  I've never had a denomination, And only visited a few churches in my lifetime. Two of which, Gave me migraines from the time I entered,Til the time I left. I don't believe, Just to get a spot in heaven, I believe in him, Because I feel his presence.  I know that I was born, I know that I will die. The in between is mine, To be kind, To love, To learn from my mistakes, And to teach what I've learned.....
    "The in between is mine, To be kind, To love, To learn from my mistakes"

Amen to that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I was thinking the exact opposite - a party at the end of the world sounds like the perfect way to go to me! Like, it doesn't get any better than this, so... BOOM!
    I figure the happy couple kind of wanted more out of their marriage than the party, lol. Hell, they wouldn't have even had time to consummate it. ;) Anyway, the wedding went off without the apocalypse, so the bride and groom can enjoy more than a few hours of marriage together. Yay!
    totally forgot about the rapture this weekend. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

totally forgot about the rapture this weekend. 
    Me too.  Well, we're in good company. :lol: