America's Gun Violence

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    That is not strategically smart.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PP193448 said:

unsung said:

Post link to said kit.

Look up ar full auto (parts kit) at gunbroker site. I thought about buying one for mine, but why do I need it??? I thought. Better safe not getting it in case they want to somehow crack down on it in the future...
    One of my relatives got one for a Colt for around $150
    I call BS, knowing what it takes to do this I know the parts are not available on gunbroker.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    unsung said:

PP193448 said:

unsung said:

Post link to said kit.

Look up ar full auto (parts kit) at gunbroker site. I thought about buying one for mine, but why do I need it??? I thought. Better safe not getting it in case they want to somehow crack down on it in the future...
    I call BS, knowing what it takes to do this I know the parts are not available on gunbroker.
    You better have a hell of a lot of paperwork or else you are going to jail.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    unsung said:

When you're more likely to be shot in your own home with your own gun, I would like to know more about your intelligent defensive strategy.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

I can't afford own a tank, I can afford a firearm.

ftfy

There is my issue with the 2nd Amendment. As interpreted now, it only protects those individuals who can afford to purchase a firearm. What about those who can not?
    the 2nd Amendment guarantees your right to own guns if you can afford them or not is your issue, but if past presidents can hand out cell phones why not issue each American citizen a SW 9mm on their 18th birthday ?...now everybody is covered.

Or more logically, the 2nd Amendment was referring to a well-regulated militia, which would make more sense.
    Believe what you want. The highest courts in the United States all agree that the 2nd Amendment applies to "The People" and not only a militia.
    CM189191 said:

unsung said:

When you're more likely to be shot in your own home with your own gun, I would like to know more about your intelligent defensive strategy.
    You are funny.
    mcgruff10 said:

unsung said:

PP193448 said:

unsung said:

Post link to said kit.

You better have a hell of a lot of paperwork or else you are going to jail.
    Not to mention a lot more than $150.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/28/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-suspected-getaway-driver-arrested.html

The would-be burglars had "a short exchange of words" with the homeowner's 23-year-old son before he shot them with a rifle, Wagoner County Deputy Nick Mahoney said. The unnamed shooter has not been charged, and Mahoney said he appeared to be acting in self-defense -- but investigators said more charges could be coming.

Wait, wait, wait...aren't AR-15s impractical for home defense as stated by the anti-firearms experts around here? Seemed awfully practical in this situation...I find it odd that they didn't use the term "assault rifle" as usual. Where is the "teen uses assault rifle to stop three home intruders" NBC headline?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-man-uses-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541
    That doesn't fit the narrative of the radical lefty anti-gunner.
    The narrative at play is righties taking one anecdotal story and then generalizing from there. A 12 gauge is more practical because the shooter is more likely to hit the other person, and misses won't go ripping into the neighbors house.
    What about sick, elderly or otherwise physically weak individuals? I'm pretty sure my grandmother couldn't handle a 12 gauge but she could definitely handle a .223.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

There is my issue with the 2nd Amendment. As interpreted now, it only protects those individuals who can afford to purchase a firearm. What about those who can not?
    the 2nd Amendment guarantees your right to own guns if you can afford them or not is your issue, but if past presidents can hand out cell phones why not issue each American citizen a SW 9mm on their 18th birthday ?...now everybody is covered.

Or more logically, the 2nd Amendment was referring to a well-regulated militia, which would make more sense.
    Isn't it funny how the well-regulated militia part is oft-forgotten?
    Is there anything else in the Bill of Rights that you feel shouldn't apply to individuals?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    dudeman said:

unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/28/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-suspected-getaway-driver-arrested.html

The would-be burglars had "a short exchange of words" with the homeowner's 23-year-old son before he shot them with a rifle, Wagoner County Deputy Nick Mahoney said. The unnamed shooter has not been charged, and Mahoney said he appeared to be acting in self-defense -- but investigators said more charges could be coming.

Wait, wait, wait...aren't AR-15s impractical for home defense as stated by the anti-firearms experts around here? Seemed awfully practical in this situation...I find it odd that they didn't use the term "assault rifle" as usual. Where is the "teen uses assault rifle to stop three home intruders" NBC headline?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-man-uses-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541
    That doesn't fit the narrative of the radical lefty anti-gunner.
    The narrative at play is righties taking one anecdotal story and then generalizing from there. A 12 gauge is more practical because the shooter is more likely to hit the other person, and misses won't go ripping into the neighbors house.
    What about sick, elderly or otherwise physically weak individuals? I'm pretty sure my grandmother couldn't handle a 12 gauge but she could definitely handle a .223.
    Granny could handle a 20 gauge. Have you seen Beverly Hillbillies?
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

Believe what you want. The highest courts in the United States all agree that the 2nd Amendment applies to "The People" and not only a militia.
    I didn't go to law school, but did all the higher courts chime in on the Heller case?
    edited March 2017

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

I didn't go to law school, but did all the higher courts chime in on the Heller case?
    The Supreme Court held:[44]

(1) The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

From Wikipedia for those of us that do not have law degrees, lol
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    Right, that's the Supreme Court. You said highest courts plural. Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but that would include other federal courts.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

(1) The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.

Supreme Court can change it's mind.
    It's funny to see the die hard originalist ignore the original.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

Well until they do again...you are currently wrong if you believe that gun ownership protected by the 2nd Amendment only applies to Militia. Go look up and read Scalia's thoughts on the issue. He explained it pretty well given the language of the time it was written.
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

Well until they do again...you are currently wrong if you believe that gun ownership protected by the 2nd Amendment only applies to Militia. Go look up and read Scalia's thoughts on the issue. He explained it pretty well given the language of the time it was written.
    No thanks, Scalia is well-known for an ability to bend the truth in convincing ways.
    I'm fine with considering everyone subject to militia status, but from an intellectual standpoint, doing so and then simply throwing out the "well-regulated" part is dishonest and disgusting.
    edited March 2017
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

No thanks, Scalia is well-known for an ability to bend the truth in convincing ways.
    He is not the only one with a law degree that interprets it in such as a way that it was not specifically directed towards militias. Do a little research....It is the right of "the people". But keep on believing what you want...even though you are 100% wrong.
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

He is not the only one with a law degree that interprets it in such as a way that it was not specifically directed towards militias. Do a little research....It is the right of "the people". But keep on believing what you want...even though you are 100% wrong.
    There is plenty of disagreement, and most of it is centered around the fact that no other clause in the Constitution is assumed to be extraneous. Imagine if the same rigourous interpretation of the language of the first amendment was used. The consequences could be disastrous.
    And again,
    rgambs said:

I'm fine with considering everyone subject to militia status, but from an intellectual standpoint, doing so and then simply throwing out the "well-regulated" part is dishonest and disgusting.

rgambs said:

And again,

rgambs said:

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php
    "the Court first conducted a textual analysis of the operative clause, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The Court found that this language guarantees an individual right to possess and carry weapons. The Court examined historical evidence that it found consistent with its textual analysis. The Court then considered the Second Amendment’s prefatory clause, "[a] well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," and determined that while this clause announces a purpose for recognizing an individual right to keep and bear arms, it does not limit the operative clause. The Court found that analogous contemporaneous provisions in state constitutions, the Second Amendment’s drafting history, and post-ratification interpretations were consistent with its interpretation of the amendment. The Court asserted that its prior precedent was not inconsistent with its interpretation."
    It isn't a prefatory clause, it is an ablative absolute, which was common at the time and was used PRECISELY to clarify intent, otherwise it shouldn't exist at all.
    edited March 2017
    rgambs said:

It isn't a prefatory clause, it is an ablative absolute, which was common at the time and was used PRECISELY to clarify intent, otherwise it shouldn't exist at all.

The Supreme Court disagrees with you professor. And I predict that this interpretation will be recognized as long as there is a United States, so I'm not sure why we are even arguing about it. Starting to seem a bit redundant.
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

The Supreme Court disagrees with you professor. And I predict that this interpretation will be recognized as long as there is a United States, so I'm not sure why we are even arguing about it. Starting to seem a bit redundant.
    The Supreme Court also found that corporations are people, conservative courts make all sorts of decisions that don't make much sense.

edited March 2017
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

The Supreme Court also found that corporations are people, conservative courts make all sorts of decisions that don't make much sense.

You make it seem as though conservatives are the only ones that believe people have the right to own firearms...This is most definitely not true. It's actually a pretty bipartisan issue and many conservatives and liberals swing their votes based on this. If nothing else, the majority of people in the US believe in an individuals right to own firearms. In all honesty, I'm not sure I know a single person that does not own at least one...That being said, I do not hang around with any felons that I am aware of, lol
    edited March 2017
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

You make it seem as though conservatives are the only ones that believe people have the right to own firearms...This is most definitely not true. It's actually a pretty bipartisan issue and many conservatives and liberal swing their votes based on this.
    Not at all, you are misstating my position. Individuals certainly have the right to bear arms, but that right is not independent of the law and sensible regulations implemented by the legislature. Your strict interpretation should allow murderers to have guns in prison! After all, that right shall not be infringed. If that is the operative clause and it is absolute, there's no question, right?
    edited March 2017
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

You make it seem as though conservatives are the only ones that believe people have the right to own firearms...This is most definitely not true. It's actually a pretty bipartisan issue and many conservatives and liberal swing their votes based on this.
    Not at all, you are misstating my position. Individuals certainly have the right to bear arms, but that right is not independent of the law and sensible regulations implemented by the legislature. Your strict interpretation should allow murderers to have guns in prison! After all, that right shall not be infringed. If that is the operative clause and it is absolute, there's no question, right?
    I never said that. I do not think you are infringing on a person's rights if they have abused them (in the case of murderers in prison). Sensible regulations does not = infringement, but we just disagree on the line between sensible regulations vs infringements. I do not believe that semi-automatic rifles should be banned and you do. I do not believe that firearms should only be in the hands of "well regulated militia", but you do. I believe that the right to own firearms is of "the people", and you do not.
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

I never said that. I do not think you are infringing on a person's rights if they have abused them (in the case of murderers in prison). Sensible regulations does not = infringement, but we just disagree on the line between sensible regulations vs infringements. I do not believe that semi-automatic rifles should be banned and you do. I do not believe that firearms should only be in the hands of "well regulated militia", but you do. I believe that the right to own firearms is of "the people", and you do not.
    I do not believe semi-automatic rifles should be banned, in fact, I own one.
    I also do not believe that only those in well-regulated militia should be allowed to bear arms, I do believe it is the right of the people.
    What I don't believe in is enthusiasts and deranged "patriots" disregarding and refuting the first half of the amendment in a dishonest attempt to label any regulation as infringement.
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

I also do not believe that only those in well-regulated militia should be allowed to bear arms, I do believe it is the right of the people.
    What I don't believe in is enthusiasts and deranged "patriots" disregarding and refuting the first half of the amendment in a dishonest attempt to label any regulation as infringement.
    So all of this hubbub and we only slightly disagree on the issue, lol. Well, it was entertaining I guess :)
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

So all of this hubbub and we only slightly disagree on the issue, lol. Well, it was entertaining I guess :)
    We disagree on high capacity magazines as well.
This discussion has been closed.