Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    Can't be bothered to read the whole the whole thread, but I'll throw my two pennies in....

As I see it, Dave's time with the band was really important, he was the drummer they needed at the time, he drove those intense full energy shows with his rapidfire drumming, it suited where they were at the time. I think all of PJ's drummers have their good points, but I don't think any of the others play those early songs with quite the intensity that Dave did. That said, I don't think he's doing himself any favours by throwing a strop about it, he's pretty much guaranteeing he won't get an invite, a little more grace might have served him better.

I also think Jack Irons should have been included, again, I think he brought a different and unique style, that really shaped the music they were making at the time. Dave and Jack's exclusion just makes me think that the hall of fame don't really know much of the history of the band.
  • Options
    tkiggstkiggs Posts: 46
    Meanwhile, Ed is surfing a big wave in Hawaii and remembering the World Series and then going home to his beautiful family....
    painted moon

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

If dave was there I would imagine it would be very awkward....why would you want that? Anybody could have drummed during that period; people didn't go to Pearl Jam shows or buy ten-vitalogy because of Dave.

Exactly...... meg white could have played on those albums & they would have been successful.

12 pages arguing over an okay drummer who appeared on 2 of 10 albums. :lol:

Just an okay drummer??!!!
    Yes. I agree he was just an ok drummer.
    +1
    Don't diss on Meg White. I like her drumming :)
    I love The White Stripes, and she's great for that band, but out of all the bands I like, she's probably the least talented drummer.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I'm sure Dave A. felt screwed over back when he was kicked out and probably rightfully so.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    fluff4u said:

jp307677 said:

Enough with this Dave A business. The guy is meaningless, period. Some people will never get over the "Ten era". You could completely erase that entire era and this band would still be just as great.
    Jack Irons and Matt Cameron were the two drummers with the most influence and made a difference in the band.

Jack Irons? Worst of them all.
    Without Jack Irons, no No Code and Yield as they are. Enough said.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    BV84003 said:

^If Ten and Vs. weren't consistently in the top 2 or 3 most played albums on each tour I might be inclined to agree with you, at least about moving on from the past. Dave A made significant contributions to this band at one point in time and that should merely be acknowledged. Period.

Did Dave A write ANY of the music or lyrics, or for that matter have anything to do with the direction of the songs on those albums? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". Those albums would have happened with or without him.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2016
    jp307677 said:

BV84003 said:

^If Ten and Vs. weren't consistently in the top 2 or 3 most played albums on each tour I might be inclined to agree with you, at least about moving on from the past. Dave A made significant contributions to this band at one point in time and that should merely be acknowledged. Period.

Did Dave A write ANY of the music or lyrics, or for that matter have anything to do with the direction of the songs on those albums? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". Those albums would have happened with or without him.
    Dave A actually has writing credits on all of VS and a majority of Vitalogy. The band shared credits for a majority of those 2 albums.
  • Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 193
    jp307677 said:

BV84003 said:

Dave did have writing credits on VS and Vitalogy. Any of us on here that were around and got to see them play during the time of ten and VS will agree that Dave had a lot to do with the energy and sound then.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited December 2016
    .I can't say I give a flying fuck that Dave A isn't being inducted (and I think it would be in his best interests to shut up about it on social media), but I do think it would be a nice gesture if one of the band members invited him as a guest, to sit with them and join them on stage during their acceptance speech... Of course, I have no idea if Dave A would be happy to do such a thing if he was asked. For all we know, that would be like salt in the wound for him. There are a lot of options for how Dave might feel in such a situation. I also have no idea how awkward or not awkward it might be for any of the band members. That seems like a personal issue to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tkiggs said:

Meanwhile, Ed is surfing a big wave in Hawaii and remembering the World Series and then going home to his beautiful family....

And also probably thinking about how fucking cool and amazing and kind of mind blowing it is that he's going to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Dave did ride the wave with them during their peak popularity.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    This is a tough one. Matt has put in the the most time. But PJ was already on their way to the RNR HOF before he joined up. They were going in with or without Matt. I guess it's too bad they can't put them all in.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Sarava said:

This is a tough one. Matt has put in the the most time. But PJ was already on their way to the RNR HOF before he joined up. They were going in with or without Matt. I guess it's too bad they can't put them all in.

I wonder. Do you think that if PJ hadn't persisted after Vitalogy they would have been inducted? I honestly don't know. It's possible that if they hadn't stayed together all these years and stopped after 3 albums they and their first 3 albums would have lost a fair bit of relevance. It's possible that the way they endured after the early years had a big role in keeping those albums as relevant as they still are. Also, the RRHOF does really seem to take less popular yet outstanding work into serious consideration. PJ's earliest albums were certainly the most popular and successful, but they have had the full influence that they have by years and years of touring, building and keeping a relatively unusually dedicated fan base, and I'm sure the RRHOF folks have total understanding when it comes to the importance of the band's extraordinary endurance after their first few years and their consistent big presence in the music world. Not to mention the insane quality of the music that came after Vitalogy. In other words, PJ's most famous albums are far from the only thing that define their overall legacy in the music world. They alone may not have been enough to make them a shoe-in on their first nomination. I actually doubt they would have been if they'd broken up in the mid-90s.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    This story is being covered by every outlet right now...crazy

I guess if I was David A I would want to be nominated as well and rightfully so since he was with them at the peak of popularity... there's an argument that could be made for almost all of them Jack Irons in my opinion is the reason why the band is still going and did not dissolve after Vitalogy but I'm sure that's not a qualification to being inducted
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Let's give Sonic Youths drummer some love.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

I wonder. Do you think that if PJ hadn't persisted after Vitalogy they would have been inducted? I honestly don't know. It's possible that if they hadn't stayed together all these years and stopped after 3 albums they and their first 3 albums would have lost a fair bit of relevance. It's possible that the way they endured after the early years had a big role in keeping those albums as relevant as they still are. Also, the RRHOF does really seem to take less popular yet outstanding work into serious consideration. PJ's earliest albums were certainly the most popular and successful, but they have had the full influence that they have by years and years of touring, building and keeping a relatively unusually dedicated fan base, and I'm sure the RRHOF folks have total understanding when it comes to the importance of the band's extraordinary endurance after their first few years and their consistent big presence in the music world. Not to mention the insane quality of the music that came after Vitalogy. In other words, PJ's most famous albums are far from the only thing that define their overall legacy in the music world. They alone may not have been enough to make them a shoe-in on their first nomination. I actually doubt they would have been if they'd broken up in the mid-90s.
    They put Nirvana in with 3 albums, why not Pearl Jam? Without those first 3 and the explosion of popularity they would likely not be considered.

DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Can Dale Doback get some love? He rocked the Catalina Wine Mixer.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited December 2016
    I'm just amazed Pearl Jam has lasted over two decades without their driving force.

(Edited for grammar)
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    MedozK said:

jp307677 said:

BV84003 said:

Dave A actually has writing credits on all of VS and a majority of Vitalogy. The band shared credits for a majority of those 2 albums.
    the writing credits officially go to all the band members on those two albums, and they stopped that after dave was let go. he actually wrote Go and co-wrote WMA and Last Exit.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    Rock and roll hall or not Dave A is an absolute beast behind the kit and will always the drummer of the best live gig I have ever seen.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

I'm just amazed Pearl Jam had lasted over two decades without their driving force.

Lol. Nice!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

They put Nirvana in with 3 albums, why not Pearl Jam? Without those first 3 and the explosion of popularity they would likely not be considered.

Eddie Vedder didn't blow his brains out.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

Eddie Vedder didn't blow his brains out.
    So?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

I'm just amazed Pearl Jam has lasted over two decades without their driving force.

(Edited for grammar)

They recorded The Fixer and Olé without their "driving force"

DAVE A WOULD NEVER HAVE LET THAT HAPPEN!

:P
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Unnecessary for this ro polarise the board to this extent.

It's the internet and all.

But, I don't think anyone would have bat an eye if all the drummers were inducted or would have been all "why did Dave A get inducted?!?!"

So, lets all just agree that if would have been more "fun" if all members of the band through history would have been inducted. Now that didn't happen, so be it.

Instead of talking down Dave, or Matt or whoever have meant the most and such.

Pearl Jam as a band, all of their incarnations and everything they have accomplished should be indicted. Not some weird slice of the band.

Mmm.

Neil Young Decade is such a great compilation.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

But, I don't think anyone would have bat an eye if all the drummers were inducted or would have been all "why did Dave A get inducted?!?!"

So, lets all just agree that if would have been more "fun" if all members of the band through history would have been inducted. Now that didn't happen, so be it.

Pearl Jam as a band, all of their incarnations and everything they have accomplished should be indicted. Not some weird slice of the band.

Mmm.

the band should be indicted??? on what charges???
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Mmm.

the band should be indicted??? on what charges???
    For kicking out the greatest drummer of all time.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

After vitalogy? That's different than what I spoke of, which was Matt joining (he joined after Yield). After Yield, yes they were basically a lock at that point to me. After Vitalogy, probably but not for sure. At that point they probably just needed to put out a few decent albums, to make the catalog deeper.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    Sarava said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

After vitalogy? That's different than what I spoke of, which was Matt joining (he joined after Yield). After Yield, yes they were basically a lock at that point to me. After Vitalogy, probably but not for sure. At that point they probably just needed to put out a few decent albums, to make the catalog deeper.
    When you look at pieces written on Pearl Jam's legacy, they always focus on 1991-1994 and briefly cover the rest in a paragraph or less. Hell, PJ20 did the same thing. While Pearl Jam post-1994 is important to us as fans, its not hailed as their best work by others, for better or for worse.

When it comes down to the RnRHOF, it's absolutely the first three albums and a nod of existence and survival for the following seven.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    tkiggstkiggs Posts: 46
    Well anyway, congrats to my favorite band!
    painted moon

This discussion has been closed.