Recent Wave of Immigrant Arrests - What Does it Mean?

Comments

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

not to mention this fact:
    NOT ONE.
    NOT ONE.
    NOT ONE TERRORIST ATTACK HAS HAPPENED ON US SOIL AS A RESULT OF A REFUGEE.

NOT.
    FREAKING.
    ONE.

"but we gotta keep them all out!!!"

boston bombing ? San Bernardino ? ........oh wait ! they were born here and radicalized right ?
    A nasty infestation that needs to be removed.

I cannot for the life of me understand how someone can refer to a group of people as a "nasty infestion" that "needs to be removed" and still not admit to their racism.

it is just a fucking disgusting thing to say. And I know that the right are getting tired of the Hitler comparison, but that definitely falls under the category of something he would have said.
    well aren't you the saint, better wake up man, the world is not as neat and tidy as you would like to believe, do some research on countries that have accepted muslim immigrants.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

TRUMP ADMINISTRATION CONSIDERS MOBILISING AS MANY AS 100,000 NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS TO ROUND UP UNAUTHORISED IMMIGRANTS.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_APNEWSALERT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-17-10-11-22

YESSSSS !!!!!!!!!!

From what I understand it would be illegal and unconstitutional. Not that you would care.
    time to clean the books and get the undocumented
    dignin said:

dignin said:

TRUMP ADMINISTRATION CONSIDERS MOBILISING AS MANY AS 100,000 NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS TO ROUND UP UNAUTHORISED IMMIGRANTS.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_APNEWSALERT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-17-10-11-22

YESSSSS !!!!!!!!!!

From what I understand it would be illegal and unconstitutional. Not that you would care.
    illegal and unconstitunional ? ....arresting and deporting ILLEGAL immigrants is illegal and unconstitutional ??
    I'd bet you are wrong on that, and you're right I probably wouldn't.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

not to mention this fact:
    NOT ONE.
    NOT ONE.
    NOT ONE TERRORIST ATTACK HAS HAPPENED ON US SOIL AS A RESULT OF A REFUGEE.

NOT.
    FREAKING.
    ONE.

"but we gotta keep them all out!!!"

boston bombing ? San Bernardino ? ........oh wait ! they were born here and radicalized right ?
    A nasty infestation that needs to be removed.

I cannot for the life of me understand how someone can refer to a group of people as a "nasty infestion" that "needs to be removed" and still not admit to their racism.

it is just a fucking disgusting thing to say. And I know that the right are getting tired of the Hitler comparison, but that definitely falls under the category of something he would have said.
    well aren't you the saint, better wake up man, the world is not as neat and tidy as you would like to believe, do some research on countries that have accepted muslim immigrants.

I have done research, I know the facts. but those facts get in the way your racism and bigotry and fear.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245

research on countries that have accepted muslim immigrants.

The US accepted Muslims before the US Civil War Wikipedia article

While an estimated 10 to 30 percent[6][7] of the slaves brought to colonial America from Africa arrived as Muslims,[8][9] Islam was stringently suppressed on plantations.[6] Prior to the late 19th century, most documented non-enslaved Muslims in North America were merchants, travelers, and sailors.[8]

From the 1880s to 1914, several thousand Muslims immigrated to the United States from the former territories of the Ottoman Empire and the former Mughal Empire.

In 2005, more people from Muslim-majority countries became legal permanent United States residents—nearly 96,000—than there had been in any other year in the previous two decades.[13][14] In 2009, more than 115,000 Muslims became legal residents of the United States.[15]
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

A suspicious pattern is emerging for how the White House handles its most controversial plans

http://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-handling-of-controversial-plans-2017-2
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588

dignin said:

YESSSSS !!!!!!!!!!

he's doing what he said he would do.....most presidents don't make good on campaign promises.

I'm not an attorney, but can you use the National Guard as federal law enforcement agents? Gee, what could go wrong?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    unsung said:

At what point have we met our moral obligation to help poor people?

At the point when the system doesn't create poverty and an outrageous imbalance in the distribution of wealth... so essentially, when there are no more poor people. Does that work for you?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

unsung said:

Literally dozens of people?

LOL. They have it so rough those Canadians.
    the point is many people are fleeing the US and coming to Canada, in the middle of winter, on foot. I thought the US was the land of opportunity!
    I guess the American dream is pretty much dead, eh?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203

unsung said:

the point is many people are fleeing the US and coming to Canada, in the middle of winter, on foot. I thought the US was the land of opportunity!
    If your elite,than it is.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    joseph33 said:

unsung said:

If your elite,than it is.
    Not true. Compared against the rest of the world the US still offers great opportunities for people who are willing to work hard. Why do you think there is an immigration problem?

the mainstream media will have you believe that the recent wave of door to door deportations was mothers and hotel maids...but the truth is ALL those arrested and set for deportation have criminal records including rape and murder...and that's who you guy are defending.
  • the mainstream media will have you believe that the recent wave of door to door deportations was mothers and hotel maids...but the truth is ALL those arrested and set for deportation have criminal records including rape and murder...and that's who you guy are defending.

How about some link to support this statement GF?

I have no problem with your country deporting rapists and murderers.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

the mainstream media will have you believe that the recent wave of door to door deportations was mothers and hotel maids...but the truth is ALL those arrested and set for deportation have criminal records including rape and murder...and that's who you guy are defending.

And by criminal record you include the woman who was deported because she voted, right? That heinous act of voting..... for Trump.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

At the point when the system doesn't create poverty and an outrageous imbalance in the distribution of wealth... so essentially, when there are no more poor people. Does that work for you?
    Stop giving them incentives to remain poor then.

And by criminal record you include the woman who was deported because she voted, right? That heinous act of voting..... for Trump.
    illegal immigrant who voted 3 times in just the last election ? that's sounds like a criminal record to me.

illegal immigrant who voted 3 times in just the last election ? that's sounds like a criminal record to me.

No. The immigrant who was brought to the US by her family when she was a young child, who had lived in the US all her life, who was employed, raising her children, and had landed immigrant status. She voted - once - in the election, and got deported for it a couple of weeks ago.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited February 2017

No. The immigrant who was brought to the US by her family when she was a young child, who had lived in the US all her life, who was employed, raising her children, and had landed immigrant status. She voted - once - in the election, and got deported for it a couple of weeks ago.
    Why would she vote if she's not a legal citizen?? Just asking. Can you go and vote in Canada if your not a citizen there?? It is inappropriate and extreme to deport her, but why would you do something illegal to potentially lead to deportation?? Plus if she's been in the US all her life, why did she not go thru steps to become a legal citizen?? Seems like common sense to me...
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    edited February 2017
    PP193448 said:

Why would she vote if she's not a legal citizen?? Just asking. Can you go and vote in Canada if your not a citizen there?? It is inappropriate and extreme to deport her, but why would you do something illegal to potentially lead to deportation?? Plus if she's been in the US all her life, why did she not go thru steps to become a legal citizen?? Seems like common sense to me...
    From the news coverage, it just looked as if she was genuinely confused about whether she could vote or not. I can kind of understand that; she grew up in the US, it was her country. She had legal status, was legally allowed to work, etc. Why would anyone risk all of that unless you didn't actually understand you were risking it?

Anyway, she's back in Mexico, where she hasn't lived since childhood, and her children are in the US without their mother. Great outcome.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    edited February 2017

PP193448 said:

From the news coverage, it just looked as if she was genuinely confused about whether she could vote or not. I can kind of understand that; she grew up in the US, it was her country. She had legal status, was legally allowed to work, etc. Why would anyone risk all of that unless you didn't actually understand you were risking it?

Anyway, she's back in Mexico, where she hasn't lived since childhood, and her children are in the US without their mother. Great outcome.
    I guess that is why there needs to be an appropriate vetting immigration process to prevent people like her from deportation. We can't just blindly say let's let everyone in to prevent these cases from happening. The outcome like this is horrible and I do not wish that on any family. But the line is drawn and people who are here "legally" (as in working and paying taxes) need to be encouraged to actually become legal citizens with less stringent process then as is currently. Educate them as such. Then close the borders to those individuals who do not follow the appropriate due process...
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville

PP193448 said:

Is she? I thought she has to serve her sentence first, then she gets deported. I may have read that wrong. I hope I did, I would rather her deported than spend 8 years in prison then get deported.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/us/illegal-voting-gets-texas-woman-8-years-in-prison-and-certain-deportation.html
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

So you're saying there's living wage jobs for everyone and those jobs are sitting unfilled?
    dignin said:

PP193448 said:

Is she? I thought she has to serve her sentence first, then she gets deported. I may have read that wrong. I hope I did, I would rather her deported than spend 8 years in prison then get deported.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/us/illegal-voting-gets-texas-woman-8-years-in-prison-and-certain-deportation.html
    Whoops, you're right, and thank you. Somehow I had forgotten that little detail - 8 years in jail first, then deportation. For voting.

dignin said:

PP193448 said:

Whoops, you're right, and thank you. Somehow I had forgotten that little detail - 8 years in jail first, then deportation. For voting.
    That is fucking ridiculous!!! At least Trump could pardon the jail time...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

dignin said:

PP193448 said:

Unfuckingreal.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Don't mess with Texas.......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

So you're saying there's living wage jobs for everyone and those jobs are sitting unfilled?
    Unsung, do you have any idea what it's like to be poor or homeless? Ever visited your local shelter when they're all lined up to be let in for a cot to sleep on with everything on their back they own? Do you think people enjoy going to the salvation army? Getting food stamps or WIC support? You act like those who are poor live so well that they have no reason to get a job because they've got it made.

Quit your job, give away all your possessions and then go to the local job corps and see how easy it is to find a job that will pay you enough to support basic human needs; food, shelter and clothes. If only they could afford to pay for a membership to post on PJ's forum and put down you and your narrow minded ignorant viewpoint.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    tbergs said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Unsung, do you have any idea what it's like to be poor or homeless? Ever visited your local shelter when they're all lined up to be let in for a cot to sleep on with everything on their back they own? Do you think people enjoy going to the salvation army? Getting food stamps or WIC support? You act like those who are poor live so well that they have no reason to get a job because they've got it made.

Quit your job, give away all your possessions and then go to the local job corps and see how easy it is to find a job that will pay you enough to support basic human needs; food, shelter and clothes. If only they could afford to pay for a membership to post on PJ's forum and put down you and your narrow minded ignorant viewpoint.
    :clap:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    PP193448 said:

dignin said:

PP193448 said:

That is fucking ridiculous!!! At least Trump could pardon the jail time...
    HaH! Not going to happen
    She was clearly part of the millions of illegal votes.
    Even if she voted for the wrong person.