The Pizza Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I've seen the term pizza snob thrown out a few times in this thread.  I don't understand the concept of being a pizza "snob" (or any type of food [*1] or beverage for that matter).  There are so many great pizzerias and pies out there - in the country and in the world - get out and enjoy as many as you can!  Chicago and New York aren't the only places that make pizza.  Down with the two-party pizza system!

[*1] Except that ketchup doesn't go on hot dogs. But that's a different thread for another day.
    No no, you can't drop bombs like that and expect no insurgency!
    Ketchup doesn't go on hotdogs???
    What else is it good for if not hotdogs?  That's, like, the second best possible use of ketchup behind french fries!

Ketchup definitely does not belong on hot dogs - this is actually a thing, haha.
    Okay, obviously people can and do put whatever the hell they want on hot dogs, lol. But it is definitely a pretty widely agreed upon thing that ketchup on a hot dog is gauche at best. :lol:
    You guys are literally insane!
    How can pairing the least refined condiment with the least refined form of meat be gauche?
    It's a match made in heaven.
    Just mustard on a hotdog? 
    Just mustard is a wholly imbalanced condimentation for anything other than a Cuban, which brings flavor balance with the cheese.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:
    I've seen the term pizza snob thrown out a few times in this thread.  I don't understand the concept of being a pizza "snob" (or any type of food [*1] or beverage for that matter).  There are so many great pizzerias and pies out there - in the country and in the world - get out and enjoy as many as you can!  Chicago and New York aren't the only places that make pizza.  Down with the two-party pizza system!

[*1] Except that ketchup doesn't go on hot dogs. But that's a different thread for another day.
    What else is it good for if not hotdogs?  That's, like, the second best possible use of ketchup behind french fries!

Ketchup does not go on hot dogs.  My brother does this.  (Ketchup is good for burgers)
    Mustard.
    If you must, Mustard and onions.

I do love Chicago Dogs but they are a whole different deal.

And, I am a Sushi Snob.  1000%.  (I think there is justification for that term...lol)

I had a salad for lunch -- but I was thinking about Pizza.
    I think you have a good case with sushi. I think everyone should expect it to be made by a qualified chef, with fresh ingredients and sushi grade fish. So being a sushi snob should be the norm.

I, too, had a salad for lunch but was thinking about pizza.  Guess I know what's for dinner now.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    When I lived in Tucson I ate an obese person's fair share of Sonoran hot dogs.
    I really enjoy a Cincy Chili dog as well.
    Hot dog snobs probably wouldn't approve of either lol

Yeah this thread in general doesnt promote the best way to a fit body!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Ketchup definitely does not belong on hot dogs - this is actually a thing, haha.
    Okay, obviously people can and do put whatever the hell they want on hot dogs, lol. But it is definitely a pretty widely agreed upon thing that ketchup on a hot dog is gauche at best. :lol:
    How can pairing the least refined condiment with the least refined form of meat be gauche?
    Just mustard is a wholly imbalanced condimentation for anything other than a Cuban, which brings flavor balance with the cheese.
    No, not just mustard. Mustard and onions, sauerkraut, onions, hot peppers, and relish. Yum! A traditional Chicago dog is also delicious, with the pickle. Also pretty good, and a Seattle specialty, is adding a bit of cream cheese. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this point.
    I do think it is great that you made up a word for this point, though!  (And I love a good Cuban sandwich.) 

So back on topic....this is pretty good.  (Aside from the issue with the man saying 'like' over and over when he tries to speak, that drives me nuts.  The 12 year old does it - but this is a grown man.  She seems cool.)  I love that they eat so much of it and it all totals less than 20 euros for 3 pizzas and beverages.

https://youtu.be/7ZR1S3JieHA

On hot dogs:
    Mustard, relish (pickle or hot pepper), onions, slaw, chili, cheese, jalapenos are all perfectly fine for your standard dog.  I don't like kraut, but if you do, it's fine on as well.  Always dress the dog, not the bun - wet first, then chunky. And the mustard should be yellow, never spicy brown.  (Conversely, only spicy brown on brats & the like, never yellow.)
    I consider specialty dogs to be in their own class.  The Chicago dog is delicious and the West Virginia slaw dog (chili sauce, slaw, mustard) is also quite delectable.  My buddy's bar has a dog wrapped in bacon then topped with cream cheese & sriracha, which is pretty damn good.

Anyway, back to pizza...

I recently read an article of the humanitarian acts that Mike Ilitch, deceased owner of Little Caesars (and the Detroit Tigers & Red Wings), had made throughout his life.  Most notably, he paid Rosa Parks rent for years and donated tens of millions through Little Caesars Love Kitchen, which feeds victims of natural disasters.

Then you have "Papa John" Schnatter, who threw a public hissy fit and raised prices & cut workers' hours so he "could afford Obamacare."
    None of those hotdog dressings lend themselves well to a campfire, a boat, or a plain old backyard cookout.
    It's almost like y'all have only ever bought a hotdog and never made one for yourself!
    No ketchup on a hotdog, this lunacy is out of hand I say.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    rgambs said:
    None of those hotdog dressings lend themselves well to a campfire, a boat, or a plain old backyard cookout.
    It's almost like y'all have only ever bought a hotdog and never made one for yourself!
    youre supposed to stop putting ketchup on hotdogs once you start growing pubes. and the sitting down to pee..... never mind. 

PIZZA!

rgambs said:
    Mustard and relish come in smaller, more portable bottles than ketchup!  An onion, also rather convenient.

I can only think of one instance where ketchup on a hot dog is acceptable:  when you're a kid and you eat ketchup on damn near everything. :tongue:
    rgambs said:
    Mustard and relish come in smaller, more portable bottles than ketchup!  An onion, also rather convenient.

I can only think of one instance where ketchup on a hot dog is acceptable:  when you're a kid and you eat ketchup on damn near everything. :tongue:
    Is there a reason or is it just a silly thing that people say?
    I mean, what is the difference between a hotdog and a hamburger that warrants ketchup on one, but not the other? 

I don't think there is any reasonable explanation.
    The primary flavor components of ketchup and relish are the same, sugar and vinegar.

You people have me all twisted up over here.
    I can tell you one thing for sure, the Midwest does not follow this rule, and nobody I know has even heard of it!
    edited July 2017
    rgambs said:
    The primary flavor components of ketchup and relish are the same, sugar and vinegar.

I can tell you one thing for sure, the Midwest does not follow this rule, and nobody I know has even heard of it!
    In Chicago I saw actual signs on some vendors that that say they won't even provide ketchup, and others that did provide it, but under a sign that stated it was a crime, lol ... In fact, I was under the impression that this whole no-ketchup-on-hotdogs thing was born out of Chicago! So I'm so sure about that assumption you're making about the Midwest.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Been to a few stadiums where the dog vendors only carry mustard packets.  (As stated before my brother always asks/puts ketchup on his.  I laugh at him when he has to go to the concession stand and get ketchup.) 
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

In Chicago I saw actual signs on some vendors that that say they won't even provide ketchup, and others that did provide it, but under a sign that stated it was a crime, lol ... In fact, I was under the impression that this whole no-ketchup-on-hotdogs thing was born out of Chicago! So I'm so sure about that assumption you're making about the Midwest.
    Chicago isn't really a Midwestern city.  I mean, geographically it is obviously in the Midwest, but the mindset is entirely different from a city like Cleveland, Des Moines, or Detroit.

They had ketchup at all the vendors in Europe...
    :confused:
    edited July 2017
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Chicago isn't really a Midwestern city.  I mean, geographically it is obviously in the Midwest, but the mindset is entirely different from a city like Cleveland, Des Moines, or Detroit.

Yeah, but Europeans know nothing about hotdogs. :lol:;)

FWIW, tons of people put the crap on their hotdogs, and it is indeed available at most vendors. That doesn't mean that it's right. =)
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

FWIW, tons of people put the crap on their hotdogs, and it is indeed available at most vendors. That doesn't mean that it's right. =)
    I am not sure you should discredit the inventors of the hotdog so casually!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    ketchup on hot dogs? are your crazy? that's as bad as ketchup and scrambled eggs!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited July 2017
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I am not sure you should discredit the inventors of the hotdog so casually!
    Nah, they invented frankfurters. The Americans took their idea and named them hotdogs (and lowered the quality of the wiener in most cases, which is why they are so cheap) ... and this topping argument is super American, hahaha! I never heard anyone debating hotdog toppings until I started talking to a bunch of Yankees, and I realized there was actually a debate about it. :lol:
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I'm pretty sure if the word ketchup is so much as uttered at Gene and Judes (well known hot dog stand outside of Chicago) they will literally throw you out lol.  If not, you'd want to leave for being ridiculed and shamed. 
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i'm a total pizza snob and the best pizza i've had in many years was in ithaca. incredible x 10
    https://www.markspizzeria.com/ithaca
    So it's a Chicago thing I have gathered.
    Another city that thinks they own a food that was invented in another country lol

mcgruff10 said:
    ketchup on hot dogs? are your crazy? that's as bad as ketchup and scrambled eggs!
    Add some high potency hot sauce and ketchup is welcome on my eggs occasionally.
    Eggs (hotdogs too!) are a strong umami profile, which is enhanced with salt and sugar and balanced by sour, which happen to be the dominant flavors of tomato ketchup.  Add hot sauce and you have a very balanced flavor combination.
    It's funny, eggs, hotdogs and fries are the only things I use ketchup on, and there's rules against two of them.
    I feel like some of these food rules aren't based on sound kitchen logic, or any logic at all.

Taste drives it for me.  Wasn't a rule in my family buy good sense prevailed.  ;)

Pizza rocks without any ketchup nor mustard.

(BTW, good hot sauce is an acceptable addition to any meal.)
    Taste drives it for me.  Wasn't a rule in my family buy good sense prevailed.  ;)

Now we have some common ground!  
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:

Hello!  I put that on almost everything.
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:

Hello!  I put that on almost everything.
    :clap:

I make my own and use it almost every day!  
    Best cure for bad pizza.
    edited July 2017
    rgambs said:
    So it's a Chicago thing I have gathered.
    Another city that thinks they own a food that was invented in another country lol

Well, I know people in Canada who have never been to Chicago who know ketchup shouldn't go on hotdogs... I don't know where they figured that out. ;)
    For me, well, the question is somewhat moot. I think ketchup is pretty disgusting in any case and I don't put it on anything. It is the worst condiment on the market. I said it was gauche at best to put ketchup on hotdogs more because I think ketchup is gauche, period. :lol:
    No ketchup on hot dogs is definitely not a Chicago thing.  It's part of the hot dog etiquette from the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council.