Options

Military Coup in Turkey

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,237
edited July 2016 in A Moving Train
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited July 2016
    Crazy man. From what I read briefly about 10 minutes ago, the coup is failing. But I don't know if that is just political rhetoric or true. In fact, the government won't even acknowledge the term "coup", lol. Okay buddy. Sounds like an attempted coup to me, but whatever. I have seen nothing about the motivations or political stance of those attempting this. Sinister? Noble? No idea.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    What could go wrong?

I guess building yourself a 1,100 room palace for a billion dollars might draw some negative attention ...
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    Do NATO members have any role to play in helping a NATO ally with this situation?

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,043
    Kat said:

Do NATO members have any role to play in helping a NATO ally with this situation?

I'd say no. this is an internal thing. nato deals with the external.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    Kat said:

I think if they are asked by the government to help they are obligated to do so.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I saw a report that the military stated all current relations will stay the same and that the coup is to retain democracy. Their prez had been centralizing power.
  • Options
    So weird this can happen in a European country in 2016. Even if Erdogan (or whatever his name is) is a fucking idiot.

Man. The world.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    This will be the sixth military coup in Turkey since 1960 if it's really happening.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,413
    Yeah..just got call from work..we are in alert cos of the coup in turkey and we all going in the base and be prepared for anything
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,625
    Doesn't sound like a good thing...
  • Options
    Military got airport..got all bridges..a helicopter fired at a building..military gave order to citizens not to be in streets
    Frim the other hand alot of mayors of cities telling people to go on the streets and demostrate against military
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PM denied landing in Istanbul. Seeking asylum in Germany
  • Options
    Seems Erdogan have fled in his private jet.

And the military are in control?
  • Options
  • Options
    Um, Chuck Todd just said there is a possibility that we have nuclear weapons in Turkey...
  • Options
    Kat said:

Not really ..but usa will pressure for sure this to end asap...ertogan.turkish president destroy all relationships with allies and in in fight with all!!from usa and russia to israel and syria..
    Facebook.twitter all social medis is down at turkwy
    The military took over national tv as well
  • Options
    Now it seems that Erdogan have landed in Istanbul?
  • Options

I juat saw the skype call he did..not sure where he did it from
  • Options

I juat saw the skype call he did..not sure where he did it from
    #Turkey Erdogan in airplane, refused landing at #Istanbul, now trying to seek asylum in Germany, US defense officials say, @MSNBC
  • Options

Um, Chuck Todd just said there is a possibility that we have nuclear weapons in Turkey...

You (the US) have nuclear weapons in Turkey.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    This is internal and NATO has no part to play. Erdogan has not been an ally to the west and has become more authoritarian and Islamist over the years. Based on his behaviour and Turkish history this coup was bound to happen at some point. The west has no incentive to prop up his regime.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,970
    edited July 2016
    question, do you europeans look at turkey as more european or more of an outsider since the vast majority of turkey is in asia?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    mcgruff10 said:

question, do you europeans look at turkey as more european or more of an outsider since the vast majority of turkey is in asia?

We see them as more European than Asian certainly. However we do acknowledge the obvious differences. They're kind of in a cultural limbo of sorts
  • Options
    Don't think this is going to work...

I am all for a secular government and military but this is a democracy
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Reports that the coup is already falling apart.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Reports that the coup is already falling apart.

Looks that way. Can't overthrow democracy
  • Options
    Where is all this traffic going?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,190
    i read an hour ago that he was seeking asylum in tehran. can't find that info right now though.

we are in crazy times.

is this going to be the arab summer?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited July 2016
    This article makes me sympathise with the military. Criminalising adultery?!

http://www.thejournal.ie/turkey-coup-explainer-whats-going-on-2880911-Jul2016/?utm_source=facebook_short
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    edited July 2016
    Ertogan was probably behind the coup. Use it as an excuse to consolidate more power.

The Muslim world can't get its shit together.