Mayweather vs McGregor-ridiculous spectacle or legitimate sporting event?

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The how many punches will he land section is amazing.

I knew they were making dough, but Floyd in the $300 mil range...good god.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

I still think that's on the optimistic end of it. I think they overshot how much interest they thought this would get. I get the feeling most people believe this is a joke and don't want to fork over $100 for it. Bars might be filled for it, though. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172

yes that is nuts although I'm a cynic on them getting that many ppv buys.

the other crazy thing is that so far 95% of the money bet in Vegas has come in on McGregor.   Squares don't bet favorites.  I imagine that will change once the pros get their money in.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    pjhawks said:

yes that is nuts although I'm a cynic on them getting that many ppv buys.

the other crazy thing is that so far 95% of the money bet in Vegas has come in on McGregor.   Squares don't bet favorites.  I imagine that will change once the pros get their money in.
    Yep. Big money is waiting to pour in on mayweather. It's coming. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    They lost me when they quoted Richard fucking Steele.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    You know Vegas loves that and wants more big bets
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2017

$89.99 over here if you are running a hd television which we are not. we have upgraded a click tho from the little red dora explora television set. i just wonder if the fire station pub will be having this? you can't beat pennsylvania's firehouse pubs; volunteer firemen & firewomen getting shitty.

if i were to purchase this fight here at the house, i'd get my lower intestine overly cleansed by the lady of the house. she'd wedge a crude & blunt instrument somewhere & power that thing on. aint happenin 'round here unless there's a gathering of folks paying. in which case i'd have to cook somethin up & be a decent host... if it did happen we'd have pots of chili, beer on ice & a booze table. i think that's how ya do a pay per view fight

Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    chadwick said:

$89.99 over here if you are running a hd television which we are not. we have upgraded a click tho from the little red dora explora television set. i just wonder if the fire station pub will be having this? you can't beat pennsylvania's firehouse pubs; volunteer firemen & firewomen getting shitty.

if i were to purchase this fight here at the house, i'd get my lower intestine overly cleansed by the lady of the house. she'd wedge a crude & blunt instrument somewhere & power that thing on. aint happenin 'round here unless there's a gathering of folks paying. in which case i'd have to cook somethin up & be a decent host... if it did happen we'd have pots of chili, beer on ice & a booze table. i think that's how ya do a pay per view fight

I'm in.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    McGregor is such a fucking nerd 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

I love it.  The guy is like something you would see in WWE.  Wish I was in Vegas right now....going to be insane out there this weekend.

I love it.  The guy is like something you would see in WWE.  Wish I was in Vegas right now....going to be insane out there this weekend.
    Can't get a shitty table at a shitty club in vegas this weekend for less than $5k.  Definitely a good time but everything is double what is already an expensive town. Fuck all those micks too. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Can't get a shitty table at a shitty club in vegas this weekend for less than $5k.  Definitely a good time but everything is double what is already an expensive town. Fuck all those micks too. 

HAHA!  Don't talk about my people like that!  Those crazy Irish fuckers are going to tear that town apart.

This guy I know is out there for his bachelor party this weekend....they picked the dates before they announced the fight.  Brutal to be out there where everything is crazy expensive.  I'd prob be staying at the fucking circus circus if I was out there.

HAHA!  Don't talk about my people like that!  Those crazy Irish fuckers are going to tear that town apart.

This guy I know is out there for his bachelor party this weekend....they picked the dates before they announced the fight.  Brutal to be out there where everything is crazy expensive.  I'd prob be staying at the fucking circus circus if I was out there.
    Dude, those fuckers are gonna be insane. I cannot imagine. 

Thats sweet. Everything is just so jacked up. I was out there for the canelo-mayweather fight and it was insane just for that.  Ha circus circus. Do some ether and have 'fun' like hunter s Thompson 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2017
    I've got a friend who is in Vegas and has tix to the fight, and he went the weigh-in and was live streaming some of it on facebook. Crazy that just the weigh-in is that nuts! People were going bananas! So yes, it's definitely a ridiculous spectacle, lol. But it could also be a legit fight as well - I guess we'll find out soon enough! 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If I was putting money on it I would definitely go with Mayweather, but damn I hope McGregor knocks him out in the first few rounds.  How awesome would that be?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    In in Cooperstown, NY for a week long baseball tournament 
    Not too far from Chadwicks place to make there for the fight.  ;)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I won't bother reading through the other 3 pages.  It'll be a spectacle.

It'll be a boring fight like 47 of Mayweathers other fights, he had 2 good ones...

Defense, clutching, counterpunch.  Floyd has made this a boring artform.

Greatest defensive boxer I've ever seen.

Pugilism at it's finest, boring but finest.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    McGregor still knows how to throw a punch, so I would call it legitimate. Doesn't mean he will come close to beating Floyd though. 

I will not be paying $100 to see it. There will be plenty of highlights right after for free. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    IF, and I know it's a big "if," McGregor lands a few of the punches that Pacquiao landed on Mayweather, he's going to hit the canvas. 
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    McGregor for the KO. Predicting a major upset that doesn't really make any sense and sends shockwaves through the boxing community!
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I hate a TKO ending. Either become acquainted with the canvas or continue. 

Glad I didn't spend a dime on it. Thank you Periscope. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    I'm a boxing guy and sorry to the hardcore boxing fans, but Connor won anywhere from 2-4 rounds. Problem is, he was dead tired by rounds 4-6.

Floyd was gonna win this fight regardless, but Connor did better than expected. Connor = not in shape for boxing, but I never doubted Floyd.  If Floyd were younger he would have made quicker work of it.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Floyd looked like 'The Gimp' when he came walking out.

They only charged €25 here in Ireland so I set my alarm for 4:45am and watched it in bed. Went pretty much as expected.
    edited August 2017
    McGregor was better than I expected early on. I thought it was stopped a little early, but Floyd had him regardless. 

It came down to fitness. Conor landed more than I expected but Floyd is just so fit
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Say what you will, but that was by far the most entertaining Floyd match over witnessed.   Connor did 100x better then I imagined. I didn't expect him to come close to winning a round 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I just read the Floyd made $350M.  Don't know if true but fuck yeah there is gonna be a rematch.  The lead up will be Conner working on his conditioning even though Floyd and Conner are in cahoots... but I will still watch :tongue:
    Jason P said:
    Say what you will, but that was by far the most entertaining Floyd match over witnessed.   Connor did 100x better then I imagined. I didn't expect him to come close to winning a round 
    Very much agree. He won the first 4, at minimum. 

Floyd is just so smart and fit