Options

Military Coup in Turkey

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Soon the rebellion will be crushed.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    It is way too soon for anybody to know what is happening. The coup is ongoing and controlling the media will be the key for both the military and the government. We will see crowds supporting both sides on tv but none of us will truly know what is happening on the ground. It will be a dangerous 24-48 hours.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181

Ertogan was probably behind the coup. Use it as an excuse to consolidate more power.

The Muslim world can't get its shit together.

this could explain why he was denied asylum in other countries. interesting way to think about it for sure.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

It is way too soon for anybody to know what is happening. The coup is ongoing and controlling the media will be the key for both the military and the government. We will see crowds supporting both sides on tv but none of us will truly know what is happening on the ground. It will be a dangerous 24-48 hours.

i agree. we don't know for sure, and there is confusion as to what we actually know.

ertogan has promised consequences. he had better be careful. if he executes the wrong people, there will be people rioting in the streets again.

someone said on another forum that the leader was an exiled cleric who is living in pennsylvania :eek:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    mcgruff10 said:

question, do you europeans look at turkey as more european or more of an outsider since the vast majority of turkey is in asia?

They are european ..at sports..way of life and all..has nothing to do like europe
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Who would the Islamist`s who attacked the Radiohead listening party want to be in power?
  • Options
    What a night...finnaly gives us permit so i can get some sleep..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    1563 military officers and soldiers arrested
  • Options
    60 people died..alot is police
    More than 1000 injured
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

BS44325 said:

i agree. we don't know for sure, and there is confusion as to what we actually know.

ertogan has promised consequences. he had better be careful. if he executes the wrong people, there will be people rioting in the streets again.

someone said on another forum that the leader was an exiled cleric who is living in pennsylvania :eek:
    Fethullah Gulen came here in 1999, and got to stay thanks to Bill Clinton. And has donated a lot to the Clinton Foundation. The controversial Islamic cleric’s cozy relationship doesn’t stop with the Clinton's. In October, Gulen’s religious movement was accused of secretly funding up to 200 trips to Turkey for members of Congress and staff since 2008, and according to the USA Today report these trips may have repeatedly violated House rules and possibly federal law.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/10/29/turkish-faith-movement-secretly-funded-200-trips-lawmakers-and-staff/74535104/

He has no worries about getting sent back to Turkey.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,553
    That was so fake..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149

Soon the rebellion will be crushed.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Reports that the coup is already falling apart.

Looks that way. Can't overthrow democracy
    Can't overthrow "democracy"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    194 dead so far
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited July 2016
    Kat said:

Do NATO members have any role to play in helping a NATO ally with this situation?

I have $20 that NATO & the US support the coup and knew it was coming...
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    The major American media sucks so bad... there is an ongoing military coup involving the 2nd largest military in NATO and all they are talking about is Trump's VP on CNN, MSNBC, and FOX
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    my2hands said:

Kat said:

Do NATO members have any role to play in helping a NATO ally with this situation?

I have $20 that NATO & the US support the coup and knew it was coming...
    Naw.... then they should have made sure it was a "real" coup supported by a bigger part of the army.

It was like this coup was stopped by the masses of unnarmed civilians pretty much?!

Feels like The Rock. With Ed Harris bluffing.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    265 dead over 1.054 injured. 2.839 arrest so far
  • Options
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    8 military officer with a helicopter came land to Greece and ask for political asylum..
    Cos the penalty for the coup is death..
    Greece military arrest them
    They saying that they didnt know they took part in a coup..thought was a military drill..and learn about the coup from media.
    Turkey ask Greece to give them.back so pass trial in turkey
    I guess very soon we will give them.to turkey authorities
  • Options

8 military officer with a helicopter came land to Greece and ask for political asylum..
    They saying that they didnt know they took part in a coup..thought was a military drill..and learn about the coup from media.

Turkey doesn't have the death penalty (?) anymore.

If these people are facing the death penalty, wouln't it go against EU rules to send them back?
  • Options

If these people are facing the death penalty, wouln't it go against EU rules to send them back?
    Thats the deal..penalty is death..but means life in prison..and ertogan can change it for this specific reason
    Do u really think turkey will be ever member of EU??not going to happen..noone want a country powerfull of 80 million citizens..never gonna happen
    And yes..is against Lausanne treaty to give back someone to.country ask them if has death penalty when he asks for political asylum
    But as u understand that means if greece r ssys no will be a mess and diplomat episode
    Noone wants that..and no matter what they made a coup against goverment electednfrom people..we will give them back for sure
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan told a crowd chanting for the death penalty on Saturday that such demands may be discussed in parliament after a coup attempt by a faction in the military killed at least 161 people overnight.

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/reuters/news/report/20160716_Reuters_I7N18201B_Erdogan_says_Turkey_may_discuss_death_penalty_after_coup_attempt.html

Looks like they might shortly.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654

Thats the deal..penalty is death..but means life in prison..and ertogan can change it for this specific reason
    Do u really think turkey will be ever member of EU??not going to happen..noone want a country powerfull of 80 million citizens..never gonna happen
    And yes..is against Lausanne treaty to give back someone to.country ask them if has death penalty when he asks for political asylum
    But as u understand that means if greece r ssys no will be a mess and diplomat episode
    Noone wants that..and no matter what they made a coup against goverment electednfrom people..we will give them back for sure
    Wow. So did they give them back yet Dimitris??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ertogan is demanding that gulen be returned to turkey.

is high treason punishable by death? it used to be. i thought that was the one main reason DP can still be used? isn't that why all of these countries that execute people conveniently charge most of the perps with treason related crimes?

• Options

ertogan is demanding that gulen be returned to turkey.

is high treason punishable by death? it used to be. i thought that was the one main reason DP can still be used? isn't that why all of these countries that execute people conveniently charge most of the perps with treason related crimes?

The death penalty was removed 10-15 years ago in Turkey. They might bring it back. But then I don't see how Greece could return the fugitives...
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    TL170678 said:

Who would the Islamist`s who attacked the Radiohead listening party want to be in power?

Erdogan
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow. So did they give them back yet Dimitris??
    Ok...already now we tslking turkish military arrive to greece to take back the turkish militsry helicopter
    As for 8 prisoners the going now to DA office..for the moment the charge in greece is illigal arrival in greece and attempt to create problem in interantional relationship between 2 countries
    So i guess after he charge them,monday morning will have the trial..after that it takes 8 days to answer turkey(or any other country ask ti return someone) about their demand to give them back..but..those 8 asked for political asylum..means greek authorities needs to go by international laws and check if there are reasons not to give them back,,for exable cant return to a country has death penalty....so in 2-3 weeks tops will be back to turkey
    The only statement turkish aythorities did for this matter was"in turkey we dont have death penalty"
    Greek authorities said"we will act by the international laws,BUT we will check very carefully the fact that those 8 military officer wanted to take down a democratic electer goverment of their country"
    So if u ask me..we will give them back for sure but we will play the "we act by the book of interantional laws"
  • Options
    Νever in history, a failed coup established a powerful dictator..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.