Should Pearl Jam Play in Israel?

Comments

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2017
    Radiohead should be called out they could of avoided all the turmoil just by doing a show in Palestine too ! This situation can only be looked at if you play Israel you stand with them ...
    Radiohead fans were attacked by Islamists at a Moon Shaped Pool listening party in Turkey...how well do you think one of their concerts would go over in Hamas controlled territoy?
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Any band should play any place they want to play!!! Nobody can tell someone where or how they do their work. Props to Radiohead for riding against the wave
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    riley540 said:
    Any band should play any place they want to play!!! Nobody can tell someone where or how they do their work. Props to Radiohead for riding against the wave
    Next up, a special concert for ISIS!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    riley540 said:
    Next up, a special concert for ISIS!
    Headliners: The Akbars! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    BS44325 said:
    Radiohead should be called out they could of avoided all the turmoil just by doing a show in Palestine too ! This situation can only be looked at if you play Israel you stand with them ...
    Radiohead fans were attacked by Islamists at a Moon Shaped Pool listening party in Turkey...how well do you think one of their concerts would go over in Hamas controlled territoy?
    Like it or not for them to play Israel it shows support for oppression or maybe you don't see the Palestine people as being oppressed? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    BS44325 said:
    Like it or not for them to play Israel it shows support for oppression or maybe you don't see the Palestine people as being oppressed? 
    would you say the same thing for bands who play in america considering how america oppressing many people around the world.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    fife said:
    BS44325 said:
    would you say the same thing for bands who play in america considering how america oppressing many people around the world.
    i would not begrudge a band for not wanting to play here because of our foreign policy. doesn't really matter to me though, as most bands i like are bands from north america. i would be upset if like iron maiden, or some european bands refused to play here because of our policies, but uk policies are in line with ours so it is a moot discussion. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    fife said:
    BS44325 said:

fife said:
    BS44325 said:
    Yes I would ! 
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife said:
    BS44325 said:

fife said:
    BS44325 said:
    Yes I would ! 
    thanks for answering the question.  I don't know if I agree that if a band plays a place like Isreal or canada or america or any other country means that you support oppression but I am open to being proven wrong on that one
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,347
    no.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    fife said:
    fife said:
    BS44325 said:

fife said:
    BS44325 said:
    Yes I would ! 
    thanks for answering the question.  I don't know if I agree that if a band plays a place like Isreal or canada or america or any other country means that you support oppression but I am open to being proven wrong on that one

This was just discussed on the last page...this is what I said about it:

I'm not aware of an ongoing occupation and ethnic cleansing happening within the US, to which an entire desperate population has requested help to overcome via boycot.  If there was one, it would be a separate discussion.  The occupation is a relatively unique situation in the world today, and should be treated as such - it is modern day colonialism...knowing our own colonial history should not be a reason to back away from peaceful protest in support of other oppressed peoples.

In other words...'why not boycott country x?'  Is a strawman argument that detracts from this discussion.  

From the BDS movement's site:

BDS is a strategy of popular resistance and the most effective strategy of international solidarity with the Palestinian struggle for rights. It is not an ideology or a dogma that can be helpful in all circumstances of injustice.

BDS is a Palestinian-led movement. It is only logical that Palestinians and those who stand in solidarity with their struggle orient their struggle towards Israel, the party that denies Palestinians their freedom, and not towards North Korea, for example. The South African liberation movement also targeted the regime of oppression that they lived under, naturally, not the one in Cambodia or Honduras at the time.

Palestinians are choosing to use and calling for the tactic of BDS to hold Israel to account because it is necessary, morally consistent and effective.

The BDS movement challenges the way in which Israel is singled out for unprecedented support from the international community. Western governments in particular shield Israel from being held to account for its war crimes against Palestinians, allowing it to continue its colonial project without facing consequences. The BDS movement is working to end this exceptionalism and calls for Israel to be held to account according to the standards of international law.

As the South African anti-apartheid leader Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu once said, the west places Israel “on a pedestal,” above international law and above criticism. BDS aims to take Israel off that pedestal to be held accountable for its violations of international law. ​

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Radiohead sucks
    my2hands said:
    Radiohead sucks
    Denier!
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,411
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    Radiohead sucks
    Denier!
    Toxic stew maker!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    Radiohead sucks
    Denier!
    Toxic stew maker!
    The science is settled that Radiohead is amazing.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    Radiohead sucks
    Denier!
    Toxic stew maker!
    take the bleeps and bloops out of their discography, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    Radiohead sucks
    Denier!
    Toxic stew maker!
    take the bleeps and bloops out of their discography, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. 
    OKNOTOK release is excellent.
    Seriously...Man Of War is as good as any Radiohead song ever written. Israel would be lucky to hear that live.
    BS44325 said:
    Seriously...Man Of War is as good as any Radiohead song ever written. Israel would be lucky to hear that live.
    How about the Palestinian fans ..
    BS44325 said:
    Drops mic
    And I stand by my earlier #denier statement lol
    BS44325 said:
    for the win.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

BS44325 said:
    for the win.
    Why? Who is stopping them?
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    PJ Israel ticket... better chance of seeing Jesus on vocals at Stone Poney covering Nirvana Rape Me on Dec 13th

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    JC29856 said:
    PJ Israel ticket... better chance of seeing Jesus on vocals at Stone Poney covering Nirvana Rape Me on Dec 13th

That would be a show!

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • BS44325 said:
    for the win.
    Exactly.
    I have been off this board since the last major Gaza incursion, because arguing whether the sky was blue,(are we occupied, is Israel committing crimes, have they stolen land, etc.) seemed like a manic indulgence as I watched little kids being pulled from rubble on local tv.
    Regarding Radiohead and Roger Waters. Radiohead is doing what is in their capacity and understanding. And so is Roger Waters. Radiohead's understanding and knowledge of what it is like for a Palestinian to not be able to travel for a medical need, never mind one of their concerts, is nil. Their empathy regarding the occupation is negative. And that is Radiohead, that is their understanding, I am not going to ask a second grader to complete a college course in Algebra. Their brains are not capable. The same can be said for Radiohead.  Roger Waters has taken the lead in the music community on this, because it is in his capacity and knowledge. He does not have the fear that many major acts do of losing money, of possibly being ostracized, of being seen as anti-Israel. His fearlessness comes from a knowledge of what it likes for us Palestinians, what it is like for the Israelis, etc. He has immersed himself more than many in the music community and decided that it is within his capacity and ability to stand up for an injustice. I believe that when Eddie  made that speech in concert he reached a point in his knowledge of what it was like, he said what many people close to this situation know. A lot of people "know," but it is not in their capacity for whatever reason to say a thing. Given that, were his few words an act of bravery? Absolutely, we on the Palestinian know it and appreciate it to the fullest. And I also appreciate the fact Pearl Jam have never played israel, and with all my heart and feeling and knowledge believe they won't.
  • I think it's safe to say that Pearl Jam won't play in Israel or Palestine.  I wonder how that lottery for tix would playout.
    I think it's safe to say that Pearl Jam won't play in Israel or Palestine.  I wonder how that lottery for tix would playout.
    Why think about hypotheticals that's like believing Orange bafoon will become presidential ! 
    BS44325 said:
    for the win.
    Exactly.
    I have been off this board since the last major Gaza incursion, because arguing whether the sky was blue,(are we occupied, is Israel committing crimes, have they stolen land, etc.) seemed like a manic indulgence as I watched little kids being pulled from rubble on local tv.
    Regarding Radiohead and Roger Waters. Radiohead is doing what is in their capacity and understanding. And so is Roger Waters. Radiohead's understanding and knowledge of what it is like for a Palestinian to not be able to travel for a medical need, never mind one of their concerts, is nil. Their empathy regarding the occupation is negative. And that is Radiohead, that is their understanding, I am not going to ask a second grader to complete a college course in Algebra. Their brains are not capable. The same can be said for Radiohead.  Roger Waters has taken the lead in the music community on this, because it is in his capacity and knowledge. He does not have the fear that many major acts do of losing money, of possibly being ostracized, of being seen as anti-Israel. His fearlessness comes from a knowledge of what it likes for us Palestinians, what it is like for the Israelis, etc. He has immersed himself more than many in the music community and decided that it is within his capacity and ability to stand up for an injustice. I believe that when Eddie  made that speech in concert he reached a point in his knowledge of what it was like, he said what many people close to this situation know. A lot of people "know," but it is not in their capacity for whatever reason to say a thing. Given that, were his few words an act of bravery? Absolutely, we on the Palestinian know it and appreciate it to the fullest. And I also appreciate the fact Pearl Jam have never played israel, and with all my heart and feeling and knowledge believe they won't.
    welcome back. your voice has been missed around here.

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    BS44325 said:
    for the win.
    Exactly.
    welcome back. your voice has been missed around here.
    i'll second that :smile: