Options

Mayweather vs McGregor-ridiculous spectacle or legitimate sporting event?

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Jason P said:
    I just read the Floyd made $350M.  Don't know if true but fuck yeah there is gonna be a rematch.  The lead up will be Conner working on his conditioning even though Floyd and Conner are in cahoots... but I will still watch :tongue:
    I won't watch a rematch. Boring fight as expected. I won't donate to the Mayweather fund ever again. I don't care if he pulls Mike Tyson out of retirement...I'm not watching. This clown keeps getting the last laugh on the public with his 9 figure paydays. No more for me. 
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    Was an entertaining fight, but I watched it for free streaming on Periscope.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    It wasn't a boring fight. The arena was electric with every exchange in every round.  I hope Triple G can do the same against Alveraz. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    I'm a boxing guy and sorry to the hardcore boxing fans, but Connor won anywhere from 2-4 rounds. Problem is, he was dead tired by rounds 4-6.

Floyd was gonna win this fight regardless, but Connor did better than expected. Connor = not in shape for boxing, but I never doubted Floyd.  If Floyd were younger he would have made quicker work of it.
    The ONLY reason McGregor even won those rounds is because Floyd didn't throw a punch and was calculating/figuring Connor out.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    IMO, it's a little embarrassing for Mayweather that it went that long and was even that competitive.
    You are supposed to be the GOAT, and you can't finish a first time boxer in the first half of the fight?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    IMO, it's a little embarrassing for Mayweather that it went that long and was even that competitive.
    You are supposed to be the GOAT, and you can't finish a first time boxer in the first half of the fight?
    That's not Mayweathers style at all.  He's wayyyyy too smart a boxer for that.

He's an unbelievably disciplined boxer.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    rgambs said:

I guess I can't decide if that's an indictment of the sportsman or the sport.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

get a clue.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

get a clue.
    More brilliance from rust! 
    I don't know how you are able to encapsulate such refined and encompassing thoughts so succinctly, it's an inspiration to us all!
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

get a clue.
    More brilliance from rust! 
    I don't know how you are able to encapsulate such refined and encompassing thoughts so succinctly, it's an inspiration to us all!
    big words make me feel smart
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    rgambs said:
    Mayweather is not the GOAT, or anywhere close to it.  I don't even know if he is a top 25 boxer ever.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    Mayweather is not the GOAT, or anywhere close to it.  I don't even know if he is a top 25 boxer ever.

I'm glad you don't think so!  I've heard people call him that, and with his record...but I'm glad there isn't a consensus.
    Record isn't everything, and neither are stats.

I'm biased toward finishes and stoppages in combat sports.  The idea is to do combat in controlled scenarios, and in real and potentially mortal kombat, you would be a damn fool to give your opponent a chance to attack you any longer than necessary.
    The more stylised and abstract the rules of engagement are, the more lenient I get.
    For instance, I don't expect every wrestling match to end with a pin, because it's only marginally a combat sport.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    if people are talking about Mayweather being the greatest, here is my opinion:

-he is arguably one of the greatest boxers of all time
    -he is not one of the greatest fighters of all time

Boxing isn't just about knocking someone out. it is about hitting the guy more than he hits you, which he does better than most or anybody. If you knock him out, obviously that's better, but it's not necessary. 

If he were to go toe to toe with other guys in his division, he would lose. 

it's no different than defensive teams usually winning the Stanley Cup. Is it boring as fuck? yep, but it's effective. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    the New York Times, unfortunately, somewhat proved what Donald Trump has been saying all along about them being fake news: their headline about this fight was "mcgregor bloodied and about to fall through the ropes".

Neither was even remotely true. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    the New York Times, unfortunately, somewhat proved what Donald Trump has been saying all along about them being fake news: their headline about this fight was "mcgregor bloodied and about to fall through the ropes".

Neither was even remotely true. 
    Though he literally got the snot knocked out of him

• Options
    I saw that pic over the weekend. it's as gross now as it was then. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

It ain't called "The Sweet Science" for nothing.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I don't think for one second the fight was stopped too early.  McGregor's hands had gone lazy.  Couldn't even hold his gloves up to guard himself.  Ref saved him from being embarrassed worldwide.  Better a TKO than KTFO.
  • Options
    I don't think for one second the fight was stopped too early.  McGregor's hands had gone lazy.  Couldn't even hold his gloves up to guard himself.  Ref saved him from being embarrassed worldwide.  Better a TKO than KTFO.
    I remember the Ruelas fight years ago when the ref didn't call it.  Jimmy Garcia ended up dying.  Ruelas was never the same after that.

I do agree that it was the right time to call it.

• Options
    I would tend to agree, however, if you watch MMA, you'd know that's how McGregor always holds his hands. it probably drives his trainers nuts, but he always holds them low. 

it was obvious that Mayweather was still incredibly fresher than Conor, and if it had gone longer, I don't think Conor would have been knocked out (seriously, by boxing gloves? the guy takes head kicks and stays up), but he probably would have been knocked around quite a bit more. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Same here. I thought the ref stopped it at the perfect time. McGregor was done. Well since round 5 he was done but in the 10th he was really done and couldn't get his gloves up. Mayweather was hitting at will.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    Jason P said:
    I just read the Floyd made $350M.  Don't know if true but fuck yeah there is gonna be a rematch.  The lead up will be Conner working on his conditioning even though Floyd and Conner are in cahoots... but I will still watch :tongue:
    If only real life involved training montages, because I'd totally watch that, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I think he should have gotten another 20 seconds or so.  He hadn't thrown a punch in like a minute to defend himself, which is definitely the most concerning. I don't have a major problem with the stoppage.
  • Options
    I'm not watching a rematch.
  • Options
    there will be no rematch. Floyd has his neat little 50-0 and his billion dollar status. they couldn't even sell out the arena. they aren't going to do it again. at least not with the UFC involved. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    My friend got hosed out of $100 because the UFC app server crashed
  • Options
    Where does McGregor go from here? Can he really go back to fighting god knows who in UFC for a few million bucks?  UFC won't let him become a full time boxer?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Where does McGregor go from here? Can he really go back to fighting god knows who in UFC for a few million bucks?  UFC won't let him become a full time boxer?

Not sure what his contract situation is with UFC.  Obviously there's a shitload more money to be made in boxing over the UFC....they don't pay their fighters shit.  Will be interesting to see what he does next.  I could see the third in the trilogy with Diaz being his next fight in UFC.
  • Options
    depends what his contract is. Dana says he doesn't want Conor boxing anymore. He's the UFC's cash cow, especially with Rousey out making babies and rasslin'. I don't know how much the UFC cashed in on this, but my guess is it would be less than their own event. they were doing this for exposure and nothing more. 

he was featherweight champ for a year without a defense. he is now the lightweight champ for nearly a year with still no defense. Dana is going to pressure him hard to fight soon, most likely before the year is up. My guess is their usual NYE PPV. 

maybe once his UFC contract is up he goes back to boxing. But I see it with how much money he just made, he fights in UFC for a while, maybe goes up one more weight class to try to be a triple champ, and calls it a career. 

without Mayweather, McGregor boxing would have been a total bust. no one would have cared. already fewer than what they anticipated cared. it will only go downhill from here. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    so sunday with eyes squinting & a hand over them i pulled the fight up on youtube. the uploader of the fight did not spoil the video by mentioning who won, that made me happy. so we sat here & watched the match. it was pretty good i thought.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce