Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited June 2016
    Lol a straight red on that.

Yeah, was about to say that's a make up
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Lol a straight red on that.

Yeah, was about to say that's a make up

Yeah. That's ridiculous. This ref has zero control over this game.
    I fucking love a shit show of a soccer game. This is awesome
    Holy messi
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited June 2016
    lionel curry

so what's next for the USMNT? olympics? saturday was pretty disappointing, even though they played much better than the first time around vs columbia.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    The Fixer said:

lionel curry

so what's next for the USMNT? olympics? saturday was pretty disappointing, even though they played much better than the first time around vs columbia.

U.S. didn't even qualify for olympics. Olympics for the men are different....teams use their U-23 national teams and I think they can only have 3 players who are over 23. Weird rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

Next for USMNT is world cup qualifying for 2018 which picks back up in September I think. U.S. is already through to the last round of qualifying so these 2 games coming up don't matter much. The final round of qualifying for CONCACAF starts up in November...that's pretty intense.
    Some nice World Cup qualifying action on a Friday afternoon. Crazy that they're playing this game during the day because they don't have lights at the stadium in St. Vincent. Expecting at least a 5 goal win.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Some nice World Cup qualifying action on a Friday afternoon. Crazy that they're playing this game during the day because they don't have lights at the stadium in St. Vincent. Expecting at least a 5 goal win.

I don't think usa can put 5 on the board vs my 40 and older coed team!!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    Seriously when will USA soccer be able to compete for a world cup? What is the problem i don't get it? Do all of our top athletes just go to football, baseball, and basketball cause that's were the $$$ is. Women like soccer players I don't get it!
    Wma31394 said:

Seriously when will USA soccer be able to compete for a world cup? What is the problem i don't get it? Do all of our top athletes just go to football, baseball, and basketball cause that's were the $$$ is. Women like soccer players I don't get it!

I'm 33 and I fully expect to see the US win a world cup in my lifetime. They have one of the best youth development systems out there and I think they're just going to keep getting closer every 4 years. Part of it definitely is that most top athletes gravitate towards the main sports like football, basketball and baseball. Imagine if someone like Lebron played soccer....that's what usually happens for top athletes in most countries around the world.

Wma31394 said:

I'm 33 and I fully expect to see the US win a world cup in my lifetime. They have one of the best youth development systems out there and I think they're just going to keep getting closer every 4 years. Part of it definitely is that most top athletes gravitate towards the main sports like football, basketball and baseball. Imagine if someone like Lebron played soccer....that's what usually happens for top athletes in most countries around the world.
    I don't know..to me they have never really been close and you would think if their developmental programs are so good at least one guy would slip through the cracks and become a top hundred player in their career..i dont think any American has including Landon and Dempsey.
    Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

I don't know..to me they have never really been close and you would think if their developmental programs are so good at least one guy would slip through the cracks and become a top hundred player in their career..i dont think any American has including Landon and Dempsey.
    Yeah, they haven't been very close except in 20002 when they made the run to the quarterfinals. I think part of the problem is that a lot of American players decide to play in MLS. MLS is fine, but it's nothing compared to the top European leagues. There are a lot of young US players that are in Europe right now (Pulisic, Green, Zalelam, Hyndman, Miazga) so hopefully that trend continues. They have gotten out of the group stage in the past 2 world cups which is great, but it's time to start winning games in the knockout rounds.

Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

Yeah, they haven't been very close except in 20002 when they made the run to the quarterfinals. I think part of the problem is that a lot of American players decide to play in MLS. MLS is fine, but it's nothing compared to the top European leagues. There are a lot of young US players that are in Europe right now (Pulisic, Green, Zalelam, Hyndman, Miazga) so hopefully that trend continues. They have gotten out of the group stage in the past 2 world cups which is great, but it's time to start winning games in the knockout rounds.
    Agreed.
    Well they're pretty much guaranteed to move on to the Hex. A win tonight to win the group sure would be nice. And I think it's time for Pulisic to get in that starting lineup.....not sure what else Klinsmann needs to see from him.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited September 2016
    Wma31394 said:

if you live to 133 maybe. We are so far behind in talent level that even one LeBron playing isn't getting us a World Cup Championship. I surely don't expect to see it in my lifetime.
    Pulisic is so fucking good
    edited September 2016
    I think the US has a major problem with their youth development. Decent players don't get a real soccer coach until they are in their mid teens, if they are lucky. I had one good coach in the entire time I played, including college, and that was my ODP coach. Coaching has gotten better in recent years but there are way too many dads coaching soccer and not enough coaches with licenses. The good coaches are at expensive premier programs, which is great for suburban kids who can afford to travel the country playing in the best tournaments, but isn't helpful for the majority of the country.

The one thing I was most excited about klinsman was how he talked about overhauling our approach to youth soccer. From what I understand this has been a pretty major disappointment.

I do anticipate more players like pulisic (well not that good but you know) to start popping up here and there, but we need to have something better than high school to college (college is not exactly a great developmental path either) and praying to hit some lottery tickets. Every decent European player is in an academy by the time they are 10

There are a number of good prospects that indifference mentioned and we are definitely headed in the right direction but it is going to be very difficult to sustain any type of success if we can't rely on good players coming up on a regular basis. How many of them are coming from US development? 2? Pulisic and miazga? Yedlin? Too many are from recruiting dual citizens, which I am obviously a fan of and will only get easier as we get better but we need better coaching to sustain anything.

I am not willing to put a time frame on winning a World Cup. We need to concentrate on developing world class players, which it sure as hell doesn't hurt that the best player on the field tonight is 17...but I do fully anticipate them making serious runs at the semis in the not too distant future. We are going to be good sooner than later, it's inevitable, but winning the whole thing is a hell of a task.

The 3 best US players ever are Dempsey, Donovan and McBride...we gotta do better

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

So exciting when he gets the ball. Still can't believe he's only 17.....the hype has been real so far.

So exciting when he gets the ball. Still can't believe he's only 17.....the hype has been real so far.
    What's so amazing is how decisive he is with the ball at that age.

And now that run and pass...
    edited September 2016
    Why can't Jozy play that strong all the time?! I guess because he can't stay healthy

I think the US has a major problem with their youth development. Decent players don't get a real soccer coach until they are in their mid teens, if they are lucky. I had one good coach in the entire time I played, including college, and that was my ODP coach. Coaching has gotten better in recent years but there are way too many dads coaching soccer and not enough coaches with licenses. The good coaches are at expensive premier programs, which is great for suburban kids who can afford to travel the country playing in the best tournaments, but isn't helpful for the majority of the country.

The one thing I was most excited about klinsman was how he talked about overhauling our approach to youth soccer. From what I understand this has been a pretty major disappointment.

I do anticipate more players like pulisic (well not that good but you know) to start popping up here and there, but we need to have something better than high school to college (college is not exactly a great developmental path either) and praying to hit some lottery tickets. Every decent European player is in an academy by the time they are 10

There are a number of good prospects that indifference mentioned and we are definitely headed in the right direction but it is going to be very difficult to sustain any type of success if we can't rely on good players coming up on a regular basis. How many of them are coming from US development? 2? Pulisic and miazga? Yedlin? Too many are from recruiting dual citizens, which I am obviously a fan of and will only get easier as we get better but we need better coaching to sustain anything.

I am not willing to put a time frame on winning a World Cup. We need to concentrate on developing world class players, which it sure as hell doesn't hurt that the best player on the field tonight is 17...but I do fully anticipate them making serious runs at the semis in the not too distant future. We are going to be good sooner than later, it's inevitable, but winning the whole thing is a hell of a task.

The 3 best US players ever are Dempsey, Donovan and McBride...we gotta do better

As far as youth development, soccer is like the wild west when it comes to that. I just don't think there will ever be a standard development system like high school/college is for basketball, football, baseball is in the US. If you're a special talent, you'll be scooped up by one of these big clubs by the time you're 15-16 years old (like Pulisic was). I don't know much about the MLS youth academies, but there haven't been many guys that have come through those just yet.
    fucking pulisic!
    What a pass!

As far as youth development, soccer is like the wild west when it comes to that. I just don't think there will ever be a standard development system like high school/college is for basketball, football, baseball is in the US. If you're a special talent, you'll be scooped up by one of these big clubs by the time you're 15-16 years old (like Pulisic was). I don't know much about the MLS youth academies, but there haven't been many guys that have come through those just yet.
    That's the problem to me. They won't be playing against top talent until they are basically through high school. We need a program/system that somehow gets young talented players playing for good coaches against the best competition. We don't have that unless you can afford premier

Look at Spain, those guys played together for Barcelona since they were like 10. We can't compete with that.

MLS academies are a step in the right direction but have so far to go. They have some decent coaches but still nothing terribly special
    Couple impressive wins here though...
    edited September 2016
    Would like to see him finish better..haha jk unlucky twice tonight. Great turn and finish from jozy.
    Post edited by Wma31394 on

Good wins vs poor opponents..ill take it don't get me wrong.
    edited September 2016
    Wma31394 said:

Would like to see him finish better..haha jk unlucky twice tonight. Great turn and finish from jozy.

Ha dude, I was gonna say. Hit two posts today, has multiple goals for a top 15 club in the world and 3 international goals at 17

Concerned about his playing time at Dortmund. Definitely awesome getting to practice against that team but going to be tough to get too much time. Hope they make good decisions about when he gets loaned and where he goes. Going to need more consistent playing time soon.
    edited September 2016

Wma31394 said:

Ha dude, I was gonna say. Hit two posts today, has multiple goals for a top 15 club in the world and 3 international goals at 17.
    He's for real..speed, skill, decision making...strength will come.
    Post edited by Wma31394 on

Yep. 2 teams that they should destroy and they delivered.

Starting off the hex with Mexico then Costa Rica is pretty brutal.