September 11th, 2001

Comments

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

mcgruff10 said:

I think -
    15 years in I finally understand why president bush attacked Afghanistan and Iraq. This country was attacked in a manor that we hadn't seen since world war 2. (Divine wind). Good on him trying to bring the war over there as opposed to here. Fuck radical Islam.

Please, please forgive me I don't mean to detract from the OP's wonderful effort in posting this thread on this day. However, regardless of how this country was attacked that terrible action gives this country the right to go out and attack Afghanistan and Iraq? IF so why not attack Saudi Arabia where most of those (terrorists) who attacked us were from.

ALL LIVES MATTER across the vast expanse of this wrorld....the 1.5 million plus that have been killed due those wars matter. Such a terrible day.

Peace

I don't know how you can defend not atracking Afghanistan and like I said it took me 15 years to understand why president bush attacked Iraq.
    So your complaint is we didn't arrack Saudi Arabia?? Well I agree with you. We should have.
    I will defend not getting into just about any war because once a country does it's extremely difficult to bring it to an end while so many lives are destroyed and brought to an end. However, I gather we had to flex our might and so this country certainly did.

I will now get back to the theme of this thread which what this day, this thread means to those still here to discuss it.

Peace

(I forgot to say NOT in my opening sentence sorry about that)

Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited September 2016
    I’M A VETERAN. HERE’S WHY I’M NOT GOING TO SHED A DAMNED TEAR TODAY.

http://usuncut.com/news/im-veteran-heres-im-not-going-shed-damned-tear-today/

( it's not what you think, read it it's good)
    Post edited by Free on
    mcgruff10 said:

Because the United States was attacked in a way unforeseen since 1941. Your best intelligence pointed to Iraq.
    You could make the same argument against Germany during ww2.

Iraq did not attack the U.S.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

Because the United States was attacked in a way unforeseen since 1941. Your best intelligence pointed to Iraq.

No shit Sherlock. Neither did Germany. Hence my correlation.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

15 years?
    edited September 2016
    Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

15 years?
    Yeah it took me 15 years to realize w was right to invade Iraq and Afghanistan. If I was the president and got the best intelligence possible presented to me I would have also done the same thing after 9/11. Something clicked in my head over the past few days.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    edited September 2016
    My sister now works in the Freedom Tower and she was so nervous when her company moved there. She sees it as STILL. a target, I could only tell her that I'm pretty sure security has to be very high for all who work there. I totally forgot how she hates heights.

That said I've been in one of those Towers all the way to the top and I took many views looking down. I was amazed how tiny cars, trucks, trains, boats were. I love heights, I have no fear of it but I've imagined many times being in the shoes of those jumpers and thinking what might have been going through their minds. Looking around and KNOWING my end is near, that scary thought can crush any non fear one might have of heights. I think of that one particular jumper and how he may have come to that peaceful fate....then decided to jump head first to those at peace 11 seconds.

That brings me to this song performed by one of my all time favorite bands....LIVING COLOUR out of NYC.

The song is called Flying....

https://youtu.be/KwfOLoreSHk

Lyrics
    I jumped out of the window to get to the parking lot
    I'm writing this little song on my way down
    Never in my life have I felt a heat so hot
    I had to get out

Such a lovely day to go flying
    The sky is so clear, the sun is shining
    Fate has given me wings
    Such a terrible funny thing

I was gathering up my nerve to ask out Carmen
    She glanced out of the window, oh my God!
    The room, it went away, now we're holding hands
    Just not the way I planned

Fate has given me wings
    Such a terrible funny thing, funny thing
    I jumped…

It's really a love song but one can see the correlation to 9/11.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

15 years?
    Yeah it took me 15 years to realize w was right to invade Iraq and Afghanistan. If I was the president and got the best intelligence possible presented to me I would have also done the same thing after 9/11. Something cliqued with me over the past few days.

No comment.
    Post edited by Free on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I can't believe this thread has degraded from a sincere remembrance of lives lost to a hateful attack on other parts of the world, most of the inhabitants of whom had not a thing to do with this tragedy.

Oh wait, this is AMT. Yeah, I guess I can believe. it. Sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

I can't believe this thread has degraded from a sincere remembrance of lives lost to a hateful attack on other parts of the world, most of the inhabitants of whom had not a thing to do with this tragedy.

Oh wait, this is AMT. Yeah, I guess I can believe. it. Sad.

brian it's a legit reaction to 9/11.
    Read that article I posted by the vet, Brian.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    g under p said:

My sister now works in the Freedom Tower and she was so nervous when her company moved there. She sees it as STILL. a target, I could only tell her that I'm pretty sure security has to be very high for all who work there. I totally forgot how she hates heights.

That said I've been in one of those Towers all the way to the top and I took many views looking down. I was amazed how tiny cars, trucks, trains, boats were. I love heights, I have no fear of it but I've imagined many times being in the shoes of those jumpers and thinking what might have been going through their minds. Looking around and KNOWING my end is near, that scary thought can crush any non fear one might have of heights. I think of that one particular jumper and how he may have come to that peaceful fate....then decided to jump head first to those at peace 11 seconds.

That brings me to this song performed by one of my all time favorite bands....LIVING COLOUR out of NYC.

Lyrics
    I had to get out

Fate has given me wings

Fate has given me wings
    I jumped…

Peace

I can see the lyrics being a parallel (haven't yet brought up the link, but I will).

Bless you, g.
    hedonist said:

g under p said:

Lyrics
    I had to get out

Fate has given me wings

Fate has given me wings
    I jumped…

Peace

I can see the lyrics being a parallel (haven't yet brought up the link, but I will).

Bless you, g.
    One would never guess who were a couple of the songwriters are......Rod Stewart and Ron Wood then another I can't recall.

Peace

Free said:

Good read and very appropriate.

I'm not going to argue with you McG. Please read the article I just mentioned a response to.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

Free said:

I'm not going to argue with you McG. Please read the article I just mentioned a response to.

good perspective but it's tough to ignore 9/11. worst attack on american soil in the history of our nation and people aren't pissed and should not remember?
    as a historian I do agree that it's impossible to win in afghansitan but as an american citizen I was 100% supportive of our troops there and in iraq.
    is the author of the article being objective or just a stereotypical liberal? (which i am also)
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    brianlux said:

Free said:

Well done by Nathan Wellman and I liked his big picture look on what atrocities that can come from getting into any war.

After 9/11....*We can bomb the world to pieces, but can't bomb it into peace*

Peace

g under p said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Well done by Nathan Wellman and I liked his big picture look on what atrocities that can come from getting into any war.

Peace

this was the worst attack on u.s. "soil" since 1941. what the heck did you expect us to do? go out and hug everyone responsible?
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Peace

this was the worst attack on u.s. "soil" since 1941. what the heck did you expect us to do? go out and hug everyone responsible?
    This is not the the day McGruff......*We could be heroes for just one day*. More of a time to have some grace under pressure.

Have a nice evening.

Peace

See you on on 9/12.

Over and out.

And for god's sake...

Peace.

g under p said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Peace

This is not the the day McGruff......*We could heroes for just one day*. More of a time to have some grace under pressure.

Have a nice evening.

Peace

not the day? are you kidding me? like i said, this was the worst attack on u.s. "soil" since 1941...what the heck did you expect us to do?
    ......ehbacon thank you for taking the time to do your research to find out a bit of our history on this day. I hope you will continue to post here on AMT.

Peace

Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

15 years?
    Yeah it took me 15 years to realize w was right to invade Iraq and Afghanistan. If I was the president and got the best intelligence possible presented to me I would have also done the same thing after 9/11. Something cliqued with me over the past few days.

No comment.
    yeah it took me 15 years to realize i was wrong. I really didn't share it with anyone. I always had W's back with Afghanistan but hated the Iraq choice; now I understand why I chose Iraq too.
  • and your logic for Iraq is...

and your logic for Iraq is...

the best intel at the moment.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    g under p said:

Lyrics
    I had to get out

Fate has given me wings

Fate has given me wings
    I jumped…

Peace

Got this going now. Very nice.

(in fact, my guy has been a fan of them for a while - turned me on to them when we met, as he has done for other great music)
  • Where do people get 1.5 million Iraqis killed? The War in Iraq started in March 20, 2003 and ended June 25, 2012. That is 3,385 days. That would mean the Coalition killed over 443 people a day in Iraq. That never happened. However I will concur with the 251,000 deaths that occurred.

https://www.iraqbodycount.org
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • unsung said:

unsung said:

I won't apologize that these people would still be alive if we didn't stick our noses in the middle east, but by all means don't let me ruin your day. Go fly your flags.

You must be a miserable person to be around.
    Only to those that go rah-rah based on a date.
    So everyone...got it.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Can people stop with the f**king self righteousness.

Geezuz man. I swear some people think their mom or dad on these forums. F**king annoying.

Scruffy... speak your mind. The US response to 9-11 is most certainly fair conversation here.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Can people stop with the f**king self righteousness.

Geezuz man. I swear some people think their mom or dad on these forums. F**king annoying.

Scruffy... speak your mind. The US response to 9-11 is most certainly fair conversation here.

Nah, it's off topic.

Now on topic, I just watched the last half of the movie "United 93" .....that was intense. It made me wonder if it would be better to be on one of the planes that crashed into one of the towers, oblivious to my fate. Or be on United 93, know I was fucked....but go out fighting.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Gordon M. Aamoth, Jr. S-49
    Edelmiro Abad S-40
    Marie Rose Abad S-34
    Andrew Anthony Abate N-57
    Vincent Paul Abate N-57
    Laurence Christopher Abel N-32
    Alona Abraham S-4
    William F. Abrahamson N-7
    Richard Anthony Aceto N-4
    Heinrich Bernhard Ackermann S-55
    Paul Acquaviva N-37