Options

Military Coup in Turkey

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Soon the rebellion will be crushed.

Their betrayal will be dealt with.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

1563 military officers and soldiers arrested

Their betrayal will be dealt with.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,044
    erdogan seems to have had extensive lists of names in place for turkey to have arrested so many , so quickly.

for me it indicates the coup was staged.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,413
    mickeyrat said:

erdogan seems to have had extensive lists of names in place for turkey to have arrested so many , so quickly.

for me it indicates the coup was staged.

for me shows,that he knew was coming,he knew can beat them and let it happen so he can clear all after and put all his peoiple everywhere
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    Are we watching the early stages of a democracy turning into a dictatorship?
  • Options

Are we watching the early stages of a democracy turning into a dictatorship?

no I think that tipping point wzs reached a couple years ago . constitutional changes. tenure changes, hard no bend or give stance with the kurds.

pieces have been in place and tested to a degree.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    15000!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36838347?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

More than 15,000 education staff in Turkey have been suspended after last week's failed coup, as a purge of state officials widens still further.

The Ministry of Education accused them of links to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric the Turkish government says was behind Friday's uprising.

Mr Gulen denies any involvement with the coup attempt .

Turkey's High Education board has also ordered the resignation of over 1,500 university deans, state media reported.

It comes after Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim vowed to take action against Mr Gulen's supporters.

"I'm sorry but this parallel terrorist organisation will no longer be an effective pawn for any country," Mr Yildirim said, according to Reuters.

"We will dig them up by their roots so that no clandestine terrorist organisation will have the nerve to betray our blessed people again."

Thousands of soldiers, police and officials have been detained or sacked since Friday's coup attempt.

More than two dozen generals, including former air force chief Gen Akin Ozturk, have been remanded in custody pending the setting of trial dates. Gen Ozturk denies any involvement.

Meanwhile, the UN urged Turkey to uphold the rule of law and defend human rights in its response to the attempted coup.

In a statement, High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said the mass suspension or removal of judges was "cause for serious alarm". He expressed "deep regret" at suggestions the death penalty could be reinstated.

According to official figures from the prime minister's office, Friday night's coup attempt left 232 people dead and 1,541 wounded.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    Seems to me like it would have been pretty okay if the coup had succeeded. It's like Erdogan was just waiting for this to happen so that he could crack down on people's rights. Hell, maybe he even helped it happen.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Seems to me like it would have been pretty okay if the coup had succeeded. It's like Erdogan was just waiting for this to happen so that he could crack down on people's rights. Hell, maybe he even helped it happen.

yeah
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ikm really pissed how all this effect my life,greece life and all..
    cos they have a shitty system,a shitty goverment and fuckied up military
  • Options
    its really getting crazy..ertogan gave order..the ones who was part of the coup and died..not allowed to get buried!!
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    banning foriegn travel for them too.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Well, we have seen what happens when the crazy dictator gets taken out of control in this region in the past decade. The results have not been good.

If I was Putin, I would take out a fighter jet to see how NATO reacts.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Well, we have seen what happens when the crazy dictator gets taken out of control in this region in the past decade. The results have not been good.

well the 2 pilots who shot the MiG down were arrested too.

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Of course many are saying this was a botched CIA plot....From what I've read, Erdogan has reached out to Iran and Russia over the past few weeks, which sent NATO into panic mode. Maybe he's finally accepting that western support for the Kurds and the Ralph Peters map point to the real NATO objective for Turkey. Erdogan won't maintain power much longer. And when he's gone, you can bet on conflict that will divide the country.

This keeps looking more and more like a road map...image
  • Options
    Of course I'm totally guessing. I figured Assad would be long gone by now. It's all pointing toward that damn map - slow and steady...
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

well the 2 pilots who shot the MiG down were arrested too.
    I was thinking it would be a good time for Russia to test NATO's bluff and force Turkey out and destroy NATO if the other nations don't come to defend.
  • Options
    There is no way the US was behind this with Obama at the helm. If Cheney was still there, yeah, maybe a chance.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

There is no way the US was behind this with Obama at the helm. If Cheney was still there, yeah, maybe a chance.

I agree. No way in hell. I think that Erdogan is behind it.
  • Options
    this is out of hand ..no human rights in turkey..lol..wtf..
  • Options
    yep. now we're cooking
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/21/turkey-parliament-expected-to-pass-erdogan-emergency-measures?CMP=fb_gu

Turkey has said it will suspend the European convention on human rights during a state of emergency declared in the aftermath of last weekend’s coup attempt.

“Turkey will suspend the European convention on human rights insofar as it does not conflict with its international obligations,” the deputy prime minister, Numan Kurtulmus, was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency.

The state of emergency will allow the government to rule by decree, passing bills that have the force of the rule of law unless they are overturned by parliament, where the majority of MPs belong to the ruling Justice and Development (AK) party.

Turkish officials insisted the lives and freedoms of citizens would not be affected, and that western powers such as France had recently taken similar measures. But concerns have mounted among both opponents and allies that the move will further consolidate President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s power.

article continues

• Options
    edited July 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

I agree. No way in hell. I think that Erdogan is behind it.
    I guess if you buy the company line in regards to Libya, Ukraine, Syria, it's easy to blame the person the media is promoting as the instigator...why would you think any differently in this instance if you believe our altruistic intentions in those conflicts, right? Obama hasn't launched a full scale invasion anywhere....he likes to train well intentioned freedom fighters. maybe he's a a lil reactionary, but overall he's just a peaceful dude.
    are there no other influences in Washington? Or is The commander in chief solely responsible for foreign policy? We can blame Cheney for bush's fuck ups, but Obama is some kind of supreme leader who acts alone. Got it.
    Big picture, long term: the fracturing of Turkey benefits the west. It would serve as a reward for the Kurds support in Syria....who would would then be indebted to the US for their sovereignty. The US would then, by puppet regime proxy, have control of the vast majority of both Iraqi and Syrian oil fields (if we use the map above as a blueprint). Also heard that the US is moving ahead with building military bases along a proposed pipeline route in Syria. We need to look at this from a geopolitical perspective encompassing the major power's goals in the region. Can't help but feel it's short sited to look at this from a completely Turkish domestic position of whether it was Erdogan or the army instigating this.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I have not seen a single thing where the media promoted Erdogan as the instigator. I actually haven't seen much about the coup at all since it happened because I haven't been consuming the media, and then i just saw that Erdogan is rounding up all these people including educators, mass arrests, and is now talking about killing a bunch of them. I drew my own conclusions (well, guesses, really) just as you seem to be. We both have good reasons for our guesses at who might have been behind the coup, if anyone besides the actual folks who did it were involved. Not sure why you felt the need to drag the "you buy the company line" suggestion in or the Obama comments TBH. Seems a bit condescending.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Wasn't meant to be condescending, apologies. Busy af and don't have time to choose my words carefully. I was addressing both you and Jason in my response...Jason and I have found ourselves to have opposing opinions on who is pulling strings on the geopolitical stage many times...he blames Putin as often as I blame the US ;)
    I have seen suggestions that Erdogan staged a 'false flag' in order to round up dissidents and consolidate power. Don't have time to find links, but even if that suggestion is somewhat minimal in the mainstream, the general consensus reporting has demonized Erdogan. Not that it is t warranted criticism; his actions have been beyond heavy handed....but I'm always leery of letting the media set my opinions of leaders in far-off lands that operate in a totally different culture and political atmosphere than we have in the west. Erdogan being behind the coup does make sense on some levels if he truly is pivoting from NATO to Rus/Iran. But it seems very extreme when he had already initiated the pivot prior to the coup attempt - it makes more sense to me that the US interest in installing a military dictatorship run by historically very pro-NATO leaders, would outweigh Erdogan's interest in quashing dissent- risking civil war and popular uprising as a result of his own staged coup, when there is a significant population already looking to separate.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    Drowned, you know exactly what's going on, man ...