Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,290
    381 home runs, 1192 rbi's, .258 career batting average. last weekend here for the greatest lefty power hitter in franchise history and an all around classy guy. can't think of another Philly athlete who took so much shit yet rarely if ever complained about it. Only one who I think comes close in that regard was Pat Burrell. Either way Ryan will be missed. Someday the haters will learn to appreciate how great he was.

and some nice words from Cole Hamels
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/09/30/cole-hamels-ryan-howard-wonderful-human/

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,254
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Cool turnout for Howard.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited October 2016
    The wheels came off during the second half of his career but that stretch from his rookie year through the World Series trips totally outweighs any of that. As a little kid (late 80's), I always said "I'd love to see the Phillies with the World Series!" and it happened thanks in large part to Howard. Respect...

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Thank you Ryan!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,468
    Class act from start to finish. That was great yesterday.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Class act from start to finish. That was great yesterday.

was really nice. kind of surprised to see Ryan tear up but I guess the finality hit him and maybe the realization that there is a lot of appreciation for what he has done here.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    this happened 6 years ago today. still gives me goosebumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWgTPms9-Jo
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

this happened 6 years ago today. still gives me goosebumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWgTPms9-Jo

man chooch made a great play for the last out.

man those were fun times. I used to love those late afternoon playoff games too. so many great memories from those 5 years
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    John Clark wears the worst suits and awful contrasting colors. Can't someone say something to him. It's so brutal
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Ha yeah dude. I thought the same thing. Cool venue though
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831

Wobbie said:
    I don't know how I feel about this - I always knew there was a part of me that would turn on Goose Island at some point since getting eaten up by AB.

Also, Fishtown = overrated. I mostly say that because fuck if I ever go that far out of my way unless I'm going to see a show. Though, I'm down for checking out that axe throwing place at some point.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Wobbie said:
    I don't know how I feel about this - I always knew there was a part of me that would turn on Goose Island at some point since getting eaten up by AB.

Also, Fishtown = overrated. I mostly say that because fuck if I ever go that far out of my way unless I'm going to see a show. Though, I'm down for checking out that axe throwing place at some point.
    Eh, I think it's cool there will be a brew pub with good beer right by The Fillmore.

Fishtown is what it is. Definitely overrated at this point but has some cool spots. Think we're doing a work event at the ax place. haha
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited October 2016
    Goose Island IPA still tastes good. I think AB is using a hands off approach for the microbreweries they're buying. Haven't made it to the Fillmore yet. Any of you?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    JK_Livin said:

Goose Island IPA still tastes good. I think AB is using a hands off approach for the microbreweries they're buying. Haven't made it to the Fillmore yet. Any of you?

Yeah, it's awesome. The best mid-sized venue in the city by a mile.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Eh, it's alright I guess - I mean I'll take almost anything in pale ale form. I just see this as AB in Goose Island clothing trying to capitalize on something based on a formula. Anyway, I have no reason to go all the way up there to give my money to Bud when we're loaded with so many better options.

JK_Livin said:

Really? Looking forward to checking it out in November then.

If I'm ranking Philly venues (and I'm killing time at work) I go:

1. Boot & Saddle
    2. Johnny Brenda's
    3. Tower
    4. Union Transfer
    5. TLA
    6. World Cafe
    7. Troc
    8. Connie's Ric-Rac
    9. Milkboy
    10. The Fire
    11. Barbary
    12. Mann
    13. Wells Fargo
    14. Camden/E-Center/Whatever
    999,999,999,999. Electric Factory

Haven't been to Underground Arts or Fillmore yet; gotta get there. Honorable Mention to the First Unitarian Church based on older shows, haven't been there in ages.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

Eh, it's alright I guess - I mean I'll take almost anything in pale ale form. I just see this as AB in Goose Island clothing trying to capitalize on something based on a formula. Anyway, I have no reason to go all the way up there to give my money to Bud when we're loaded with so many better options.

JK_Livin said:

1. Boot & Saddle
    2. Johnny Brenda's
    3. Tower
    4. Union Transfer
    5. TLA
    6. World Cafe
    7. Troc
    8. Connie's Ric-Rac
    9. Milkboy
    10. The Fire
    11. Barbary
    12. Mann
    13. Wells Fargo

Haven't been to Underground Arts or Fillmore yet; gotta get there. Honorable Mention to the First Unitarian Church based on older shows, haven't been there in ages.
    I need to get out more. I've only been to the Tower, Troc, TLA, Mann, WF, Camden, Merriam & Electric Factory that I can think of unless some places changed names. I've enjoyed my times at the Electric Factory.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

1. Boot & Saddle
    2. Johnny Brenda's
    3. Tower
    4. Union Transfer
    5. TLA
    6. World Cafe
    7. Troc
    8. Connie's Ric-Rac
    9. Milkboy
    10. The Fire
    11. Barbary
    12. Mann
    13. Wells Fargo

So I guess I when I say mid-sized venue I am thinking more along the lines of Tower, TLA, Troc, Electric Factory, etc. Those smaller spots are obviously awesome, but you're with a couple hundred people versus a couple thousand.

Fillmore is really cool. Has an awesome atmosphere, it looks really cool, the stage is high, which is awesome for a GA venue, sound is good. I also really like being able to hang out in back and see/hear. Fillmore is perfect for that. Electric Factory is the worst. Unless you get there an hour before the show, you can't see dick.

I don't think the church does shows anymore, right? I love that place. So random.

Dafuq is The Fire?!
  • Options
    On a side note, f' the PPA. Just paid a ticket for parking in the middle of Washington at the Italian market. It ain't right.
  • Options
    8 years ago today was Stairs' Moonshot.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

1. Boot & Saddle
    2. Johnny Brenda's
    3. Tower
    4. Union Transfer
    5. TLA
    6. World Cafe
    7. Troc
    8. Connie's Ric-Rac
    9. Milkboy
    10. The Fire
    11. Barbary
    12. Mann
    13. Wells Fargo

So I guess I when I say mid-sized venue I am thinking more along the lines of Tower, TLA, Troc, Electric Factory, etc. Those smaller spots are obviously awesome, but you're with a couple hundred people versus a couple thousand.

Fillmore is really cool. Has an awesome atmosphere, it looks really cool, the stage is high, which is awesome for a GA venue, sound is good. I also really like being able to hang out in back and see/hear. Fillmore is perfect for that. Electric Factory is the worst. Unless you get there an hour before the show, you can't see dick.

I don't think the church does shows anymore, right? I love that place. So random.

Dafuq is The Fire?!
    Fire is like Boot & Saddle/North Star-ish, but smaller. I dunno, I've seen a few random bands there. I know they closed down for a bit. Which, by the way, I wish North Star was still open - loved that place.

Yeah, no, I hear ya on the mid-size place, but it got me thinking. Fillmore sounds a lot like Union Transfer, which I love.

On a side note, f' the PPA. Just paid a ticket for parking in the middle of Washington at the Italian market. It ain't right.

Sorry, Cliff, no mercy on this one. I want parking gone from the middle Broad, so that sounds like the same deal. Hopefully with all this diddling going on in the PPA, though, that it changes - it doesn't make an ounce of sense that they're run by the state, aren't open to routine audits, and dictate how taxis/Uber/Lyft operate in the city. In that sense they are idiots.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

1. Boot & Saddle
    2. Johnny Brenda's
    3. Tower
    4. Union Transfer
    5. TLA
    6. World Cafe
    7. Troc
    8. Connie's Ric-Rac
    9. Milkboy
    10. The Fire
    11. Barbary
    12. Mann
    13. Wells Fargo

Dafuq is The Fire?!
    Fire is like Boot & Saddle/North Star-ish, but smaller. I dunno, I've seen a few random bands there. I know they closed down for a bit. Which, by the way, I wish North Star was still open - loved that place.

Yeah, no, I hear ya on the mid-size place, but it got me thinking. Fillmore sounds a lot like Union Transfer, which I love.

Sorry, Cliff, no mercy on this one. I want parking gone from the middle Broad, so that sounds like the same deal. Hopefully with all this diddling going on in the PPA, though, that it changes - it doesn't make an ounce of sense that they're run by the state, aren't open to routine audits, and dictate how taxis/Uber/Lyft operate in the city. In that sense they are idiots.
    Ah, word. I never made it to North Star. Have had a good time at Kybher though (before it is what it is now). Though still cool. I think I'll be going to that show too, just gonna get tickets closer to.

Nah, dude, what they hell is the problem with parking in middle? Who does it harm as long as you aren't blocking a turning lane? Why the hell does Washington Ave need a full lane in the middle for nothing? I'm at the Italian Market for 20 minutes stopping at the butcher and produce stands, why they hell I gotta drive around the block 4 times looking for parking dealing with all the Jersey numbnuts (Sorry JK) going to brunch?!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,468
    I guess I have irrationally avoided Goose Island since learning AB owns it. But I've always enjoyed their beers and have heard AB is actually pretty hands off. Perhaps it's time to give them another shot.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2016

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

1. Boot & Saddle
    2. Johnny Brenda's
    3. Tower
    4. Union Transfer
    5. TLA
    6. World Cafe
    7. Troc
    8. Connie's Ric-Rac
    9. Milkboy
    10. The Fire
    11. Barbary
    12. Mann
    13. Wells Fargo

Dafuq is The Fire?!
    yeah fillmore is great! First Unitarian Church still does shows (not that many though). Never heard of Connie RicRac. Barabry and Fire i've heard of but never been to.

Here's my list

1. Union Transfer
    2. Tower Theater
    3. Fillmore
    4. Johnny Brenda's
    5. Mann Center
    6. World Cafe Live
    7. Trocadero
    8. Boot & Saddle (only been there once but dug it)
    9. TLA (sound has gotten bad there, IMO)
    10. Underground Arts
    11. First Unitarian Church
    12. Kung Fu Necktie
    13. Milkboy (only been there once, only problem i had with it was the location)
    14. Wells Fargo Center
    15. Penn's Landing
    16. Electric Factory (used to be my favorite venue about 10 years ago)
    17. Blockbuster/Tweeter/Susquehanna/BB&T place in Camden

RIP: Northstar Bar and The Khyber
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    edited October 2016

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

1. Boot & Saddle
    2. Johnny Brenda's
    3. Tower
    4. Union Transfer
    5. TLA
    6. World Cafe
    7. Troc
    8. Connie's Ric-Rac
    9. Milkboy
    10. The Fire
    11. Barbary
    12. Mann
    13. Wells Fargo

Dafuq is The Fire?!
    yeah fillmore is great! First Unitarian Church still does shows (not that many though). Never heard of Connie RicRac. Barabry and Fire i've heard of but never been to.

Here's my list

1. Union Transfer
    2. Tower Theater
    3. Fillmore
    4. Johnny Brenda's
    5. Mann Center
    6. World Cafe Live
    7. Trocadero
    10. Underground Arts
    12. Kung Fu Necktie
    14. Wells Fargo Center
    15. Penn's Landing

Forgot about Kung Fu - saw an absolutely awful metal band there that made my ears, and eyes, bleed; and Penn's Landing - are we talking Penn's Landing Penn's Landing, or Festival Pier? I have....shall we say fond memories of Festival Pier. What I'm saying is I got stuck on top of those tall pointy fence posts down there sneaking backstage to a Flogging Molly show. Have your imagination do what it wishes as to a man, and his crotch, being stuck on top of a very tall, very pointy fence.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

1. Boot & Saddle
    2. Johnny Brenda's
    3. Tower
    4. Union Transfer
    5. TLA
    6. World Cafe
    7. Troc
    8. Connie's Ric-Rac
    9. Milkboy
    10. The Fire
    11. Barbary
    12. Mann
    13. Wells Fargo

Dafuq is The Fire?!

Here's my list

1. Union Transfer
    2. Tower Theater
    3. Fillmore
    4. Johnny Brenda's
    5. Mann Center
    6. World Cafe Live
    7. Trocadero
    10. Underground Arts
    12. Kung Fu Necktie
    14. Wells Fargo Center
    15. Penn's Landing

Forgot about Kung Fu - saw an absolutely awful metal band there that made my ears, and eyes, bleed; and Penn's Landing - are we talking Penn's Landing Penn's Landing, or Festival Pier? I have....shall we say fond memories of Festival Pier. What I'm saying is I got stuck on top of those tall pointy fence posts down there sneaking backstage to a Flogging Molly show. Have your imagination do what it wishes as to a man, and his crotch, being stuck on top of a very tall, very pointy fence.
    oh yeah forgot about festival pier. was mainly thinking Penn's Landing (that's the bigger one right?)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Mrs FMe and I met some friends @ ZAMA last night for a nice sushi/sake extravaganza. Went in at 7...walked through the park on the way to ZAMA from the train. Noted how many fucking derelicts were out with the warmer weather.
    Came out of the restaurant at 10:00 and saw Action News trucks at the end of 19th/on the park. Asked someone what happened and they told us. Pretty crazy.
    philly.com/philly/news/20161019_Man_shot_trying_to_stop_a_stickup_in_Rittenhouse_Square.html
    (Went to Mission Taqueria for a few tasty tequila drinks after.)
    Good night out in Philly but the animals are taking this place over.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Mrs FMe and I met some friends @ ZAMA last night for a nice sushi/sake extravaganza. Went in at 7...walked through the park on the way to ZAMA from the train. Noted how many fucking derelicts were out with the warmer weather.
    Came out of the restaurant at 10:00 and saw Action News trucks at the end of 19th/on the park. Asked someone what happened and they told us. Pretty crazy.
    philly.com/philly/news/20161019_Man_shot_trying_to_stop_a_stickup_in_Rittenhouse_Square.html
    (Went to Mission Taqueria for a few tasty tequila drinks after.)
    Good night out in Philly but the animals are taking this place over.

For one, Zama is awesome. Gotta get to Mission

I saw this last night on Twitter. Pretty crazy. Nothing ever happens in Rittenhouse. Also my hood had SWAT all over it last night. Watched for about a half hour. Was boring...

http://6abc.com/news/man-surrenders-to-police-in-south-philadelphia-barricade/1561526/

Center City is fine. If anything they are just clearing it out like NY did with midtown and sending the problems elsewhere. Was just in Kenzington this morning...now good god on that...