Options

Mayweather vs McGregor-ridiculous spectacle or legitimate sporting event?

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Where does McGregor go from here? Can he really go back to fighting god knows who in UFC for a few million bucks?  UFC won't let him become a full time boxer?
    What do you mean God knows who?
    Some of his potential opponents probably have greater name recognition than 2 or three weight classes worth of champs in boxing.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    rgambs said:
    Where does McGregor go from here? Can he really go back to fighting god knows who in UFC for a few million bucks?  UFC won't let him become a full time boxer?
    Some of his potential opponents probably have greater name recognition than 2 or three weight classes worth of champs in boxing.

Buncha nobodies. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    rgambs said:

agreed. there's a pretty big list in waiting. but not household names to a non-MMA fan, to be fair. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Not household, but no less so than boxing's (current) big names.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited August 2017
    rgambs said:
    I am not a fan of either, and I can definitely name more boxers than I can MMA fighters (I can name exactly one MMA fighter, in fact, and it's in the title of this thread :lol: ). I think it's because there are just so damned many MMA fights and fighters that nobody who dislikes/hates the sport can be bothered to pay attention to any of their names in passing. But when a boxer is being highlighted, that stands out because it's rarely discussed in comparison (plus, boxing is somewhat less off-putting to most people who aren't into fighting).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I am not a fan of either, and I can definitely name more boxers than I can MMA fighters (I can name exactly one MMA fighter, in fact, and it's in the title of this thread :lol: ). I think it's because there are just so damned many MMA fights and fighters that nobody who dislikes/hates the sport can be bothered to pay attention to any of their names in passing. But when a boxer is being highlighted, that stands out because it's rarely discussed in comparison (plus, boxing is somewhat less off-putting to most people who aren't into fighting).
    I can't name any current boxers. not one. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'd like to see results of a big poll of this nature.
  • Options
    I'd like to see results of a big poll of this nature.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Current UFC fighters I know. Nate Diaz, McGregor, Eddie Alvarez (the wife grew up with him), Jon Jones (he grew up in my hood and not sure if he is a current fighter), Cormier.  I also know there is some pretty white boy, but I don't know his name.

Would probably recognize a few more names if you said them, but those are the ones I can come up.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    What about Mayweather? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    he's retired as of Saturday. :wink:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    Current UFC fighters I know. Nate Diaz, McGregor, Eddie Alvarez (the wife grew up with him), Jon Jones (he grew up in my hood and not sure if he is a current fighter), Cormier.  I also know there is some pretty white boy, but I don't know his name.

Would probably recognize a few more names if you said them, but those are the ones I can come up.
    Bone Jones just got thrown out of MMA again for testing dirty.

As for boxing you have two of today's BEST boxers going head to head in 3 weeks. Triple G Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez.

This will be the boxing match to watch.  These two are going to slug it out.

Everyone should watch this fight.  I can't wait.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    Haha! Touche. Well, I was actually talking about boxers in general, not current ones. I know a lot of their names - at least a dozen off the top of my head. But, of course, I'm speaking as someone who actually has a real issue with MMA/UFC. I don't like boxing either, but MMA crosses a line of viciousness that doesn't sit well with me, mostly because of the fans, in a general sense. I'll put it this way: literally the ONLY bar fights I've ever seen in my life all happened on UFC nights. I think the sport, at least with the way it's marketed now, spawns violence, aggression, and general douchebaggery (no, of course I'm not talking about all UFC fans). I don't feel that boxing has the same effect.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    Haha! Touche. Well, I was actually talking about boxers in general, not current ones. I know a lot of their names - at least a dozen off the top of my head. But, of course, I'm speaking as someone who actually has a real issue with MMA/UFC. I don't like boxing either, but MMA crosses a line of viciousness that doesn't sit well with me, mostly because of the fans, in a general sense. I'll put it this way: literally the ONLY bar fights I've ever seen in my life all happened on UFC nights. I think the sport, at least with the way it's marketed now, spawns violence, aggression, and general douchebaggery (no, of course I'm not talking about all UFC fans). I don't feel that boxing has the same effect.
    I've watched UFC at bars a few times, and never saw any issue at all. There of course are going to be those types that are probably aggressive already and UFC + booze + those types of people = fights, but most MMA purists just enjoy the competitive nature of the sport. it's not all blood and broken bones like it used to be. A lot of it is highly skilled submissions. sure there are knockouts, and of course that's part of the marketing of it, the excitement of a half-second leg to the face, no different than football or hockey being marketed using massive bone-crunching tackles and bare knuckled brawling. But that's actually just a small part of it. I admit sometimes I feel conflicted about watching it. It seems odd to me that I'm such a pacifist yet I get enjoyment out of MMA. It doesn't reconcile well. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017

Bone Jones just got thrown out of MMA again for testing dirty.

As for boxing you have two of today's BEST boxers going head to head in 3 weeks. Triple G Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez.

This will be the boxing match to watch.  These two are going to slug it out.

Everyone should watch this fight.  I can't wait.
    That's why i said I'm not sure if he is a current fighter.

I am very excited for the GGG fight.  I have been a big fan of both of them for a while.  Canelo fought Mayweather way too early.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I've watched UFC at bars a few times, and never saw any issue at all. There of course are going to be those types that are probably aggressive already and UFC + booze + those types of people = fights, but most MMA purists just enjoy the competitive nature of the sport. it's not all blood and broken bones like it used to be. A lot of it is highly skilled submissions. sure there are knockouts, and of course that's part of the marketing of it, the excitement of a half-second leg to the face, no different than football or hockey being marketed using massive bone-crunching tackles and bare knuckled brawling. But that's actually just a small part of it. I admit sometimes I feel conflicted about watching it. It seems odd to me that I'm such a pacifist yet I get enjoyment out of MMA. It doesn't reconcile well. 
    I do know it takes skill and work. I was friends with an MMA fighter, and he was a great guy and hard worker (he got his ass kicked badly every fight, and he finally stopped and went back to teaching MMA). I can't imagine it's good for kids to watch such things for entertainment. I don't feel that hockey or football is comparable in any way, though agree that the hockey fights aren't good for kids either. I don't think football is violent at all. Tackling isn't fighting IMO.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I do know it takes skill and work. I was friends with an MMA fighter, and he was a great guy and hard worker (he got his ass kicked badly every fight, and he finally stopped and went back to teaching MMA). I can't imagine it's good for kids to watch such things for entertainment. I don't feel that hockey or football is comparable in any way, though agree that the hockey fights aren't good for kids either. I don't think football is violent at all. Tackling isn't fighting IMO.
    I know they aren't the same. i was only mentioning how things are marketed, and just because it's marketed that way, doesn't mean that's what you are getting. 

I disagree. Football is incredibly violent. No, it's not fighting. But people have died on the field. Multiple concussions leading to depression and suicide is a real problem in pro football, although it generally happens years after the athlete has retired, so it doesn't get the attention it requires. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I watched WWF religiously from age 5 until my mid 20's. Guys hitting each other over the head with metal chairs and bleeding like a horror movie, diving off cages onto tables, off ladders, men putting women through tables, etc, etc. I am fine. I think a real competitive sport with two athletes that respect each other is just fine. My daughter occasionally watches a fight or two with me, but generally only female fights, and after I know there's been no gruesomeness involved in the match. I don't let her watch it live. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I know they aren't the same. i was only mentioning how things are marketed, and just because it's marketed that way, doesn't mean that's what you are getting. 

I disagree. Football is incredibly violent. No, it's not fighting. But people have died on the field. Multiple concussions leading to depression and suicide is a real problem in pro football, although it generally happens years after the athlete has retired, so it doesn't get the attention it requires. 
    Oh, I'm thinking of violence as in people beating the shit out of each other (I actually can't figure out why anyone wants to watch that - I definitely know why you're feeling conflicted as a passivist, lol. I'm not sure how one reconciles that! I personally feel sick to my stomach while watching it). I don't feel that on-field injuries is violence. Certainly not in the context that we're talking, i.e. MMA. I think of football injuries in the same way as I think of any other sporting injuries. Many non-violent sports are dangerous for the athletes.
  • Options
    play competitive tackle football. it's violent. yes, but most if not all football injuries are inflicted by your opponent, not by you fucking up. to me that's violence. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Current boxers I can name: Manny Pacquiao, Canelo Alvarez, Victor Ortiz, Juan Manuel Marquez, Andre Berto, Miguel Cotto, Terence Crawford, Roman Gonzalez, Sergey Kovalev, Andre Ward

Current MMA fighters I can name: Conor McGregor... because of Floyd Mayweather
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Oh, I'm thinking of violence as in people beating the shit out of each other (I actually can't figure out why anyone wants to watch that - I definitely know why you're feeling conflicted as a passivist, lol. I'm not sure how one reconciles that! I personally feel sick to my stomach while watching it). I don't feel that on-field injuries is violence. Certainly not in the context that we're talking, i.e. MMA. I think of football injuries in the same way as I think of any other sporting injuries. Many non-violent sports are dangerous for the athletes.
    Bar fighting has been the official sport of douchebags since long before MMA came along.
     The hits on an NFL field are actually more dangerous and injurious than in the cage.  Two men smashing into each other with their maximum possible bodily kinetic energy.  Yeah that's extreme violence.

Men are hardwired for aggression and violence.  Sport is a healthy way to act out those tendancies in a controlled environment.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    play competitive tackle football. it's violent. yes, but most if not all football injuries are inflicted by your opponent, not by you fucking up. to me that's violence. 
    Yeah, I know what football is like. It's just using bodies to block the opponent or to get past the opponent. I think there is a really defined difference between that and two men in a ring beating the shit out of each other by kicking, punching, etc. One is fighting and one is not. The purpose of UFC and boxing is to knock the other guy out, while the purpose of football is to get the ball into the end zone or over the goal posts. Not even close to comparable. People getting hurt doesn't necessarily = violence IMHO.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, I know what football is like. It's just using bodies to block the opponent or to get past the opponent. I think there is a really defined difference between that and two men in a ring beating the shit out of each other by kicking, punching, etc. One is fighting and one is not. The purpose of UFC and boxing is to knock the other guy out, while the purpose of football is to get the ball into the end zone or over the goal posts. Not even close to comparable. People getting hurt doesn't necessarily = violence IMHO.
    I see what your saying, but I disagree.  Hitting a person as hard as you physically can with your entire body is an extremely violent action.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    the purpose of MMA is NOT to knock the other guy out. it's to win via submission, knockout, or judges' scorecards. the first and last choices are the more often end result of each contest. 

purpose or intent is not required for it to be deemed violent. 

no one here is comparing the sports of football to MMA except you. I was comparing their marketing strategies. 

I say MMA is violent. I say football is also violent. they are just different in their violence, but FAR more people have been severely injured and died in football than in MMA. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    the purpose of MMA is NOT to knock the other guy out. it's to win via submission, knockout, or judges' scorecards. the first and last choices are the more often end result of each contest. 

purpose or intent is not required for it to be deemed violent. 

no one here is comparing the sports of football to MMA except you. I was comparing their marketing strategies. 

I say MMA is violent. I say football is also violent. they are just different in their violence, but FAR more people have been severely injured and died in football than in MMA. 
    Whatever - knock them out, pound them into submission, lol, same diff.
    Wait, what?? You are the one who brought up football and said it's violent, and I'm saying I don't think it isn't, and explaining why I think that.
    I'd love to see your comparative injury/death stats on that. I'm guessing you actually have no clue how many injuries/deaths have resulted from MMA or football, overall, nor how number of participants would impact whatever those numbers are.
    Anyway, if football is violence, then so is water polo. And if unjuries/deaths determine violence, then skiing, equestrian, motocross, soccer, and gymnastics is crazy violent.
  • Options
    This is violent. There are different types of violence.  That is all

• Options
    pound them into submission? no, that's not even a thing. it's called having them in a submission hold, like an armbar or something similar where the guy taps out verbally or physically. 

there has been ONE death from pro (sanctioned) MMA fighting, and it was actually quite recently. so yeah, I know what I'm talking about. 

again, I didn't say injuries determined violence. those are your words. I said the nature of the sport did. guys crashing into each other head on, or spearing a guy while he's mid-air, yeah, I consider that violent. rugby I also would consider violent.

water polo? not so much. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    This is violent. There are different types of violence.  That is all

It's a high impact sport to say the least. Yeah, sorry, I still just don't think it's violence. I mean, if the guy doesn't try that hard to stop the dude with the ball, the dude would possibly get past him. Guy tries hard to get past him, guy stops him with basically equal force. It's just a matter of our definition of human violence, obviously. Now, I DO consider some things that are illegal plays to be violent. Just as I (obviously) see hockey fights as violence, I also think that shit like illegal hits from behind is violence, and other brutal illegal plays. But normal legal play in hockey and football is not violence IMO, and certainly not comparable to MMA (which has been my point all along). 
    All that said, I think anyone getting into playing football (and their parents) has to be extremely well-informed about the physical risks, and impacts have to be prevented for people under 18, which I doubt is happening in a lot of places. But if adults choose to take that risk, fine with me. Same with MMA and boxing and hockey, of course.