U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Lol yikes 
    I know it isn't the full roster that will be playing in the gold cup but holy shit.  That was embarrassing.  Trapp was complete garbage in both of these losses...no clue why Berhalter insists on playing him in the defensive midfielder role over Tyler Adams..  Oh yeah it's because he coached Trapp in Columbus...what a joke.  And he wants to play Adams at right back when he is a natural for the 6 spot.  Group stage of gold cup shouldn't be an issue to get through but after that they better get their shit together because this past week was an absolute disaster.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Lol yikes 
    I know it isn't the full roster that will be playing in the gold cup but holy shit.  That was embarrassing.  Trapp was complete garbage in both of these losses...no clue why Berhalter insists on playing him in the defensive midfielder role over Tyler Adams..  Oh yeah it's because he coached Trapp in Columbus...what a joke.  And he wants to play Adams at right back when he is a natural for the 6 spot.  Group stage of gold cup shouldn't be an issue to get through but after that they better get their shit together because this past week was an absolute disaster.
    Horrible. What a shit show 
    edited June 2019
    I am actually not a big fan of what the women did today. I have been on the right and wrong side of enough 6 or 7 - 0 games to know how shitty that feels. Honestly not even fun scoring more at some point, unless it’s the last few guys on the bench. I stopped watching for the most part after 5 or so but was flicking back and forth with the yanks and saw them celebrating a goal or two between 10-13. Fuck outta here with celebrations at that point. If I was in that game, Alex Morgan wouldn’t be playing another minute in this tournament

and I am aware that this is probably the wrong take and I am an old man 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,395
    I am actually not a big fan of what the women did today. I have been on the right and wrong side of enough 6 or 7 - 0 games to know how shitty that feels. Honestly not even fun scoring more at some point, unless it’s the last few guys on the bench. I stopped watching for the most part after 5 or so but was flicking back and forth with the yanks and saw them celebrating a goal or two between 10-13. Fuck outta here with celebrations at that point. If I was in that game, Alex Morgan wouldn’t be playing another minute in this tournament

(Just questions)
    Would it have been worse if they just played keep-away and Toyed with them?

And, put a player out because their better then you?
    cutz said:

(Just questions)

On one of the better teams I played on, if we were up by 5, we had to connect 10 passes before taking a shot. It at least slows it down a good bit.

More for the fact she was in the game up by 10 and that’s stupid and they were celebrating goals 10-13
    Also, I said it’s not the right take
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,395
    cutz said:

(Just questions)

On one of the better teams I played on, if we were up by 5, we had to connect 10 passes before taking a shot. It at least slows it down a good bit.

More for the fact she was in the game up by 10 and that’s stupid and they were celebrating goals 10-13
    Think they made all of their substitutions before 10 goals.

.Cliffy6745 said:
    Also, I said it’s not the right take
    Kool
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293

goal differential is a part of the format.  hate the game not the playa.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    interview the coach asks, if it were the men at 10 would we be having this conversation?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    the celebrations is the embarrassing thing.  Goal differential isnt influenced by showing up your opponent as well as your home country
    MayDay10 said:
    the celebrations is the embarrassing thing.  Goal differential isnt influenced by showing up your opponent as well as your home country
    of all the goals, how many were scored by first time at the cup players?
    hmm? you tellin me after years of hard work and effort to even makr the team, then the work to get back to the WC, first timers are supposed to temper there joy at scoring in the WC?

yes.  
    gfy.

The Americans' 13 goals against Thailand were the most in a game in men's or women's World Cup history.

The United States men's national team has scored 12 World Cup goals in the past 6,202 days.

Alex Morgan is the just the second player in Women's World Cup history to score five goals in a single game. Michelle Akers was the first in 1991.

But to put blame on the United States ignores two obvious points. First, the Americans didn't make the rules under which the number of goals scored is part of deciding the outcome of the tournament. Goal differential counts. The U.S. women want to win their group. Unlike just about any other sport, they have a vested interest in running up the score.

And second, it isn't the United States' fault it can't clear its bench. It is allowed three subs. It used three subs.

"If this is 10-0 in a men's World Cup, are we getting the same questions?" U.S. coach Jill Ellis asked at repeated queries about the score. "I think a World Cup, it is about competing, it is about peaking, it is about priming your players ready for the next game."

But beyond that, why is it the obligation of the U.S. team to act in the interest of a creating a picture of a falsely level playing field. Why shouldn't FIFA or the Asian Confederation get blamed for not doing more to promote the women's game in places where it lags behind?

Are we really going to blame players for celebrating a goal, in many cases in their first World Cup, instead of looking at the underlying reasons for the disparity in the first place?

It's understandable that Thai players looked stunned and embarrassed after the game, far from the joyous scenes after they beat Ivory Coast in their World Cup debut four years ago. It is unfortunate for them. But it's also competition. Both sides of it.

"Obviously, we have the utmost respect for everyone we play," Rapinoe said. "But it's the World Cup, and that's part of it. That's part of growing the game and growing the pool."

Goal differential is irrelevant after about 7 goals...
    mickeyrat said:
    MayDay10 said:
    of all the goals, how many were scored by first time at the cup players?
    hmm? you tellin me after years of hard work and effort to even makr the team, then the work to get back to the WC, first timers are supposed to temper there joy at scoring in the WC?

Agree with you here.  Scoring a goal at the WC is just about the pinnacle of the sport.  How the hell are you not supposed to celebrate that?!?
    how hungry are the Thai women going to be in the next 2 games and future WCs?

mickeyrat said:
    how hungry are the Thai women going to be in the next 2 games and future WCs?
    Who cares
    The celebrations are ridiculous. 
    So you're on the US men's world cup team and you score your first WC goal in a blowout...you're telling me you wouldn't celebrate that??  Were the celebrations a bit much?  Probably.  But I'm not going to fault someone for celebrating something you dream of doing your whole life.
    So you're on the US men's world cup team and you score your first WC goal in a blowout...you're telling me you wouldn't celebrate that??  Were the celebrations a bit much?  Probably.  But I'm not going to fault someone for celebrating something you dream of doing your whole life.
    Goals 9-13 were scored from the 79th minute on and were scored by...

Rapinoe
    Morgan
    Pugh (1st world up goal)
    Morgan
    Lloyd

Not exactly first timers.  It is obnoxious, even if you get Pugh the benefit of the doubt.  The fact that Morgan was even playing is a disgrace.
    explain yourself.

when it is 10-0 and your embarrassing the other team and yourself.  It is safe to temper celebrations when the game is well in hand.... probably about 5-0.  You can be happy, show it, and not look like a clown show.

And playing the 'inequality' card is an incredibly lame move.  Men would be criticized as well if they did that.  

mickeyrat said:
    explain yourself.
    Because no one is going to score that many goals in the group. Get you can't really assume that, but no one is.
    mickeyrat said:
    explain yourself.
    Because no one is going to score that many goals in the group. Get you can't really assume that, but no one is.
    Ehhh Sweden will get the chance to play Thailand too.
    mickeyrat said:
    explain yourself.
    Ehhh Sweden will get the chance to play Thailand too.
    chile too.....

No one is scoring 10+ goals.  Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but tough to see.
    mickeyrat said:
    explain yourself.
    so total goals dont count in a tiebreak later on?

The US women's soccer team is not going to be in a tie break situation in group stage.
    The US women's soccer team is not going to be in a tie break situation in group stage.
    so what. all that is also used later on. right?